Networking Support thread for the unemployed: Spring 2014

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lucky no

Results are only viewable after voting.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
FYI

7-26-2011

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/job-listings-unemployed-not-apply-133143362.html

Job listings say the unemployed need not apply

Hundreds of job opening listings posted on Monster.com and other jobs sites explicitly state that people who are unemployed would be less attractive applicants, with some telling the long-term unemployed to not even bother with applying.

Barring unemployed people from applying does not qualify under the statutory definition of discrimination, since unemployment is not a federally protected status like age or race.

Americans who have been out of work for more than six months to be told they are automatically disqualified for the few openings that are out there.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
FYI

7-26-2011

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/job-listings-unemployed-not-apply-133143362.html

Hundreds of job opening listings posted on Monster.com and other jobs sites explicitly state that people who are unemployed would be less attractive applicants, with some telling the long-term unemployed to not even bother with applying.

Barring unemployed people from applying does not qualify under the statutory definition of discrimination, since unemployment is not a federally protected status like age or race.

Americans who have been out of work for more than six months to be told they are automatically disqualified for the few openings that are out there.

Yeah, I am getting scared as hell. I have heard this a while ago. I am thinking about returning to my old industry (I hate it with a passion) just to no longer be unemployed. I have been getting calls like crazy, but it's only for jobs in the industry I was laid off from.

Anyone wanna hire an EE who wants to transition back into electronics?

Last edited:

TalonStrike

Nov 5, 2010
winter 2011? wtf?

also, this thread is a waste. no one would hire someone off a silly forum like this.

Please don't threadcrap in here. -Admin DrPizza

Last edited by a moderator:

Krynj

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2006
winter 2011? wtf?

also, this thread is a waste. no one would hire someone off a silly forum like this.

Nonsense. Networking and making established contacts is half the battle. I'm not sure how many people have actually found work from this thread, but, it's not harming anybody.

For the most part, I would say these forums are packed with brilliant, talented individuals. Nothing wrong with a community of like-minded computer and tech geeks trying to help one-another.

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
FYI

7-26-2011

Wow, that's pretty...stupid. In a situation like that, why would anyone not lie about their employment history? They would have absolutely nothing to lose.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Any freelance designers here?

I'm helping a buddy with his tech startup (mobile related). He needs:

-Logo
-Website (corporate info page plus a template for user login page)
-Graphics for app

Once company has secured investor funding, opportunity for more work (UI/UX, etc).

Requirements:

-Look/feel something like this:
http://www.offermatic.com/l/home-index.php
http://www.betterworks.com/
https://www.payoff.com/
http://www.cardmunch.com/
-Designer must sign NDA
-Preferred in LA, but all bids welcome

PM me email and portfolio I will forward to friend and he will contact for pricing.

Last edited:

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Anyone know of companies in the Downtown Chicago or South Suburban Chicago areas looking for IT people. I have about 14 years of IT experience dealing with everything from networking, hardware, administration and desktop support.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Open positions listed below. PM me a link to your resume or I can send you email address you can send your resume to. Or PM me if you want more specified job description/requirement.

Boston (Telecom/Mobile):
-Product Dev Manager (BS in CS or CE or equiv, 3 years technical proj management)
-QA Engineer (4 years QA, 2 years testing Java/J2EE)
-Audit Engineer (3 years in QA, compliance, audits, Salesforce exp)
-NOC Tech (Salesforce exp)
-Software Engineer (J2SE/J2EE) Senior and Junior levels
-DB Admin (oracle and mysql, 7 years exp)
-PHP Web Dev (Desired SQL, portal dev, telecom/mobile industry)

Los Angeles:
-Senior Accountant

lykaon78

Golden Member
Sep 5, 2001
My company has a handful of openings in the Cincinnati area. There appears to be two database administrator jobs for you techie types. The business analyst opening is in my area.

PM me with questions and or interest.

http://www.westernsouthern.com/careers/

I should add that prior insurance experience is not required for the job in my area (business analyst). We're looking for a tech savvy individual with strong Excel and Access skills who also possesses the basic people and negotiation skills that would be needed to represent our department in corporate wide project meetings.

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
Anyone have any leads for an new grad with a Masters in Electrical Engineering? My specialization is in the Electromagnetics/RF area.

Thanks!

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Anyone want a student labor job at Georgia Southern? The work is simple HTML if you don't know it I'll teach you ;)

Let me know

Dec 26, 2007
I'm a Cisco networking guy (Senior year of CIS major, taking CCNP level courses, internship at Fortune 500 datacenter during an expansion of the raised floor space), and looking for a position.

I'm in NE Ohio, but willing to relocate.

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
I'm a recent graduate (no real work experience) with a Master of Science in computer engineering looking for a software engineering/embedded programming job. Anything related to robotics/computer vision/intelligent systems would be a huge plus. Most of my programming experience has been with C, with some small amounts of assembly and C++, but I was introduced to other languages and programming paradigms as well.

I'm currently in upstate SC, but willing to relocate.

kdawgxbox

Oct 13, 2005
Looking for a certified vmware engineer in central NJ. this is a full time position but we will be hiring soon. Also looking for some jr systems enginner for server work these positions are contract to hire. If anyone is interested pm me for details.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
winter 2011? wtf?

I hired hossenfeffer from here several years ago, and over time I've gotten several people interviews across several companies.

My software as a service employer is hiring for the following jobs. About 80% of the company works from home, and 20% works from the headquarters in San Mateo, CA.

- Customer support account managers
- Product architects
- Product development managers
- Professional services consultants
- Application support engineers (datacenter)
- Infrastructure performance engineers
- UI designers
- Lead generation representatives (sales)
- Sales managers
- Software engineers

Shoot me a PM if you want job descriptions and/or want to send me a resume.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
I will soon have a reasonably well-paying ~20 hours/week position opening in Tucson. I am not too concerned about the degree and background, just need an intelligent person that is the right fit. PM me for details.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
9/16/2011

I'm leaving my current job and starting a new one the week after next.

We're looking for someone to take over my current role. We've interviewed a few people but so far no one is "just right"

If anyone is in the Atlanta/Norcross area that has VMware, iSCSI SAN, AD, GP, DNS, DHCP, Networking, IIS, Windows Server 2008 R2, and anything related skills please PM me.

Apr 12, 2010
Hiring seems to be picking up, with the upcoming fall/winter season.

My phone has been blowing up since right before I went to jail a month ago.
I had some awesome leads before jail... But now I'm screwed on anything outside of walking distance, with not having license + insurance.

But still, I'm supposed to look for leads anyway, so...
I recently relocated to Griffith, IN. I don't really know what's up out here, but it does seem a bit closer to Chicago from here, than where I was, so that's good, I suppose.

Get at me on Linkedin: http://linkd.in/h9EzDU

Last edited:

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
We'll have 26 CSA spots opening soon. Looking for those with accounting backgrounds or those with an arts and cultural background plus technical/troubleshooting skills.

They pay well
Great benefits including 3 weeks of vaca, plus sick time, plus 10 corporate holidays, plus two floating holidays
Medical and Dental

Last edited:

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
15 years old (will be 16 by next summer)

looking for a summer job (yes i know it early) at a tech shop
I LOVE computers as you can tell, I'm willing to work at any hours (since its going to be summer)

Living in the Raleigh NC area.

Experiance: none. lol

pm me for any job :)

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Here are some more Kitchen Brains job openings if you live in Connecticut:

Linux Administrator:

Kitchen Brains™, www.kitchenbrains.com, a provider of integrated, wireless M2M networking solutions and SaaS applications for the commercial kitchen/food service industry, has an immediate need for an entry-level Linux Administrator and Developer.

Position responsibilities will include:

Assisting in the administration of Linux production servers; in the administration and upgrade of production database servers; in the development of a new automated software update infrastructure as part of product offering; and in the development of a customer configuration process and software installation process utilizing Bash shell scripting
Managing and improving internal software build process using Subversion and Ant
Deploying new software releases to hosted server environments running on Linux
Evaluating new monitoring tools and software for use in production environment
Maintaining, patching and monitoring status of hosted servers
Updating Antivirus, Intrusion Detection, and Spam filtering software of hosted servers
Packaging and maintaining codebase deployable as RPM packages
Creating and updating Virtual Machine Test Appliance for external vendor testing
Assisting IT personnel in making VMWare virtual infrastructure changes, such as resizing and commissioning Virtual Machines as needed
Developing and establishing testing policies/script/etc for hosted production server environment
Requirements
B.S. in Computer Science/Engineering or related discipline
2 or more years related experience in Linux administration and configuration a plus but will train
Bash scripting experience a must
Experience with Red Hat Linux (Fedora/Cent OS/Scientific Linux/ RHEL)
Experience with RPM package creation a plus
Strong understanding of software engineering
Strong analytical skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills
Experience troubleshooting Linux servers and developing maintenance plans
Good working knowledge of any of the following a plus: Subversion, Tomcat, Java, Sybase, Apache, Jboss, Ant, VMWare, Oracle

Kitchen Brains™ offers competitive compensation, bonus potential, health benefits, supplemental benefit plans, 401k, and tuition reimbursement. Qualified candidates are requested fax their resume to 203-377-5515. No relocation.

Senior Java Developer:

Kitchen Brains&#8482;, www.kitchenbrains.com, a provider of integrated, wireless M2M networking solutions and SAAS applications for the commercial kitchen/food service industry, has an immediate need for an additional Senior Java Developer. As a member of the Kitchen Brains software development team you will participate in the design and development of new products and new features for existing products. You will also participate in the maintenance of existing software products which will involve investigation of customer reported defects and implementation of fixes. In all of these tasks, you will work closely with other development team members as well as our support, operations and quality assurance teams. As a senior member of the team, you may be asked to occasionally mentor and direct junior members of the development team. Most of your work will be done at our facility in Stratford CT, with only minimal travel to customer sites (i.e. < 2&#37;).

Reporting to the Director of Product Development, your responsibilities will include:

Design, program and test enhancements and new features for the product line.
Maintain the product set by investigating, designing and implementing fixes to customer-reported defects.
Participate in architecture and design efforts affecting the current and future technical direction of the product line.
Participate in the development of product functional specifications from time to time.

Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:

Strong object-oriented software design abilities are essential to this position.
Must have the ability to work independently and to communicate ideas and concepts to upper management.
Demonstrable software architecture and design experience.
Demonstrable experience with core J2SE 1.6 or higher.
Demonstrable experience with J2EE technology is a plus.
Knowledge of/experience with: Java Threading, JMS and messaging based architecture
Experience building web applications employing the MVC architecture and using SPRING 2.5.
Experience with HTML, JavaScript, JSP, and AJAX (DOJO is a plus).
Experience with Java applets and Java SWING for UI development is a plus.
Knowledge of iBATIS and/or Spring JDBC or other object/DB mapping architecture.
Knowledge of/experience with: XML and XML parsing technology.
Working knowledge of SQL, Stored Procedure programming and database schemas.
Experience with Oracle is a plus.
Experience with Apache ANT and Cruise Control is a plus.
Experience with Data Marts, multi-dimensional schemas and data warehouse ETL is a plus.
Ability to write Batch Files (Windows) and/or Shell scripts (Linux).
Requirements
BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Engineering or equivalent. MS is a plus.
7+ years of Java/J2EE development experience.

Kitchen Brains&#8482; offers competitive compensation, bonus potential, health benefits, supplemental benefit plans, 401k, and tuition reimbursement. Qualified candidates are requested to fax their resume to 203-377-5515. No relocation.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Recent college graduate looking for a full-time or contract position in the Rochester, NY area. Graduated in May 2011 from the Rochester Institute of Technology with my BS in Mechanical Engineering. Can send resume upon request. Thanks.