My benches so far. Adding GTX480 SLI benches.

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Can't wait to see the GTX 480 turn out to be a smashing sales success,after all with people like Keys demonstrating its sheer awesomeness when compared to the HD5870...how could it turn out any other way...:rolleyes:

Dude, exactly what is your malfunction? And why are you so damn bitter? Always.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
Well, I can't really say I have the same prob as I am really not a big overclocker.
The cards are fast enough where we don't need to o/c them. That is just me though, I know many many others o/c out of sheer reflex! :)
I will try to o/c the 480 and see what it can do. 826/2200 you say? Core and shaders linked I would imagine?
I like the Radeon, it's definitely a powerful card, plays games without issue so far.
ARMA II actually pukes on this card, but it's the demo and I haven't tried it on the 480 yet to see if it pukes the same way.

Wow its about freakin time. Seriously the o/c numbers is all we want and it takes you a week to even start considering it? And even then just because you want to compare it to another guy with prerelease hardware?

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Wow its about freakin time. Seriously the o/c numbers is all we want and it takes you a week to even start considering it? And even then just because you want to compare it to another guy with prerelease hardware?

Calm yourself.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I am always calm? Perhaps you are reading too much into what was written.

I strongly doubt it. No o/c results now. I'm sure our fellow members will be thanking you.
Oh wait.. I have a much better idea. No reason to punish them because of a bad apple.

Last edited:

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
I strongly doubt it. No o/c results now. I'm sure our fellow members will be thanking you.
Oh wait.. I have a much better idea.

What your gona underclock it or something to see if the card is physically capable of generating under 55db at full load?

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Has anyone performed a throttle test?
Run furmark and hold the fan with your finger and wait. :eek:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
What your gona underclock it or something to see if the card is physically capable of generating under 55db at full load?

Nah, I'll give o/c results via PM to a few who I like and who are pleasant to speak with here. Then ask them not to tell you. Will that drive you mad? Or are you already there?

And by all means, keep digging.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
Nah, I'll give o/c results via PM to a few who I like and who are pleasant to speak with here. Then ask them not to tell you. Will that drive you mad? Or are you already there?

And by all means, keep digging.

lol if you think that would care about that then you really have the wrong guy. You do realize that I have no problem with you withholding information about nvidia products from the community... :p I might even suggest that you keep doing this with everything they let you test from now on! And seriously you should listen to Rubycon she(?) has some really awesome ideas. It's not like you pay for the card anyways.

Last edited:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
lol if you think that would care about that then you really have the wrong guy. And seriously you should listen to Rubycon she(?) has some really awesome ideas. It's not like you pay for the card anyways.

"Wow its about freakin time. Seriously the o/c numbers is all we want and it takes you a week to even start considering it?"

Methinks you do. So which is it? Is it "About freaking time"? or "lol if you think that would care about that then you really have the wrong guy."

And I will always listen to Rubycon. Now, I've entertained your notion that your posts actually matter to me, so here is where you'll hear crickets from this point on.

Good Luck, Dark4ng3l.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
Oh I don't post for you. I do it for the good of the whole forum. A little criticism is always good in a discussion and well lets just say that your status as a mod meant that you got too little criticism. Obviously you can't handle it for some reason. Hey maybe being a mod in a hardware forum and getting free stuff from a hardware vendor is not all peaches and roses when some people see a conflict of interest in it.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Dark4ng3l, just because keys is part of a focus group member doesn't instantly give you the rights to hassle and accuse his motives/agenda w.e at every turn. Maybe if his claims were ridiculous and so biased then it would be understandable see such reactions/attitude such as yours toward these members.

But at the moment I dont see such as justifiable. It just comes off as pure trolling, and doesn't add everything in value to the topic at all.

Plus whats with your sig? What did the focus members do to you? shit on your breakfast? or are your saying that your part of the ATi focus group? I dont think anyone views you as knight in shining armor to save us all from the pure corrupting evil that is known as the nVIDIA focus group...

You've basically ruined a perfectly fine thread.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Oh I don't post for you. I do it for the good of the whole forum. A little criticism is always good in a discussion and well lets just say that your status as a mod meant that you got too little criticism. Obviously you can't handle it for some reason. Hey maybe being a mod in a hardware forum and getting free stuff from a hardware vendor is not all peaches and roses when some people see a conflict of interest in it.

No!!! There will be nothing but praise and much rejoicing! You will be labeled a troll and banished! Now go say 10 hailmarys and 5 acts of contrition and sin no more. :p

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
They are both loud. The 480 seems louder to me. Neither are annoying though.

I think a wider diameter, lower rpm, higher CFM fan would have of course been better.

Neither are annoying to YOU ????

I am not crapping on your thread just this statement. Nice performance But heat power draw and NOISE make this card crapola.

Here have a listen and tell me it's not annoying. LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASu3Xw6JM1w

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Let's talk about DX11 in its current state.

For example, in BF:BC2, DX10 and DX11 are the same: "BC2 uses DirectX 11, but according to this interview, DX11 is mainly used to speed up soft shadow filtering. The DirectX 10 rendering path produces the same images." - techreport

Crysis isn't DX11 and still smokes 5870 and GTX480. Even without DX11, this game requires serious horsepower and looks better than almost everything else out there. This and Warhead is where GTX480 should have been 20% faster than 5870 but it just isn't for some reason.

IIRC, in Dirt 2 all you get is tessellation of the water puddles on the track so they behave more realistically and sprinkled character details in the crowd. For these small visual differences 5xxx series gets massively penalized (see 5770 and 5850) compared to GTX275 and 4890 in a very similar DX10 mode: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5830_11.html#sect1
At this point hardly anyone will accept that kind of a performance for only better water effects. Speaking of water effects, this isn't like comparing the difference in water Half-Life 2 with DX8 vs. DX9 paths: http://www.anandtech.com/show/1549/2 This better not be the direction of DX11 games.

The only game that takes DX11 to a new level is Metro 2033; but enable Tessallation and DoF and it's game over for current DX11 cards.

DX11 is meant for next gen cards, just like DX9 was meant for 2nd generation DX9 cards and DX10 was meant for 2nd generation DX10 cards.

I think this fall is going to be very sad when Crysis 2 comes out and these $400-500 videocard will cry. Everyone will wish for HD6xxx and GTX5xx ():)

Excuse me but you can give me all of the examples you want; if you haven't played with it, you don't miss it. You are putting it down from 2nd hand references.

i can enjoy Metro 2033 with HD 5870 CF - it is attainable now. Crysis 2 will be less demanding on the PC than Crysis was. The draw distance is way lower, for one.
- of course at "ultra" settings, your PC is meant to be slow; that is the way they do it at CryTek.

You mention for some reason the GTX 480 isn't faster in Crysis
- i will tell you - it is running on BETA release drivers

The GTX 480 drivers are green

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Neither are annoying to YOU ????

I am not crapping on your thread just this statement. Nice performance But heat power draw and NOISE make this card crapola.

Here have a listen and tell me it's not annoying. LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASu3Xw6JM1w

i have one and it is not annoying to *me* either

otoh, the HD5870s i have - especially the PowerColor PCS+ is whisper silent

However, you will also notice the Radeon when it is 60%
- the GTX 480 a bit more so

it is not a "2900XT" or a DustBuster

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
i have one and it is not annoying to *me* either

otoh, the HD5870s i have - especially the PowerColor PCS+ is whisper silent

However, you will also notice the Radeon when it is 60%
- the GTX 480 a bit more so

it is not a "2900XT" or a DustBuster

Hay I had a 2900xt . My daughter is buying a couple of these fermi when available.

We shall see which card is louder. This Fermi is King of dustbusters.

So Apoppin how is it you have a Fermi . Threw AEG?????

Ryan Smith

The New Boss
Staff member
Oct 22, 2005
www.anandtech.com
Anand's site benched 47.7 with 1900 x 1200 with ultra quality and Key's numbers for the GTX-480 are around this number but what makes one notice is the 5870 numbers are much lower with Key's findings.

Did Anand's Site use maxed -- including HDAO on Ultra?

That is why if some bench with the 5870 with settings maxed one may gauge things instead of pointing fingers.
Since you asked:

DX11 Renderer
Ultra Quality
MSAA: 4x
MSAA for Alpha-Testing: Off (It looks like this can't be enabled for the full version of the game)
SSAO Mode: HDAO
SSAO Quality: Ultra
Use DX10.1: On
Enable Tessellation: On
Contact Hardening Shadows: On

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Excuse me but you can give me all of the examples you want; if you haven't played with it, you don't miss it. You are putting it down from 2nd hand references.

i can enjoy Metro 2033 with HD 5870 CF - it is attainable now. Crysis 2 will be less demanding on the PC than Crysis was. The draw distance is way lower, for one.
- of course at "ultra" settings, your PC is meant to be slow; that is the way they do it at CryTek.

You mention for some reason the GTX 480 isn't faster in Crysis
- i will tell you - it is running on BETA release drivers

The GTX 480 drivers are green

apoppin,

I disagree with the fermi drivers being immature. Fermi has been a very long time in the coming. Since it has taken this long for them to "release" (and i use that term lightly since the rest of us can't buy one) Fermi, I'm sure they have had test units for a very long time and have been tweaking the driver along the way so it would be as potent as possible when it hit the shelves. On the other hand, I believe Amd has been holding back the power on the hd5800's delliberatley for the fermi launch

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Hay I had a 2900xt . My daughter is buying a couple of these fermi when available.

We shall see which card is louder. This Fermi is King of dustbusters.

So Apoppin how is it you have a Fermi . Threw AEG?????
No

Through NVIDIA corp under NDA when the other tech sites got them, ABT got one also
-immediately after that, AMD send me a PowerColor HD 5870 PCS+

Now i have two HD 5870s for CF .. and Part two of My GTX 480 review will pit the Overclocked GTX 480 (826/1100) vs. O/C'd 5870 (925/1300)

Actually i am overclocking my Diamond Reference HD 5870 right now .. it is at 95% fan speed and it is somewhat annoying. i would never do this except for testing settings. The GTX 480 would be a bit more annoying. But nothing like 2900XT at 90%

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
apoppin,

I disagree with the fermi drivers being immature. Fermi has been a very long time in the coming. Since it has taken this long for them to "release" (and i use that term lightly since the rest of us can't buy one) Fermi, I'm sure they have had test units for a very long time and have been tweaking the driver along the way so it would be as potent as possible when it hit the shelves. On the other hand, I believe Amd has been holding back the power on the hd5800's delliberatley for the fermi launch

First of all, AMD has been racing to bring performance drivers to spoil Nvidia's GTX 470/480 launch. Not really holding back. If you will note, Cat 10.3b is released

i should use emoticons again. "Green" Nvidia drivers,
- get it?

But i disagree. No matter how long Fermi was in pre-production it is never as good as *after* the cards are released; then they get the thousands of bug reports they need.

Look at history of EVERY new architecture. G80's 8800 released with horrid Vista drivers.
6 months later we got 2900xt with crappy drivers also - it took AMD at least 2 months to catch up.

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Since you asked:

DX11 Renderer
Ultra Quality
MSAA: 4x
MSAA for Alpha-Testing: Off (It looks like this can't be enabled for the full version of the game)
SSAO Mode: HDAO
SSAO Quality: Ultra
Use DX10.1: On
Enable Tessellation: On
Contact Hardening Shadows: On

Hi there fella. Nice review by the way. I new you would do well.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Ya They all get loud under heavey load . To me the noise really isn't a big deal since I water cool . But this isn't about what I do . Its what the buyer gets. On low speed Fermi is to loud. High speed High load they all suck. But Fermi is King of suck.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
First of all, AMD has been racing to bring performance drivers to spoil Nvidia's GTX 470/480 launch. Not really holding back. If you will note, Cat 10.3b is released

i should use emoticons again. "Green" Nvidia drivers,
- get it?

But i disagree. No matter how long Fermi was in pre-production it is never as good as *after* the cards are released; then they get the thousands of bug reports they need.

Look at history of EVERY new architecture. G80's 8800 released with horrid Vista drivers.
6 months later we got 2900xt with crappy drivers also - it took AMD at least 2 months to catch up.

Couldn't help but notice your PS is way weak for Xfire and Fermi

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Actually i am overclocking my Diamond Reference HD 5870 right now .. it is at 95% fan speed and it is somewhat annoying. i would never do this except for testing settings. The GTX 480 would be a bit more annoying. But nothing like 2900XT at 90%
What OC are you running that you need 95% fan speed on a 5870? :eek: My 5850@1020 doesn't even reach 40%, no matter what game I'm playing.