Networking Support thread for the unemployed: Spring 2014

Page 45 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lucky no

Results are only viewable after voting.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Support Analyst for product/development operations in Bellevue, WA. Mid-level, 2+ years experience. Classic support work for clients: triage, escalation, occasional product demo.

mAdMaLuDaWg

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2003
Looking for a solid developer to join my team at an investment bank in NYC. Preferred language is Java but open to anything really if you are a smart technologist in general.

PM me for more info.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
EU only (or rather, former EU)

skills: none
field: any
start: now
is this a joke: no

pmelo

Jul 27, 2016
hello, I'm systems engineer and I love to work in web systems area, please contact me if you need some work
smile.png

thanks

xeleron

Sep 24, 2015
Hello,I'm looking for a job somewhere in the Eu (UK included).I have 10+ years experience in computer hardware and maintenance and a smaller experience in networking.The problem is that I am not certified (I have no special schooling, I learned everything by myself) but I am currently getting there (I am following six courses at the same time,Comptia A+ and Network+,RHCE ,RHCSA CCNA and Cisco troubleshooting and maintenance).I am from Romania and my english level is excellent.Thank you.

hellfire88

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2003
My company is looking to fill 2 positions in the IT Infrastructure Team. The company is located in Manhattan, NYC

First is a Senior Windows System Admin:

Fully knowledgeable on the day-to-day activities, resolves complex issues where expertise is required to interpret policies, guidelines, and practice. May be considered a subject matter expert for one or more functions or processes. Focus on operational execution and occasional broader planning within areas of expertise. May have direct report subordinate staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:

• Provides all levels of production support for Windows server, storage, operating systems, and desktops.
  • Engineers and implements new infrastructure solutions.
  • Acts as the subject matter expert for all back end IT systems.
  • Provides technical support and troubleshooting for the HP Tandem Computer in both the NY branch and London branch.
  • Trains and mentors other members of the IT department as necessary.
  • Handles daily system/backup checks.
  • Runs Tandem system utilities and maintenance procedures.
  • Performs upgrades, patches, and maintenance activities.
  • Updates procedures and documentation based on system changes.
  • Helps to plan and operate disaster recovery tests.
  • Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned by management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:

• 5+ years of experience as a Windows System Administrator and/or Engineer.
  • Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Windows Server 2003/ 2008 and Active Directory.
  • Knowledge of HP Tandem Nonstop System.
  • Knowledge of VMware ESX/ vSphere 3.5 or higher.
  • Knowledge of Microsoft Exchange 2007/ 2010.
  • Working knowledge of networking and protocols.
  • Experience with data center infrastructure and disaster recovery planning.
  • Good organization and multi-tasking skills.

Second is for a Windows System Engineer

Summary: Follows established guidelines for day-to-day, routine operational and administrative work. May be required to use some independent thought to handle complex issues. Focus on execution within defined parameters, some expansion based on developing capabilities or experiences in conjunction with experienced staff. May have informal supervisory functions assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:

1. Maintains the network configuration information and works closely with the network vendors to upgrade and keep the network in good condition.
2. Responsible for providing maintenance, technical support, and troubleshooting the Local Area Network (LAN) and Windows Servers.
3. Maintains the disaster recovery site and makes sure that the Double Take replication works properly.
4. Responsible for system resource management.
5. Provides help desk service support to users and ensures systems are in good condition for daily operation.
6. Supports LAN, and SWIFT security report distribution.
7. Liaisons with the vendors, contractors, and SIS Technical Team in Japan.
8. Assists users with understanding the design of LAN and other related software systems.
9. Runs system utilities for LAN and maintains written procedures and system documentation.
10. Advises users on software packages and how to utilize existing software efficiently.
11. Responsible for maintaining computer hardware and software inventories.
12. Responsible for maintaining printers and interacts with and supervises vendors regarding printer problems and maintenance.
13. Responsible for maintaining and coordinating various systems security administration.
14. Helps with coordination and preparation of various system audits and examinations.
15. Evaluates and tests new software before deploying to production.
16. Performs the evaluation and comparative analysis of proposed hardware/software acquisitions.
17. Manages and supervises related computer software that are both developed in-house and provided by vendors.
18. Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned by management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in computer sciences or a comparable field with 3+ years of experience in network maintenance.
2. Bilingual oral and written skills on a business level in both English and Japanese preferred.
3. Networking knowledge of Cisco Routers, Cisco Switches, Cisco Firewall, Juniper Firewall, and Intrusion Detection, and Prevention Systems as well as LAN card technology -100 meg and Gigabit Ethernet cards and PCI express technology.
4. Good knowledge of LAN maintenance, Windows 2003 and 2008 Server, Windows desktop, and Microsoft Office knowledge.
5. MCSE (Microsoft Certified System Engineer) preferred.
6. SQL knowledge, preferred.
7. Financial institution working experience preferred.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If your contract runs out and they cant afford to extend you, does that count as firing or quitting?
I honestly dont know but the unemployment office thinks it counts as quitting.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
If your contract runs out and they cant afford to extend you, does that count as firing or quitting?
I honestly don't know but the unemployment office thinks it counts as quitting.
Any substantive change in your employment relation (like a demotion), or having your hours slashed, or your contract 'running out' are all unemployment.

Unless that contract was for 'seasonal work' (like a roofer or a teacher over the summer) and other special jobs the state may designate. But in these cases it is expected you will return to work the next season.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Umm, OK, that was nice info but not at all helpful.
I had a six month contract at Tektronix. I worked it. No complains from them, or me.
They could not afford to extend my contract and were sad to let me go.

Was I fired?
Or did I quit?

I dont think its either one but nobody in a position of authority can seem to agree with me.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
You were fired (technically, willfully discharged). In most states you should just fill out the unemployment forms and when your employer says "nah" you appeal, you waill be appointed an advocate, and you will win. This only involves 1) applying 2) appealing when denied.

However, the formula for how much you get may be a multiple of your lowest average income over any 12 month period in the last 18 months. So if you were unemployed for months, employed for six months, and then re-employed it may not be all that much.

Oh, unless were not an employee: were you an independent contractor?

Because then we can see if you were really an independent contractor, or, as is too often the case, were really an employee but treated like an independent contractor so they could make you pay both halves of medicaid/social-security.

Umm, OK, that was nice info but not at all helpful.
I had a six month contract at Tektronix. I worked it. No complains from them, or me.
They could not afford to extend my contract and were sad to let me go.

Was I fired?
Or did I quit?

I dont think its either one but nobody in a position of authority can seem to agree with me.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I need to hire a HelpDesk Tech for our HQ in Denver. typical normal helpdesk stuff with a bit of sys admin here and there. this is a mulitnational company with north american HQ in Denver and main HQ Europe. I would like to find somebody with a little experience in ESX, IBM global support, imaging laptops, AD stuff like Group Policies, DHCP, DNS, and Office365. if interested PM me.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I need to hire a HelpDesk Tech for our HQ in Denver. typical normal helpdesk stuff with a bit of sys admin here and there. this is a mulitnational company with north american HQ in Denver and main HQ Europe. I would like to find somebody with a little experience in ESX, IBM global support, imaging laptops, AD stuff like Group Policies, DHCP, DNS, and Office365. if interested PM me.

Damn, sounds right up my alley (and I am freshly laid off), but can't just pack up and move at this point in my life. Haven't even owned my home for 12 months yet and just got a doggo.

This unemployed thing sucks, haven't even gotten any bites yet for where I've applied.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Damn, sounds right up my alley (and I am freshly laid off), but can't just pack up and move at this point in my life. Haven't even owned my home for 12 months yet and just got a doggo.

This unemployed thing sucks, haven't even gotten any bites yet for where I've applied.

Bummer. let me know if you want the job posting on Indeed. DENVER is A hot II market. Some are saying it's a negative unemployment for IT.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Bummer. let me know if you want the job posting on Indeed. DENVER is A hot II market. Some are saying it's a negative unemployment for IT.

Yeah awhile back I had been wanting to get out to Denver real bad. I'd still like to, but I think it might be best if I do that while I'm already actively employed and can make it make without any pain.

But yeah it's like the extension of Silicon Valley these days, the tech sector there is supposed to be unreal. Doesn't hurt that the culture out there is pretty damn awesome.

HotJob

Apr 27, 2017
I'm an industrial controls technician with a heavy IT background (I was pretty much "shadow IT" for our district, to the point where official IT would say "Have HotJob handle it" when they got tired of my boss). Anyone heard of F2OnSite? Supposedly they are looking for a field PC/Printer repair technician, but I don't want a job I lose money in (respect to tractor trailer/ FedEx Ground drivers, y'all get hosed)