NC Senate passes Fracking Law that Criminizales informing public of chemicals used

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
This is probably only my 2nd or 3rd ever P&N thread, so please be gentle. This is an issue that has finally pissed me off to the point where it looks like I will finally get involved.

Story:

The bill would lift a decades-old ban on horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing, allowing regulators to start issuing drilling permits on July 1, 2015.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...ll-that-would.html#.U33UBpDD_MI#storylink=cpy

The bill, dubbed The Energy Modernization Act, includes a host of sweeteners to entice energy companies to start drilling here next year, including a trade secret provision that would make North Carolina the only state where it’s a felony to disclose confidential ingredients used in fracking chemicals.

Transalation: STFU hippies! If you pass out leaflets to the public or post on your internet blogs any factual information about what we're doing, your ass is going to jail!

The Energy Modernization Act would prohibit local governments from passing ordinances that are perceived by the energy industry as a hindrance to shale gas exploration.

Transalation: Local cities and towns - STFU and stay out of way. You have no voice or any right to decide whether you want this in your town. STFU!

The absolute arrogance and hubris exhibited by the backers of the bill is enabled by the unlimited money in politics post Citizens United. These a-holes are beholden only to money, and they know the average working person is powerless to fight them. So STFU and get out of the way.

I am so dismayed by this. I saw it coming, but now that it's here, I don't even have the satisfaction of I told you so.

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
North Carolineans voted for these Senators. Maybe they don't want to know about what chemicals could be seeping into their water, and instead want to be happy about providing the country with cheap energy. Why do environmentalist need to spoil this story for them?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Transalation: Local cities and towns - STFU and stay out of way. You have no voice or any right to decide whether you want this in your town. STFU!

The absolute arrogance and hubris exhibited by the backers of the bill is enabled by the unlimited money in politics post Citizens United. These a-holes are beholden only to money, and they know the average working person is powerless to fight them. So STFU and get out of the way.

Translation: Who needs jobs and cheap energy when you can just have the government provide you with food, housing, birth control, and transportation for "free"!

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
What so unusual for company's wanting to protect proprietary information that they don't want their competitors to know?

I'm sorry but crap you pump into the ground shouldn't be considered confidential and protected from public view.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I like how the bill as written will strip local governments of the power to prohibit drilling within their jurisdictions. The GOP....party of small government*.

* Unless a gross over reach of power is useful to the industries writing them the checks then hey no problem.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
What so unusual for company's wanting to protect proprietary information that they don't want their competitors to know?
The moment your shit affects other people that haven't given consent to the effects, you lose the right to confidentiality.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally Posted by Londo_Jowo

The moment your shit affects other people that haven't given consent to the effects, you lose the right to confidentiality.

No surprise he supports the Oil Cabal as he works in the Industry and personally profits.

Pretty disgusting his open hate for America and Americans.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
I like how the bill as written will strip local governments of the power to prohibit drilling within their jurisdictions. The GOP....party of small government*.

* Unless a gross over reach of power is useful to the industries writing them the checks then hey no problem.

The bill, dubbed The Energy Modernization Act

Also gotta love how they make the names of these Nefarious laws sound like they are a good thing.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

So exactly how many layers of government should it be necessary to get permits from to run your business?

Seems to be the limiting that number is completely in agreement with small government. Hint, small government means less government. Not that each level of government down to the local neighborhood watch gets to try and stop you from operating your business.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
This is one bad law. Prime example of how money buys anything, politicians first and foremost. I is sad now... :\

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
So exactly how many layers of government should it be necessary to get permits from to run your business?

Seems to be the limiting that number is completely in agreement with small government. Hint, small government means less government. Not that each level of government down to the local neighborhood watch gets to try and stop you from operating your business.

It is in the interest of local governments to have a say over uses that have deleterious impacts (and I'll venture a claim that most people agree). If I bought enough downtown property in downtown Charlotte and decided to put in a rendering plant or a coal powered smelter should I be allowed to do so in spite of the impact I would have on the environment, property values, public health, etc....just because I am a business and its what I want?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Except that conservatism is all about local control of government. Unsurprisingly, you support government at the lowest level only so long as it does what you want.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
What will you do personally as far as getting "involved"?

Were you hoping I'd go eco-turrist?

I am trying to decide. Probably write some letters, join local anti fracking groups, voice my opinion in open govt forums.

You know, the same completely ineffective crap everyone else does.

We lost the war already. This is just further evidence / fallout from the sale of this country.

Not to worry. Like these pro fracking dickhead politicians, I am old. I won't feel most of the pain. My kids though - they're screwed.

Jaepheth

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2006
So what happens if someone in Japan posts the NC fracking ingredients on a Canadian board and then someone in Kansas reads that post and mails a printout of the ingredients to a friend in NC?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So what happens if someone in Japan posts the NC fracking ingredients on a Canadian board and then someone in Kansas reads that post and mails a printout of the ingredients to a friend in NC?
Everyone is executed.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
It is in the interest of local governments to have a say over uses that have deleterious impacts (and I'll venture a claim that most people agree). If I bought enough downtown property in downtown Charlotte and decided to put in a rendering plant or a coal powered smelter should I be allowed to do so in spite of the impact I would have on the environment, property values, public health, etc....just because I am a business and its what I want?

Did I say that?

No. I suggested that not needing to get permission from 15 layers of government was in keeping with smaller government.

Never said you shouldn't be required to get permission from ANY level of government.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Except that conservatism is all about local control of government. Unsurprisingly, you support government at the lowest level only so long as it does what you want.

Please point out where conservatives have said that every issue of government should be decided by the local neighborhood watch?

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004

It was the democrat controlled state legislature before them that outlawed local municipalities from setting up their own ISP/content provider... After millions of dollars from Time Warner, Comcast, AT&T, etc flowed into their wallets.

Is either party worse than the other? Doubtful.