Multiple fatalities in shooting at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/17/us/charleston-south-carolina-shooting/index.html

From early reports at least 8 dead. Several people were killed in a shooting at a historic African-American church in Charleston, South Carolina, a source close to the investigation told CNN. Police said the suspect in the shooting is a clean-shaven white man in his 20s, with a slender build. He was wearing a grey sweatshirt, blue jeans and boots.

The shooter is still at large. I'm sure this will as usual rile up the sentiment that we need to be able to carry our guns in church. If I need to carry mine in church it's time to stop going. RIP those just trying to attend a Bible study.

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
Another right wing guns toting terrorist looney bin? What a surprise.. but no that's not possible as the terrorists are only brown/ blacks - fox news

Last edited:

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Another win for the NRA.
The insane handed guns with no questions asked.
God bless American violence.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Another right wing guns toting terrorist looney bin? What a surprise.. but no that's not possible as the terrorists are only brown/ blacks - fox news

Bro, nobody knows who the perpetrator was right now. He could be a "right wing guns toting terrorist" or a white convert Islam Daeshlover or something else. Just chill out and wait for more details.

Last edited:

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
obligatory post where i suspect the perpetrator has a significant history of mental illness

the crisis nobody wants to talk about

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
I'm reading all kinds of stuff but no hard facts yet. It's said that the gunman sat down with them for a bit before getting up and attacking them. The police chief called it an "act of terrorism". They are saying that it could be the worst mass killing in SC history. I wonder if the governor will order the flag to be flown at half staff because of this.

Being that the confederate flag flies over the capitol in SC, that could be interesting to see.

What a sad, sad thing to happen to those innocent people. I hear the pastor was a State Senator, 41 years of age and had a wife and two kids.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Another win for the NRA.
The insane handed guns with no questions asked.
God bless American violence.

Nah it's an ideological opportunity for the gun control activists, who will no doubt generalize one racist psychopath to all gun owners to further demonize and restrict those who had no part in this. Granted I don't see such sentiment gaining traction in South Carolina, but people like you will certainly try to pile up these corpses so you can circle jerk over the dead. As of your post you already are; sounds like you could use a good church yourself.

For my part I'd rather focus on catching the bastard and mourning the dead. Committing murder is bad enough, committing it in a place dedicated to peace and salvation is even lower. I pity the shooter that even in such a place he was unable to refrain from violence and seek help, when it appears he was literally steps away from those who would have likely given it if asked. I'm not a Christian, but stuff like this makes me hope they have it right. If what I was taught as a kid is true, then even if God shows mercy on this killer the pain of his repentance will far outweigh that which he inflicted.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I too would refrain from making any overly certain declarations about the killer's motives here, or trying to put any kind of political spin on it. Why not save the political spin until after all the facts are known?

I'd say this was carefully planned and pre-meditated. How many public mass murderers are able to successfully flee the scene without being apprehended? The vast majority are caught on site. Many are killed on site. Since this guy got away, I'd say he pre-planned it, giving himself a quick escape route.

This plays like a pre-meditated execution. It wasn't a rage mass killing. That sort of mass killer would not have stopped at the church but would have continued until dead or out of ammunition. The careful pre-mediation means either ideological/religious, or else personal as between him and the victims. It doesn't support him being psychotic. He definitely knew what he was doing.

There's four obvious conclusions from all this, and it's pretty clear what they are: racism, jihad, "crazy" in a way that doesn't suggest either political position, or the killing was personal as between killer and victims and hence apolitical. I doubt it was personal. Doesn't seem likely that victims knew killer. Possible, but not likely. "Crazy" is refuted by his careful planning. That leaves ideological/religious, meaning either a) racism, or b) jihad. Of the two, racism seems more likely given the context: a black church in the deep south. Black churches in the south have a long history of civil rights activism, and they also act in a way as civic bodies for the communities. It reads like a kind of terrorist attack. Best guess is the Stormfront crowd. But it could also be any of a number of other things. Maybe something I haven't even considered yet.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I'm reading all kinds of stuff but no hard facts yet. It's said that the gunman sat down with them for a bit before getting up and attacking them. The police chief called it an "act of terrorism". They are saying that it could be the worst mass killing in SC history. I wonder if the governor will order the flag to be flown at half staff because of this.

Being that the confederate flag flies over the capitol in SC, that could be interesting to see.

What a sad, sad thing to happen to those innocent people. I hear the pastor was a State Senator, 41 years of age and had a wife and two kids.

What in the crap does that have to do with anything?

By the way: It isn't The Confederate Flag. It is the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia. Just so ya know.

It is a sad event and Nobody knows who or what the motive was at this time. Everyone is speculating. I do hope they catch him soon.

Last edited:

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
What in the crap does that have to do with anything?

By the way: It isn't The Confederate Flag. It is the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia. Just so ya know.

It is a sad event and Nobody knows who or what the motive was at this time. Everyone is speculating. I do hope they catch him soon.

It looks like I'm not the only one asking that question...lol! Regarding the battle flag, it's a flag that supported secession, slavery and traitors.

There is no honor in that flag.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Jesus wept. I have no pity for the shooter - he's an evil bastard. And why on Earth would the South Carolina capital be flying the Battle Flag of North Virginia? Virginia shouldn't even be flying it.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
P&N has taught me that this is not race related AND question why the news isn't reporting the killings in Chicago.

Oh, the media is out to smear white gun owners as well.

And, this man is not a terrorist either, he is just crazy.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Amazing how quickly the usual band of idiots will come forward and start throwing all sorts of political spin on the situation without having any real clue about what happened yet. :thumbsdown:

What a terrible event, I hope they nail the guy responsible and make him take a dirt nap asap.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
This is one of the best posts I've seen on ATPN in a very long time.

Nah it's an ideological opportunity for the gun control activists, who will no doubt generalize one racist psychopath to all gun owners to further demonize and restrict those who had no part in this. Granted I don't see such sentiment gaining traction in South Carolina, but people like you will certainly try to pile up these corpses so you can circle jerk over the dead. As of your post you already are; sounds like you could use a good church yourself.

For my part I'd rather focus on catching the bastard and mourning the dead. Committing murder is bad enough, committing it in a place dedicated to peace and salvation is even lower. I pity the shooter that even in such a place he was unable to refrain from violence and seek help, when it appears he was literally steps away from those who would have likely given it if asked. I'm not a Christian, but stuff like this makes me hope they have it right. If what I was taught as a kid is true, then even if God shows mercy on this killer the pain of his repentance will far outweigh that which he inflicted.

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
He has that 1980's male yuppie haircut now mostly worn by people with sexual identity issues who go to raves with glow sticks and drugs.

Also he does not look white at all to me.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Multiple innocents are dead, their shooter is a threat to society. Find him, and put him down.

keird

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
He has that 1980's male yuppie haircut now mostly worn by people with sexual identity issues who go to raves with glow sticks and drugs.

Also he does not look white at all to me.

no_country.javierb.01.jpg

Not to make light of this heinous act but the hair style is distinct.