Need for Speed Undercover

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_apocalypse

Aug 27, 2008
Originally posted by: drebo
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I actually preferred ProStreet to Carbon.

I HATED the cop chases. 50 cop cars chasing you which can make turns only a unicycle could in real life, weren't phased by anything, magically appeared around each and every corner...no...that wasn't fun at all. The premise behind Carbon was OK, I guess.

I heartily enjoyed the simulation aspect of ProStreet. It was quite fun. I'll admit it was cheesy and not realistic at all, and somewhat repetative (aren't all racing games?) But it was fun.

GRID just tried too hard to be too "realistic" and ended up being neither realistic nor fun. Failure.

GRiD was fun, but the difference in handling and margin for mistakes between the tuned cars and the Le Mans cars was huge. Le Mans Endurance was quite frustrating, especially since I seemed to always screw up with about 30 seconds left in the race.

NFS series is always good for a bit of distraction, but it certainly has no replay value.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Oyeve
I want more concept cars, like in Hot pursuit 1 and 2. Driving at 275mph+ with cops on your ass is great fun!

That's why I loved the car editor for Hot Pursuit. I basically made a 10 ton car with the handling of a sports car and plowed through everything. :)

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Soundmanred
Originally posted by: Oyeve
I want more concept cars, like in Hot pursuit 1 and 2. Driving at 275mph+ with cops on your ass is great fun!

That's why I loved the car editor for Hot Pursuit. I basically made a 10 ton car with the handling of a sports car and plowed through everything. :)

Haha, that reminds me of Hot Pursuit 2. All of the car configs were text documents. It was very very easy to go into the text documents and change the variables to favor your car.

Having trouble winning with the Vauxhall VX220? Open the VX220's text config file and paste the Mercedes CLK-GTR variables into its config, and voila, you have a CLK-GTR cloaked as the Vauxhall.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
GRID just tried too hard to be too "realistic" and ended up being neither realistic nor fun. Failure.

Nothing Codemasters has released in the last while has been realistic (even their Colin McRae games had cars that handled in such a weird way compared to something like Richard Burns Rally). They have to also cater to the arcadey, console gamers to make it fun (ie. easier to handle) which ruins racing games IMO.

Racing games is the one genre I prefer as much realism as possible...and for that something like GPL, GTR2 or rFactor played with a proper wheel is much, much better.

OT, I played Most Wanted and the police chases were fun...I can't remember if I finished the game or not though...maybe Undercover will be fun too. Oh and the last NFS I remember having somewhat realistic handling cars was Porsche Unleashed.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Originally posted by: RallyMaster
I've stopped playing NFS since trying Underground. The last NFS game I played a lot of was NFS Hot Pursuit 2. Right now, the NFS series is just a bunch of commercialized crap that gets released every year with a new car or two. The lack of a large car selection is dismal and the whole arcade racing thing is just getting really kiddish. I guess ProStreet tried to be almost simulation but obviously no one who likes arcade racing likes simulation...

The game in fact has a 2 year developing cycle, there's just 2 teams working on each game, and right now, you could say 2009's NFS title is halfway done. Or that's what EA wants us to believe, and you are actually right :p

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: thilan29

Nothing Codemasters has released in the last while has been realistic (even their Colin McRae games had cars that handled in such a weird way compared to something like Richard Burns Rally). They have to also cater to the arcadey, console gamers to make it fun (ie. easier to handle) which ruins racing games IMO.

Racing games is the one genre I prefer as much realism as possible...and for that something like GPL, GTR2 or rFactor played with a proper wheel is much, much better.

OT, I played Most Wanted and the police chases were fun...I can't remember if I finished the game or not though...maybe Undercover will be fun too. Oh and the last NFS I remember having somewhat realistic handling cars was Porsche Unleashed.

I enjoy racing game like Gran Turismo immensely but sometimes it's just fun to play an arcade racer.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
The best NFS title I've played to date has been Most Wanted. Carbon had a nice idea but the game itself was too short and just simply didn't fully realize its potential. ProStreet was a total failure IMHO. Closed course racing is NOT what NFS is about.

NFS is about having the Need For Speed where there shouldn't be....on the open road with law abiding, speed limit obeying drivers and cops that wanna bust you and beat you down for driving a car that is faster than should be legally allowed so they have to try to wreck your car to stop you or try to puncture your tires and call a helicopter just to keep track of you and still get frustrated when you outsmart and outdrive their asses!!!

Anyway, for me, the best driving game since Most Wanted is an easy call.....GRID. It has its flaws but then again, what game doesn't??? I really enjoyed GRID. For me so far, its the driving game of the year.....Let's hope that EA will deliver this time around and give us another masterpiece in the NFS series!!

Pelu

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2008
Dunno what reasons u guys have for hating ProStreet... but I really dislike... the lack of pursuit... that was a full turn off... oh and open world.. lol...

by the way I dont really think... EA is ever going to release a Holy Grail NFS.... with everything on it....

Pelu

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2008
hm... how much time remaings for undercover... 1 day?

was wondering if it was worth the time... playing GRID in the meantime of undercover lol!!!!!

Pelu

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2008
anyway... besides NFS and GTA which other game have pursuit....????

Like pursuit.... it makes me drool....

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Originally posted by: Baked
Originally posted by: Pelu
oh by the way.... is

GRID = ProStreet?????????

GRID = Good
ProShit = Shit

Wrong way round.

That statement could not be more wrong.

GRID is an excellent game. It takes a while to get used to but its super fun and looks great.

ProStreet is as bad as racing games get. Even lower score than something like Viper Racing.

Roll on Underground!

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Elcs
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Originally posted by: Baked
Originally posted by: Pelu
oh by the way.... is

GRID = ProStreet?????????

GRID = Good
ProShit = Shit

Wrong way round.

That statement could not be more wrong.

GRID is an excellent game. It takes a while to get used to but its super fun and looks great.

ProStreet is as bad as racing games get. Even lower score than something like Viper Racing.

Roll on Underground!

Pro Street just wasn't a Need For Speed game. It was a pretty fun racing game, just a very poor NFS game.
Viper Racing was also a good game, especially for its time.
Neither are really enough arcade to be compared to Grid or NFS: MW. Viper Racing and Pro Street are both IMO best played with a wheel which makes them a lot more fun than anything else, whereas something like NFS:MW is more enjoyable to play as an arcade game and works better on a keyboard in my experience than with a wheel.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I couldn't get myself to finish Most Wanted, so I probably won't be getting this.

I made it pretty far into the game until the milestones started to take like 30 minutes to complete. Some of them were tag 25 police cars, dodge 10 spike strips etc and always took forever to do and then something ridiculous would happen at the end of the pursuit and I would get arrested making all that time a waste.

sonoma1993

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
Originally posted by: AmberClad
ProStreet was terrible. First NFS game in years that I haven't bought. I was lucky I decided to try the demo first, otherwise it would have been a complete waste of money.

Hopefully Undercover will be a lot closer to what Most Wanted was...

i have prostreet as well, the games sucks. Drove me nuts after awhile the announcer kept saying Ryan Cooper

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Originally posted by: RallyMaster
Meh...Forza Motorsport 2 owns all NFS games since Underground.

lol, comparing a "simulator" to an arcade racer. Here's your :cookie:

Well yeah...that's about the only asphalt based racing game I play nowadays. I used to be a lot into the NFS modeling scene but I've completely moved out of that because it just gets worse and worse.

ric0chet06

Jan 11, 2007
is it really that hard to make a NFS game with the forza 2-type physics? I can't play any other game than forza 2, they just seem so.......kiddy? No skill really involved, go 200mph and do a hairpin turn and not fly off the course? tight!