New Zen microarchitecture details

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Knowing AMD? Past performance??AMD has a lot to prove in CPUs????? Were you not around in the a64 days?

That's how many years ago? And based on failures from the other company.

Look at the Pentium M. The K8 had no chance in laptop and Pentium M beated K8 in performance/watt anytime.

The last positive CPU AMD had was Bobcat. And they made sure it wouldn't have success themselves.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
TDP isn't power usage and there are multiple ways to calculate it. This is best seen in GPU where Nvidia since years basically has been lying about their TDP, eg. actually power use isn't that much smaller than AMD but the TDP is usually 50% less than for AMD comparable card. AMD could do the same thing here in CPU space.

Plus Skylake TDP is with the iGPU. If you disable it the CPU itself won't use that much.

How did you manage to get my name in that quote you replied to? :eek:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
If people really think AMDs 14nm will beat Intels 14nm in performance /watt using Zen they should throw all their money in AMD stocks. Because the stock will raise to 40$+ in a flash. Now if you dont really think so, then of course you wouldn't want to put your money there.

Then we can talk about relative performance.

JDG1980

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2013
If people really think AMDs 14nm will beat Intels 14nm in performance /watt using Zen they should throw all their money in AMD stocks. Because the stock will raise to 40$+ in a flash. Now if you dont really think so, then of course you wouldn't want to put your money there.

Then we can talk about relative performance.

I don't recall anyone saying AMD would flat-out beat Intel in perf/watt with Zen, just that they would get back to a competitive position.

I don't have any financial stake in AMD or Intel and don't pay much attention to all the stock and earnings reports that seem to fascinate you so much. What about you? Do you have a financial stake in any of these companies?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I don't recall anyone saying AMD would flat-out beat Intel in perf/watt with Zen, just that they would get back to a competitive position.

I don't have any financial stake in AMD or Intel and don't pay much attention to all the stock and earnings reports that seem to fascinate you so much. What about you? Do you have a financial stake in any of these companies?

None. Also I dont invest with emotions either. ;)

If you dont believe so, then I think its fair to disregard those rumours/hopes/hypes that puts it so. Dont you think?

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013

Of course he has intel stock. Why else would he evangelize so much. Not that I'm dissimilar because I have like 14 amd stocks... I'm poor.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Of course he has intel stock.

I have never owned Intel stocks directly. And I dont own any now. I had some via an investment fund in global dividend stocks. But I have sold those.

Why else would he evangelize so much. Not that I'm dissimilar because I have like 14 amd stocks... I'm poor.

You seem to mix emotions and business. When you created a fansite dedicated to AMD it went over the edge. apusilicon.com is yours isn't it?

Learn to separate business and emotions. It will save you a lot of money and trouble. And you can avoid buying inferior products due to company loyalty.

Aug 11, 2008
@ cameron: Here we go again. The old "if they dont buy the hype they must have Intel stock" mantra. You do realize that you basically called another poster a liar? I also dont buy all the hype, and I have zero stocks. Or do you think I am lying too?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Everyone not believing in Bulldozer was also liars, AMD haters, shills and similar.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
@ cameron: Here we go again. The old "if they dont buy the hype they must have Intel stock" mantra. You do realize that you basically called another poster a liar? I also dont buy all the hype, and I have zero stocks. Or do you think I am lying too?
Sorry I just lump in all the haters together, also I don't really care if you don't buy the hype, me neither. I would just prefer if every thread didn't devolve into derpdozer herp de derp. Do you ever see me trolling nvidia or Intel threads? Don't see why you guys must constantly aid in lowering the signal/noise ratio with constant trolling and negativity.

@shintai Also, what is wrong if I have a blog dedicated to the things I like? I don't claim to be unbiased nor do I misrepresent the truth like some of you do. I buy my own hardware and I talk straight about it. At least you know where I'm coming from.

rainy

Jul 17, 2013
None. Also I dont invest with emotions either. ;)

I'm long enough on AT forum to know that AMD is clearly your obsession - the best proof is history of your posts.

Btw, congratulations on successfully derailing another AMD thread.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Sorry I just lump in all the haters together, also I don't really care if you don't buy the hype, me neither. I would just prefer if every thread didn't devolve into derpdozer herp de derp. Do you ever see me trolling nvidia or Intel threads? Don't see why you guys must constantly aid in lowering the signal/noise ratio with constant trolling and negativity.

@shintai Also, what is wrong if I have a blog dedicated to the things I like? I don't claim to be unbiased nor do I misrepresent the truth like some of you do. I buy my own hardware and I talk straight about it. At least you know where I'm coming from.

I appreciate your disclosing of your affiliation. But at the same time you really have put all your eggs in one basket. And I assume that's why you can easily start to label others. Instead of looking at the reality. And lets be honest, you bet on an underdog with everything against it. Yet you expect to be on the "winning team".

Aug 11, 2008

Your allegiances are clear, but usually your posts are reasonable. I was surprised this time. I have no idea at all why certain posters favor one company or another, and actually I dont really care. The posts "are what they are" no matter what the motivation behind them.

I just get tired of the "they hate AMD, they must own Intel stock" being thrown about just as much as you hate what you see as AMD bashing. And really, if one did own AMD or Intel stock, I dont think what is said in some forum is really going to influence the price.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Funnily enough, terrace215's prediction was much closer to reality than some arrogant people who mocked him.

Quite right. And he got banned for saying it. A tragic story against the truth and reality.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Quite right. And he got banned for saying it. A tragic story against the truth and reality.

This very thread topic doesnt interest you.?.

Funnily enough, terrace215's prediction was much closer to reality than some arrogant people who mocked him.

I remind you that this time they announced more than 40% better IPC, so we dont need of tengential and non relevant estimations since we have the number from the start, or are you saying that Lisa Su is lying when stating this number, because you have of course all the elements to know better than her...

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
Your allegiances are clear, but usually your posts are reasonable. I was surprised this time. I have no idea at all why certain posters favor one company or another, and actually I dont really care. The posts "are what they are" no matter what the motivation behind them.

I just get tired of the "they hate AMD, they must own Intel stock" being thrown about just as much as you hate what you see as AMD bashing. And really, if one did own AMD or Intel stock, I dont think what is said in some forum is really going to influence the price.
You would be surprised what grass roots campaigning can do. That's why shilling is frowned upon. Besides we've all seen what rumors and speculation can do to a companies stock -especially volatile stock like amd's. So if you think that a popular forum such as this doesn't have at least a miniscule amount of sway, I would reconsider.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
You would be surprised what grass roots campaigning can do. That's why shilling is frowned upon. Besides we've all seen what rumors and speculation can do to a companies stock -especially volatile stock like amd's. So if you think that a popular forum such as this doesn't have at least a miniscule amount of sway, I would reconsider.

So you are saying your promotion on this site and blog is for the benefit of AMD?

I think you vastly overestimate forum and blog potential.

I dont even think AMD themselves knows at this point how Zen actually is going to perform in SKUs.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
As expected more derailment. I'm done here.

Good, especially because you started it with the stocks talk. ;)

Do you ever see me trolling nvidia or Intel threads?

Lately, no. But you had your share at the Bay Trail/Cherry Trail thread before you bought an Intel-based tablet.

Last edited:

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
Lol, this reminds me of what the AMD fans were saying on the eve of the Derpdozer launch.
To be comparable, we need an AMD rep in this forum repeating that IPC will be higher (maybe meaning the module), while the uarch already showed narrower cores. On 09/04/29 I already cited "2 ALUs and 2 AGUs" per core from the patents. I think these "official" claims by JF where misleading, causing a cognitive dissonance which led to erratic behavior of forum members.

Ok, so you mean, it's comparable. Based on what? ;)

Zen might be different, but to borrow the words of swilli89, "knowing AMD" it'll under-perform comparable Intel parts. Past performance is the best indicator of future performance and AMD has a lot to prove in CPUs.
This was the base for applying Gauss Copula models to the financial markets leading to the subprime mortgage crisis. :)

But as NTBMK said, it's good to have some salt in a discussion without new data points regarding clock frequency and power.

Last edited:

deasd

Dec 31, 2013
Oh, my ignore list getting longer. Feel sorry about this forum. I have foresaw this thread would be screwed up because it's some good news related to AMD. I wouldn't reply until some valuable posts are here.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Yes I am quite aware. Yet its still nowhere to be seen or found.

We are 7-8 months from ZEN release, by now AMD should be preparing to start the production of ZEN and you saying they dont actually know how its going to perform ???

We havent seen KabyLake either, are you saying Intel doesnt know how its actually going to perform ???

Really man, you always have to talk negative on an AMD thread no matter what.