More than 1 in every 100 Americans now behind bars..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
ok , that didn't take long, this thread will now be overun by the stoners, 'free drugs for everyone!'

I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact that roughly half of that prison population is in there for drug offenses and nothing else.

And yaknow what, we're not all stoners. I'm in favor of gay rights, but I'm not gay. I'm in favor of civil rights, but I'm a white male. And so forth. So stuff it, eh?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: tenthumbs
How about abiding the law? That's a good start

Or how about changing laws that are bad, unfair, or don't work? That'd been an even better start.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
im surprised there isnt a reality show based on convict vs. convict ala 'the running man' movie

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: SpunkyJones
I read it as 99% of the people in the country are not breaking the law.

And yet still that 1% is a higher percentage of the population "breaking the law" and in prison than there was in the Soviet Union under Stalin.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Vic

Or how about changing laws that are bad, unfair, or don't work? That'd been an even better start.

Or kill people quicker.

Sex crime against a child? Death.
Rape? Death.
Murder? Death.
Gang violence? Death.
Hate crime? Death.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
We incarcerate way too many non-violent criminals (aka pot smokers) who are less harmful to society than the cops that arrested them.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
You can blame mandatory minimums and 3 strike laws which strip judges of the power to actually make "judgements" when sentencing. This is especially relevant with non-violent drug related crimes.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Queasy
30% of prisoners in federal prisons are illegal aliens. That sounds like a good place to start.

Is that true? Holy crap. That's ridiculous.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Safeway

Or kill people quicker.

Rape? Death.
Murder? Death.
Gang violence? Death.
Hate crime? Death.

Rape and murder I can understand using the death penalty for, in select cases, but the rest?...

What's a hate crime except a sideways attack on freedom of expression?
What's a sex crime if it's not rape?
How is gang violence different from regular violence, except as an attack on freedom of association?

Go move to China, eh?

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Originally posted by: paulxcook
30% of prisoners in federal prisons are illegal aliens. That sounds like a good place to start.

Send them to Antarctica. See if they can start a new fucking life there.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006

Or kill people quicker.

Rape? Death.
Murder? Death.
Gang violence? Death.
Hate crime? Death.

Sure that'd be great if only there were a way to have God descend from the clouds and tell you whether or not a person really did it. Otherwise you're putting exponentially more peoples lives in the hands of a system that is tremendously biased.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000

I think federal prisoners are only a small percentage of the total prison population though.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004

Or kill people quicker.

Rape? Death.
Murder? Death.
Gang violence? Death.
Hate crime? Death.

Rape and murder I can understand using the death penalty for, in select cases, but the rest?...

How is gang violence different from regular violence, except as an attack on freedom of association?

Go move to China, eh?

A hate crime is a dementedly screwed attack on a person for what they can't change. If they hate it enough to commit once crime, then for sure they will do more against that group. Fuck' em. Kill them.

Sex crime against children, specific. Indecent touching, posing, etc. Kill those perverts.

Gang violence is attacking violent association. Yes. Fuck them. Kill them.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Originally posted by: m1ldslide1

Or kill people quicker.

Rape? Death.
Murder? Death.
Gang violence? Death.
Hate crime? Death.

Sure that'd be great if only there were a way to have God descend from the clouds and tell you whether or not a person really did it. Otherwise you're putting exponentially more peoples lives in the hands of a system that is tremendously biased.

Yea, that is the only catch. In a system that kills criminals, there are no second chances or reversible mistakes. It's a big catch, for sure.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: FoBoT
many crimes should not have incarceration as part of the punishment, we need to bring back humiliation and corporeal punishments, they are cheaper and more effective than incarceration

As opposed to non corporeal punishment?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Or kill people quicker.

Rape? Death.
Murder? Death.
Gang violence? Death.
Hate crime? Death.

Go move to China, eh?

A hate crime is a dementedly screwed attack on a person for what they can't change. If they hate it enough to commit once crime, then for sure they will do more against that group. Fuck' em. Kill them.

Sex crime against children, specific. Indecent touching, posing, etc. Kill those perverts.

Wow, you are stupid and filled with ignorant hate. Your own logic could be used as grounds to "fuck you kill you."

Our government is not your personal instrument for committing your own agenda of murder.

Wow.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001

ayep. Estimates are any where between 29 and 35%. Worse in states like California.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Analog
Originally posted by: Ackmed
Originally posted by: Analog
How can "THe Land of the Free" resolve "The land of the Imprisoned"?

This doesnt make any sense. People are free to do as they please, for the most part. Far more than most any other country. You can protest and display whatever religion you want. In some countries, thats enough to get you in jail. That is why we are called, land of the free. When you break a law, then you face the consequences of your actions. Someone being in prison, doesnt mean that the nation operates any differently. You're not comparing the same things.

I believe you misunderstood, I agree with what you said...

I meant that the citizens of this nation should be grateful for our freedoms, and thus be good citizens. We should be grateful that we don't have the gulags that the Soviets had, etc. Cherishing your country, I would think, would in turn - bring up citizens that are law abiding and productive. That's all I meant.

you are asking for a sociologists perspective, basically.
crime is impossible to rid the world of, at least not as long as people are free to have emotions.
poverty is a big drag on society, but with people free to make choices for how they want to live... such as no going to school, not going to work, not putting any effort into life... then poverty will exist. As long as poverty exists, there will be crime. Mixing poverty and emotion is also a breeding ground in the mind for criminal behavior. So are a lot of other factors.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim

I think federal prisoners are only a small percentage of the total prison population though.

Its just as bad for state prisons. Georgia has a large illegal alien population and has requested money from the feds to help cover the costs. California's state prison illegal alien population is pushing 50%.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004

Or kill people quicker.

Rape? Death.
Murder? Death.
Gang violence? Death.
Hate crime? Death.

Go move to China, eh?

Wow, you are stupid and filled with ignorant hate. Your own logic could be used as grounds to "fuck you kill you."

Our government is not your personal instrument for committing your own agenda of murder.

Wow.

Haha, oh well. Would I kill all these people? Hell no. There is an inadequate Justice system in place. Inadequate risk management services in high-risk communities.

Nothing I said passes the "Grandma Rule" or "Best Friend Rule". That is, would you want the rules applied to your Grandma or best friend?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

ayep. Estimates are any where between 29 and 35%. Worse in states like California.

The federal prison is 201,105 -- Text

Or 8.7% of the total. Making your 30% illegal inmate figure become roughly 2.6% of the actual prison population in the US. Nice try though.

Thank you, drive thru.