New car prices are out of control

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
he is, and again, screaming SAVE SAVE SAVE like all the poor people on this thread are. they just can't fathom the fact that some people can save and enjoy nice things simply because they have never been in that position.

This is what I find hilarious about people like you, you think that "luxury cars" = money. And anybody who doesn't want one and thinks they are stupid = no money.

You WANT people to be jealous of your car, it's part of your justification for buying one. You still haven't got the fact that people like me know the truth, your car is nothing.

And as far as being dead by 59 and not spending a dime, nobody said to not spend a dime and if you derive a big piece of enjoyment from your car you're doing it wrong.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Aaaaaaand you're being taken advantage of. Ask anyone that knows money - finance - the automobile industry - you're an idiot if you thinking buying new actually saves money - or is anywhere close to the difference in savings.

You sound like you have a bad case of sour grapes.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
So, let's spend our discretionary income on a car, right?

If you ask some people, "list the top 50 most things that are most enjoyable in life," I personally find it pathetic if "driving my car to work" is put on that list. But, to each their own. It's just my opinion, and everyone has their own opinion, that if "driving my car" registers on your list of enjoyable experiences, you're doing that whole life thing wrong.

I assure you a lot of us question your lifestyle choices as well.

Nov 8, 2012
This is what I find hilarious about people like you, you think that "luxury cars" = money. And anybody who doesn't want one and thinks they are stupid = no money.

You WANT people to be jealous of your car, it's part of your justification for buying one. You still haven't got the fact that people like me know the truth, your car is nothing.

And as far as being dead by 59 and not spending a dime, nobody said to not spend a dime and if you derive a big piece of enjoyment from your car you're doing it wrong.

This x9000

The US automobile industry is highly dependent on jealousy (or rather, the prospect that people will want to show boat it in hopes of jealousy).

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

i never said any of that but enjoy making things up lol

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
i never said any of that but enjoy making things up lol

You said in the 12th word of your post. You think you have some type of status because you can throw money away on a "luxury" car. Or like Pho, you think that a BMW is "good engineering" when, in fact, it's shitty engineering sold through marketing. A BMW is nothing more than a diamond (good marketing) but in reality it's a diamond that depreciates and can't be sold for anything but a fraction of its value in 15 years while a diamond, provided deBeers upholds it's sales pitch for 15 years can still be sold for its value, if not far more.

That's what I find hilarious about people who buy cars like this and throw it in other people's face. Your *ONLY* justification for it is status and anybody who doubts your supposed status can't hope to gain it because they are "poor".

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You said in the 12th word of your post. You think you have some type of status because you can throw money away on a "luxury" car. Or like Pho, you think that a BMW is "good engineering" when, in fact, it's shitty engineering sold through marketing. A BMW is nothing more than a diamond (good marketing) but in reality it's a diamond that depreciates and can't be sold for anything but a fraction of its value in 15 years while a diamond, provided deBeers upholds it's sales pitch for 15 years can still be sold for its value, if not far more.

That's what I find hilarious about people who buy cars like this and throw it in other people's face. Your *ONLY* justification for it is status and anybody who doubts your supposed status can't hope to gain it because they are "poor".

false.

what is annoying is that people who can't afford it or don't want to purchase one think that no one should for the same reasons that they don't, instead of just letting people spend their hard earned money on what they enjoy and not worrying about it. instead you want to preach to save save save because its a "waste of money" when in reality, everything in life is a "waste of money" other than food and shelter.

never once did i say i got my car to make others jealous or anything of that nature. i don't give a shit what people think of my car. im not throwing anything in people's face, this thread is about car prices in general.

and fwiw, i don't own a bmw nor do i ever plan to or have because im done with european cars.

also, if people think that a honda or toyota is the same experience as driving a higher end car, they are only kidding themselves. to many people though it is worth the extra price to have the extras that nicer cars give.

just like with anything - clothes, computers, tools, etc. a $150 lawn mower will cut grass just like a $400 lawn mower will. but to some the $400 lawn mower is worth it because of the added features.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Wait, so people has to buy a car because they want other people to be jealous of it? Why can't they buy it because they ENJOY the car? What if it has the creature comforts, amenities, qualities, safety, and technical advancement that the purchaser appreciates it for?

The way I see it, if you think someone buy anything to invoke jealousy in others, perhaps you should take a look at yourself, and think long and hard about why that's the first thing that came to your mind.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
false.

what is annoying is that people who can't afford it or don't want to purchase one think that no one should for the same reasons that they don't, instead of just letting people spend their hard earned money on what they enjoy and not worrying about it. instead you want to preach to save save save because its a "waste of money" when in reality, everything in life is a "waste of money" other than food and shelter.

never once did i say i got my car to make others jealous or anything of that nature. i don't give a shit what people think of my car. im not throwing anything in people's face, this thread is about car prices in general.

and fwiw, i don't own a bmw nor do i ever plan to or have because im done with european cars.

also, if people think that a honda or toyota is the same experience as driving a higher end car, they are only kidding themselves. to many people though it is worth the extra price to have the extras that nicer cars give.

just like with anything - clothes, computers, tools, etc. a $150 lawn mower will cut grass just like a $400 lawn mower will. but to some the $400 lawn mower is worth it because of the added features.

Just in case you can't read or want to forget your post...

Originally Posted by purbeast0
he is, and again, screaming SAVE SAVE SAVE like all the poor people on this thread are. they just can't fathom the fact that some people can save and enjoy nice things simply because they have never been in that position.

Your sole justification is that people are "poor" and they can't be you.

You think you have status, being a "rich" person who can afford a "luxury" car, over "poor" people. That is why you buy one. Anybody who doubts your status is "poor", hence your post above. In reality, a lot of "poor" people are really only people who have figured out more than you have, even when they aren't really "poor".

And what's even funnier is that you'll protest that notion until you are blue in the face, yet you post stupid shit like above. Why don't you just be like Pho and say you were just "trolling". I'll even let you bow out gracefully.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Wait, so people has to buy a car because they want other people to be jealous of it? Why can't they buy it because they ENJOY the car? What if it has the creature comforts, amenities, qualities, safety, and technical advancement that the purchaser appreciates it for?

The way I see it, if you think someone buy anything to invoke jealousy in others, perhaps you should take a look at yourself, and think long and hard about why that's the first thing that came to your mind.

You have two great examples of this. Pho (I buy a car so I can look good in front of doctors) and purebeast (anybody who hates on "rich man cars" is poor).

They are proving my case pretty damn nicely. But of course they don't really believe that, they are just trolling...lol.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Just in case you can't read or want to forget your post...

Your sole justification is that people are "poor" and they can't be you.

You think you have status, being a "rich" person who can afford a "luxury" car, over "poor" people. That is why you buy one. Anybody who doubts your status is "poor", hence your post above. In reality, a lot of "poor" people are really only people who have figured out more than you have, even when they aren't really "poor".

And what's even funnier is that you'll protest that notion until you are blue in the face, yet you post stupid shit like above. Why don't you just be like Pho and say you were just "trolling". I'll even let you bow out gracefully.

you are totally missing the point of what i'm trying to say, or maybe it didn't come off correctly in my posts.

when i'm saying "poor" people i am talking about those who can't comfortably afford a more expensive car, and therefore they have to make excuses as to what their justification is by saying "anyone who can afford one is stupid they should save that money instead!"

why "should" they save it instead of spending it on something they enjoy? who are they to say what people "should" spend their money on?

Naeeldar

Aug 20, 2001
You have two great examples of this. Pho (I buy a car so I can look good in front of doctors) and purebeast (anybody who hates on "rich man cars" is poor).

They are proving my case pretty damn nicely. But of course they don't really believe that, they are just trolling...lol.

OK so this is just getting assine. So the only reason to buy a sporty/luxury car is due to showboating? People can't possible enjoy the car? So people who ride motorcycles even though thye are $6-9k are equally stupid?

It's one thing to say you don't enjoy another person's love/hobby it's another thing entirely to insult and spit on it.

Legend that is just as bad as somebody who buys a car for status.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
they just can't fathom the fact that some people can save and enjoy nice things simply because they have never been in that position.

This. Obviously everyone should have a sufficient amount of savings. My wife and I try to keep at least enough money in savings to live on for 6 months with zero income or 12 months on unemployment. Beyond that, we purchase things for the house, just got a new bed, and *gasp* spent $28k on a new car.

I've never owned anything more than an economy 4 banger and I decided I wanted something fun to drive for once. We could afford to get it, pay it off in under 2 years, so we decided to get it and sell our 2007 Camry.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
OK so this is just getting assine. So the only reason to buy a sporty/luxury car is due to showboating? People can't possible enjoy the car? So people who ride motorcycles even though thye are $6-9k are equally stupid?

It's one thing to say you don't enjoy another person's love/hobby it's another thing entirely to insult and spit on it.

Legend that is just as bad as somebody who buys a car for status.

I've seen these types for the last 10 years, I know them pretty well.

It's like this guy I worked with that had a 3 series and was a total bimmerhead. All he could talk about was his bimmer. Bimmer this, bimmer that, bimmer everything. It was hilarious because his car was constantly in need of the garage despite being almost new (at least when I first got there).

When I bought my accord I would needle him about how I had more power than he did, how from the numbers my 0-60 was faster, how i had more room and a lower TCO. He was furious every time. I knew I could use it when I wanted to jab him and I did quite a bit. I made just as much as him but he couldn't stand the fact that a "lower" car than his was better in a few stupid and arbitrary numbers (of course he didn't see them as stupid or arbitrary, he owned a DRIVING MACHINE!!").

He's probably about 80% of Bimmer/Merc/whatever owners that I've run into.

The other 20% are cool people who just drive their car and I don't care. However, when somebody like Pho or purebeast runs around and uses it as status or says that only "poor" people can't afford their cars and that's why they rip on them, it's funny to needle them even more.

Look at them tripping over themselves to justify it, it's great. They can't help themselves.

Last edited:

PhoKingGuy

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2007
I've seen these types for the last 10 years, I know them pretty well.

It's like this guy I worked with at my bank. He had a 3 series and was totally a bimmerhead. All he could talk about was his bimmer. Bimmer this, bimmer that, bimmer everything. It was hilarious because his car was constantly in need of the garage despite being almost new (at least when I first got there).

When I bought my accord I would needle him about how I had more power than he did, how from the numbers my 0-60 was faster, how i had more room and a lower TCO. He was furious every time. I knew I could use it when I wanted to jab him and I did quite a bit. I made just as much as him but he couldn't stand the fact that a "lower" car than his was better in a few stupid and arbitrary numbers (of course he didn't see them as stupid or arbitrary, he owned a DRIVING MACHINE!!").

He's probably about 80% of Bimmer/Merc/whatever owners that I've run into.

The other 20% are cool people who just drive their car and I don't care. However, when somebody like Pho or purebeast runs around and uses it as status or says that only "poor" people can't afford their cars and that's why they rip on them, it's funny to needle them even more.

Look at them tripping over themselves to justify it, it's great. They can't help themselves.

You are a sad sad little man. I could honestly give two shits what some moron like you believes, I work my rear end off for what I have, that's all that should really matter.

(I seriously doubt your accord goes from 0-60 in less than 5 seconds)

I'd probably put you on sertraline, it might do you some good.

Its funny because all of my friends here drive nicer cars than I do, who do I show off to? The drive through lady at Dunkin? lol

Hell my friend here with a 535i has a 599/Flying Spur/Range and an S550 at home.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
You are a sad sad little man. I could honestly give two shits what some moron like you believes, I work my rear end off for what I have, that's all that should really matter.

(I seriously doubt your accord goes from 0-60 in less than 5 seconds)

I'd probably put you on sertraline, it might do you some good.

Its funny because all of my friends here drive nicer cars than I do, who do I show off to? The drive through lady at Dunkin? lol

Hell my friend here with a 535i has a 599/Flying Spur/Range and an S550 at home.

You need to impress your drug doctors, that's who. You can't be seen in a "hoopty".

Typical drug guy, "hey, you rolled me so you need drugs!". It's one reason why I despise psychology, at least the pshrink side, despite having a BS in it from a top psych school.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Anyway, as far as car prices being out of control...

Look at the quality and included features of your average car these days. Heck, take a look at the evolution of your average sedan over the last 15 years. Bigger, more flashy...etc. People want more and borrowing rates are low so they can get it.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I remember a time when you were lucky to get 100k miles on a car before it become a money pit with repairs,and if you had a collision above 30 mph you were probably seriously injured. They had so little power, and got crap for mileage.

Would you rather have today's cars, or those cars?

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
why are you all so mad about this

some people like having nice cars

some people like having nice PCs

get the fuck over it

eldorado99

Lifer
Feb 16, 2004
I remember a time when you were lucky to get 100k miles on a car before it become a money pit with repairs,and if you had a collision above 30 mph you were probably seriously injured. They had so little power, and got crap for mileage.

Would you rather have today's cars, or those cars?
Those cars looked so much better.