New female GM CEO making 48% less than outgoing male CEO

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
I don't understand why people are saying she's a bad negotiator. If you normalized her negotiation results due to her lack of male privilege (being a woman in a very male-dominated profession in a male-dominated industry), she did extremely well. What we see here is merely male privilege giving the prior CEO a huge boost. He probably negotiated worse, but ended up with more.

Hopefully her salary gets normalized.

xaeniac

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
You all should understand 4.4 million to the majority of Anandtech is like 44k. Is this ATOT? Jeez

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Yahoo has a good article on why there's such a pay difference.
The jist is that A) The company split CEO into Chairman, CEO, and President. In addition any stock options they might be giving her were not released and will be released later this year. So it was neither she's a bad negotiator or they're paying her less than her predecessor. It's basically a different job now.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/why-gm-pay-gap-first-female-ceo-isn-202429910.html

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Yahoo has a good article on why there's such a pay difference.
The jist is that A) The company split CEO into Chairman, CEO, and President. In addition any stock options they might be giving her were not released and will be released later this year. So it was neither she's a bad negotiator or they're paying her less than her predecessor. It's basically a different job now.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/why-gm-pay-gap-first-female-ceo-isn-202429910.html

So you are saying that not only are they paying her less, but they split off 2/3 of her responsibilities onto others(presumably white males), because a woman couldn't be trusted with them.

Seems like you are backing up TexasHiker's point :p

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Toyota CEO gets paid $2.3M
Honda CEO gets paid $1.84M

This.

I think we are missing the point here - maybe it is a good thing that she is paid less, because the company is not doing that well.

Imagine the headlines if she was getting paid $15m - Greedy Bitch Taking all the money after GM got bailed out by Joe Taxpayer.

So, perhaps this is a good idea given the company's financial status.

Ophir

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001
All of you bleeding heart liberals are always talking about how republicans hate women. Then when I make a thread inequality, I am called a troll?

As far as I am concerned the new CEO needs to be making as much as the outgoing CEO.

If you disagree then you are a woman hating republican.

She needs to be paid more money.
It's uncanny how every single one of your posts, ever, shows such abject logic failure - even in the face of clear and continued rebuttal.

To be clear, you are being called a troll for persistently sticking with an argument that makes no sense and has been taken apart by literally everyone in this thread.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
It's uncanny how every single one of your posts, ever, shows such abject logic failure - even in the face of clear and continued rebuttal.

To be clear, you are being called a troll for persistently sticking with an argument that makes no sense and has been taken apart by literally everyone in this thread.

Well except for Spidey.....he took some other troll position.

Nov 8, 2012
After 33 years working for GM, Mary Barra has taken the reigns as the new CEO.

The problem is, she is making 48% less than what the outgoing male CEO was making, and he had no experience running a car company.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/economy-policy/2014/02/03/white-house-missteps-on-gm-pay-gap/

Barra will get $4.4 million in total yearly compensation.

Outgoing CEO Akerson got an estimated $9 million yearly compensation.

I am surprised this is not all over the news. Where is the feminist outrage?

1. You have no idea of the actual compensation she is receiving other than what the media wants you to believe. Quote me all of her stock and equity compensations as well? Oh you don't have that information?

2. What do you think part of the reason for getting rid of the previous CEO was?

3. Get a clue :rolleyes:

Nov 8, 2012
All of you bleeding heart liberals are always talking about how republicans hate women. Then when I make a thread inequality, I am called a troll?

As far as I am concerned the new CEO needs to be making as much as the outgoing CEO.

If you disagree then you are a woman hating republican.

She needs to be paid more money.

You're the type of person that does't even understand simple index investment accounts (as per ATOT thread on retirement) and you're worried about payment of superiors? Go sit next to the rest of the bleeding heart liberals crying about other's making too much or not making enough.

It's pathetic you worry so much about how much well-off you are vs. others :rolleyes:

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
So liberals bitch about CEO's making too much, and now when they dont make enough?

Sounds about right

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The real headline should be GM's female CEO overpaid, but not as ridiculously as its former male CEO.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
The real headline should be GM's female CEO overpaid, but not as ridiculously as its former male CEO.

I'm going to have to agree. Executives in general are overpaid in a lot of places. How about they get a base salary and then get bonuses based on company performance instead of this absurdity that is CEO compensation?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I'm going to have to agree. Executives in general are overpaid in a lot of places. How about they get a base salary and then get bonuses based on company performance instead of this absurdity that is CEO compensation?

Huh? That's how exec compensation most always is. Salary + performance based bonuses/stock. There are other perks as well but that's the majority of it.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Seriously?

See Spidey's answer.

Fern

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
You guys should not have worried. She will be sufficiently overpaid, compared to her Japanese counterparts, after all.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...ensation-may-total-14-dot-4-million-this-year
GM Says New CEO’s Compensation May Total $14.4 Million This Year

I know some of you were really worried she'd only be paid double of what Toyota's CEO makes for his running a company making 4 times as much profit as GM does. There was no cause for concern, it will be six times as much. It wouldn't be America if she didn't make at least 24 times as a percentage of profit as her foreign competitor CEO.

Apr 27, 2012

Are you serious? It's not up to you how much they get paid, it's up to the company.