My benches so far. Adding GTX480 SLI benches.

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Madcatatlas

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2010
No, I'm not. You've heard the vids, that is wonderful for you. I have both cards here in front of me. I'm here to tell you that they are both loud when under load. The 480 is louder for sure, but not to the extreme exaggeration you're reading on the web. It's not like you can hear the GTX480, but not the 5870 at load. Not like that at all. You hear them both just fine.

Nemesis: DID YOU GET THAT!?

He doesnt mind, and frankly neither do alot of others who have the cards for review. And lets not forget that the cards will be put in a case and that will lower the noise any card makes by a good amount.

And id also like to again say: noise is subjective, hell there are some people who have listened to loud music so much that their hearing has "adapted" or worsened (depending on your taste of wording yourself) or people who work in loud environments etc etc versus people who sit in an office all day long.
noise is subjective!

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
Well anadtech did say that the card was louder than their unreasonably loud 4890. The you have Kyle's videos. But yeah what is acceptable noise is subjective and depends on different factors like how far your case is and ambient room noise etc. I don't think anyone can argue that it's a quiet card and the temps demonstrated in reviews indicate that the problem is not an over aggressive fan profile either.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
COME ON! stop being this way, you ARE standing up for your friend as evident in your posts, AND I DONT MIND, i think its great. STOP being offended man!

and you are rude. and i do think you need to take a step back and relax abit before you keep posting, but as i already said, your call.

i stand up for what i know to be true

You just called Keys a *chump*

How goddamn rude is that? What are you contributing by name calling?
- and then you tell me to "relax"
:|

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
COME ON! stop being this way, you ARE standing up for your friend as evident in your posts, AND I DONT MIND, i think its great. STOP being offended man!

and you are rude. and i do think you need to take a step back and relax abit before you keep posting, but as i already said, your call.

You wrote chump instead of chum. Probably a typo, but if not then it would be name-calling. Appopin likes to argue, so there is really no purpose in fighting him unless you enjoy it as well.

Madcatatlas

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2010
cheapshot: is that why he has such a high postcount? :D (i keed) and yes i did mean chum as in pal/friend.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
cheapshot: is that why he has such a high postcount? :D (i keed) and yes i did mean chum as in pal/friend.

Yep ... less than ten posts a day average.

My stats did not carry through the transition
(as if i care for my old "elite" title) :p

Chum is a lot different than what you wrote, *chump*
- Chum is also used in trolling for sharks :D

As to my HD 5870, i'm up to 975/1300 MHz at 1.31v

EDIT: i got a PM and i replied but i do not know if it actually was received as i have lots of "imported PMs"
-yesterday was my first day back since the forum transitioned from fuseTalk

Last edited:

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Yep ... less than ten posts a day average.

My stats did not carry through the transition
(as if i care for my old "elite" title) :p

Chum is a lot different than what you wrote, *chump*
- Chum is also used in trolling for sharks :D

As to my HD 5870, i'm up to 975/1300 MHz at 1.31v

EDIT: i got a PM and i replied but i do not know if it actually was received as i have lots of "imported PMs"
-yesterday was my first day back since the forum transitioned from fuseTalk
At what temps and fan speed?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
At what temps and fan speed?

It is still a work in progress.

With the fan at 90% the temp maxes out at 67C
- but i am at the very edge of core instability at 1.312 V
- i either have to drop the OC slightly or go up a bit higher on the voltage

Once i get that established, i will work on the fan profile. i am impressed, so far with the increase in FPS.

UPDATE:

my nerves are shot with that whining HD 5870 fan at 90% for hours and hours - but i have my OC established and it is (evidently) stable (so far)

975/1300 - 1.325 V
... temps are good ... so i can get that damn fan's RPMs back down
20795 in Vantage/19602 at stock (reference speeds; not PCS+ mild OC speeds)

Last edited:

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
UPDATE:

my nerves are shot with that whining HD 5870 fan at 90% for hours and hours - but i have my OC established and it is (evidently) stable (so far)

975/1300 - 1.325 V
... temps are good ... so i can get that damn fan's RPMs back down
20795 in Vantage/19602 at stock (reference speeds; not PCS+ mild OC speeds)

I knew that would happen, I felt the same after a couple hours of >80% speed. Now, as for that "auto" fan profile, you may want a little more aggressive cooling, in Afterburner I'd setup a manual profile. Mine looks like this:

fancap.png

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I knew that would happen, I felt the same after a couple hours of >80% speed. Now, as for that "auto" fan profile, you may want a little more aggressive cooling, in Afterburner I'd setup a manual profile. Mine looks like this:

[/QUOTE]
Yes, thank you - that is exactly what i am doing next. Temps hit the low 70s when the fan is at 60% .. much more tolerable and that will be the Max RPM. :)

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Speaking of fan speed a new strobotach test may be in order...

Two years ago (2008) it was rumored that the HD3870X2 fan ramped up to over 10,000 RPM at full speed! Being a skeptic as I usually am when it comes to these things I decided to strobe it and see!

Using Rivatuner to produce max speed (it sounded like a hair dryer - well not a good one like mine that's 2000W ;) ) the stobotach indicated a speed of approximately 2850RPM. I had videos of this on youtube but a slacker closed the account. :(

Determined to see 10,000 RPM+ I grabbed a Raptor-X. They spin at exactly 10,023 RPM. :)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i'd like to see/hear a video card with a fan that ramped to 10,000 RPM
- but i would not care to be around when it failed

My Rotary engine's max redline is just over 11,000 RPMs
= you can imagine the TDP (it has a "thermal chamber") and the noise without a muffler is like a jet aircraft
(admittedly, a very small one; but it IS deafening - you cannot stand to be close by)

In *comparison* the GTX 480 is cool n' quiet
:D

Last edited:

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Wow, how did the thread turn out like this?

Wasnt it suppose to be a performance related thread? Im getting sick of most Fermi threads eventually turning into a noise/heat debate.. Maybe we need a seperate Fermi thread for all noise and heat related discussions, so that these people can argue their hearts out.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
If its about performance why not test the best card each company has to offer.

They did... Or am I mistaken?

The GTX 480 was tested at reference clocks, and the 5870 was tested at reference clocks. The GTX 480 is faster... Overclock both and still end up with the same situation. Overclock the 5870 quite a bit and leave the GTX 480 stock and you might just end up with a tie. We can argue over how much each card can overclock, but in the end, at reference speeds the GTX 480 is faster in most titles. And as noted earlier, that comes with certain consequences. A bit louder, a bit more power hungry. Life is full of trade-offs and so is chosing video card.

I may end up skipping this round entirely to see what a refresh brings. My GTX 280 does just fine for the games that I play. Well, my GTX 280 *did* play games just fine. Sitting in RMA right now... :-/

Unkle_Tar

Dec 29, 2009
They did... Or am I mistaken?

The GTX 480 was tested at reference clocks, and the 5870 was tested at reference clocks. The GTX 480 is faster... Overclock both and still end up with the same situation. Overclock the 5870 quite a bit and leave the GTX 480 stock and you might just end up with a tie. We can argue over how much each card can overclock, but in the end, at reference speeds the GTX 480 is faster in most titles. And as noted earlier, that comes with certain consequences. A bit louder, a bit more power hungry. Life is full of trade-offs and so is chosing video card.

I may end up skipping this round entirely to see what a refresh brings. My GTX 280 does just fine for the games that I play. Well, my GTX 280 *did* play games just fine. Sitting in RMA right now... :-/

I meant the 5970, should have said it I guess

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Ahhh, my bad. I still consider a single card to mean single GPU. I seem to forget about the sandwich cards, mainly because I don't particularly care of SLI or XFIRE. You are quite right, ATI has the fastest card out there.

Unkle_Tar

Dec 29, 2009
Ahhh, my bad. I still consider a single card to mean single GPU. I seem to forget about the sandwich cards, mainly because I don't particularly care of SLI or XFIRE. You are quite right, ATI has the fastest card out there.

Yeah I know these things factor in, I posted it mainly because cookie said he was getting sick of performance threads turning into arguements about power and noise. If thats the case and we throw out all the drawbacks, the 5970 would be the card to buy because its faster then the 480.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
You wouldn't be confrontational to someone who says they are going to disrupt everything you do and say?

Keys has been getting flak just for posting his GTX 480 benchmarks; all i see is a lot of jealousy.

i can do a LOT more than "say no" i can also post soundbytes
- a HD 5870 at max RPM is really annoying *also*
---neither of them are "2900XT loud"

Define fun. Your example is that of a Troll whose stated intention is to disrupt the forum.

Thats about enough. FERMI is hot Loud and a power pig. Thats just the facts. As for disrupting BS. Were discussing Fermi. This is what Fermi Is. No its not fun yet. When I see 40nm NI it will be fun. Now its about Fermi which is about 10-15% faster than 5870. A far cry from the HYPE which was in fact disruptive to the forums . I just stating facts . That many reviewers agree to. SO sue me. Fermi performs well . But its not a very good GPU in all other areas. Those are facts. Ya If I be disruptive with the trueth. How much more disruptive is the hype lieing more disruptive . NV fans have gotten away with

this many times here. Turning the conversation into . Well he said he was going to Spam for AMD and disrupt. Thats what NV fans do in almost every AMD/ATI topic.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
i'd like to see/hear a video card with a fan that ramped to 10,000 RPM
- but i would not care to be around when it failed

My Rotary engine's max redline is just over 11,000 RPMs
= you can imagine the TDP (it has a "thermal chamber") and the noise without a muffler is like a jet aircraft
(admittedly, a very small one; but it IS deafening - you cannot stand to be close by)

In *comparison* the GTX 480 is cool n' quiet
:D

It's possible to get the fan going that fast with a compressed nitrogen or argon cylinder and proper gun. Flying apart is definitely a concern. I remember reading about someone spinning up a fan in this method and it flying apart with blades stuck in the wall!

Impossible without breaking trademark law. Cool n' quiet is an AMD thing. ;)

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Is this thread about HD5970?

We are talking about the GTX480 and how it performs in todays games. It was benched against a HD5870 as a reference, because keys doesnt have a HD5970 although I dont know which is more appropriate to compare against. HD5970 is also $200 more expensive according to newegg where as the HD5870 is $80~0 cheaper.

If you look at the performance, overall its about 10~15% faster, but in games where Fermi seems to like, those leads become 20~50%.