New build will not POST

Docov

Jun 22, 2018
So I have finally given up troubleshooting and hopefully you guys can share your knowledge with me. Heres the part list:
CPU: Intel i5 7500
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gb DDR4 @ 2400
Mobo: ASUS B360M-A
GPU: Nvidia 1050ti
PSU: Evga 600B bronze rated
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo m.2

So we started the day by putting everything, with the exception of the SSD, on the Mobo and used the case power button to turn it on. Except it only spun the fans for a brief second and turned off. So after some quick troubleshooting, I had thought the PSU was dead because the Mobo LED was not turning on when we flipped the PSU switch. So we returned the PSU, which was a Corsair cx650m, for an EVGA 600B. This time we took the Mobo out of the case and set it on the mobo box to breadboard it. We hooked up the PSU to the board, used a staple to short the power button pins, and same thing happened. LED was still not on and the fans spun for a split second then lost power. I swapped RAM slots and tried a known good stick of RAM. Still nothing. So I determined the Mobo was bad. So I swapped out the Gigabyte H370m d3h for the current ASUS one. Reconnected everything, and still the same thing. We then tried starting it after disconnecting the CPU power cable, in which it stayed powered on, but no video. So after that, we determined that the CPU was bad then. Returned it, got the same model again. Plugged everything back in and same result. I really don't understand how we replaced all parts needed to POST, and it still will not POST. I did buy a speaker for it and have heard no beeps the entire time. Even used an old PCI POST card that I had. Pls send help.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
You should always start with a minimal setup and add an additional component after each successful post. What about your heat sink? Does the mb need a bios update?

Docov

Jun 22, 2018
I'm not sure what version of bios is currently installed but I haven't even been able to get to the bios yet. Even with just CPU and one stick of ram.

Docov

Jun 22, 2018
And the heatsink is the hyper 212 t4. I have tried booting with the fan plugged in and unplugged.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Are both the ATX power connectors (24-pin EATXPWR, 8-pin EATX12V) plugged in to the mobo?
Green #1...
yKeoUNx.png

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
CPU: Intel i5 7500
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gb DDR4 @ 2400
Mobo: ASUS B360M-A
Might help if you bought a Coffee Lake CPU, to go with your 300-series board. Jus' saying. :)

Edit: To make it plain: You bought incompatible hardware, you need to match the CPU to the motherboard. The fact that Intel now currently has two DIFFERENT, INCOMPATIBLE socket 1151 standards, doesn't help. Worse yet, the alignment pins on the socket are the same between them.

Leading to your dilemma.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Larry is 100% correct. The B360 motherboards only support the 8th Gen cpu's. So your choices are to either get a new cpu or an older series motherboard.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It really is a shame, that Intel CHOSE not to make the newer mobos backwards compatible.

Edit: OP, buy an i3-8100. On Coffee Lake, the i3's are quad-cores.

Docov

Jun 22, 2018
It really is a shame, that Intel CHOSE not to make the newer mobos backwards compatible.

Edit: OP, buy an i3-8100. On Coffee Lake, the i3's are quad-cores.
Thanks! Yeah I finally figured that out last night. I feel pretty stupid now. Always thought that if the socket was the same it would work. Thanks for the help!