NE governors discuss plan to re-open

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
An organized plan? Who needs that when you can have the metrics in your head. /S

This is responsible governing. Developing a strategy and plan to reopen is exactly what needs to be done from a government perspective. That doesn't mean reopening will happen now. It just means when it happens, this is what we'll do. At least the states seem to understand this. If only there were some large, overarching entity to coordinate these efforts on a national basis. Hmmmm...

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm glad they are starting planning now that it seems the possibility of it spiraling totally out of control in the northeast has abated. (instead it only spiraled modestly out of control) I think the most important thing we will need in order to reopen the economy somewhat safely is widespread testing, which, insanely, we still don't have, and an effective antibody test, which we kind of have. (unfortunately high rate of false positives) Once we have those two we can reasonably identify who can go back to work in relative safety and we can catch new outbreaks before they spread too far.

This is going to be really hard and I'm sure some places will have to be locked down again at some point but it's good they are trying to plan it out as much as possible ahead of time.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
An organized plan? Who needs that when you can have the metrics in your head. /S

This is responsible governing. Developing a strategy and plan to reopen is exactly what needs to be done from a government perspective. That doesn't mean reopening will happen now. It just means when it happens, this is what we'll do. At least the states seem to understand this. If only there were some large, overarching entity to coordinate these efforts on a national basis. Hmmmm...

This is going to be a big problem - because the federal government has basically collapsed in its response or is actively harming state efforts coordination is going to be very difficult because states can't force their neighbors to act responsibly. I suspect we will end up with a bunch of cases where irresponsible states start seeding new infections into their neighbors and that's going to be a nightmare.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Looks like the NE states are talking about a plan to start re-opening. This will obviously be a step by step process, but the talks are starting on how to do this.

This is on CNN as well.

The main things are to wait until it's actually safe to do, to implement contact tracing and have very widely available tests. We need to know how many (if any) people are still infected and where before we open the floodgates.

My concern is that some states (mainly southern ones like Texas) may take a come-hell-or-high-water approach where they set an arbitrary date.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Connecticut already shut down everything until May 22nd, so I'm curious if Lamont might backpedal a bit if the states around him do so as well.

Considering that we border NYC (the current plague capital of the entire freakin planet), I somehow doubt it.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Looks like the NE states are talking about a plan to start re-opening. This will obviously be a step by step process, but the talks are starting on how to do this.

This is on CNN as well.

I can see how Cuomo's comments are going to start triggering false info on conservative sites.

He is basically trying to get neighboring states to States to get in the mindset of coordinating planning.
Basically....state borders are bullshit in the eyes of pandemics and that planning should be a coordinated effort.
Can't have New Jersey opening up the flood gates if NY is still seeing a high number of cases or the same with Connecticut and Mass.
Since planning is the toughest part and they need to start establishing protocols, procedures etc etc, now is a good time as ever to start "the conversation".

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
If only there were some sort of governing body that could help coordinate interstate activity and planning.
Shame no one ever thought about that....

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Sure, governor's discuss what to do. I just didn't realize that Delaware, Pennsylvania, or Jersey were considered northeast, I guess it makes sense tho

Since NYC so close to all of it, I'm guessing this will be a slow and steady response, with little regard for what the feds want. The feds made it clear they take no responsibility.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
People are talking about a plan to reopen the economy as though the issue was that governments have shut things down, and if they'd just be less draconian, more businesses could open up again. And the economy will magically be back to normal.

But that's largely not the case. Fear of infection shut things down, and state governments helped provide some structure over exactly how that shutdown would work. The economy is and will be seriously damaged, but it's not from the restrictions; it's from COVID-19. This virus had "economic disaster" written all over it from the very beginning. Especially how inept Trump and the Feds have proven to be.

For example...If governments lifted restrictions on bars and restaurants and movie theaters tomorrow, those businesses would most likely get just a trickle of customers.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Sure, governor's discuss what to do. I just didn't realize that Delaware, Pennsylvania, or Jersey were considered northeast, I guess it makes sense tho

Jersey is 100% northeast, yes. As someone who grew up in Philly, eastern Pennsylvania is also very much a northeastern state in both economy and culture. I remember when I first moved to NYC how much it reminded me of Philly in a lot of parts. The middle and west of Pennsylvania, not so much. Since Eastern PA has dominated the state for so long though, we dragged the rest of those Sheetz loving assholes with us. Wawa forever!

Delaware isn't usually considered part of the northeast from my experience. Really though, Delaware doesn't come up often enough in conversation to make figuring it out worthwhile.

Since NYC so close to all of it, I'm guessing this will be a slow and steady response, with little regard for what the feds want. The feds made it clear they take no responsibility.

Can anyone say with a straight face that they think if Trump were faced with a situation where a state would suffer but it would make him more likely to be re-elected that he wouldn't do the thing to help himself get re-elected?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
People are talking about a plan to reopen the economy as though the issue was that governments have shut things down, and if they'd just be less draconian, more businesses could open up again. And the economy will magically be back to normal.

But that's largely not the case. Fear of infection shut things down, and state governments helped provide some structure over exactly how that shutdown would work. The economy is and will be seriously damaged, but it's not from the restrictions; it's from COVID-19. This virus had "economic disaster" written all over it from the very beginning. Especially how inept Trump and the Feds have proven to be.

For example...If governments lifted restrictions on bars and restaurants and movie theaters tomorrow, those businesses would most likely get just a trickle of customers.

This is the thing the 'reopen the economy!' people don't understand - the public health emergency and the economy are really two parts of the same problem. If you stopped the closures tomorrow you would get SOME customers to those businesses, but tons would still stay away out of fear of infection so in the end you most likely get a ton more sick people and those places STILL go out of business.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
More states will probably join that group. Likely to be some metrics and a tiered system for doing this. Also possible that those states will help each other ramp testing to places that need it.

Word is the west coast (CA, WA, and OR) are discussing similar plans. They've already basically formed a shadow FEMA to get medical supplies and share them amongst themselves. Given how linked NV's economy is to the coast they'll probably follow along.

Ideally there would be another level of government to organize such a plan and muster the combined resources of the collected states effectively. However we clearly do not possess such a thing.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This is the thing the 'reopen the economy!' people don't understand - the public health emergency and the economy are really two parts of the same problem. If you stopped the closures tomorrow you would get SOME customers to those businesses, but tons would still stay away out of fear of infection so in the end you most likely get a ton more sick people and those places STILL go out of business.

Experience in China and all available polling does indicate this. Maybe you get 20-30-40% back relatively quick (weeks and a few months). The rest will take 6 months or more depending on events. Any way you cut it we are looking at a sustained economic downturn.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Jersey is 100% northeast, yes. As someone who grew up in Philly, eastern Pennsylvania is also very much a northeastern state in both economy and culture. I remember when I first moved to NYC how much it reminded me of Philly in a lot of parts. The middle and west of Pennsylvania, not so much. Since Eastern PA has dominated the state for so long though, we dragged the rest of those Sheetz loving assholes with us. Wawa forever!

Delaware isn't usually considered part of the northeast from my experience. Really though, Delaware doesn't come up often enough in conversation to make figuring it out worthwhile.

Can anyone say with a straight face that they think if Trump were faced with a situation where a state would suffer but it would make him more likely to be re-elected that he wouldn't do the thing to help himself get re-elected?
In my day, meaning elementary school geography, it was considered mid-Atlantic. Virginia where is grew up was on the cusp of being considered a southern stare or a mid-Atlantic state. Culturally, Jersey's NE and Virginia culturally is southern for the most part.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
In my day, meaning elementary school geography, it was considered mid-Atlantic. Virginia where is grew up was on the cusp of being considered a southern stare or a mid-Atlantic state. Culturally, Jersey's NE and Virginia culturally is southern for the most part.
It is considered mid-Atlantic, which combined with New England make up the northeast from a census perspective.

Really though, eastern PA is northeast and western PA is Midwest.

Reactions: TheVrolok

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
It is considered mid-Atlantic, which combined with New England make up the northeast from a census perspective.

Really though, eastern PA is northeast and western PA is Midwest.
I get ya. My ex father inlaw was from Reading and quite liberal. I guy who worked in my company was from somewhere in bumfk western Penn. Totally different views of the world.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Don’t be a jagoff.
7G3zITG.png

BLOW5do.png

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
The main things are to wait until it's actually safe to do, to implement contact tracing and have very widely available tests. We need to know how many (if any) people are still infected and where before we open the floodgates.

My concern is that some states (mainly southern ones like Texas) may take a come-hell-or-high-water approach where they set an arbitrary date.
Well in Texas’s case our local county judges have enormous powers when it comes to emergencies. While Governor Abbott might want to open the whole state if the judges that preside over Houston, Dallas, etc say we are closed we still stay closed, if I remember correctly.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Well in Texas’s case our local county judges have enormous powers when it comes to emergencies. While Governor Abbott might want to open the whole state if the judges that preside over Houston, Dallas, etc say we are closed we still stay closed, if I remember correctly.

This is my understanding.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I figured it would be a no brainer for my Gov, Oregon, and California Govs to form a coalition along the lines of what Cuomo et all were to do. It makes sense, unlike the actions of the fed.

I think other states will latch onto these efforts given the total lack of federal direction. Nevada almost certainly and possibly Arizona , New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah for the...I dunno what to call this maybe "Western Coalition".