my results with a uric acid supplement

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I am currently on a Very Low Calorie (VLC) doctor supervised diet.
https://www.optifast.com/

One of the side effects of a high protein diet is elevated uric acid levels. I have been on two of these diets now in the last 5 years, and each doctor did regular blood work including uric acid.
The first diet was ~5 years ago.
Initial value = 7.7
during the program = 6.6 and 6.5

This diet initial value = 7.7
during the program = 8.3 and 8.4
This is flagged as a high level, > 8.0
The doctor prescribed a round of colchicine, the traditional uric acid reducing medication, after the first result. As we can see, it did not help. One of the side effects of colchicine is gastric upset or diarrhea after the 2nd pill, and I had no side effects whatsoever.
After that second result, I ordered a supplement with good reviews from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W5K185L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After 10 days of this supplement, my lab results were 7.2 !!

High uric acid levels have been connected with higher mortality.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5590638/#:~:text=Hyperuricemia was associated with 39,1.19; P <0.001).

It also has negative effects for those of us with arthritis.
It is not just about the gout :)
The recommended therapeutic level for gout patients is < 6.0
I will update this thread as I get more results.

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
There's really a lot of "hmmmm" here, but I'll just say that colchicine simply does not lower uric acid levels. It doesn't. If this doctor told you it does, you may want to question his other advice.

Not to mention its probably not lowering your uric acid that matters (unless you're specifically treating something like gout), it's probably treating/managing whatever underlying condition is contributing to uric acid elevations.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
7 Health Benefits of Acacia Fiber + Is It Keto? - Perfect Keto

This study, however, showed that acacia could also decrease blood pressure, increase calcium clearance, and decreased plasma phosphate and urea concentrations. In addition, the mice experienced increased urinary flow rate and reduced proteinuria.

Uric acid concentration in blood is directly related to levels of urea so Acacia fiber may be helpful in reducing your uric acid levels.

Reactions: Nicholas17Dominic

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
There's really a lot of "hmmmm" here, but I'll just say that colchicine simply does not lower uric acid levels. It doesn't. If this doctor told you it does, you may want to question his other advice.

Not to mention its probably not lowering your uric acid that matters (unless you're specifically treating something like gout), it's probably treating/managing whatever underlying condition is contributing to uric acid elevations.
exactly.
This is probably NOT going to be my family physician going forward after this diet. She will help me with this diet and also administer my DOT Physical for my commercial driver's license later next month, and help me with my DOT physical for pilot too. In the olden days you would fill out two sets of forms and be done with both on the same day, but that ship sailed a decade or two ago.

it's probably treating/managing whatever underlying condition is contributing to uric acid elevations.
At this point I don't care how or why my uric acid went down, and I also know that causation and correlation are not to be conflated here.
If this supplement goes hand in hand with decreased uric acid. while on a diet that typically increases it, I am down for that.
The potential side effects of these dietary supplements look to be less harsh than the proper uric acid reducing prescription, Allopurinol

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Allopurinol

Allopurinol is a pretty well tolerated medication, pretty rare adverse effects. Certainly I'd say some additional screening prior to starting it for certain Asian ethnicities and African Americans, but otherwise it's a safe drug - perhaps more safe than OTC supplements that are simply not evaluated as rigorously.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Good to know. I'll be on this diet awhile and probably skating near the high end of the range. I did not know how harmful it is, in general.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I know this is an old thread, but I developed a bit of gout last year. When it forst happened, I thought I had broken a bone in my metatarsals...could barely walk. Had xrays...nope. Urgent care doc said he could find nothing wrong..."Maybe gout?" Sent me home with a streoid of some kind...it gradually stopped hurting. Had a couple more flareups...toughed it out...then finally found some "uric acid support" capsules on Amazon:
Combined with tart cherry juice, (gawd that stuff is hard to drink) the gout attacks got fewer and farther between, weren't as severe, and lasted a much shorter time.

Fast forward to now...overnight, my ankle started hurting like a mofo. Every bit as painful as when I sprained it almost 30 years ago. I can barely walk with crutches. My PCP had prescribed allopurinol for me...but, being the "big brained individual" I am...I didn't start taking it. (not too fond of the expected side effects) This morning, I took the first dose. (I fckn HATE taking pills)

For anyone who has never experienced gout...count yourself lucky. This stuff can be hella painful.

Jul 27, 2020
This stuff can be hella painful.
Coz the uric acid crystals are pointy and keep piercing whatever they are in contact with. And then inflammation happens and that compounds the issue. I've read that eating bananas helps. Are you eating too much of something that could cause your uric acid levels to rise? Things to avoid eating too much of include spinach, tomatoes, dark chocolate and nuts. And obviously, animal meat if you tend to eat a lot of it without enough veggies.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I know this is an old thread, but I developed a bit of gout last year. When it forst happened, I thought I had broken a bone in my metatarsals...could barely walk. Had xrays...nope. Urgent care doc said he could find nothing wrong..."Maybe gout?" Sent me home with a streoid of some kind...it gradually stopped hurting. Had a couple more flareups...toughed it out...then finally found some "uric acid support" capsules on Amazon:
Combined with tart cherry juice, (gawd that stuff is hard to drink) the gout attacks got fewer and farther between, weren't as severe, and lasted a much shorter time.

Fast forward to now...overnight, my ankle started hurting like a mofo. Every bit as painful as when I sprained it almost 30 years ago. I can barely walk with crutches. My PCP had prescribed allopurinol for me...but, being the "big brained individual" I am...I didn't start taking it. (not too fond of the expected side effects) This morning, I took the first dose. (I fckn HATE taking pills)

For anyone who has never experienced gout...count yourself lucky. This stuff can be hella painful.
I have taken Allopurinol for Kidney stones for 30 years. No side effects. No Kidney stones since then either, and hopefully I will never develop gout as an added benefit.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Coz the uric acid crystals are pointy and keep piercing whatever they are in contact with. And then inflammation happens and that compounds the issue. I've read that eating bananas helps. Are you eating too much of something that could cause your uric acid levels to rise? Things to avoid eating too much of include spinach, tomatoes, dark chocolate and nuts. And obviously, animal meat if you tend to eat a lot of it without enough veggies.

Sonce this happened last year, I've stopped drinking any kind of alcohol, greatly reduced the amount of sweetened drinks, cut back on beef and pork, (gawd I HATE chicken...which has become a main staple) and eliminated all seafood.
I have taken Allopurinol for Kidney stones for 30 years. No side effects. No Kidney stones since then either, and hopefully I will never develop gout as an added benefit.
That's great.

Jul 27, 2020
gawd I HATE chicken
Too much chicken could still be a problem. I don't think seafood is too much risk, unless it is laden with heavy metals from polluted waters. Maybe get your breakfast protein from oats or eggs (one is enough), chicken for lunch and eat a veggie dinner (research shows that eating animal protein for dinner decreases life expectancy. Sadly can't find the link for that but it makes sense. Saturated fat build up during night when the body is resting can't be a good thing).

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Too much chicken could still be a problem. I don't think seafood is too much risk, unless it is laden with heavy metals from polluted waters. Maybe get your breakfast protein from oats or eggs (one is enough), chicken for lunch and eat a veggie dinner (research shows that eating animal protein for dinner decreases life expectancy. Sadly can't find the link for that but it makes sense. Saturated fat build up during night when the body is resting can't be a good thing).

Seafood (depending on a number of factors) can be one of the biggest causes of gout.

Jul 27, 2020
Try this: https://arthurandrew.com/products/neprinol

It helps the blood flow better, reducing inflammation and helping the body clear away the bad deposits of crappy stuff in the blood vessels. For $55, I don't think you will be disappointed. Just take it once in the morning, 3 capsules. See how you feel. The first two or three days, you will FEEL the crap leaving your body when you answer nature's call. I KID YOU NOT!

It makes your blood thinner so don't take it with aspirin or another blood thinner.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012

It helps the blood flow better, reducing inflammation and helping the body clear away the bad deposits of crappy stuff in the blood vessels. For $55, I don't think you will be disappointed. Just take it once in the morning, 3 capsules. See how you feel. The first two or three days, you will FEEL the crap leaving your body when you answer nature's call. I KID YOU NOT!

It makes your blood thinner so don't take it with aspirin or another blood thinner.
Or he could just take the Allopurinol and eat whatever he feels like. It's worked for me. Much cheaper than that crap as well.

These supplements have no evidence of doing anything, it's a scam.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

I think I'll pass for now. Not really a fan of supplements as a whole. Too many unproven claims, not enough actual scientific evidence that they do what they claim...and nearly NONE have had any studies by the US FDA or other regulatory agencies.
I've been taking the Herbal Uric Acid Cleanse and Detox for about 3 months...maybe 4. I honestly can't say they've done anything for me, but I THINK they've helped reduce the frequency, severity, and length of the gout attacks.

Or he could just take the Allopurinol and eat whatever he feels like. It's worked for me. Much cheaper than that crap as well.

These supplements have no evidence of doing anything, it's a scam.
Scam may be a bit harsh, but I agree that none have been properly or formally tested...so any "benefits" may just be anecdotal rather than clinical.

Jul 27, 2020
One of my friends with MS cannot function without Neprinol. It keeps the MS attacks away, despite NOT being made specifically for MS. That's why I suggested it. It improves the body's own self cleaning mechanisms by eating away the crud stuck in places with poor blood flow. Enzymes work.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I think I'll pass for now. Not really a fan of supplements as a whole. Too many unproven claims, not enough actual scientific evidence that they do what they claim...and nearly NONE have had any studies by the US FDA or other regulatory agencies.
I've been taking the Herbal Uric Acid Cleanse and Detox for about 3 months...maybe 4. I honestly can't say they've done anything for me, but I THINK they've helped reduce the frequency, severity, and length of the gout attacks.

Scam may be a bit harsh, but I agree that none have been properly or formally tested...so any "benefits" may just be anecdotal rather than clinical.
By any chance is your birth name David? Legend has it that Gout is an affliction of kings. Or is your first name one of the many names of previous kings?

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
It has been found that certain supplements can block inflammation, reduce levels of uric acid, and boost one's immune system, despite the fact that there is no magic pill for gout. Gout symptoms can be eased by adding supplements to your overall care plan.

If only we had a link to some website peddling these 'magic' supplements.......