New female GM CEO making 48% less than outgoing male CEO

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
After 33 years working for GM, Mary Barra has taken the reigns as the new CEO.

The problem is, she is making 48% less than what the outgoing male CEO was making, and he had no experience running a car company.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/economy-policy/2014/02/03/white-house-missteps-on-gm-pay-gap/
The White House said in a statement that State of the Union guests like Barra who "have been invited to sit with the First Lady represent the stories of millions of Americans across the country, who are working hard to better their communities, improve their own economic outcomes and help restore opportunity for all."

Trouble is, Barra is not even getting 77%, but less than half, 48%, of the pay of GM's outgoing male CEO who had no prior experience running a car company. Barra replaced former Carlyle Group executive Dan Akerson, who ran the automaker after it got a massive $49.5 billion taxpayer bailout.

Barra will get $4.4 million in total yearly compensation.

Outgoing CEO Akerson got an estimated $9 million yearly compensation.

I am surprised this is not all over the news. Where is the feminist outrage?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Why should there be outrage? Is there some requirement that the new CEO make more than the previous one? Is there any evidence that they're paying her less than the previous CEO because of her gender?

The CEO is paid whatever the board wants him or her to be paid. She doesn't have to take the job.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Trust me...she has a good year and has solid earnings growth and her pay will shoot up.

She is a first time CEO so I don't see anything unusual happening here except you attempting to troll for some reason. Are you getting jealous of Nehlam and his toaster?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Oh the humanity. This poor millionaire. What law can we pass to get her those extra millions?

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
It could be that she and the board negotiated her first-year salary and that $4.4M is what they agreed on.

Enjoy your cup-o-rage, TH

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Its pretty simple. When you look at any individual case such is this it is simple to point out the many logical reasons why she makes less. So if feminists would act outrage they would look like idiots.

Makes much more sense to play games with statistics instead.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Where is the feminist outrage?

I think you're it.

EDIT: also, why should feminists be pissed off at her terrible negotiation skills? I don't remember that being on the Lib's agenda/check list to ruin your America.

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Executive compensation is complex. A meaningful discussion would require an analysis of the two contracts.

For one thing, most exec compensation is from stock options. Stock option must generally be held at a minimum of 2-3 years before they can be exercised and sold, and when this excer/sale happens only then will the compensation show up.

There's no way a first year exec can have any compensation from stock options. (Well, theoretically it can happen but they would have to be non-qualified stock option and it's rare to see them. Most stock option plans are qualified under tax law and require a holding period.) I.e., of course their comp would appear to be less. But I'd guess she IS getting the options, it's just that she can't sell them/cash out for a few years

Fern

Last edited:

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Oh the horror... some woman is making less than some man. Must be oppression and discrimination, obviously... Mobilize the white knight brigade!

Feb 6, 2007
Equality of pay is based around averages, not specific individual examples. If a male CEO is ridiculously overcompensated based on performance, there shouldn't be an expectation that a female CEO be similarly overcompensated but for sexism. Marissa Mayer made a boatload more than Scott Thompson when she took the reins of Yahoo; that doesn't disprove compensation inequality based on sex any more than this example does.

Jaepheth

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2006
I'll pay her twice my salary to do my job, and I'll take her job at only equal salary.

Then she'll be making twice what a male made at the same job and I'll be making more money than I ever dreamed of.

Everybody wins!

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Trust me...she has a good year and has solid earnings growth and her pay will shoot up.

She is a first time CEO so I don't see anything unusual happening here except you attempting to troll for some reason. Are you getting jealous of Nehlam and his toaster?

This.

/thread

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Doesn't Texashiker frequently complain about CEOs making too much money?

This forum is truly the armpit of the internet.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I don't see anything unusual happening here except you attempting to troll for some reason.

All of you bleeding heart liberals are always talking about how republicans hate women. Then when I make a thread inequality, I am called a troll?

As far as I am concerned the new CEO needs to be making as much as the outgoing CEO.

If you disagree then you are a woman hating republican.

Doesn't Texashiker frequently complain about CEOs making too much money?

She needs to be paid more money.

Last edited:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
That's not how it works. We don't pay people because of a job title or what the other person makes or person before. It's an agreement between employee and employer on what is acceptable compensation for the job.

She failed and negotiating her compensation. Miserably.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Jesus Christ.....they haven't even negotiated her long term incentive package which was a large part of her predecessor's total compensation figure. What a total non-story whipped up by the worst "news" organization in the country.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
All of you bleeding heart liberals are always talking about how republicans hate women. Then when I make a thread inequality, I am called a troll?

As far as I am concerned the new CEO needs to be making as much as the outgoing CEO.

She needs to be paid more money.

Why?

And as someone pointed out, look at Marissa Mayer. Her contract gives her a minimum of $117 million for five years.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

You attempted to point out inequality where it doesn't exist which is why I called you a troll for this thread. CEO pay is highly variable and based on many factors.

BS, if you really believe this then you know absolutely nothing about executive compensation.

And here we are back at trolling.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
That's not how it works. We don't pay people because of a job title or what the other person makes or person before. It's an agreement between employee and employer on what is acceptable compensation for the job.

She failed and negotiating her compensation. Miserably.

Your head is about as firmly planted in your posterior as the OP's is.

Nov 25, 2013
After 33 years working for GM, Mary Barra has taken the reigns as the new CEO.

The problem is, she is making 48% less than what the outgoing male CEO was making, and he had no experience running a car company.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/economy-policy/2014/02/03/white-house-missteps-on-gm-pay-gap/

trolling-fishing.jpg

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The great thing would be if her salary, along with that of every other CEO, continues to drop in coming years.

....not that this would ever happen.