New Zen microarchitecture details

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JDG1980

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2013
Your link is based on a water cooling setup.

That might make a difference of a few watts (lower temperatures do increase perf/watt a bit). But we know you don't need water cooling to push 5960X to 3.5-4.0 GHz. A decent air cooler will do just fine. If you do use closed-loop water cooling, retail 5960X samples can all hit 4.5 GHz.

Furthermore, AMD has not been reluctant to ship default watercooled parts in the past. If they think doing so will get them at or near the top of the charts, why not do it again? (That said, I doubt we'll see this kind of stuff in Zen's first wave. Probably more likely as a refresh in 2017.)

Intel held way back with the 5960X's stock clocks.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
It didn't do so in the past, yet it will in the future. No.

Why is CPU different than other goods? Your statement is just false, too. There was a time when buying AMD CPU was better, so they weren't priced identical. As you know, Intel resorted to bad behaviors when the Pentium 3 had run out of gas and the P4 was dead in the water. Right now, buying AMD makes no sense for the price besides Nvidia vs. AMD graphics.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
You have to remember that the 5960X has 20 MB of L3 and a quad channel memory controller. That takes up a bit of juice.

.......and 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes, although I don't know how much power this takes compared to a processor with a lesser amount of lanes (eg, Broadwell-D octocore).

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
As a long time linux user i'm very happy with the open source drivers for AMD.
They have really stepped it up the past 2yrs, i'll only buy AMD video cards for this reason now.
FGLRX is less relevant these days, their plan is to develop in the open and have the open drivers eventually replace it completely. Nvidia still puts all their effort towards their closed driver which has traditionally been the best for linux gaming, while their open drivers suck because they have to be reversed engineered with little or no official support.

One of my hopes is that AMD could fully dedicate Zen APUs to mobile (which IMO is a better justification for HBM compared to having to sell such an APU on AM4 desktop). Then with Zen APUs off desktop there is less conflict for AMD selling lower end or even midrange desktop dGPU.

Greater presence of Radeon desktop GPU (compared to what we see today with Nvidia dominating the low end) I'm thinking should help encourage Linux development. That and (to a much lesser extent) having a known quantity of Windows 10 (or non-Windows 10) Zen APU laptop models known to support Linux secure boot.

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
They can't really; that would kill any interest OEMs would have with the desktop parts.

For basic desktop usage they would probably have a small iGPU Zen APU (without HBM) available.

Maybe 2C/4T with single channel if the current trend continues.

With enough clockspeed it should work for office duty.

But a big iGPU Zen APU (especially with HBM) is IMO just too specialized for use in a non-space constrained environment like conventional desktop (ie, AM4).

Then there is the issue AMD has with desktop OEMs where it appears they don't have enough volume or presence with the big iGPU APUs to compete with Intel. See my example here.

Aug 11, 2008
So? They weren't able to do it, so what's your point? Why don't you assume the same of Intel? It's also quite rich because you assume the worst of AMD with a strong competitor, yet think Intel will be so benevolent as to lower prices if AMD is gone. It's illogical and inconsistent. So why would I think the performance/$ remains unchanged regardless of whether Zen is high/low clocks or high/low IPC? Something would give, but I certainly agree that it wouldn't be a $100-200 bonanza.

What we are talking about is Zen's pricing. I am with Shintai on that one. My personal opinion is that Zen will not be the magical performer that some in these forums are predicting. Some of the predictions are quite.......optimistic to say the least.

However, even more absurd is the continuing contention that if AMD does pull off this 5960x performance in a 95 watt envelope that it will somehow be priced well below x99. Just look at their recent pricing history for Fury X, the 9590, and even the latest APUs, every new top end model of which is being released at close to locked i5 prices. Even Su herself has said AMD no longer wants to be the bargain alternative. AMD is currently the "bargain alternative" for a reason...lack of performance and high power usage. I am sure initially Zen will be in short supply, and if it is the magical performer that some predict, they will sell every one they can. Not even AMD marketing is inept enough to sell a top end performing part, supply constrained, at a relative discount.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015

CentroX

Apr 3, 2016
Anyone else going all AMD when summit ridge launches? If summit ridge is better then my 4820K then i will switch teams. I am looking forward to go zen + polaris in 2016.

Bye bye intel, wont miss your shitty upgrades.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
Anyone else going all AMD when summit ridge launches? If summit ridge is better then my 4820K then i will switch teams. I am looking forward to go zen + polaris in 2016.

be careful, some folks around here don't like when you are excited for AMD parts.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
However, even more absurd is the continuing contention that if AMD does pull off this 5960x performance in a 95 watt envelope that it will somehow be priced well below x99. Just look at their recent pricing history for Fury X, the 9590, and even the latest APUs, every new top end model of which is being released at close to locked i5 prices. Even Su herself has said AMD no longer wants to be the bargain alternative. AMD is currently the "bargain alternative" for a reason...lack of performance and high power usage. I am sure initially Zen will be in short supply, and if it is the magical performer that some predict, they will sell every one they can. Not even AMD marketing is inept enough to sell a top end performing part, supply constrained, at a relative discount.

By the time it s realeased, and because it s released, the whole market will be shifting to lower prices within the pricey segments, currently a FX8370 is close to 200$ and should sail 50$ lower in 6 months, so there s no reason that a Zen will be more than 400$, that would be 2.66x the (downgraded) FX price.

Beside there s no GPU, so the area shouldnt be bigger or significantly bigger than a 4790K for instance..

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
be careful, some folks around here don't like when you are excited for AMD parts.

This is one of the few forums that haven't turned into an unnoficial AMD fanclub yet. You have the right to believe in Broadwell+ IPC, 4GHz, 95W TDP and mainstream prices but don't criticize (cough cough) people that don't, based on the company's previous products/releases.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
What we are talking about is Zen's pricing. I am with Shintai on that one. My personal opinion is that Zen will not be the magical performer that some in these forums are predicting. Some of the predictions are quite.......optimistic to say the least.

1. AM4 is mainstream
2. When ZEN will be released in Late 2016, Core i7 5960X would be two years old.
3. Broadwell-E will be released before ZEN
4. Broadwell-E 6C 12T will be bellow $400
5. Broadwell-E 8C 16T will be faster than ZEN 8C 16T.

1+2+3+4+5 =

A. ZEN 8C 16T at 95W TDP will not directly compete against Broadwell-E.
B. ZEN 8C 16T at 95W TDP will directly compete against Skylake and KabyLake Core i7 on Socket 1151 at sub $400.
C. Im expecting a 6C 12T Broadwell-E to be very close to Haswell-E 8T 16T in MT and significantly faster at ST.
D. Since top 6C 12T Broadwell-E will be priced at $500-600, IF 8C 16T ZEN is close to that MT performance it should be priced lower than that.
E. AMD will be more than happy to sell CPUs at $300-400 range again.

So to conclude, just because Core i7 5960X is a $1000 CPU today, it doesnt mean the performance at $1000 will remain the same when ZEN will be released.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009

If ZEN is what im expecting, it will replace my Core i7 3770K at my main Gaming system.

SK10H

Jun 18, 2015

The following *assume* first, then predict. Zen average IPC exclude AVX is roughly Haswell~Broadwell. IPC at only Sandy Bridge level will not applied. (Assumption)

1) Intel will keep the performance crown at the top. AMD is the price setter for the $150-$600 market (simply due to Intel being unwilling to kill their profit margin and play the #of core games except for the extreme $1000 segment.) Too much cores in regular desktop -> not good for Intel server SKUs. :D

2) Fury X priced at $650 is near the high end GPU segment but not 1% $1000 segment. It's not too expensive from historical point of view. Initial price is due to HBM capacity constrained. How 9590 FX is priced is not too relevant because there's really not much taker anyway. ():) It's their $1000 product that nobody is interested.

3) When Oil price was high, Global Foundry can forgive AMD more often and not enforce WSA all the time, and obviously enforcing it at that time would not be wise as they have a stake at AMD and know when to strike the WSA to benefit both.

4) Given WSA agreement and the backing of Samsung fab (assumption) if GF is too capacity constrained, then capacity isn't a problem but how high it can clock at what wattage and the average IPC.

5) 8core 5960x at 3GHz 22nm can easily be overclocked to 4.5 using high-end air or watercooling. Since Zen ES is reported to be running at 3GHz, let just assume they are 140W as well. They can label it 95W or 140W all they want, I doubt the majority will care other than the max oc level at acceptable power consumption on a normal workload (not AVX virus).

6) Zen without APU die space is a 1xx mm max 200mm2 die. Between a Polaris 11-10 die size. The Polaris 10 is expected to be mid range SKU, selling for $400 Max? The $400 include all the extra cost excluding the GPU, which AMD sell the GPU for peanuts vs the retail price at $400/CPU? ;)

7) Since Zen is a priority over anything else, and Polaris 10 die size is most likely bigger than Zen, should AMD fab a Polaris 10 over a Zen CPU? -> capacity constrained? ():)

8) Finally pricing, just 1xx mm2 chip, let's blow the WSA wafer limit. :eek:
$1000 Not sure what's being offer, Gold binned chip, maybe watercooler bundled.
$650 2nd tier, just chip
$350-400 - 3rd tier - *mainstream high end* i7 competitor. 8C/16T, cache cutdown, default speed/W irrelevant to me and many others, other than attainable max oc speed <160W. That's when most aircooling start having trouble.
$200-$300 - 4th tier - *mainstream oc tier* i5 competitor K competitor. 6C/12T, cache cut.
$100-$200 - this is harder to predict, most damaging segment. I will avoid. :sneaky: :D

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

If you bought the 4820K I imagine you won't like it that SR only has 16 PCIe lanes on the chip.

hojnikb

Sep 18, 2014
AMD has released the die polyshot of Carrizo and it is clear that there are no disabled L2 blocks.

The situation is not as simple with Bristol Ridge however. While Bristol Ridge is expected to be the exact same design as Carrizo (a refresh), there are some things which does make it appear otherwise.

If you look at the Zauba shipping manifests, you'll see that AMD has shipped AM4 Bristol Ridge prototypes with "2D34E2AGM44AB" and "2D34E1AGM44AB" OPNs.

The last four characters / numbers tell the number of the cores, amount of cache and the design / stepping identifier.

The first "4" stands for four cores, the second "4" for 2048KB L2 per CU and "AB" for BR-A1" design / stepping.

Carrizo based FX-8800P parts meanwhile has OPN of "FM880PAAY43KA", which translates to four cores (4), 1024KB of L2 per CU (3) and CZ-A1 (KA).

Increasing the L2 cache size back to 1MB per core or 2MB per CU would definitely improve the performance of Excavator desings, however even if the change would improve the IPC of Excavator by another 5% what's the point? Making such a change would no doubt cost several millions and still Excavator wouldn't be anywhere close to the competition.

If carrizo really has 2MB of cache as you and @ShintaiDK are suggesting, why their right minds would they design a separate die just with more cache ? It makes zero sense.
Either they designed carrizo die with 4MB of cache and disabled half of it or bristol ridge comes with 2MBs. Anything else makes little sense, at least economically for amd right now.

SK10H

Jun 18, 2015
This is one of the few forums that haven't turned into an unnoficial AMD fanclub yet. You have the right to believe in Broadwell+ IPC, 4GHz, 95W TDP and mainstream prices but don't criticize (cough cough) people that don't, based on the company's previous products/releases.

Base on Intel previous product/release, the next 5 years mainstream Intel CPU will use TIM instead of solder IHS, that's the way your current prediction work, as each CPU cycle is roughly 5 years.

I don't have a problem with skepticism as too much hype isn't good either. But clicking into a Zen thread and having to be reminded over the term "AMD fanclub" get tired quickly as it seems to me that several really active Intel members probably make up most of the post here as if it's a day time job.

CentroX

Apr 3, 2016
If you bought the 4820K I imagine you won't like it that SR only has 16 PCIe lanes on the chip.

Dual channel vs quadro? It is not really a big performance difference. Not on my X79 atleast.

I am looking forward to Jim Kellers architecure instead. I am just going to give support to AMD because i am tired how intel has ran the market last 6 years.

CentroX

Apr 3, 2016
Except that was way beyond "excited for AMD". It was pure hate and it always looks foolish.

Not folish since AMD is looking better under Lisa Su. Theyre are making a comeback both in the gpu and cpu market.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Not folish since AMD is looking better under Lisa Su. Theyre are making a comeback both in the gpu and cpu market.

It's foolish to love or hate a company.

When a poster talks of Intels "shitty" cpu upgrades, for example, one immediately looks to see what better cpu upgrades AMD has provided in recent years...

CentroX

Apr 3, 2016
It's foolish to love or hate a company.

When a poster talks of Intels "shitty" cpu upgrades, for example, one immediately looks to see what better cpu upgrades AMD has provided in recent years...

Intel has used their money and position to block AMD as good as they can. They have also been on autopilot with their tick tock model. With AMD back in the game after a few poor years they will bring out the competitivnes in Intel again.

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
This sounds like there are more AMD users or fans than Intel ones, which contradicts any mss statistics. ^^ As you found the pipeline hints, you might have a valid reason to believe in another BD desaster. I won't stop you. :) They are based on patents, BTW. But you also know, the reason for low base clocks with increasing amount of cores is power consumption. OTOH 8 Zen cores aren't comparable to the silicon area, leakage and power consumption of 8 32nm BD cores anymore.

I wonder, what AMD will show on their AM4 boards at Computex. They will be there (the boards).

Last edited: