New female GM CEO making 48% less than outgoing male CEO

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I don't understand why people are saying she's a bad negotiator. If you normalized her negotiation results due to her lack of male privilege (being a woman in a very male-dominated profession in a male-dominated industry), she did extremely well. What we see here is merely male privilege giving the prior CEO a huge boost. He probably negotiated worse, but ended up with more.

Hopefully her salary gets normalized.

Stopped reading there. GTFO.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
I don't understand why people are saying she's a bad negotiator. If you normalized her negotiation results due to her lack of male privilege (being a woman in a very male-dominated profession in a male-dominated industry), she did extremely well. What we see here is merely male privilege giving the prior CEO a huge boost. He probably negotiated worse, but ended up with more.

Hopefully her salary gets normalized.

This post reeks of cis privilege.

How dare you assume she is a woman just because of how she looks.

Having a vagina DOES NOT make you a woman, just like having a penis DOES NOT make you a man.

For all you know, the previous CEO identifies as a genderqueer transdisabled female octopus.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
All of you bleeding heart liberals are always talking about how republicans hate women. Then when I make a thread inequality, I am called a troll?

As far as I am concerned the new CEO needs to be making as much as the outgoing CEO.

Out of curiosity, why? Do you think that every position in the country should be paid at least as much as the last person who held it regardless of market forces?

Last edited:

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Huh? That's how exec compensation most always is. Salary + performance based bonuses/stock. There are other perks as well but that's the majority of it.

You have a lot of situations where executives get absurd base salaries and additional absurd bonuses despite poor company performance. And in this case the GM CEO's base salary is pretty absurd. Look at how much she's getting despite not actually having done anything yet. And say like when a lot of financial companies that would have collapsed if not for TARP gave out executive bonuses.

Last edited:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You have a lot of situations where executives get absurd base salaries and additional absurd bonuses despite poor company performance. And in this case the GM CEO's base salary is pretty absurd. Look at how much she's getting despite not actually having done anything yet. And say like when a lot of financial companies that would have collapsed if not for TARP gave out executive bonuses.

Her base salary is absurd? How do you figure? You don't think being the CEO of a $150B company with over 200K employees should be paid that much?