my results with a uric acid supplement

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I am currently on a Very Low Calorie (VLC) doctor supervised diet.
https://www.optifast.com/

One of the side effects of a high protein diet is elevated uric acid levels. I have been on two of these diets now in the last 5 years, and each doctor did regular blood work including uric acid.
The first diet was ~5 years ago.
Initial value = 7.7
during the program = 6.6 and 6.5

This diet initial value = 7.7
during the program = 8.3 and 8.4
This is flagged as a high level, > 8.0
The doctor prescribed a round of colchicine, the traditional uric acid reducing medication, after the first result. As we can see, it did not help. One of the side effects of colchicine is gastric upset or diarrhea after the 2nd pill, and I had no side effects whatsoever.
After that second result, I ordered a supplement with good reviews from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W5K185L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After 10 days of this supplement, my lab results were 7.2 !!

High uric acid levels have been connected with higher mortality.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5590638/#:~:text=Hyperuricemia was associated with 39,1.19; P <0.001).

It also has negative effects for those of us with arthritis.
It is not just about the gout :)
The recommended therapeutic level for gout patients is < 6.0
I will update this thread as I get more results.

Last edited:
Reactions: igor_kavinski

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
There's really a lot of "hmmmm" here, but I'll just say that colchicine simply does not lower uric acid levels. It doesn't. If this doctor told you it does, you may want to question his other advice.

Not to mention its probably not lowering your uric acid that matters (unless you're specifically treating something like gout), it's probably treating/managing whatever underlying condition is contributing to uric acid elevations.

Last edited:
Reactions: skyking

igor_kavinski

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2020
7 Health Benefits of Acacia Fiber + Is It Keto? - Perfect Keto

This study, however, showed that acacia could also decrease blood pressure, increase calcium clearance, and decreased plasma phosphate and urea concentrations. In addition, the mice experienced increased urinary flow rate and reduced proteinuria.
Uric acid concentration in blood is directly related to levels of urea so Acacia fiber may be helpful in reducing your uric acid levels.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
There's really a lot of "hmmmm" here, but I'll just say that colchicine simply does not lower uric acid levels. It doesn't. If this doctor told you it does, you may want to question his other advice.

Not to mention its probably not lowering your uric acid that matters (unless you're specifically treating something like gout), it's probably treating/managing whatever underlying condition is contributing to uric acid elevations.
exactly.
This is probably NOT going to be my family physician going forward after this diet. She will help me with this diet and also administer my DOT Physical for my commercial driver's license later next month, and help me with my DOT physical for pilot too. In the olden days you would fill out two sets of forms and be done with both on the same day, but that ship sailed a decade or two ago.

it's probably treating/managing whatever underlying condition is contributing to uric acid elevations.
At this point I don't care how or why my uric acid went down, and I also know that causation and correlation are not to be conflated here.
If this supplement goes hand in hand with decreased uric acid. while on a diet that typically increases it, I am down for that.
The potential side effects of these dietary supplements look to be less harsh than the proper uric acid reducing prescription, Allopurinol

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Allopurinol
Allopurinol is a pretty well tolerated medication, pretty rare adverse effects. Certainly I'd say some additional screening prior to starting it for certain Asian ethnicities and African Americans, but otherwise it's a safe drug - perhaps more safe than OTC supplements that are simply not evaluated as rigorously.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Good to know. I'll be on this diet awhile and probably skating near the high end of the range. I did not know how harmful it is, in general.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Another blood draw and another lower uric acid result. Now it is lower than it was when I started the diet.

Hans Gruber

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2006
Try eating cherries and taking tart cherry pills. It's the only thing that works for my brother. He has infrequent but brutal gout attack once a year.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

ASK THE COMMUNITY