New Black Panther leader of Houston chapter: Democrats exploiting blacks

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
You merely dodge the question of why minorities would disproportionately choose such paths. It's because they're disproportionately poor.

That leads back to my original proposition that much of what there is to see is the result of systemic racism at a lot of different levels, overt & covert, intentional and unintentional, subtle and profound. Once you acknowledge that it can only be one of those two ways you'll have a much better understanding of what confronts us.

Let's just stipulate your opinion for sake of argument, so what? Between the Great Society, social welfare programs, affirmative action, and numerous other means the nation has attempted to address those sources of systematic racism. And yet blacks STILL make those bad choices. Do you plan to (A) keep on offering redistribution in eternity to blacks as if saying "sorry we know you're incapable of making good decisions so here's money for when you inevitably fvck it up," or (B) take away their free will and impose better choices on them, or (C) take off the training wheels for the first time in generations and allow them to finally earn some accomplishments on their own merits thus creating a self perpetuating virtuous cycle?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Regardless of what republicans or conservatives think or do, the Democrat party is becoming the party of "say anything, but do little or nothing" just as long the other guy (republicans/conservatives) are worse.

Some call it exploitation while others call it pragmatism, but as long as the intended votes keep coming in nothing will change.

Just ask the "anti-free trade" unions how their consistent voting for the Democratic party has worked out for them, because the only other choice they are told is the union hating other guy.

I am super confident that the Republicans could fix this problem by not being worse than the Democrats, but unfortunately, they decided to double down on that this election cycle.
The GOP simply doesn't care about civil rights for blacks, its voter base is too offended by the idea of black people being their political equals.
And what good would protectionist trade policies do for unions after the GOP legislates them out of existence?
The GOP could change on those issues, but they won't, and so the Democrats get those votes. Whose fault is that really?

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
It matters a lot what LBJ said, because that is the philosophy of the democrat party.

Give minorities just enough to keep them happy, but not enough to make a difference, and they will keep voting democrat.

Democrats do not give a damn about the issues facing the poor. If they did, welfare would not be a career path. Democrats want minorities on social assistance. Make it "look" like democrats are trying to help them. In the end democrats trap minorities with social assistance, just enough to get by, but not enough to make a real difference.

Still better than voting for the klan. Kinda sucks to be black in merica, don't it?

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Or (C) they aren't inferior and on average have just as much innate capability as anyone else, but choose paths that don't allow them to reach that potential. Like dropping out of school. Or doing drugs. Having their own children at 13 years old. Killing each other at rates that rival sub-Saharan nations gripped in civil war.

They dont "choose" these paths any more than the poor white people in Appalachia, though I'd bet you only sympathize with one of these groups. These are all corrosive effects of entrenched poverty and lack of opportunity, only blacks have lived in this cycle of poverty for generations and have been hampered by systemic racism. Democrats favor policies to break these cycles of poverty by opening up avenues for escape, and yes, this can sometimes be at the expense of others, ie affirmative action. Republican policy is nothing more than pulling the rug out from under them and moralizing at them for "choosing" to get a poor education in their shitty schools, or "choosing" to grow up in single parent households because their fathers are dead or in prison.

Reactions: Schmide

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
They dont "choose" these paths any more than the poor white people in Appalachia, though I'd bet you only sympathize with one of these groups. These are all corrosive effects of entrenched poverty and lack of opportunity, only blacks have lived in this cycle of poverty for generations and have been hampered by systemic racism. Democrats favor policies to break these cycles of poverty by opening up avenues for escape, and yes, this can sometimes be at the expense of others, ie affirmative action. Republican policy is nothing more than pulling the rug out from under them and moralizing at them for "choosing" to get a poor education in their shitty schools, or "choosing" to grow up in single parent households because their fathers are dead or in prison.

remind me again what the participant growth of welfare/food stamps has done in the past 8 years.

I think its safe to say the democratic experiment that you hold as the gold standard has failed.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
remind me again what the participant growth of welfare/food stamps has done in the past 8 years.

I think its safe to say the democratic experiment that you hold as the gold standard has failed.

Don't you think you might want to factor in the largest economic disaster since the great depression before declaring something to have failed? Seems like it might be important, haha.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

I don't sympathize with either group and their bad choices honestly. You don't build up personal accountability by shielding people from the results of poor choices. "Entrenched poverty and lack of opportunities" didn't put a gun to the heads of blacks in Compton or whites in Appalachia and say "stick this needle full of heroin in your arm or die." Roaming bands of systematic racism didn't pillage their homes and lash them to a wheel preventing them from completing high school, or in some cases middle or even elementary school. Ravaging hordes of poverty cycles didn't cause an immaculate conception that made them pregnant at 13.

Do you honestly want to help poors? I mean really help poors, not just give them someone else's money just to make them go away and in turn make you feel better? Then stop giving the poor checks and give them jobs. You personally give them a job, not just hold up a sign begging someone else (some rich person or company). And then personally give them the training and support to do them well. Be a fvcking mentor to them for the first time in their lives. Put your own fvcking money to work in your own cities helping people to help themselves by honest effort to enable them to have their own personal accomplishments. Until then STFU about how "glenn1 should spend more time with the poors" and similar diversions. Stop making things worse for them while thinking you're doing good, all it's doing is the equivalent of giving millions one of those mobility scooters to fat people at Wal-Mart rather than expecting and demanding better of them, which is exactly what they're capable of.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Except that social programs aren't about race but rather about poverty. So if minorities end up in poverty more often than whites it means one of two things- either minorities are inferior, something I refuse to believe, or systemic racism makes it that way. Take your pick.

I respectfully disagree.

There is a third element, and that is the perpetual victim. If someone is taught their whole lives there is no way for them to succeed in life because the deck is stacked against them, they do not even try.

In other words, self victimization.

Jan 25, 2011
Have you seen the picture of the klan member kissing hillary on the cheek?

You do realize the klan was founded by democrats?
You mean the guy who was involved in the 50s and spent the next 60 years apologizing for ever having anything to do with it while being recognized and praised by back groups? That guy?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's almost like the OP has never taken the words of one crazy member of an attached party for the general opinions of that entire party. No, he never makes that mistake

oh....

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Have you seen the picture of the klan member kissing hillary on the cheek?

You do realize the klan was founded by democrats?

You do realize that Strom "I really fucking hate blacky" Thurmond was a democrat before he invaded your republican party?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
LBJ set up the shock collar fence around the plantation and the democrats maintained it up through now. Give the addict, what you've gotten them addicted to and they'll vote for you every time.That's a failed social experiment and the sooner it gets abolished, the sooner people can heal from it. The reason there are multi generations living in poverty is because they have been conditioned to believe there is no other path, that it's normal and expected. That world was constructed by politicians, to keep SOME people exactly where they want them. Living just enough, just enough for the city. :(

If Republicans were so noble and truly desired the support of minorities and especially blacks, then they wouldn't so blatantly squash every attempt of blacks to vote in great numbers. There is no more blatant and inarguable case of modern voter suppression than what the GOP has done done in NC over the last 2 years.

It is piss-poor optics for any GOP backer to sit on their hands about what they are actually doing to black people, and then claim: "Gee! You guys really would like us and vote for us if you just listened to this theory I have about what Dems are doing to you people!"

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
And look at what party's nominee the Klan supports today!

How do you feel that you and the Klan share an affinity for the same guy?

If you "think" you have any idea of the issues facing the poor and minorities, you are probably wrong.

I see poverty and the effects of it everyday. Not being able to find a job, lack of access to higher education, even in community colleges.

Democrats have done nothing to fix the issues. Even in democrat strongholds, the poor are still getting poor.

If you want an example from my location, Jasper Texas, I will give you an exact example of what I am talking about.

Feb 16, 2005
If you "think" you have any idea of the issues facing the poor and minorities, you are probably wrong.

I see poverty and the effects of it everyday. Not being able to find a job, lack of access to higher education, even in community colleges.

Democrats have done nothing to fix the issues. Even in democrat strongholds, the poor are still getting poor.

If you want an example from my location, Jasper Texas, I will give you an exact example of what I am talking about.
that in no way answered the question. how do you feel that YOUR candidate is currently endorsed by the kkk?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Ah, Jasper Texas: where it's better to torture and behead a gay guy rather than let him go about his way. TH--I think poverty in Jasper is the least of your concerns.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
that in no way answered the question. how do you feel that YOUR candidate is currently endorsed by the kkk?

Dunno, why don't you enlighten us why blacks supported Hillary in greater numbers than Sanders although you would believe his redistributionist policies were far more appealing to those facing "systematic racism" for years and the direct cause for all their failures as a community?

http://inthesetimes.com/article/19020/why-arent-more-black-voters-supporting-bernie-sanders

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Nice attempt at changing the subject. You appeared to think that Democrats founding the KKK was bad, how do you feel that the KKK now enthusiastically supports the Republican nominee? You guys are on the same side!

Jan 25, 2011
Ah, Jasper Texas: where it's better to torture and behead a gay guy rather than let him go about his way. TH--I think poverty in Jasper is the least of your concerns.
The same Jasper. TX where white supremacists murdered James Byrd Jr. and they sell dirt from his grave and pieces of the chains that dragged him online. Where the white residents organized to recall only the black council members so they could fire the first black police chief. The same police chief awarded almost 900K due to a discrimination suit after the fact. WHo now, thanks to the removal of preclearance under the Voters Rights Act are working hard to segregate white only districts.

Reactions: Schmide

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Dunno, why don't you enlighten us why blacks supported Hillary in greater numbers than Sanders although you would believe his redistributionist policies were far more appealing to those facing "systematic racism" for years and the direct cause for all their failures as a community?

http://inthesetimes.com/article/19020/why-arent-more-black-voters-supporting-bernie-sanders

Probably because most of his policies and messaging targeted young, middle class white people?

Student loan forgiveness isn't a big priority for those communities, free college isn't a big priority (still trying to fix K-12 education there), their stance on crime and health care policies were similar, and Clinton explicitly promised to carry over the policies of Obama, which the black community overwhelmingly favors. Sanders on the other hand repeatedly attacked Obama's policies.

Pretty simple.

Feb 16, 2005
The same Jasper. TX where white supremacists murdered James Byrd Jr. and they sell dirt from his grave and pieces of the chains that dragged him online. Where the white residents organized to recall only the black council members so they could fire the first black police chief. The same police chief awarded almost 900K due to a discrimination suit after the fact. WHo now, thanks to the removal of preclearance under the Voters Rights Act are working hard to segregate white only districts.

Oh snap.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I respectfully disagree.

There is a third element, and that is the perpetual victim. If someone is taught their whole lives there is no way for them to succeed in life because the deck is stacked against them, they do not even try.

In other words, self victimization.

Yeh, I see that in right wing culture warriors all the time. So picked on. So oppressed.