National parks to be closed if GOP succeeds in shutting down the government :(

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Since the FAA is a federal agency, does that mean that federal air traffic controllers won't be going to work during a government shutdown, effectively grounding all flights?

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
GOP would have filibustered it.
They did filibuster it. Reid tried to pass the Omnibus Bill last December. This was after the House already passed it.

EDIT: The House passed a CR that would have funded the government through FY2011.

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
They did filibuster it. Reid tried to pass the Omnibus Bill last December. This was after the House already passed it.

Yep, back then GOP could play obstructionism with no negative consequences. Now, they are going to get whacked over the head for it if they don't get a budget passed by tomorrow.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Since the FAA is a federal agency, does that mean that federal air traffic controllers won't be going to work during a government shutdown, effectively grounding all flights?

no. They will be reporting to work. Only about 800k of the 2.2 million fed working will be affected if the budget is not passed.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
They deserve to close those crooks. Last time about a year ago I loaded up the family and rolled into Grand Canyon and they wanted like $50. I'll bet they'll lose money off those usurious admission fees which I thought tax payers kept open for all Americans to enjoy, not just people who happened to have $50 on them.

In general I was pretty pissed considering I pay about 14K every quarter in taxes and receive nothing.

Last edited:

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Ryan is proposing $4T in cuts at a time the country is on a brink of a double dip recession.
Skipping meals to avoid debt when you are already malnourished is not good financial planning, it's stupidity that will land you in a hospital or worse.

So cutting spening is bad for the economy right now but raising taxes is?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001

EDIT: The House passed a CR that would have funded the government through FY2011.

but why not pass a budget?

Its 6 freaking months AFTER the thing was supposed to be passed and now everyone is worried.

Shut the whole thing down and lets start from scratch.

PeshakJang

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2010

You mean in December... after the Democrats got raped in the election, and tried to pass a ridiculous budget that completely ignored every suggestion made by the president's own deficit committee?

Why did they wait until December? Their JOB was to pass a budget prior to the start of the FY, which was well before the election.

Maybe it is because they hoped they would maintain or grow their majority, and be able to pass any spending bill they wanted, without opposition. Maybe they feared that if they tried to pass such a bill, with a monumental deficit, PRIOR to the election, they would have been destroyed even more than they were.

Dems failed to do their job. They failed to work in the best interests of the country. The people voted to reflect this.

Elections have consequences... remember that saying?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
SadO__shutdownYellowstone.jpg

comptr6

Feb 22, 2011
These right wingers don't understand basic economics. They think it helps the economy when you lay people off.

No wonder they support outsourcing and union busting so vehemently. They believe workers are a drain on the economy, sapping success and economic prosperity from the long suffering conservative Captains of Industry.

Every dollar spent employing someone in the federal government is wasted and would be better spent in the form of aid to Israel as they spend it on planes, weapons, vehicles etc. made in the US which creates real jobs.

matt0611

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2010
Bond interest rates don't lie. Govt can borrow record sums at near zero interest because there is a lot of money on the sidelines chasing safety over risk.

They actually can lie. I've seen numbers that the Fed is buying up to 70% of our federal bonds that are issued via printing.

matt0611

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2010
Cut spending...cut spending...balance the budget....no deficit spending....blah blah blah....except when the repubs are in control of the government.

If you want proof, then you obviously failed history 101.

What about in the 90s versus clinton?

I'll freely admit that the republicans under GWB was a complete disaster though.

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Heard on KQED today that people who have been waiting for years to get permits to raft down the great Canyon may not get to if GOP succeeds in shutting down the government :(

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Heard on KQED today that people who have been waiting for years to get permits to raft down the great Canyon may not get to if GOP succeeds in shutting down the government :(

Oh the horrors we live in this nation!

Matt915

Banned
Feb 7, 2011

Aw, that's too bad :(. If the GOP does the right thing and prevents the Democrats from being even bigger free-spending colossal jack-asses it looks like a lot of people aren't going to get their chance to go rafting.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Aw, that's too bad :(. If the GOP does the right thing and prevents the Democrats from being even bigger free-spending colossal jack-asses it looks like a lot of people aren't going to get their chance to go rafting.

Yeah, too bad for the GOP. Do you think independents are going to care more whether GOP cuts $39B or $31B from budget, or whether they get their tax refund on time and can go on vacation to a national park? Money talks, BS walks.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Yeah, too bad for the GOP. Do you think independents are going to care more whether GOP cuts $39B or $31B from budget, or whether they get their tax refund on time and can go on vacation to a national park? Money talks, BS walks.

I bet they will be pissed about that delayed tax refund and not being able to go to a national park. I think Obama should use imagery of the Griswalds like family piling into the family truckster heading to the Grand Canyon. Only to have their govt check bounce and the Grand Canyon be closed.

matt0611

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2010
So the house passed a 1 week continuing resolution that funds the military throughout the rest of the year that cuts 11 billion. The President has already threatened to veto it.

I'm starting to think Obama wants a shutdown.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
So the house passed a 1 week continuing resolution that funds the military throughout the rest of the year that cuts 11 billion. The President has already threatened to veto it.

We are not going to be funding the government one week at a time. GOP will need to do their job and fund it for the rest of the year, or take responsibility for the shutdown.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I think its more like that they already did small extensions in exchange for cuts twice, and those extensions haven't yielded any agreement.

I'm quite sure that the Republicans would have been happy to take this extension and then do the exact same thing again next week. I mean, wouldn't you? They get more of what they want while agreeing to fund something they didn't want to cut anyway. They give up nothing and get a bunch of what they want.

matt0611

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2010
We are not going to be funding the government one week at a time. GOP will need to do their job and fund it for the rest of the year, or take responsibility for the shutdown.

Its better than shutting it down...
It will also make sure that the military gets paid in a timely fashion even if we do eventually shut the government down.
Surely you wouldn't want that to happen would you?

Its still unbelievable to me that we are fighting over 1% of the budget.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Its better than shutting it down...
It will also make sure that the military gets paid in a timely fashion even if we do eventually shut the government down.
Surely you wouldn't want that to happen would you?

Its still unbelievable to me that we are fighting over 1% of the budget.

Coming from someone who spent seven years in the military, they don't deserve their paychecks any more than any other employee. Ensuring just military people get paid is crap, and it only happens because of this weird military fetish that America has.