Newly elected GOP congressman (NY) appears to have lied about ... EVERYTHING

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 10, 2005
Apparently, Mr. Santos is also wanted in Brazil for an old case of check fraud:

But an older criminal case may be more pressing: Brazilian law enforcement authorities intend to revive fraud charges against Mr. Santos, and will seek his formal response, prosecutors said on Monday.

The matter, which stemmed from an incident in 2008 regarding a stolen checkbook, had been suspended for the better part of a decade because the police were unable to locate him.
Just a month before his 20th birthday, Mr. Santos entered a small clothing store in the Brazilian city of Niterói outside Rio de Janeiro. He spent nearly $700 using a stolen checkbook and a false name, court records show.

Mr. Santos admitted the fraud to the shop owner in August 2009, writing on Orkut, a popular social media website in Brazil, “I know I screwed up, but I want to pay.” In 2010, he and his mother told the police that he had stolen the checkbook of a man his mother used to work for, and used it to make fraudulent purchases.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
let's just extradite this motherfucker to Brazil, yes? Put him on a plane with Nosetube Bolsonaro?

Hear! Hear! Or have him keel hauled all the way there, hoping some starving Great White shark takes an interest in taste testing his ass.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
LOL this guy is hilarious. What rock did he crawl out from under?

And what happened with the press during his campaign? I heard that one local paper in Long Island ran a piece with some of this stuff, but it never even made it to the nightly news, let alone national news. Come on guys. This is what the Fourth Estate is for.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I guess the Repub caucus is having a more important issue to deal with at the moment, although based on past performance, the leadership is going to play dumb and hope it all goes away by the time the House leader is seated, of which it won't.

It seems the folks that put this poser up for elected office and financed his run were laughing their asses off that the ruse actually worked but are now half-way to un-extraditable locales or already there.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
More details about the Brazilian charges:

Rep.-elect George Santos admitted to using stolen checks in Brazil in 2008, documents show | CNN Politics

Looks like he took checks from his mother who was holding them for her patient (she was a nurse) and purchased $1300 worth of clothes and shoes. The police documents also include a SIGNED CONFESSION. After police repeatedly tried to get him to appear in court, the judge suspended statute of limitations so the case could be reopened whenever Santos had been relocated.

What a great guy, stealing from the elderly. With a signed confession plus signed witness statements, he's toast.

I particularly like this line:

He also told police he was an American with dual citizenship, was White and a professor, police documents show.

"A professor". I'm surprised he didn't include that on his CV as well as all the other BS.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
If Santos were a Democrat he would already be gone. Think I'm wrong? Ask former Sen Al Franken.

Dems have an ethical core

Yet if you ask any random projectionist Repub on the street, it's the Liberals that are unethical un-American morally bankrupt sub-human anti-religious heathen.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Lol Dem house representative, we can’t trust Santos with any type of intelligence information. He may trade it when he gets extradited to Brazil to get off. He doesn’t even deserve to take out the trash.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Yet if you ask any random projectionist Repub on the street, it's the Liberals that are unethical un-American morally bankrupt sub-human anti-religious heathen.
Republican logic:
- Make up some bizarre straw liberal that has little to no basis in reality, or is a gross false equivalence,
- Do whatever bad behavior was made up about straw liberal,
- Defend that bad behavior by complaining that straw liberal gets away with it so why can't they?
- Liberals are hypocrites.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
I doubt he has even an iota of political conviction in being a repub, but just latched on to the side he believed may help his election chances. He cares about no one, not even his own mother by subjecting her to the trouble and embarrassment of stealing others property given to her for safe keeping.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Unicorn found. Small group of Republicans call for the resignation of George Santos. His home district in New York
Republicans Kick George Santos to the Curb (msn.com)

And then .... Soon after the Nassau County Republican leaders urged Congressman George Santos to resign. Queens County GOP Chairman said he would not be calling for Santos’ resignation (at this time).

“It’s a shame that he fluffed [his past],” Nunziato said. “But why are we doing this to him? Because he has an ‘R’ next to his name? It’s all fluff; it’s not real stuff.”

“The people voted him in because of what he wants to do with his area: supporting police, securing the borders, bringing back money. They voted for him for what his beliefs are — not whether he was ‘Jew-ish,’ or whatever,” Nunziato added.

Same narrative with McCarthy. They won't ask him to resign until he's indicted/convicted. His finances stink to high heavens, and it looks like really incompetent fraud and embezzlement. We'll see how long they keep this rancid rotting stinker on their boat.

Reactions: hal2kilo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
And then .... Soon after the Nassau County Republican leaders urged Congressman George Santos to resign. Queens County GOP Chairman said he would not be calling for Santos’ resignation (at this time).

Same narrative with McCarthy. They won't ask him to resign until he's indicted/convicted. His finances stink to high heavens, and it looks like really incompetent fraud and embezzlement. We'll see how long they keep this rancid rotting stinker on their boat.
I like how they seem to realize he lied about everything but remain strangely credulous about his campaign promises.