Need a Contractor to build me a Small Bunkhouse offgrid

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Thanks for saying I'm not trolling, because I am really not trolling. Yes I have serious financial and job issues.. to the point where I have to get out...

I don't really appreciate you say I got issues... but that's understandable from you and other people's perspective. I would respond the same if I was in your shoes...

Sorry, I wasnt trying to insult you. I do think that you are making terrible decisions right now though and I'd very much advice that you get some professional advice.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Wouldn't it be even worse decision if I decide to stay in my apartment? I fear that I will get destroyed financially (I'm already destroyed) and the apartment complex will probably sue me cause I won't be able to pay rent. What professional advice would I get? from whom? How is that going to solve my problems? Do I even have money to hire a professional to give me advice when I know it's not going to work? The corporate of this apartment complex is the most ruthless and merciless I have ever seen.. I ended up paying twice the amount of rent for the last 2- 3 months because they keep adding huge fines every week.

At least the bank that financed my car has been willing to work with me and have been very patient with me trying to get caught up with the payments. They didn't even charge me late fees or any penalties...Zero dollars. Even my electric and credit card companies are pretty lenient with me. They charge me very small late fees... But unfortunately the way things are going I won't be able to pay my electric bill. I'm already behind by two months. They will disconnect electricity in my apartment on May 20 unless I make large sum of payment. Plus I've been driving around without the insurance cause they canceled my insurance a month ago..

Last edited:

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Well, in this life you claim to need shelter and security. The absolute least you can do is deal with the current life problems--the only life you can ever possibly claim to know anything about--then cross those other bridges when they arrive.

To believe that the only way to reach eternal "goodness" is to live your actual life in abject misery and torture, is simply no fucking way to live. What kind of masochist wants to take any sort of risk handing over their soul to the type of god that endorses that? LoL--I've got news for you buddy: that sure as shit ain't Jesus whispering sweet nothings into your fleshy skull.
At least come to God and repent. Receive his forgiveness and salvation. You don't have to face exact same suffering like I have in order to get saved. It can be 10 times easier... it all depends on how close you want to be to God.

The problem is if we get far away from God, though we are Christians, would get left behind when the Rapture comes in the time of tribulation. If we get left behind it will be 150 times worse than what it is now. There will be torture, famine, death... and terror and more terror and hopelessness. We may face beheading cause they'll behead us if we refuse to take the mark of the beast or torture us in different ways.. These things are coming. But if we surrender our life to God and yield to him and maintain personal relationship with him then we'll get Raptured when the time comes. So that we don't have to face terror and torture. When the tribulation comes the demons will dominate in our bodies at maximum capacity. People will go insane and become like demons. They will kill each other, doing horrible things...even eating people, taking guts out, you can't imagine what things could happen because demons will literally control people... people won't be able to control themselves because the demonic power is so strong.... unless they call on the name of Jesus and ask for help. He is the only one who can come rescue us from demonic attacks and deadly trap we run into... Better come to God now and start working. Don't wait till the last minute it'll get very very hard. I saw a vision of meat factory where they process cow meat, but instead of cow meat it will be human meat. I saw all human guts on totes being carried on conveyors and collected into large tank (about the size of 100 cubic feet or so) where they go through meat processing. I saw this vision in daylight in aerial view.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
At least come to God and repent. Receive his forgiveness and salvation. You don't have to face exact same suffering like I have in order to get saved. It can be 10 times easier... it all depends on how close you want to be to God.

The problem is if we get far away from God, though we are Christians, would get left behind when the Rapture comes in the time of tribulation. If we get left behind it will be 150 times worse than what it is now. There will be torture, famine, death... and terror and more terror and hopelessness. We may face beheading cause they'll behead us if we refuse to take the mark of the beast or torture us in different ways.. These things are coming. But if we surrender our life to God and yield to him and maintain personal relationship with him then we'll get Raptured when the time comes. So that we don't have to face terror and torture. When the tribulation comes the demons will dominate in our bodies at maximum capacity. People will go insane and become like demons. They will kill each other, doing horrible things...even eating people, taking guts out, you can't imagine what things could happen because demons will literally control people... people won't be able to control themselves because the demonic power is so strong.... unless they call on the name of Jesus and ask for help. He is the only one who can come rescue us from demonic attacks and deadly trap we run into... Better come to God now and start working. Don't wait till the last minute it'll get very very hard. I saw a vision of meat factory where they process cow meat, but instead of cow meat it will be human meat. I saw all human guts on totes being carried on conveyors and collected into large tank (about the size of 100 cubic feet or so) where they go through meat processing. I saw this vision in daylight in aerial view.
As a Christian, I've got to say your not doing is any favors. I definitely think you need to discuss your views with a pastor or priest.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Moved from Home & Garden. It is difficult to find an appropriate forum; OT will have to do. IF you think the OP is a troll posting in bad faith, please pass this thread by. IF you think the OP has emotional/mental problems that cannot be addressed here, please ALSO pass this thread by. IF you have offered good faith advice and feel the OP has not heard you, there is no need to post again, is there?

Perknose
Forum Director

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Wouldn't it be even worse decision if I decide to stay in my apartment? I fear that I will get destroyed financially (I'm already destroyed) and the apartment complex will probably sue me cause I won't be able to pay rent. What professional advice would I get? from whom? How is that going to solve my problems? Do I even have money to hire a professional to give me advice when I know it's not going to work? The corporate of this apartment complex is the most ruthless and merciless I have ever seen.. I ended up paying twice the amount of rent for the last 2- 3 months because they keep adding huge fines every week.
There are church-affiliated counseling services that have rates based on your income, I know someone who attends counseling through Lutheran Family Services, and they pay $3 per session.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Wait, you have a car, with payments? That is the absolute worst financial decision anyone can make unless you have lot of disposable income. Trade it in for a used car and pay cash with whatever money they'll give you. Take the money that would go towards the car payments, and put it towards rent.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Wait, you have a car, with payments? That is the absolute worst financial decision anyone can make unless you have lot of disposable income. Trade it in for a used car and pay cash with whatever money they'll give you. Take the money that would go towards the car payments, and put it towards rent.
He's already behind in car payments, I give it pretty much zero chance that he can trade it in without also paying more on top.
As far as "absolute worst financial decision", no, he's already got that beat by pulling cash from his credit card.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I do not think your plan is good. However, since you seem determined to go through with it...
Build a structure in a random place and someone can randomly tear it down when they feel like it. Ask anyone in the local homeless encampments. If you're that broke just sell everything of value and keep valuables on your persons at all times. That's what being homeless is all about.
This suggests to me that you need a structure you can move. Which leads me to bike trailers:

https://weburbanist.com/2012/10/15/bike-campers-12-mini-mobile-homes-for-nomadic-cyclists/
https://web.archive.org/web/20181016205049/https://www.elkinsdiy.com/plans/ (This guy claims to sell plans for his constructions, but his site is down.)

That does make it more likely to get stolen, but maybe you can find a secure place to stash it during the day?

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
There are church-affiliated counseling services that have rates based on your income, I know someone who attends counseling through Lutheran Family Services, and they pay $3 per session.
I don't think it would do a thing to solve my problem because my problem is with God. He is the one giving me hard time. Only if he gives me a break then I would rest.. but he hasn't given me any break nor vacation to get my bills and rent caught up. I'm also mentally weak now, much weaker than 3 years ago. I was strong like ox back then, not anymore... cause I see more truth.

My car is '07 Lexus IS350 currently has 160k miles on it and I still owe about $5000.. And I'm gonna be behind by a month on that one. I had to use my credit card to withdrawal money to pay my rent and car payment and late fees.

My car has a huge crack on the windshield.. The front right wheel is damaged and tire blown out. My rear right brake caliper is shot. That rotor is carved because the brake pads got burned off and it has been scrubbing metal to metal. My dash has a huge crack too. I would be in worse debt if I try to sell the car... and I don't know how my bank taking repossession on my car will work out cause of all the damage listed above. What if they bill me with bunch of things?? What do I do?? Fix my car by spending $$$$ and then have bank repo it? What... Anyways, Jesus very strongly emphasized to me not to get rid of my car. I was going to fix my bicycle to go to work but Jesus said "NOOOOOO".

He's already behind in car payments, I give it pretty much zero chance that he can trade it in without also paying more on top.
As far as "absolute worst financial decision", no, he's already got that beat by pulling cash from his credit card.
You nailed it. Perfectly explained.

Last edited:

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
I do not think your plan is good. However, since you seem determined to go through with it...

This suggests to me that you need a structure you can move. Which leads me to bike trailers:

https://weburbanist.com/2012/10/15/bike-campers-12-mini-mobile-homes-for-nomadic-cyclists/
https://web.archive.org/web/20181016205049/https://www.elkinsdiy.com/plans/ (This guy claims to sell plans for his constructions, but his site is down.)

That does make it more likely to get stolen, but maybe you can find a secure place to stash it during the day?
That looks humiliating... I don't want that. That wouldn't work for me cause where I'm going to have my tent setup is located is in the hill.. It's very steep and can't ride bicycle to get up there I would have to carry bike with me. There is no good place for me to station anywhere with a mobile shed like that around here.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I'm good, bro. I got baptized and confirmed in the ~4th grade. Had my fun with the hot church girls in the springtime of my youth, base my life decisions on observable, empirical evidence, I don't have demons chasing me, and I'm rather OK. I think I'm on the correct path, whichever one of those things are related to the other.

You do you, though. It might mean you have to shit in a dirt hole for the rest of your life, but apparently that's what your god wants? Hey, if it makes you happy.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hey Cheeze, maybe you have already covered this or already tried this, so, apologies if this is a dumb idea ... but ...

Have you considered serving in a Monastery?

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Hey Cheeze, maybe you have already covered this or already tried this, so, apologies if this is a dumb idea ... but ...

Have you considered serving in a Monastery?
Many people already gave me that suggestion sorry that would not resolve my problems... Besides there's no monestery that I know of around here nor would I fit there.

Feb 25, 2011
Building your own ramshackle cabin is the easiest part of living off the grid. If you've got a job you have cash flow. If you hate your job, you can get a different job.

Sleep in your car and shower at the Y until you can pay off your debt and get a new apartment. It sucks but people do it all the time.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Many people already gave me that suggestion sorry that would not resolve my problems... Besides there's no monestery that I know of around here nor would I fit there.
Aye, sorry then.

On top of a hill sounds nice, shouldn't have to deal with flooding or issues of that nature. I'm sure you know you want to be on somewhat flat/level land so your shelter doesn't slide off in a storm.

Trees/woods are great to help protect from wind, but, then there is always risk with wind and branches ....

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Building your own ramshackle cabin is the easiest part of living off the grid. If you've got a job you have cash flow. If you hate your job, you can get a different job.

Sleep in your car and shower at the Y until you can pay off your debt and get a new apartment. It sucks but people do it all the time.
Thanks. I have a cat, and need a tent to sleep in.. I will get a heavy duty tent for myself, and use a secondary cheap tent to store my clothes and blankets and other misc stuff..

Aye, sorry then.

On top of a hill sounds nice, shouldn't have to deal with flooding or issues of that nature. I'm sure you know you want to be on somewhat flat/level land so your shelter doesn't slide off in a storm.

Trees/woods are great to help protect from wind, but, then there is always risk with wind and branches ....
Yeah it's at high elevation, there are lots of trees close together.. and the spot I found is great for a tent. I will install a tarp over the tent for extra protection for debris, rain, etc.. I just hope my parents don't disconnect my phone internet... so that I still get access to the web.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Sounds like you already dug yourself way too deep financially. The minute you were remotely close to falling behind on a payment with no way in sight to pay it, you should have acted. Never let yourself fall behind on any payment as it will just spiral downhill from there.

It's like those people who only think short term and use those cash advance services but have no way of paying it back. You can only do that for so long.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Sounds like you already dug yourself way too deep financially. The minute you were remotely close to falling behind on a payment with no way in sight to pay it, you should have acted. Never let yourself fall behind on any payment as it will just spiral downhill from there.

It's like those people who only think short term and use those cash advance services but have no way of paying it back. You can only do that for so long.
Those cash assistance places rip you off a big time... I saw a rate for borrowing $40 they wanted 385% interest rate, and then there is additional processing fee on top of that. At least my Discover credit card is superior... they treat me nicely and interest rate has been 15.9% and cash advance rate is 22%...

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000

At least the bank that financed my car has been willing to work with me and have been very patient with me trying to get caught up with the payments. They didn't even charge me late fees or any penalties...Zero dollars. Even my electric and credit card companies are pretty lenient with me. They charge me very small late fees... But unfortunately the way things are going I won't be able to pay my electric bill. I'm already behind by two months. They will disconnect electricity in my apartment on May 20 unless I make large sum of payment. Plus I've been driving around without the insurance cause they canceled my insurance a month ago..

I already told you in another thread. You need to see your equivalent of jobs and family services. That is if its not called the same thing in your area. They hook you up with different programs that you would qualify for like food stamps, sec 8 or excel and a bunch of others.

Just stay in the apartment as long as you can once they put an eviction note on your door you still got a few months before the bailiff shows up to throw you out. If your planning on going into the woods anyway getting sued doesn't matter. Even you end up getting a free place thru sec 8 or something it still won't matter. For someone that can't hold a job more than a week even if they get a judgement they'll never be able to collect because they won't have time to garnish your wages. Which you rally should try to stay at a job so don't let that stop you they'll just take a little out of your check every week, they can't take it all. The same thing applies to the credit cards and the car once its repoed so I'd probably stop paying both those first and pay my rent and power bill as long as I could.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
I already told you in another thread. You need to see your equivalent of jobs and family services. That is if its not called the same thing in your area. They hook you up with different programs that you would qualify for like food stamps, sec 8 or excel and a bunch of others.

Just stay in the apartment as long as you can once they put an eviction note on your door you still got a few months before the bailiff shows up to throw you out. If your planning on going into the woods anyway getting sued doesn't matter. Even you end up getting a free place thru sec 8 or something it still won't matter. For someone that can't hold a job more than a week even if they get a judgement they'll never be able to collect because they won't have time to garnish your wages. Which you rally should try to stay at a job so don't let that stop you they'll just take a little out of your check every week, they can't take it all. The same thing applies to the credit cards and the car once its repoed so I'd probably stop paying both those first and pay my rent and power bill as long as I could.
I heard from the apartment office mentioning about reporting or submitting to court for not paying the rent on time... sounds very cruel, ruthless, and merciless to me. That's why I fear I go to jail if that happens? I want to get out of my apartment as soon as possible. The lease expires on July 20. Tomorrow I'm going to go cancel the renewal...so I can get out. I want to get out of the apartment even sooner than that cause I can't pay the rent... I'll probably get late again and charge me huge fines.

I'm a bit concerned if it will affect my background if I don't pay bills at all. They gonna sue me or hand over to the collectors agencies. Wouldn't this cause problems me getting a job when the employer does a background check on me?

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Didja' ever think... maybe THAT'S what God is trying to teach you through all of this?

Mr. I Own A Lexus, but wouldn't be caught dead with a bike trailer.
The Lexus is 12 yrs old... I didn't buy the car new it was used and had very high miles on it. I don't want this car... why don't you buy my car? and give me $2200 so I can go buy a used car paid off...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.