My internet is fast

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Mine is only at 4294 kbps down, 675 kbps up (ie 5MB/800kB minus the PPPoE overhead) but I decided to remain with Sympatico Ultra and keep my unlimited bandwidth rather than go for more speed with a cap.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I have 8/512. It sucks but it's almost 1000KBps. Also I max it on on Usenet so BLAHHHHHHHHH.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: intogamer
how are Comast pulling so fast speeds :(

They offer 20MB now or do they bump it in certain areas :(

No clue, I was formerly adelphia, and since comcast has taken over download speeds are much better.

They advertise mine at up to 4 (maybe 5 ) MB but I usually get higher than that. Anywhere from 5-20+.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: chrisg22

No clue, I was formerly adelphia, and since comcast has taken over download speeds are much better.

They advertise mine at up to 4 (maybe 5 ) MB but I usually get higher than that. Anywhere from 5-20+.

Here's a little hint: they don't. They have a timer set (now it appears on the upload in most areas as well) which has the name coined "power boost". What it does is temporarily lift the caps on the download/upload speeds briefly. This makes the speed tests look artificially high but the real sustained transfer is no different. :roll:

Try FTP'ing a 100MB file (either way) and watch your speeds drop back to the provisioned speeds (typically 6M/384k or 8M/768k in most areas depending on tier you purchased).

It's about as much of a gimmick as amplifiers rated in PMPO or listing specs based on dynamic output, etc. In the real world it means nothing.

But wow the speed tests look um Comcastic? :disgust:

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Rubycon

Here's a little hint: they don't. They have a timer set (now it appears on the upload in most areas as well) which has the name coined "power boost". What it does is temporarily lift the caps on the download/upload speeds briefly. This makes the speed tests look artificially high but the real sustained transfer is no different. :roll:

Try FTP'ing a 100MB file (either way) and watch your speeds drop back to the provisioned speeds (typically 6M/384k or 8M/768k in most areas depending on tier you purchased).

It's about as much of a gimmick as amplifiers rated in PMPO or listing specs based on dynamic output, etc. In the real world it means nothing.

But wow the speed tests look um Comcastic? :disgust:

I download files on a regular basis at 900-1000k/sec also

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005

If you have the gold tier the download speed is provisioned at 8.8 Mbps which will settle down to approximately 1.1 MB/S IF the host can supply it continuously.

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000
yep, what Rubycon said. i actually came back to confess and was already outed ;)

i don't know the actual numbers, but it seems like my speed cap is lifted for about the first 8 seconds of a transfer. for those first few seconds i get almost 30Mbps. after that, the cap kicks back in to what appears to be somewhere around 6Mbps. the two speed tests in this thread don't transfer enough data for the cap to have a significant effect on the test results.

still, if you're getting 30Mbps for eight seconds, that 30MB you just pulled in before the speed cap... assuming there's no bottlenecks between you and the other end.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Rubycon

If you have the gold tier the download speed is provisioned at 8.8 Mbps which will settle down to approximately 1.1 MB/S IF the host can supply it continuously.

Right now I only have the basic package. If I upgraded to their highest speed, would it help with online gaming? Would it even have a huge effect on my download speeds? My download speeds are fast enough for me I guess, but better online play would be nice.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
150KBps / 30KBps (practical speeds)

verizon dsl :(

FIOS is supposedly coming in 3Q.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
If I recall most online games don't really depend on connection speed as much as latency so upgrading service will do nothing for the experience. IF you are hosting a game a higher upload (continuous not powerboosted) will allow you to have more participants join in before the upstream gets saturated.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Download Speed: 8317 kbps (1039.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1039 kbps (129.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
ATT DSL 1.5 down, 256 up. The fastest I can have is 6 down, 512 up and no cable avaiable.