New rotors or resurface existing? *QUICK QUESTION FIRST POST SATURDAY!*

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Originally posted by: se7enty7
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
Depends on how worn they are. Check the service specs in your service manual against the rotors. If they are too worn, get new ones. I would get new ones anyway. Autozone rotors are probably around $25 each for your car. Get some new pads while you are at it.

Thier is no reason to spend $80 each on the OEM ones. Rotors are a wear item, and the Autozone or Brembo Blanks should be more than servicable.

I just ordered new Brembo Blanks from nopionline for my Integra for $38 each.

autozone brake parts SUCK compared to oem nissan stuff.

How so? I get most of my brake stuff from autozone and am a mechanic and have used it on jap, american, and all other cars and trucks?

You have something to back you claim up with or juts spouting off more Fanyboy junk??

Compare?? On my car, I used autozone stuff... The best they had (don't remember the brand) and Nissan stuff was MUCH better (less likely to lock up, less pressure needed to have equal force, ) and most importantly the autozone stuff tended to fade after light repeated braking (red light, then red light, or coming off of exit ramps)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I'm going to see about turning them...

Where could I pick up the screws used to counter-screw the rotor to help get it off? I really don't want to buy any more tools beyond my socket set and breaker bar if at all possible.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Depends on how worn they are. Check the service specs in your service manual against the rotors. If they are too worn, get new ones. I would get new ones anyway. Autozone rotors are probably around $25 each for your car. Get some new pads while you are at it.

Thier is no reason to spend $80 each on the OEM ones. Rotors are a wear item, and the Autozone or Brembo Blanks should be more than servicable.

How so? I get most of my brake stuff from autozone and am a mechanic and have used it on jap, american, and all other cars and trucks?

You have something to back you claim up with or juts spouting off more Fanyboy junk??

Compare?? On my car, I used autozone stuff... The best they had (don't remember the brand) and Nissan stuff was MUCH better (less likely to lock up, less pressure needed to have equal force, ) and most importantly the autozone stuff tended to fade after light repeated braking (red light, then red light, or coming off of exit ramps)

So it was the BEST but you don't remember the name? And since the 2nd set of pads you used were better that MUST mean that ALL autozone stuff sucks and your 2nd pick is best
rolleye.gif

Thanks for the update fanboy

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I'm going to see about turning them...

Where could I pick up the screws used to counter-screw the rotor to help get it off? I really don't want to buy any more tools beyond my socket set and breaker bar if at all possible.
If you are talking about the screws/bolts used to help remove the rotor from the hub. You can use standard metric bolts, usually 8mm x 1.25 pitch, to do this.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
I dislike re-surfacing. It diminishes the ability of the rotors to absorb heat and increases the chances that they will warp again. Turning the rotors removes mass. Mass is what dissipates heat if all else (e.g. design and material type among other things) are equal. Turned rotors will warp more easily than new rotors.

ZV

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001

So it was the BEST but you don't remember the name? And since the 2nd set of pads you used were better that MUST mean that ALL autozone stuff sucks and your 2nd pick is best
rolleye.gif

I have been a mechanic for longer that AutoZone has even been around and I think most of the brake parts they sell are sub standard to OEM and quality aftermarket parts. Most of the pads I have seen from there were the cause of brake noise, fade, and general poor performance. I always use Bendix, Wagner, or OEM pads on the car I service.

Of course I don?t work on many low-end GM products either, so my experience might be jaded. And I had to take the customer's word for where they bought the parts, since I don?t trust them enough to put their parts on my own vehicles.

BTW, you are starting to sounds like a fanboy yourself.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
That's what I've heard too Zemmer, but $10 for a resurfaced rotor is pretty darn cheap ;)

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Quixfire

rolleye.gif

I have been a mechanic for longer that AutoZone has even been around and I think most of the brake parts they sell are sub standard to OEM and quality aftermarket parts. Most of the pads I have seen from there were the cause of brake noise, fade, and general poor performance. I always use Bendix, Wagner, or OEM pads on the car I service.

Of course I don?t work on many low-end GM products either, so my experience might be jaded. And I had to take the customer's word for where they bought the parts, since I don?t trust them enough to put their parts on my own vehicles.

You do know that AutoZone?s BASIC Albany pads are made by either raybestos or another national company RIGHT?? Just like advance auto has Autolite/Bendix/Fram corp makes most of theirs.
I have at times used the Basic pads from Napa, Autozone, advance, etc.. and NEVER had any brake noise. But that again comes from have a trained professional that knows what they are doing. Maybe you have noise problems with brakes, but I never have.

And how am I a fanboy, I have years and many different makes and models to back up my statements. That and it is cheaper to do something right the first time then have to do it again, so you think I am going to chance a car coming back if I KNOW a product is not good.
AGAIN, I have used OEM and aftermarket items and if the aftermarket is cheaper and just as good, or better, then I go aftermarket.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
I dislike re-surfacing. It diminishes the ability of the rotors to absorb heat and increases the chances that they will warp again. Turning the rotors removes mass. Mass is what dissipates heat if all else (e.g. design and material type among other things) are equal. Turned rotors will warp more easily than new rotors.

ZV

Bingo and Amen.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: slag

ZV

Bingo and Amen.

Well that is why they have Min. thinkness rates for all rotors and drums. Most rotors can be SAFELY turned at least once and not have any of these problems.

BUT some cars the rotors are so cheap now it is sometimes not worth turning. The rotors for my beater car are onlylike $12 each at Autozone.
BUT some cars the rotors are $100 or more, so not turning them, as long as they are not below min thickness, would not be very wise.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001

rolleye.gif

You do know that AutoZone?s BASIC Albany pads are made by either raybestos or another national company RIGHT?? Just like advance auto has Autolite/Bendix/Fram corp makes most of theirs.
I have at times used the Basic pads from Napa, Autozone, advance, etc.. and NEVER had any brake noise. But that again comes from have a trained professional that knows what they are doing. Maybe you have noise problems with brakes, but I never have.

And how am I a fanboy, I have years and many different makes and models to back up my statements. That and it is cheaper to do something right the first time then have to do it again, so you think I am going to chance a car coming back if I KNOW a product is not good.
AGAIN, I have used OEM and aftermarket items and if the aftermarket is cheaper and just as good, or better, then I go aftermarket.

Come to think of it, it WAS albany. They were HORRIBLE. IIRC the pads that went on my grand am were md507. They were complete and utter CRAP. I tried another brand on my 200 (believe it was albany) along with albany rotors. Again, horrible brake fade, horrible pedal feel, etc. etc. Went the next week and bought nissan rotors and nissan pads and ALL the problems went away.

How the hell am I a fanboy? Fanboy of what, quality parts???? If so, then yes when working on brakes I am a fan of quality parts. Sucks for me I guess I'm such a poser.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
Remember that if you buy rotors from a place like Autozone, that they usually give you a niec warranty with them. Sometimes 2 years, sometimes life. So even if they are cheap, you can go get replacements every time they warp.

I just replaced a drum that had warped on my truck last night. The drum was 6 months old. I took it back last night for a replacement. No questions asked. (Same is true for brake pads!)

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000

ZV
Bingo and Amen.
Well that is why they have Min. thinkness rates for all rotors and drums. Most rotors can be SAFELY turned at least once and not have any of these problems.

BUT some cars the rotors are so cheap now it is sometimes not worth turning. The rotors for my beater car are onlylike $12 each at Autozone.
BUT some cars the rotors are $100 or more, so not turning them, as long as they are not below min thickness, would not be very wise.
Why not? If you drive hard enough to warp the stock rotors, then you are _definitely_ going to warp the rotors after they have been turned. It's a worthless "repair" if all it does is buy a small amount of time and simultaneously guarantee that you're going to have problems again in the future.

Unless the warping is from an isolated incident (such as driving through a puddle immediately after hard braking) all turning the rotors does is guarantee that you will warp the rotors again, and faster than you warped them the first time. If the car is having problems with warping rotors in normal driving the best thing to do is search for a reputable rotor upgrade for your car that will be able to handle more heat.

ZV

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001

ZV
Bingo and Amen.

Why not? If you drive hard enough to warp the stock rotors, then you are _definitely_ going to warp the rotors after they have been turned. It's a worthless "repair" if all it does is buy a small amount of time and simultaneously guarantee that you're going to have problems again in the future.

Unless the warping is from an isolated incident (such as driving through a puddle immediately after hard braking) all turning the rotors does is guarantee that you will warp the rotors again, and faster than you warped them the first time. If the car is having problems with warping rotors in normal driving the best thing to do is search for a reputable rotor upgrade for your car that will be able to handle more heat.

ZV

Here's the thing. If you are only replacing pads then get your rotors turned. Rotor's last longer than pads for sure. If they are warped then buy new ones.

imo.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Sweet jebus those are expensive! New rotors for my daily driver are a whopping $14 each.

I always replace. Turned rotors warp easy.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
ZenmervoltI drive like a panzy, but these rotors are notorious for warping, because nissan gave tiny little ones to the maximas. I know that if I resurface them their life will be even shorter, but napa (just called) can do them at $15/piece, which is cheaper than the $80/piece I can buy new, or the $45/piece from the nopionline link (which I'd probably do if I have to buy new). Since I'm going to do them myself (correction: try and do them myself), labor is not really an issue. If I have to pay somebody I will definitely go with new ones.
Sweet jebus those are expensive! New rotors for my daily driver are a whopping $14 each.
It's a high-end import luxury sedan, so I gotta pay for the big ole rotors :p

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
OEM? You mean the same people who sell you tie rod ends and ball joints with no zirc fittings?
rolleye.gif

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

rolleye.gif

Come to think of it, it WAS albany. They were HORRIBLE. IIRC the pads that went on my grand am were md507. They were complete and utter CRAP. I tried another brand on my 200 (believe it was albany) along with albany rotors. Again, horrible brake fade, horrible pedal feel, etc. etc. Went the next week and bought nissan rotors and nissan pads and ALL the problems went away.

How the hell am I a fanboy? Fanboy of what, quality parts???? If so, then yes when working on brakes I am a fan of quality parts. Sucks for me I guess I'm such a poser.

Please tell me how YOU got a thing called Albany Rotors, Autozone has never had albany rotors, and I have been working on cars for over a decade.

But yea, your case defines a GOOD mechanic that knows what they are doing and a large test group

rolleye.gif

Fanyboys
rolleye.gif

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001

rolleye.gif

Please tell me how YOU got a thing called Albany Rotors, Autozone has never had albany rotors, and I have been working on cars for over a decade.

But yea, your case defines a GOOD mechanic that knows what they are doing and a large test group

rolleye.gif

Fanyboys
rolleye.gif

You are such a fvckup. You are the one crying like a baby to everyone about how much you love autozone parts. YOU are the fanboy. Get over it, autozone parts suck.

I also said I BELIEVE they were albany. It's been so long since I've bought their sh!tty parts it's hard to remember.

Skoorb; try autozone stuff, but be sure to come let us know when it doesn't work. TRUST ME, nissan stuff IS better. I dunno about domestic parts compared to autozone, but nissan stuff IS better.

EDIT:
You've been working on cars a DECADE?? Wow, so your just getting started eh? Better get some time under your belt before you go spouting off crap you can't backup.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
If they are available I would go with Brembo blanks and have them drilled. I'm almost sure Brembo centrifuge casts their
rotors. This is not done with the China Brand.

If the rotors are warping when hot how is resurfacing them cold going to help that much? This was the very same question posed to
me, when I had rotors that warped when hot.

Nothing on a car is more important than reliable brakes.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

Fanyboys
rolleye.gif

You are such a fvckup. You are the one crying like a baby to everyone about how much you love autozone parts. YOU are the fanboy. Get over it, autozone parts suck.

I also said I BELIEVE they were albany. It's been so long since I've bought their sh!tty parts it's hard to remember.

Skoorb; try autozone stuff, but be sure to come let us know when it doesn't work. TRUST ME, nissan stuff IS better. I dunno about domestic parts compared to autozone, but nissan stuff IS better.

EDIT:
You've been working on cars a DECADE?? Wow, so your just getting started eh? Better get some time under your belt before you go spouting off crap you can't backup.

Ahhh read again, I have used parts form Napa, Autozone, Advance, etc.... I use to use mostly Advance brake parts but they stopped carrying a brake pad I liked. The ones, Carbon Met., from autozone perform the same as the last ones I used mostly from advance.

And again, I have backed up what I said, you just keep saying NISSAN STUFF IS THE BEST@!@! Sounds liek the cry of a fanyboy to me.

rolleye.gif

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001

EDIT:

Ahhh read again, I have used parts form Napa, Autozone, Advance, etc.... I use to use mostly Advance brake parts but they stopped carrying a brake pad I liked. The ones, Carbon Met., from autozone perform the same as the last ones I used mostly from advance.

And again, I have backed up what I said, you just keep saying NISSAN STUFF IS THE BEST@!@! Sounds liek the cry of a fanyboy to me.

rolleye.gif

You have backed nothing up. I gave you two real world instances, along with what others have agreed with.

Sorry bud, your wrong. Until you feel to backup what you say with real world info, or at least ONE other person agreeing with you then shutup.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001

EDIT:

rolleye.gif

You have backed nothing up. I gave you two real world instances, along with what others have agreed with.

Sorry bud, your wrong. Until you feel to backup what you say with real world info, or at least ONE other person agreeing with you then shutup.

Also I have never had a noise issue. It is always brake fade or an abnormal amount of required pedal pressure. Switching to factory parts fixes the problem.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb
ZenmervoltI drive like a panzy, but these rotors are notorious for warping, because nissan gave tiny little ones to the maximas. I know that if I resurface them their life will be even shorter, but napa (just called) can do them at $15/piece, which is cheaper than the $80/piece I can buy new, or the $45/piece from the nopionline link (which I'd probably do if I have to buy new). Since I'm going to do them myself (correction: try and do them myself), labor is not really an issue. If I have to pay somebody I will definitely go with new ones.
It's a high-end import luxury sedan, so I gotta pay for the big ole rotors :p

Skoorb,
Unless you are really tight on budget, I would go for the Brembos. Why risk the hassle of having to replace them at some point in the future if they warp again? How many miles on your car? Worn rotors that have already been turned once are more likely to warp again.

Hassle versus up front cost.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Are you installing these? Napa has budget rotors, same price as Autozone's cheap ones,
for $27.00 for your car. I just put some on my wife's car, and they're fine. If they give me
any trouble, which I doubt, I've got a one year warranty. It's worth taking the chance for
that huge price difference. Lube the slides, and use the paste form of 'Disc Brake Quiet'
I know you wouldn't be asking about turning them, if you weren't trying to save a buck.
I went with ultra cheap pads, too. WTF, they can be reinstalled in a flash, if they're no good.
Again, huge price difference makes it worth it.