Question Network Issues - Wifi & PLEX Drops

rahulbalmuri

Jun 7, 2020
Hello Network Pros - I'm relatively new here and this is my first post. I am having weird network drops and Wifi Issues. Below is the network mapping of my home devices, before I jump into the problem. All arrows are connected using CAT6 shielded cables.

2020-06-07 13_39_21-Walterhunk Home Map.vsdx - Visio Professional.png

I run PLEX media server on my Desktop (Desktop Config.) to stream content on the smart TV. I connected both my Orbi's via EA8500+Switch so the ethernet backhaul is active. All the devices are on 192.168 IP address series. At any given point I have atmost 15 active Devices on the network. Below are the details of ISP and Speed:

ISP: Xfinity Comcast
Speed: 600 Mbps
Modem: CM1000 Docsis 3.1
Orbi Firmware: V2.3.5.30

Running a Speedtest on my iPhone XS Max within 2 ft. from the Router gives me 250Mbps consistently. I hard-wired to the modem and the speedtest results are consistently close to 550+ Mbps, so I believe I am getting good speeds from Xfinity. The problem is I have frequent streaming issues with PLEX. It streams very good for about 5 mins and then drops out. This is consistent. I tried removing EA8500 from the network and connected Smart TV, Roku and Apple TV through the swith, but they did not recognize any internet connection. So I had to switch back to using EA8500 between switch and these devices.

Do you have any suggestions, on what I could improve here to get consistent speeds via Wifi and no drops using PLEX? I appreciate any advice or pointers in this regard.

rahulbalmuri

Jun 7, 2020
I do not see anything similar to what's described in the link you shared. It seems to be like a network issue and not a transcoding issue. Appreciate the response though.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I see potential problems adding in the Linksys device. What is that in the mix for? There could be IP conflicts, or other issues. See this guide from Linksys for Bridge mode

Also, ensure the linksys is at the latest firmware. Removing the Linksys from the environment and plugging the switch directly into the Orbi should work fine.

IMO, you will want to hardwire the Desktop Plex server. Wifi to Wifi is very difficult for Plex / media streaming.

Orbi should be at current firmware https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR20.aspx#RBR20 Firmware Version 2.5.1.16

rahulbalmuri

Jun 7, 2020
I see potential problems adding in the Linksys device. What is that in the mix for? There could be IP conflicts, or other issues. See this guide from Linksys for Bridge mode

Also, ensure the linksys is at the latest firmware. Removing the Linksys from the environment and plugging the switch directly into the Orbi should work fine.

IMO, you will want to hardwire the Desktop Plex server. Wifi to Wifi is very difficult for Plex / media streaming.

Orbi should be at current firmware https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR20.aspx#RBR20 Firmware Version 2.5.1.16

I want to hardwire my TV, Roku and Apple TV. Since the Orbi router doesn't have enough ports I had to intoduce Linksys in Bridge Mode as a Switch.

My Desktop PLEX is hardwired to Orbi Satellite. I have the latest firmware on Orbi. Thanks for sharing the Bridge link, I did follow all the steps mentioned in this.

I did try to replace Linksys with the netgear switch. Somehow Samsung TV, ROKU and Apple TV did not detect internet when connected via the Switch.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I want to hardwire my TV, Roku and Apple TV. Since the Orbi router doesn't have enough ports I had to intoduce Linksys in Bridge Mode as a Switch.

My Desktop PLEX is hardwired to Orbi Satellite. I have the latest firmware on Orbi. Thanks for sharing the Bridge link, I did follow all the steps mentioned in this.

The switch should work for what you need, you can have one in each room. There shouldnt be a need for the ea8500 to act as a switch but in bridge mode. I would investigate why removing the ea8500 and just adding a switch didn't allow for internet access, it almost sounds like the main orbi config isn't correct or bridge mode wasn't working right (or both)

It would be my preference to wire the desktop directly to the switch. I'm not too familiar with orbi devices, but it just seems like maybe it would passing desktop traffic over the mesh wifi connections.

I haven't used Plex in a long time, but it was very demanding on my network. Especially HD stuff. I had to wire both the desktop and my Roku to get it to work ok, and it was still and little finicky.

@mxnerd found some good info also

You can use a tool like iperf the test LAN network speeds

Last edited:

rahulbalmuri

Jun 7, 2020
How's this turn out so far?

Well. I plugged the modem into the Main line coming out of the closet and wired Orbi to the Modem 2.5 Gbits port. From the Orbi I connected it to a switch and used the RJ-45 outlets to wire up every stationary device. Now I have excellent wired and wifi speeds. I have Xfinity 600 Mbps and am seeing upto 580 Mbps consistently on wired and 400-550 Mbps on Wifi depending on proximity to Orbi. Did not even need the Orbi Satellite.

Reactions: ch33zw1z