My wife wants me to cut down a 5 year old maple tree

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: CKent
Cut it down if you want to be walked all over for the rest of your life. Such is the price of being a tool.

Fixed.

No pussy is worth losing your self respect. NEVER let a woman control your life. NEVER accept an ultimatum from a woman. Once you do, you will be walked all over for as long as the marriage lasts.

I'd love to agree, and if your woman has a healthy libido then :beer::thumbsup:. But I think she's in the minority on that and you're just lucky. <awaits the jokes about my small pecker and terrible performance> No, I'm not about to get trapped into marriage :cool:

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Cut it down if you want to be walked all over for the rest of your life. Such is the price of being a tool.

Fixed.

No pussy is worth losing your self respect. NEVER let a woman control your life. NEVER accept an ultimatum from a woman. Once you do, you will be walked all over for as long as the marriage lasts.

I'd love to agree, and if your woman has a healthy libido then :beer::thumbsup:. But I think she's in the minority on that and you're just lucky. <awaits the jokes about my small pecker and terrible performance> No, I'm not about to get trapped into marriage :cool:

You know what creates a healthy libido in a woman? Being a man.

You know what kills a healthy libido in a woman? Being a wishy washy little pussy.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

Fixed.

You know what kills a healthy libido in a woman? Being a wishy washy little pussy.

Forgive me if I have more faith in research linking libido to testosterone.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005

The big question here is this:

Why are you not laughing in her face for believing in something as stupid as Feng Shui in the first place?

Because laughing in someone's face is extremely rude?

Originally posted by: Kyteland
Feng Shui id not a load of crap. It is a pseudoscience

But it's not trying to be science... how can it be pseudoscience?...

I think it's more like ergonomics and interior design than anything else.

I still wouldn't cut down the tree.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Fixed.

Forgive me if I have more faith in research linking libido to testosterone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/health/4790313.stm

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Atheus

Why are you not laughing in her face for believing in something as stupid as Feng Shui in the first place?

And that's about all people who believe in nonsense deserve.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001

Fixed.

Why the hell are you getting all worked up over this. THe OP hasn't even responded with his second post to the site let alone this thread.

He said his wife wants to cut down the tree, nothing about an ultimatum or anything like that. In this case, maybe the op is a pvssy and is going to do something against his wishes but sometimes letting the other person get there way might involve compromise. Always standing up and being a "man" is more like being a baby in my mind.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005

And that's about all people who believe in nonsense deserve.

They don't deserve... y'know... a reasonable debate?

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Aye, got to love the Western mental thought process. I will hate it before even taking efforts to understanding what it is and then I'll make it factual by spouting it louder than anyone else, thus making it more true.

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
No, I'm saying it's a crock.

It's not a "science." It's not even a "pseudoscience." It's a load of crap.

- M4H
No, the stuff people are using to try to sell books is a load of crap. There's a lot of good, common sense stuff laid out in Feng Shui. I listed a number of them above. We mostly don't have to worry about that stuff anymore because we have sewers, cemeteries, building codes and the like which lay it all our better than Feng Shui ever could.

500 years ago these were all very good rules of thumb to go by.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

- M4H
No, the stuff people are using to try to sell books is a load of crap. There's a lot of good, common sense stuff laid out in Feng Shui. I listed a number of them above. We mostly don't have to worry about that stuff anymore because we have sewers, cemeteries, building codes and the like which lay it all our better than Feng Shui ever could.

Just because a myth system has some good ideas in it doesn't make it any less a bunch of nonsense.

Jan 31, 2002

- M4H

Just because a myth system has some good ideas in it doesn't make it any less a bunch of nonsense.

See also "Religion" ;)

- M4H

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

Fixed.

Why the hell are you getting all worked up over this. THe OP hasn't even responded with his second post to the site let alone this thread.

He said his wife wants to cut down the tree, nothing about an ultimatum or anything like that. In this case, maybe the op is a pvssy and is going to do something against his wishes but sometimes letting the other person get there way might involve compromise. Always standing up and being a "man" is more like being a baby in my mind.

I am responding to this:

Cut it down if you ever want to get some nookie again. Such is the price of being married.

Thanks for playing, but you missed the point entirely.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: glutenberg
Aye, got to love the Western mental thought process. I will hate it before even taking efforts to understanding what it is and then I'll make it factual by spouting it louder than anyone else, thus making it more true.

I don't need a Ph.D to recognize the smell of horseshit.

- M4H

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004

Usually I agree with you Amused but in this case, how much of this "myth" system have you actually studied? I'm not talking about the Barnes and Nobles, Borders, etc. fad books. I'm talking about at the very minimum reading translated Chinese texts that are used commonly in Asia when studying this subject. Is it just the mentality of people to hate on things that they are too lazy to even try to understand?

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004

- M4H

Ignorance is bliss, truly.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005

- M4H

Then what _do_ you need? No education at all perhaps? In my experience the less education someone has, the more sure they are in their beliefs...

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Usually I agree with you Amused but in this case, how much of this "myth" system have you actually studied? I'm not talking about the Barnes and Nobles, Borders, etc. fad books. I'm talking about at the very minimum reading translated Chinese texts that are used commonly in Asia when studying this subject. Is it just the mentality of people to hate on things that they are too lazy to even try to understand?

Enough to know it is ancient mysticism and full of sh!t. Modern repackaging of it is irrelevant. It was bullsh!t from the beginning.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Enough to know it is ancient mysticism and full of sh!t. Modern repackaging of it is irrelevant. It was bullsh!t from the beginning.

So dismissive... do you have something against the Chinese? Or do you feel the same way about all ancient knowledge systems? I hope you know it is very rare to find such systems which do not contain at least a grain of truth, and often there is much more.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

So dismissive... do you have something against the Chinese? Or do you feel the same way about all ancient knowledge systems? I hope you know it is very rare to find such systems which do not contain at least a grain of truth, and often there is much more.

I feel the same way about all myth systems, yes. Especially when modern day people blindly believe in them.

The bible contains many grains of truth. Why aren't you Christian or defending Christianity in threads?

OOPS!

If you reject myths and mysticism, you reject all of it. Not just some.

Jan 31, 2002
Then what _do_ you need? No education at all perhaps? In my experience the less education someone has, the more sure they are in their beliefs...

Maybe an IQ somewhere above an artichoke? If there was any way to measure the "Chi" or "Life Force Energy" they're claiming to direct, they'd win a Nobel Prize for physics. But to their credit, I bet none of the big-ticket Feng Shui "artists" believe it either - they're too busy swimming in bathtubs full of cash from people who drank the Kool-Aid.

I have nothing against the "artists" themselves - in fact, I fully endorse separating fools and their money.

Ignorance is bliss, truly.

You must be orgasmic.

- M4H