New car prices are out of control

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Listen man, I think you need to take a step back and take a deep breath. The reason people are jumping to the conclusion that you're just a "jealous poor person" is because your attitude is typical of those people. Listen, I don't drive a BMW but I acknowledge the fact that they are nice cars. Reliable? No, not really. Do they drive great? Yes, yes they do. Are there people that drive them that try to pretend they are something they aren't (wannabes)? Yes. Are there some people that just love BMW's because they like the car? Yes.

My point is, I think you are taking your frustrations out on a car brand because of some douche you ran into in the past that owned a BMW.

Catspaw. It's funny to see them get into such a tizzy.

I even got Pho to now resort to denigrating my intelligence through my profession. So much for his supposed high-end diagnosis and calling me a "sad little man" or whatever. He's the first to drop it to that level to justify his position.

Despite him being so educated and being able to proscribe drugs he still went there.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Maybe its just CA, but I'm pretty sure almost all of my friends in engineering that got jobs straight out of undergrad lived at home for a year or two.

Making that much is possible if you're in sales or something and really good at it though. A guy in my dorm was a "client manager" for AX and was pulling in pretty good dough with his commission.

Okaaaay. The point, one more time, was to give perspective on how much cars and the world have changed. It WAS possible for a kid in High School when I was to save enough money working part time jobs to buy a brand new car. That is no longer possible. Got it?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Maybe its just CA, but I'm pretty sure almost all of my friends in engineering that got jobs straight out of undergrad lived at home for a year or two.

Making that much is possible if you're in sales or something and really good at it though. A guy in my dorm was a "client manager" for AX and was pulling in pretty good dough with his commission.

did you read what he wrote? you are talking after college he is talking WHILE IN HIGH SCHOOL!

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Okaaaay. The point, one more time, was to give perspective on how much cars and the world have changed. It WAS possible for a kid in High School when I was to save enough money working part time jobs to buy a brand new car. That is no longer possible. Got it?

You're absolutely right. My dad saved up and bought himself a brand new 1974 Cougar XR7 for $3,000 shortly after he got out of high school.

Cars today are astronomically expensive compared to years ago. That same Cougar should only cost $12,000 today after inflation. Instead it would probably go for $30,000 now.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

Minimum wage in San Fran is $10.55 an hour. Even at 25 hours a week, that ~$264 every week, or ~$13,700 in a year. And during the summer and Christmas season, the kid can work full time to pull in more money. $8k a year is doable if that's the sole goal of the kid.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Minimum wage in San Fran is $10.55 an hour. Even at 25 hours a week, that ~$264 every week, or ~$13,700 in a year. And during the summer and Christmas season, the kid can work full time to pull in more money. $8k a year is doable if that's the sole goal of the kid.

Most of the country is $7.25. Figure $8 per hour if the employer's generous. That gives you ~$10,000, and you haven't paid taxes yet, or bought your trip to/from work every day.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Most of the country is $7.25. Figure $8 per hour if the employer's generous. That gives you ~$10,000, and you haven't paid taxes yet, or bought your trip to/from work every day.

Magnus said, "That isn't even a remote possibility for the wealthiest areas today."

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Magnus said, "That isn't even a remote possibility for the wealthiest areas today."

Let's not forget sales tax, insurance and, gas. All of which have also skyrocketed. I still say it's not a possibility. I won't even go into the differences between driving a Mustang and a Fit. :D

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
You're absolutely right. My dad saved up and bought himself a brand new 1974 Cougar XR7 for $3,000 shortly after he got out of high school.

Cougars in 1974 were a tad more expensive than $3K. That was the year the Cougar moved to a T-bird size. NADA has its orig. retail at $4700, and that seems about right. I was actively shopping new cars in 1974 and drove, among others, a '74 Cougar. Uninspired.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Cougars in 1974 were a tad more expensive than $3K. That was the year the Cougar moved to a T-bird size. NADA has its orig. retail at $4700, and that seems about right. I was actively shopping new cars in 1974 and drove, among others, a '74 Cougar. Uninspired.

Yea, it was basically a re-badged Torino..

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
I recently took part in helping someone purchase a brand new ford vehicle. and while I must say in the past I also was very skeptical and leary of purchasing new the new maintenance packages they offer with optional GAAP coverage for the entire life of the car as long as you finance with them (which depending on your credit you could get really good rates) might justify the purchase of a new car in my future rather than stick with used.

I am not sure if other car manufactures hopped on this band wagon and offer full maintenance packages for their vehicles that you choose to finance through the dealer but if they do (which basically means all maintenance and care for your vehicle is completely free to you and all they do is tack on an extra $20 a month to your payments) The interest on the vehicle remains the same and the cost you agree upon for the vehicle is also not influenced by this option, its an option that is only discussed with buyers upon speaking with the dealership finance department. its COMPLETELY optional and it is not at all like a extended warantee, literally EVERYTHING for your vehicle is taken care for for the entire life of the loan through the dealership, oil changes, tranmission flushes, fluids top off, tires (to include new ones if required), etc... etc... etc.. pretty good deal if you ask me.... assuming you know how to play the game and get a good deal on a car to begin with.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
OK so this is just getting assine. So the only reason to buy a sporty/luxury car is due to showboating? People can't possible enjoy the car? So people who ride motorcycles even though thye are $6-9k are equally stupid?

It's one thing to say you don't enjoy another person's love/hobby it's another thing entirely to insult and spit on it.

Legend that is just as bad as somebody who buys a car for status.

Actually, a $9k motorcycle is cheap. And yes, I routinely make fun of people who ride Harleys because they want the image. Harleys are all about status. I ride a Suzuki and have every bit as much fun riding as people who spent twice as much on a bike.

Last edited:

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
Actually, a $9k motorcycle is cheap. And yes, I routinely make fun of people who ride Hatleys because they want the image. Harleys are all about status. I ride a Suzuki and have every bit as much fun riding as people who spent twice as much on a bike.

I am not a motorcycle rider of any kind but I think people do harley's b/c of the comradery among riders and the fact they're highly customizable.

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
Camaraderie based on brand loyalty = Poser

I agree. but that doesn't make it any less true, look at Apple stores and their brand loyalty. People are not paying a premium for the technology in those devices by any means.... its for the 'brand' name.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I agree. but that doesn't make it any less true, look at Apple stores and their brand loyalty. People are not paying a premium for the technology in those devices by any means.... its for the 'brand' name.

You're paying premium for the technology in Apple devices. You can't get iOS on other devices other than Apple handhelds. Same with OS X on the computer. Well technically you can for computers with Hackintosh but it's hacked setup but you still need to buy OS X from Apple.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Camaraderie based on brand loyalty = Poser

I lived in Daytona Beach during the 50th anniversary of Bike Week.

400,000 older men, all dressed in black, all trying to look vaguely dangerous, it wasn't pretty ...

Never seen so many Harleys on trailers before in my life.

And then, there's the fact that the old men can't seem to stop dying while riding... 20 killed in 2006, only six killed in 2011...

While I've owned six of seven Japanese cycles myself. Rode in the Bike Week Parade, I've never had much respect for anyone that thought that a lifestyle was something that they could purchase at a motorcycle dealership...

Uno

Naeeldar

Aug 20, 2001
Actually, a $9k motorcycle is cheap. And yes, I routinely make fun of people who ride Harleys because they want the image. Harleys are all about status. I ride a Suzuki and have every bit as much fun riding as people who spent twice as much on a bike.

I have a 09 600gsxr. I know how bikes work but the fact of the matter is by the logic being used here you and i should not have one because we only need a basic car to get from point a to point B and thus the bike is as much a waste of money as a fun fast/good handling car.

The point is people should enjoy whatevever hobbies they want and can afford.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I lived in Daytona Beach during the 50th anniversary of Bike Week.

400,000 older men, all dressed in black, all trying to look vaguely dangerous, it wasn't pretty ...

Never seen so many Harleys on trailers before in my life.

And then, there's the fact that the old men can't seem to stop dying while riding... 20 killed in 2006, only six killed in 2011...

While I've owned six of seven Japanese cycles myself. Rode in the Bike Week Parade, I've never had much respect for anyone that thought that a lifestyle was something that they could purchase at a motorcycle dealership...

Uno

I live in S. Daytona, bike week traffic is so bad I usually take a week's vacation because I work near the Iron horse saloon and Smiley's and it takes an hour to go 12 miles, on the plus side the golf courses are empty as not many want to deal with said traffic so I usually end up getting in a few rounds during the week..

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
I'm not a BMW fan myself either. I legitimately don't understand why some people love them so much.

I know people who saved, and saved, and saved, to buy some used BMW that was basically a lemon in reliability. He was so happy with it. I just didn't get it.