Announcement My home network is quite messed up ** UPDATE all fixed now ***

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kiska

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
If one of those ports are working. I would highly suggest a switch, you can find enterprise switches on ebay pretty easily and cheap.

Here is one I found:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
If one of those ports are working. I would highly suggest a switch, you can find enterprise switches on ebay pretty easily and cheap.

Here is one I found:
Thanks ! Thats $5 less than the 16 port I ordered, and I bet its a managed switch, thats all they use in enterprise.

I ordered one. I can return the Amazon one if this works. Free returns on prime. Right now most of my stuff is off of the 16 port switch. If I get that wireless access point, I can feed one cable to this switch and save a couple of those other access points.

Kiska

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
Thanks ! Thats $5 less than the 16 port I ordered, and I bet its a managed switch, thats all they use in enterprise.

I ordered one. I can return the Amazon one if this works. Free returns on prime. Right now most of my stuff is off of the 16 port switch. If I get that wireless access point, I can feed one cable to this switch and save a couple of those other access points.

Yeah doesn't hurt to shop around, especially if you know what you're looking for.

The listing I linked also has 1 year warranty which is surprising given these are used items and I expected a lot less(in terms of warranty, most do DOA and 30 days).

You might want to grab the serial cable given I think these switches come unconfigured and you'll need to do some configuration through serial

Although... I think it'll let you connect devices and they can all talk to each other. You just won't get VLANs etc etc without configuration

The cable is known as a Rollover cable, if you need to look for one

Markfw

May 16, 2002

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
[...]Buy five of these, set up AiMesh.
For that type of money, I'd call an electrician to fix the wiring under the house... ;)

If I understood Markfw correctly, he's looking for a temporary solution until his LAN is back up. If he were to redo his entire network, I wouldn't have suggested some cheap Wi-Fi AP or other consumer grade stuff but a lot of enterprise equipment. My solution aimed at keeping the entire LAN in place and all config unchanged until the uplinks can be fixed. Therefore, the disrupted uplinks would have been replaced with these Wi-Fi AP (by connecting them to the switches with ethernet cable, in client mode, effectively adding Wi-Fi capabilities to the switch). The advantage of going this route is the simplicity of bringing the LAN back up. No cable, no config had to be changed. You were just bypassing the defective switch uplinks. Now you just disconnect the Wi-Fi AP and plug in the new uplink cable (disconnecting first is important to avoid loops if you don't have a good switch with any form of STP activated). Done. No client will ever notice. Only the switches will have learned new MAC addresses (from the Wi-Fi AP, if they are smart switches). After switching these Wi-Fi AP back to AP mode, you could even reconnect them to the switches and try to improve your Wi-Fi (if that's important).

Reactions: Assimilator1

Markfw

May 16, 2002

Here is one I found:
So, the input to the switch is the MGMT baseT in the very upper right ?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, very early results.... I plugged ONE computer into the switch, and to what I thought was the bad line under the house. Its working. I will work on the rest of the config tomorrow, too tired tonight.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, all computers are online now, but I still have to configure them for the new network (BOINCTASKS access) and nail the wires to the walls. I am unable to put them under the house now with my disabilities, and 2 doors will have to remain open forever so the wire can go through.

BUT, they are running. Step one ! I know its silly to use a 48 port router to feed a 16 port router and 2 more cables, but the cable length is a problem and it works, and I am tired.

$300 and 12 hours of work so far

1613861402861.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Shmee

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
"And what I don't like, but no choice."

Nothing wrong with showing love for a hobby;)!

Upheaval IPA is tasty also...

Do you make your own cables?

Kiska

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
I would say don't have the switch right against the wall, since they need air to cool itself down.

1613876491697.png

This is way to close to the wall, an inch would make the unit cooler + won't randomly shutdown to protect itself against thermal issues, since I think the fan is on that side

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I would say don't have the switch right against the wall, since they need air to cool itself down.

View attachment 40059

This is way to close to the wall, an inch would make the unit cooler + won't randomly shutdown to protect itself against thermal issues, since I think the fan is on that side
You can't really see it, but its like 6 inches out.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, I have one problem left.... BIONCTASKS for ONE computer. The only one that is using wireless (I think the wire is bad) I have checks the remote_hosts file, and its right. The password in the rpc_gui_auth (or ewhatever, not sure I got that right) is correct, never changed from before.. Its just odd that the one wireless host can connect to BOINCTASKS, but it certainly is online, web works, etc.

Any ideas ?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Is the machine that isn't working running Windows or Linux?
linux. Its now hardwired AND wireless, and still works fine, except BOINCTASKS can't see it. I have tried both IP addresses.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Unfortunately I don't have any good ideas on that. My thought process on why I asked if it was Windows is that Windows will do weird things when it detects a network change such as switching it to a public network and blocking local network traffic, but that of course doesn't apply to Linux. Hopefully somebody else will chime in with some ideas to check.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Unfortunately I don't have any good ideas on that. My thought process on why I asked if it was Windows is that Windows will do weird things when it detects a network change such as switching it to a public network and blocking local network traffic, but that of course doesn't apply to Linux. Hopefully somebody else will chime in with some ideas to check.
Well, I did have to re-add a project, it lost everything somehow,. Maybe uninstall and re-install BOINC ?

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
That almost sounds like it's running from a different directory path(which would be like running a fresh BOINC install and not have any projects listed). When you've been checking the gui_rpc_auth.cfg and remote_hosts.cfg is that in /var/lib/boinc-client ? If so, I would reboot that machine and see what happens - that should start the default BOINC service in the default directory which should be /var/lib/boinc-client Also, do you have a port specified in BOINC Tasks for that machine or it's connecting on the default port?

Edit - you could also try uninstalling and reinstalling BOINC, that should start it all from scratch like a new install, but I'd at least try rebooting that machine first if you haven't already.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
That almost sounds like it's running from a different directory path(which would be like running a fresh BOINC install and not have any projects listed). When you've been checking the gui_rpc_auth.cfg and remote_hosts.cfg is that in /var/lib/boinc-client ? If so, I would reboot that machine and see what happens - that should start the default BOINC service in the default directory which should be /var/lib/boinc-client Also, do you have a port specified in BOINC Tasks for that machine or it's connecting on the default port?

Edit - you could also try uninstalling and reinstalling BOINC, that should start it all from scratch like a new install, but I'd at least try rebooting that machine first if you haven't already.
Yes, something is quite messed up. When I get a chance, I will remove boinc (how do you do that in linux ??)

and reinstall.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
If you're using Linux Mint (or Debian or Ubuntu), you can open a Linux terminal and type in the following command:

sudo apt remove boinc-client

Alternatively if you're in Linux Mint and prefer the GUI over command line you can go under the Linux Mint start menu (not sure if it's called a start menu?) --> Administration --> Synaptic Package Manager. Hit search at the top or top right corner, type in boinc, and then after it searches right click the boinc-client package and hit 'Mark for Complete Removal' and then hit apply.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
If you're using Linux Mint (or Debian or Ubuntu), you can open a Linux terminal and type in the following command:

sudo apt remove boinc-client

Alternatively if you're in Linux Mint and prefer the GUI over command line you can go under the Linux Mint start menu (not sure if it's called a start menu?) --> Administration --> Synaptic Package Manager. Hit search at the top or top right corner, type in boinc, and then after it searches right click the boinc-client package and hit 'Mark for Complete Removal' and then hit apply.
wouldn't I do

sudo apt remove boinc-client boinc-manager

to completely clean ????