National parks to be closed if GOP succeeds in shutting down the government :(

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

matt0611

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2010
Coming from someone who spent seven years in the military, they don't deserve their paychecks any more than any other employee. Ensuring just military people get paid is crap, and it only happens because of this weird military fetish that America has.

I'm for doing this for anyone who has to show up.
The people in the military HAVE to keep showing up by law.
The military protects our country from foreign enemies, its kinda important and good to have around lol.

For the government employees that get to go home then its not as bad IMO.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Its better than shutting it down...

It IS shutting it down. This bill has no chance of passing, and is simply a CYA exercise of an irresponsible GOP House which failed to do their job.
It will also make sure that the military gets paid in a timely fashion even if we do eventually shut the government down.
Surely you wouldn't want that to happen would you?
Its still unbelievable to me that we are fighting over 1% of the budget.

GOP can make sure military gets paid in a timely fashion by passing a budget they agreed to pass, instead of moving the goal posts. The ball is in their court. Obama has compromised, now it's their turn to take yes for an answer.

matt0611

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2010
It IS shutting it down. This bill has no chance of passing, and is simply a CYA exercise of an irresponsible GOP House which failed to do their job.

GOP can make sure military gets paid in a timely fashion by passing a budget they agreed to pass, instead of moving the goal posts. The ball is in their court. Obama has compromised, now it's their turn to take yes for an answer.

The house did their job and passed a budget over a month ago.

The democrat senate, house, and president neglected to pass a budget last year when they had full control of the government. talk about failing to do their job...

At this point I think the republicans should just give in over this 1% though because it means about zip in the long run.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The house did their job and passed a budget over a month ago.
Passing a hopeless bill is not doing their job. House's job is to fund the government.
The democrat senate, house, and president neglected to pass a budget last year when they had full control of the government. talk about failing to do their job...
GOP filibustered it. They want the government shutdown.

matt0611

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2010
Passing a hopeless bill is not doing their job. House's job is to fund the government.

GOP filibustered it. They want the government shutdown.

That bill was also hopeless to pass.
They should have got their act together and made a bill that would pass.

You blame the republicans for refusing to pass the bill that they disagreed with when they were the minority.
Now that the republicans passed a budget and the democrats are refusing to sigh it you again blame them.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
That bill was also hopeless to pass.
They should have got their act together and made a bill that would pass.

You blame the republicans for refusing to pass the bill that they disagreed with when they were the minority.
Now that the republicans passed a budget and the democrats are refusing to sigh it you again blame them.

It's the House's job to fund the government. If they are passing political bills that have no chance of becoming law, they aren't doing their jobs. Boehner is out there saying there is no daylight between him and the tea-partiers demanding a shutdown, so the blame for shutdown is squarely on the Republicans.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm for doing this for anyone who has to show up.
The people in the military HAVE to keep showing up by law.
The military protects our country from foreign enemies, its kinda important and good to have around lol.

For the government employees that get to go home then its not as bad IMO.

The military will be around no matter what happens with this, you can't get out of your enlistment due to a government shutdown. (hell, even if you could the government has the right to impress you into service)

The people who don't have to show up to work won't get paid for that time, essential people will get back pay for their time. That's how it works.

matt0611

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2010
It's the House's job to fund the government. If they are passing political bills that have no chance of becoming law, they aren't doing their jobs. Boehner is out there saying there is no daylight between him and the tea-partiers demanding a shutdown, so the blame for shutdown is squarely on the Republicans.

I would agree, as long as you can admit that the democrat house last year also failed to produce a reasonable budget that could pass the senate. :)

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I think its more like that they already did small extensions in exchange for cuts twice, and those extensions haven't yielded any agreement.

I'm quite sure that the Republicans would have been happy to take this extension and then do the exact same thing again next week. I mean, wouldn't you? They get more of what they want while agreeing to fund something they didn't want to cut anyway. They give up nothing and get a bunch of what they want.

At this rate I expect the 2011 budget to be completed in this fashion. They will fund themselves on a weekly basis until the end, or Democrats cave and enact those "draconian" 30 billion dollar cuts on a 3.5 trillion dollar budget.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The sad thing this budget period started last October 1st and the budget should have been approved and passed BEFORE then.

This morning's paper said military personnel will get IOUs instead of their pay.

And yes, the national parks will get shut down. The last time the government got shut down I had a friend walking the Appalachian Trail. When he got to the Skyline Drive, they had rangers at the beginning of the park barring everyone from entering-even walkers like himself.

The GOP proposal for an additional extension funds the Pentagon for the remaining six months with no cuts at all. What person serious about deficit reduction can ignore the vast amount of waste at the Pentagon?

It seems to me that the teabaggers are driven to destroy this country so they can say I told you so.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I would agree, as long as you can admit that the democrat house last year also failed to produce a reasonable budget that could pass the senate. :)

Sure, if by senate you mean a Republican filibuster, but that is not why we are shutting down now.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
At this rate I expect the 2011 budget to be completed in this fashion. They will fund themselves on a weekly basis until the end, or Democrats cave and enact those "draconian" 30 billion dollar cuts on a 3.5 trillion dollar budget.

You do realize that those cuts come basically only from domestic discretionary spending, which is about $600 billion, and only out of the remainder of the fiscal year, which is half over, right? (ie: only around $300 billion left to spend)

Yes, a 10% across the board cut is a pretty significant cut, especially when considering how funding was appropriated the first half of the year, giving agencies little time to plan.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
You do realize that those cuts come basically only from domestic discretionary spending, which is about $600 billion, and only out of the remainder of the fiscal year, which is half over, right? (ie: only around $300 billion left to spend)

Yes, a 10% across the board cut is a pretty significant cut, especially when considering how funding was appropriated the first half of the year, giving agencies little time to plan.

You can paint it however you like. I look at a complete budget when talking about a budget. This proposal is a fart in the wind and a preview of what we can expect in years to come when there simply isnt enough money to go around and real cuts have to be made.

Both parties are looking silly. Republicans imo should just pass this crap and draw their line in the 2012 budget.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You can paint it however you like. I look at a complete budget when talking about a budget. This proposal is a fart in the wind and a preview of what we can expect in years to come when there simply isnt enough money to go around and real cuts have to be made.

Both parties are looking silly. Republicans imo should just pass this crap and draw their line in the 2012 budget.

But I'm not trying to paint it. I don't agree with deficit reduction at all right now, but if we were to do such a thing we should be addressing the entire budget, not slashing an area that comprises 18% of it. If we are just looking at that area, these cuts ARE significant. If we were talking a full budget/full year cut of similar magnitude it would be equal to $350 billion.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
If Republicans are bent on shutting down the government, where there is a will there is a way.

Apparently it doesnt take much to shut down a govt these days. Scare a super majority into not passing a budget then try to force cuts when it comes time to pass the bill and have the party holding the other chamber and executive branch cry foul.

matt0611

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2010

Agreed. The republicans should just give into the democrats here.
Its obvious that they will not do anything to reduce spending in a meaningful way and until the 2012 elections theres no hope to reduce spending.

Sooner or later the house of cards will begin to topple, one way or another we are going to see real meaningful cuts weather the democrats or republicans like them or not. Better to do it now in a planned fashion than wait but I don't think thats gonna happen.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
You can demagogue it all you want. GOP is going all in on a losing hand. Tea party is yelling "shut it", Boehner is saying there is no daylight between GOP leadership and Tea Party. GOP wanted to be responsible for funding the government, they got it, they will be held responsible for doing (or not doing) it.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
But I'm not trying to paint it. I don't agree with deficit reduction at all right now, but if we were to do such a thing we should be addressing the entire budget, not slashing an area that comprises 18% of it. If we are just looking at that area, these cuts ARE significant. If we were talking a full budget/full year cut of similar magnitude it would be equal to $350 billion.

That would be a nice start. And I understand you dont believe in deficit reduction and actually want us to borrow and spend more money. We have to agree to disagree on that point.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
It's not about deficit reduction, it's about GOP ideology on abortion and environment.
If it was about deficit reduction, Democrats already agreed to the $30B in cuts that GOP asked for.

Aug 23, 2000
Sure it is. The Democrats already accepted $33 billion in cuts, which incidentally was the exact number of Boehner's starting offer before he decided to increase it.

Hmmm, now that I think about this I'm not sure why I'm responding to you like you're a real person. You're either paid to put out these opinions or you're one of the stupidest people alive, either way what I write isn't likely to make a dent.

Where were the Democrats last year when they were supposed to make a budget?
Oh, doing nothing but spending more money we don't have.

It seems more and more like the Dems knew they were going to loose the elections and punted as much as the could, so now they can make the GOP seem like the bad guy. The idiots fall for these ploys, the educated can see what is really going on. Democrats will do and have proven that they will lie, cheat, steal, con, and screw every American over so they can have some kind of power.

Anyway you look at it. Our political and leadership system is broken. There needs to be a way to remove everyone from political office, bar them from serving again, and start all over with new faces and impliment 2 term limits on all offices. Do away with political parties, as evident here, people will parrot what a party says, even if they don't know what it means. But that is their party, so they defend it.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
You can demagogue it all you want. GOP is going all in on a losing hand. Tea party is yelling "shut it", Boehner is saying there is no daylight between GOP leadership and Tea Party. GOP wanted to be responsible for funding the government, they got it, they will be held responsible for doing (or not doing) it.

Sounds to me like they are funding it but the democrats dont like their funding. So the Republicans did their job and democrats have an option to go with their numbers or reject it. If democrats reject it the shut down is also on them.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Sounds to me like they are funding it but the democrats dont like their funding. So the Republicans did their job and democrats have an option to go with their numbers or reject it. If democrats reject it the shut down is also on them.

Good luck convincing the independents of this. That they should forgo their tax refunds and vacation plans because GOP is throwing another tantrum on abortion.