My fellow AT'ers. Take a Look Inside..

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Since my announcement about joining the NVIDIA focus group, there have been concerns of a graphics and video moderator being associated with the group. The perception seems to be, that I can be in the focus group, or a graphics and video moderator, but not both. Why? Pre-conceived notions.

Members have suggested that I step down as graphics and video moderator, as it would eliminate any ?conflict of interest? stated in these pre-conceived notions. No actual conflict of interest exists, and there is no reason that I couldn't continue on effectively as a moderator. The focus group exists to allow us to provide feedback to NVIDIA and for NVIDIA to provide information to the community. It has nothing to do with sales or marketing in any way, and even less to do with anything that would impact my ability to impartially enforce the forum guidelines as a moderator.

But, in the interest of Anandtech and all it?s members, I will ask to be assigned to another forum besides graphics and video. I think it?s better for everyone, and will hopefully alleviate the concerns of our members. There are some here who wish to see harm come to this great forum. But I think we should steal their fuel away. This is how.

It was a lot to think about, and I really didn?t want to leave video as a mod after coming this far, but, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one. (Yes, I am quoting Spock and Shatner). Hey, they were right!

So, any comments are welcome.

Thanks everyone,

Keysplayr2003

Keys has announced his resignation. Some have taken this as an opportunity to create a flame fest. This will now stop.

Hayabusa Rider- Anandtech Sr. Moderator.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I say that you should have stayed mod. That's like saying that you can't be a Democrat or Republican and be moderator of P&N!?!? Bah to those that think that this wouldn't have worked. :thumbsdown:

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Those that were most upset about it were "fans" of the opposite company. It's a shame they let their "enthusiasm" for a particular company go so far as to attack a fellow member of the community.

It's actually ironic that they would accuse you of potential bias while wearing their own bias as a badge.

Good luck in your new section. Hopefully another mod can be found to balance BFG.

I nominate myself to replace you here.

Just kidding ;)

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
I think that it's a mistake for you to step down. You're not rollo. Everyone knows you're not rollo. You're never going to BE LIKE rollo. I don't know who these "members" are that have suggested that you step down, but how often do they post in here? Other than apoppin and (sometimes) myself, how many people do we have here who post a LOT and are strong amd fans? Nvidia is kicking amd's ass right now, and if we can get good, UNBIASED inside info from nvidia then I think that's a plus. If that good, unbiased info comes from a mod then all the better in my eyes. I realize that you're not planning to just leave the forum, but I'd like to think that as a mod you're likely to spend more time on this forum than you would as the mod for, say, "love and relationships". Don't leave all of us to rollo to get good insider info!

DerekWilson

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2003
Keys could have stayed a moderator in video (he is still a moderator, just not in here). AnandTech, me, and all the mods support the fact that this was Keys' decision to make.

I know that most of you know keys to be a fair mod and not only that, but one of the people that turned this place from a flame ridden wasteland into a place where people could really talk about graphics and video technology. He's done an amazing job as a moderator here as I'm sure he'll do where ever else we put him. BFG has some big shoes to fill :)

Despite the fact that there was no actual problem with keys continuing to moderate here, I am personally very impressed with his decision. It is one in a long line that show him to be a member of the highest character and someone who really shows his love for this place. He has decided to step aside in spite of the fact that no conflict exists in order to keep the very incorrect perception that AnandTech forums had been bought by NVIDIA from spreading. In the face of all the people who are wrong about this, keys has still put the integrity of the forums ahead of himself.

I'd like to share something with all of you ...

After keys first posted the thread about joining the NVIDIA focus group and saw the reaction of the membership and the trouble it started to cause here, he posted in the moderator forum that he was going to decline the invitation to the NVIDIA focus group. He said he'd rather do that than step down as a moderator.

Go ahead an read that again.

The mods and I convinced him that free hardware and inside info from NVIDIA were not something he should pass up, and that we would back him up all the way no matter what he wanted to do.

Rather than step down as a moderator, he's stepping sideways to alleviate the ill-founded concerns of members who can't dissociate rollo and AEG from the current program at NVIDIA. We all feel that this will have a positive impact on the public perception of the forums, and also that it is a shame to be loosing keys in video. Some times you just can't have your cake and eat it too ...

I'm an idealist, so its hard for me to be as positive as I want to about this. I feel that keys should have stayed a mod and allowed everyone's to see just how fair and evenhanded he could be. But this certainly shows the same thing: keys is an excellent and devoted member of the community who puts all of you (whether its right or wrong) above himself.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
derek, thanks for your input. I don't think that I'm alone in thinking that this still sucks big time. I wasn't aware that nvidia focus group members got free equipment, I thought that was a special "rollo deal". It's good to see that nvidia has offered their equipment to some people who can actually do some good for them in an honest and forthright way. If keys has to go can't you dump him in one of the crappy topics? Love and relationships or contests and sweepstakes would make him beg to come back here in no time!

keys, if you ignore us then I'll give all my salespeople your cell phone # and tell them that you're a DR Keysplayr who wants to buy 3 vipers... I actually did something similar to a real Dr friend of mine. He was "busy" working 110 hrs/week on his residency and decided that calling back his buddies wasn't a priority. Whatever. He called me back in 12 minutes and ALWAYS calls me back asap now.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: DerekWilson

The mods and I convinced him that free hardware and inside info from NVIDIA were not something he should pass up,
Hell I can't even pass up cheap hardware, let alone free.

Rather than step down as a moderator, he's stepping sideways to alleviate the ill-founded concerns of members who can't dissociate rollo and AEG from the current program at NVIDIA.

I have a feeling even without Rollo or AEG, some people take their "preferences" for a product a little too far. I freely admit I like one company over the other, but I would never want to make it personal, like many have done.

Either way, I don't want to turn this into another one of "those" threads.

It was very gracious of DW to say those things and I think Keys did a noble thing for the good of the community here.

Again good luck in CPU, although if rumors are true about NVIDIA making a CPU you may just have to MOD in the FS/FT section. :p

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do. That is life and all of us have had to make tough decisions at some points in our lives. This will be ok bryan. I'm certainly not leaving video as a member if that's what you're worried about. Just as a mod. Don't worry, BFG will keep things in line. ;)

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Very gutsy move, keys!

I am thoroughly impressed. Not that you wouldn't be able to do the mod's job here - of course you would, perhaps even better! (if that's possible ;) )

But in this world of politics and sensationalism, I do not think you would want that little shadow of a doubt over your reputation.

Good luck in your new (old?!?) role! :thumbsup:

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do. That is life and all of us have had to make tough decisions at some points in our lives. This will be ok bryan. I'm certainly not leaving video as a member if that's what you're worried about. Just as a mod. Don't worry, BFG will keep things in line. ;)

Well, as a former Video mod, i know life goes on and you are still a mod and you will continue to do well here and i wish you well. i know our debates over graphics probably aren't over. :p

i am certain you will really demonstrate to all of us what being a Focus Group member is really about - not the shady Viral crap we all suffered through.
--The thing i hate the most was how NASTY the malevolent campaign to cast unfounded and unwarranted doubt on you really was. i would hope that at least some of these participants are capable of feeling shame over this undeserved attack.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: apoppin
The thing i hate the most was how NASTY the malevolent campaign to cast unfounded and unwarranted doubt on you really was. i would hope that at least some of these participants are capable of shame.
I certainly hope I am not associated with any of that.

None of this was every in any way personal for me. I expressed my concerns regarding keys' ability to remain impartial while a member of the NV focus group. I was unaware that the AEG rules had been changed to remove the marketing element. I have the utmost respect for the work he has done as the video mod up until this point.

I know several other members have been quite upset over some threads that were deleted the other day...and AFAIK things got quite personal with some of them.

TBH I think all mods should be elected, and things like this should be decided by a poll. The fact that keys stepped down is testament to his dedication to our forums.

I've actually always thought that keys and apoppin should start up a hardware site of their own, focussed on GPUs.

DerekWilson

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2003
Originally posted by: SickBeast
I've actually always thought that keys and apoppin should start up a hardware site of their own, focussed on GPUs.

I think that'd be a cool site ... I'd read it :)

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

i am certain you will really demonstrate to all of us what being a Focus Group member is really about - not the shady Viral crap we all suffered through.
--The thing i hate the most was how NASTY the malevolent campaign to cast unfounded and unwarranted doubt on you really was. i would hope that at least some of these participants are capable of feeling shame over this undeserved attack.
You included a poll in your AMD vs NVIDIA thread singling out Focus Group Members and if they should even be allowed to post. The thread eventually devolved into another attack on Keys.
:thumbsdown:

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Originally posted by: DerekWilson

I think that'd be a cool site ... I'd read it :)

But what would happen if they were too busy to come here...? :(

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
The thing i hate the most was how NASTY the malevolent campaign to cast unfounded and unwarranted doubt on you really was. i would hope that at least some of these participants are capable of shame.
I certainly hope I am not associated with any of that.

None of this was every in any way personal for me. I expressed my concerns regarding keys' ability to remain impartial while a member of the NV focus group. I was unaware that the AEG rules had been changed to remove the marketing element. I have the utmost respect for the work he has done as the video mod up until this point.

I know several other members have been quite upset over some threads that were deleted the other day...and AFAIK things got quite personal with some of them.

TBH I think all mods should be elected, and things like this should be decided by a poll. The fact that keys stepped down is testament to his dedication to our forums.

Of course not, i know better than that. They know who they are :p

What a complement! Thank-you. Someone recognizes that Keys and I have a great deal of respect for each other despite our very different PoVs!

i have always supported Keys here - personally, behind the scenes, and in public - as mod and as a focus group member -
-very UNlike a certain past focus group member of the past who was the definition of Viral marketing.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
if you supported keys then you shouldn't have offered me his cell ph #...calling salespeople...hopefully mrs keys is out of town... ;)

obviously I have missed some fun these past few days. Sorry I wasn't there to offer up some free training on things like "integrity". I use the quotes because to many here that word is a joke. I know that I joke around a lot but I really feel that keys has helped turn video into a better place. My entire job involves reading people, whether it's online or in person. Video will be fine without keys and I know that bfg will do very well, but this entire sequence of events leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
as long as you didnt turn into another nrollo, i wouldnt have had any problems. every post he seems to make is so filled with so much nvidia bias

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
if you supported keys then you shouldn't have offered me his cell ph #...calling salespeople...hopefully mrs keys is out of town... ;)

come on now .. i didn't get any good offers from you .. so i know about your "story"

and and he IS looking for a Viper - soon .. give me your private cell phone number and i'll make sure he gets your message

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
We are behind you Keys. Your character, honesty and integrity is exemplary. The Video forum will miss your unbiased and ethical approach.

With that said, you have caused a problem, you may have set the bar too high ;)

One for you Keys :beer:

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: bryanW1995

come on now .. i didn't get any good offers from you .. so i know about your "story"

and and he IS looking for a Viper - soon .. give me your private cell phone number and i'll make sure he gets your message

sorry to take this off-topic, but we are one of the largest viper dealers in the US. The owner likes to race vipers so he has great connections with chrysler corporate bigwigs. heck, I'd even sell one to rollo ;)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
any Hot Deals on Vipers?

actually if i had any enemies, i'd encourage them to jump right in and take off - foot to the floor .. no need for a seat belt
:Q

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I think you'll be fine here keys you're a pretty open minded fella and anyone who thinks it'd impare what you do here is just a douche bag.

Edit- bryanW so you're work for dodge? means you can get mitsubishi hook ups too! Hook me up with an Evo X man! below invoice? *waves $100 bill* =)