My wife wants me to cut down a 5 year old maple tree

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Amused
If you reject myths and mysticism, you reject all of it. Not just some.

Yes, as a scientist I reject all forms of mysticism and religion, but that does not mean that those systems have not produced any useful knowledge in the past - just that we don't need them to produce any new knowledge in the future. We have better systems now.

Example - ancient people ate willow bark for headaches. They had no scientific evidence that it helped. Thousands of years later, asprin is derived form willow bark, and is taken for headaches.

Full of sh1t?

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
If there was any way to measure the "Chi" or "Life Force Energy" they're claiming to direct, they'd win a Nobel Prize for physics. But to their credit, I bet none of the big-ticket Feng Shui "artists" believe it either - they're too busy swimming in bathtubs full of cash from people who drank the Kool-Aid.

I don't believe in chi either, but I used to do some martial arts, Tai Chi Chuan, Chi Gung, and I can't deny that by using these theories the practitioners of these arts can do amazing things.

Perhaps they got it wrong about chi, but they still accomplished something. Or perhaps they didn't get it wrong and we just can't measure it yet... it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Atheus
Then what _do_ you need? No education at all perhaps? In my experience the less education someone has, the more sure they are in their beliefs...

Maybe an IQ somewhere above an artichoke? If there was any way to measure the "Chi" or "Life Force Energy" they're claiming to direct, they'd win a Nobel Prize for physics. But to their credit, I bet none of the big-ticket Feng Shui "artists" believe it either - they're too busy swimming in bathtubs full of cash from people who drank the Kool-Aid.

I have nothing against the "artists" themselves - in fact, I fully endorse separating fools and their money.

Originally posted by: glutenberg
Ignorance is bliss, truly.

You must be orgasmic.

- M4H

I guess we'll have to be in ecstasy together then.

Like I said, traditional feng shui practitioners are not rich. It's the ones that brought it to the US that are rolling in cash because they promise ridiculous things like wealth just from furniture arrangement. But, this topic is pretty much done. If you're too lazy to even study the traditional intent of feng shui, then there's nothing to debate other then the fact that ATOT posters are typically inclined to spout the same horseshit that they preach against.

Jan 31, 2002

Pass.

Like I said, traditional feng shui practitioners are not rich. It's the ones that brought it to the US that are rolling in cash because they promise ridiculous things like wealth just from furniture arrangement. But, this topic is pretty much done. If you're too lazy to even study the traditional intent of feng shui, then there's nothing to debate other then the fact that ATOT posters are typically inclined to spout the same horseshit that they preach against.

When did I ever say that my basis for calling a spade a spade (Feng Shui = Horseshit) was based on the Westernized "Rearranging Furniture for Fun and Profit"? In fact, I believe I said the opposite:

If there was any way to measure the "Chi" or "Life Force Energy" they're claiming to direct, they'd win a Nobel Prize for physics.

But I mean, hey, if you've got some concrete scientific evidence showing that Feng Shui can give any tangible benefits that aren't statistically insignificant, please go ahead.

- M4H

andrewWynn

Feb 15, 2007
It's a silver maple tree. I'll find a picture of it.

There's not a CUT date yet but it'll be coming sometime in the spring unless I can convince her that it's not a good idea due to reasons like shades, energy savings in the summer (west-facing), killing a tree is against my belief. But the transplant idea has merit if the negotiations doesn't work out.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

AW

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004

Pass.

When did I ever say that my basis for calling a spade a spade (Feng Shui = Horseshit) was based on the Westernized "Rearranging Furniture for Fun and Profit"? In fact, I believe I said the opposite:

If there was any way to measure the "Chi" or "Life Force Energy" they're claiming to direct, they'd win a Nobel Prize for physics.

But I mean, hey, if you've got some concrete scientific evidence showing that Feng Shui can give any tangible benefits that aren't statistically insignificant, please go ahead.

- M4H

So, what you're saying is that because we don't have a current way of measuring Chi, therefore, it must not exist? Guess you'll be joining me after all.

Also, a better understanding of Qi is looking at the electricity and warmth that a body can generate. As studies continue, there'll be more scientific explanations for Qi just like all scientific studies.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: andrewWynn
It's a silver maple tree. I'll find a picture of it.

There's not a CUT date yet but it'll be coming sometime in the spring unless I can convince her that it's not a good idea due to reasons like shades, energy savings in the summer (west-facing), killing a tree is against my belief. But the transplant idea has merit if the negotiations doesn't work out.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

AW
It is a Silver Maple? Feng Shui or not, cut that POS down (barring a home owners association or local ordinance that may not let you). Silver Maples are the second worst tree you can own. The first is a Bradford pear. While a Silver Maple does grow fast, it will break in storms AND it will send out millions of little maples everywhere.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: amicold
Your wife needs common sense. Feng Shui = garbage
But it is a Silver Maple. Maybe his wife is trying to be non-confrontational and using Feng Shui as an excuse to get rid of a tree she knows is carp ;)

Keep the wife... :p

Jan 31, 2002
So, what you're saying is that because we don't have a current way of measuring Chi, therefore, it must not exist? Guess you'll be joining me after all.
if you've got some concrete scientific evidence showing that Feng Shui can give any tangible benefits that aren't statistically insignificant, please go ahead.
That clear enough?
Also, a better understanding of Qi is looking at the electricity and warmth that a body can generate. As studies continue, there'll be more scientific explanations for Qi just like all scientific studies.
Humans are warm-blooded exothermic life forms. Next.
Originally posted by: 50cent1228
i hate that fen shui shh*t b/c of that i had to change the whole look of my room
I hear the distant crack of a whip somewhere.

- M4H

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
Originally posted by: gsellis
It is a Silver Maple? Feng Shui or not, cut that POS down.
Agreed. My grandparents had two of those in the back yard. They were a huge pain in the ass to keep under control.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
if you've got some concrete scientific evidence showing that Feng Shui can give any tangible benefits that aren't statistically insignificant, please go ahead.
That clear enough?
Originally posted by: 50cent1228
i hate that fen shui shh*t b/c of that i had to change the whole look of my room
I hear the distant crack of a whip somewhere.

- M4H

Like I said, the scientific approach to Qi has only just started. Did you expect people to make a breakthrough overnight?

Dr. Yan Xin (??), a doctor of both Western and Chinese medicine as well as founder of the relatively popular Yan Xin Qigong school, suggests that in order for qigong to be accepted by the modern world it must pass the test of scientific study. Without such studies, Yan maintains that qigong will be dismissed as "superstition" (see "Criticism of Qigong" chapter below). In the mid-1980s he and others began systematic study of qigong in some research institutions in China and U.S. More than 20 papers [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] have been published. Taijiquan, a martial art based on the principles of internal qigong, appears to be a potent intervention to prevent falls in elders, maintain joint mobility, and improve balance.

Article 1

Article 2

Like I said, the research is being done and it's not going to happen overnight. If all of their tests come back negative, then sure, I'll admit I was wrong. I don't see how you can call something bullshit without at least studying it. Just because something isn't tangible does not mean it does not exist. There are plenty of scientific principles that were accepted and then tossed out as development continued.

LEDominator

May 31, 2006
My wife wants me to cut down a 5 year old maple tree in our front yard.

The tree is about 20 feet tall, 5 yrs old. It's about 20 feet in front of my front door. She's been reading some article about Feng Shui and doing this will bring more 'light and energy' into the house.

My issue is that this is taking away the 'life' of this beautiful tree.

Any Feng Shui expert here who can shed some light on this issue?

Thanks.
Andrew

Isn't Feng Shui the way things are ordered INSIDE a house?

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Amused
I feel the same way about all myth systems, yes. Especially when modern day people blindly believe in them.

The bible contains many grains of truth. Why aren't you Christian or defending Christianity in threads?

OOPS!

If you reject myths and mysticism, you reject all of it. Not just some.
And here you are blindly rejecting it. Just because it's a pseudoscience doesn't mean you can't learn anything useful from it. And yes M4H, it *is* a pseudoscience. Anything that isn't based on the Scientific Method but claims to be scientific is pseudoscience. Whether or not it's pure bullshit isn't part of the definition.

I've read the Bible many times. I'm not a religious person and I can't call myself a Christian even though I was raised one. I just don't believe a lot of that stuff. That doesn't mean I didn't learn anything from reading it, or the Koran or any other "fairy in the sky" type books.

Just because I reject the why doesn't mean I reject the information.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Tell her to return the book ASAP.
There was a California lawmaker wanting building code to follow feng shui....what a moron.
Cutting down a tree? GTFO.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: LEDominator

The tree is about 20 feet tall, 5 yrs old. It's about 20 feet in front of my front door. She's been reading some article about Feng Shui and doing this will bring more 'light and energy' into the house.

Thanks.
Andrew

Feng Shui is just meant to create balance around you. It doesn't have to be just things inside your house. It's in regards to how well balanced you are with your environment.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006

Thanks.
Andrew

Feng Shui is just meant to create balance around you. It doesn't have to be just things inside your house. It's in regards to how well balanced you are with your environment.

damn, you are uptight about feng shuey. Does that philosophy teach you to calm the hell down about people criticizing it?

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: foghorn67

Thanks.
Andrew

damn, you are uptight about feng shuey. Does that philosophy teach you to calm the hell down about people criticizing it?

I haven't been upset about anything and none of my posts reflect that. I'm merely trying to have a debate with those that think they know everything but aren't even willing to spend the minimal effort into understanding what a practice is about and not just what they hear in the news or on TV. You can criticize it all you want but I can also defend the principals all I want.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006

Thanks.
Andrew

I haven't been upset about anything and none of my posts reflect that. I'm merely trying to have a debate with those that think they know everything but aren't even willing to spend the minimal effort into understanding what a practice is about and not just what they hear in the news or on TV. You can criticize it all you want but I can also defend the principals all I want.

You sound angry to me. Are you okay?

Jan 31, 2002
Like I said, the scientific approach to Qi has only just started. Did you expect people to make a breakthrough overnight?

I expect more than smoke and mirrors.

Wow, a 35-page report on supposed changes in water structure and the half-life of a radioactive isotope. Call me when you reach "Hadoken."

- M4H

Jan 31, 2002

Thanks.
Andrew

You sound angry to me. Are you okay?

Maybe he needs to Feng Shui his bathroom, he sounds constipated.

That or he just needs more fiber in his diet.

- M4H