More fun with Chinese tourists

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
So if you said the same thing about black people during Katrina you would get banned. Or you can easily say all American people are savages for stomping each other over a discounted TV on Black Friday at Walmart.

You see how stupid using stereotypes can be?

China is rapidly coming out of poverty in the last 20 years, your western manners/expectations are developed over time, and built upon wealth.

There is a transition period from poor -> hood rich -> rich. The first generation of riches are not going to be educated, well mannered like you expect them to be. Culture/manner is cultivated over time. That's why old money people/descendants have the best manners. Poor immigrants that came to America 150 years ago didn't have any manners either.

So it's not OK to complain about it and expect them to change?

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
When I visited Korea this past summer, I visited an area in Seoul with a bunch of Chinese tourists. After shopping, I got in a line to receive sales tax refund since I am American. There were a lot of Chinese tourists in the line as well, but this one lady kept on trying to cut in front of me. My wife told me to forget about it but I just couldn't deal with the rudeness so I said forcefully, "Excuse, we are in the line! The line starts back there." Not sure if she understood English but she got the clue.

On a different occasion a few years ago, at Incheon Airport, Korea, wife and I got into the line to fly back home. Out of nowhere, a Chinese couple just cut in front of us as if it was a natural thing to do. At that time, I was tired as hell and our seats were numbered so I let it go.

I wouldn't say all Chinese tourists are bad but there are more bad ones compared to other countries.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Did you bother to read your own article? See the word "homeless" in it?

Got it? Good.

America is NOT like china, not even a long shot. Thank goodness.

Keep digging deeper and trying harder to pull out more strawmans, comrade wumao.

Wait, homeless are not Americans so it's okay for them to shit on the sidewalks in America? Gotcha!

Everything on your stupid list, Americans do also. The fact that you spend so much time on your posts and that multiple people have called you out on your blatant racism, says it all.

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Wait, homeless are not Americans so it's okay for them to shit on the sidewalks in America? Gotcha!

Everything on your stupid list, happens in America.

Who says homeless are not Americans? Only in your mind.

Reading comprehension is good for your brain, if you have one.

No one is saying the US is perfect but we do not have problems in MASSIVE scale as in china. US people are not perfect but we do not behave badly as chinese in MASSIVE scale and WIDESPREAD.

Do you get it yet or shall I continue to pwned you?

This is for you, do you see any homeless in these links?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUx45I04e7M

http://shanghaiist.com/2015/10/05/chinese_tourist_burberry_bicester_village.php

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...eleases-behaviour-guide-Chinese-tourists.html

:D:D x 1000000000000000000

Last edited:

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Who says homeless are not Americans? Only in your mind.

Reading comprehension is good for your brain, if you have one.

No one is saying the US is perfect but we do not have problems in MASSIVE scale as in china. US people are not perfect but we do not behave badly as chinese in MASSIVE scale.

Do you get it yet or shall I continue to pwned you?

This is for you, do you see any homeless? http://shanghaiist.com/2015/10/05/chinese_tourist_burberry_bicester_village.php

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...eleases-behaviour-guide-Chinese-tourists.html

:D:D x 1000000000000000000

I updated my prior post and do a google search on American tourists. /game over

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I updated my prior post and do a google search on American tourists. /game over

Can't debate with facts, pull the "but..but..but...but..soooooo rrrrracccsiiiiiiitt" card, eh?

Look here, these Taiwanese must be racists, eh? LOL = http://www.barstoolsports.com/newyo...nese-immigrants-are-pooping-on-peoples-lawns/

So I dont care if you’re from China and thats your custom. Dont care if you move to a mostly Taiwanese community where you feel like you can apply the same rules and customs that you do back at home. America = shit in toilets. There is no bending of that rule. There is no mulligans on that one. Its a hard, steadfast rule that needs to be followed 100% of the time or you can get the fuck out of this country.

See my links? Where are yours?

Game over. You LOSE!!!! Those links I posted mostly are from the chinese themselves. So they are sooooo racists, eh? LOL. Facts are facts, comrade wumao.

Last edited:

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
I think I might almost enjoy that. I could act on all my antisocial tendencies, and I'd be acting normal. I have the benefit of size for pushing through a wall of Chinese.
I have no problem with tourists, even in groups, since they rarely include the frail elderly... But shopping in NYC's Chinatowns during their really busy hours on the weekends still gets to me, since I can't bring myself to elbow septua- and octagenarians aside with the same impunity they elbow me aside.:D I can cherry-pick produce as well as any little old Chinese lady (and have no qualms about using my longer arms to get at the good stuff before they do:sneaky:), nor do I have any about qualms shoving my way through a crowd of people in the age range from 15-70, but damn, those little old ladies who just plunk their stuff down on the cash register conveyor belt right in front of you as if you don't even exist get me every time...:eek::biggrin:

Nashemon

Jun 14, 2012
The only tourists I've ever really encountered have been at Niagara Falls. I live nearby, so I go there several times a year, and it's mobbed by people from all over the world. While I've seen "interesting" behavior, I've never had issues with anything I've ever seen, other than people standing in the raised flowerbeds trying to get a better view.

A recurring theme in this thread has been with old couples cutting in line. I've never been to China, but perhaps in some parts it's customary to allow elderly folks to go ahead of you, just like in America you let them have your seat on the subway/bus. So maybe they think you're the rude one for telling them to get in the back of the line, or when you elbow them as they try to pass. Of course when in Rome you should do as the Roman's do, but could just be a lack of knowledge of local customs.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I was in China (Shanghai) for work for a few days last year.
I expected the worst, but didn't think they were that rude.
Their personal space buffer is about a quarter of a typical American's, but that's to be expected in such a crowded space.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
When I visited Korea this past summer, I visited an area in Seoul with a bunch of Chinese tourists. After shopping, I got in a line to receive sales tax refund since I am American. There were a lot of Chinese tourists in the line as well, but this one lady kept on trying to cut in front of me. My wife told me to forget about it but I just couldn't deal with the rudeness so I said forcefully, "Excuse, we are in the line! The line starts back there." Not sure if she understood English but she got the clue.

On a different occasion a few years ago, at Incheon Airport, Korea, wife and I got into the line to fly back home. Out of nowhere, a Chinese couple just cut in front of us as if it was a natural thing to do. At that time, I was tired as hell and our seats were numbered so I let it go.

I wouldn't say all Chinese tourists are bad but there are more bad ones compared to other countries.

Reminds me of this video I just watched the other day.

https://youtu.be/IAuF2eFOM9Y

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
lol work a service job, im not a peasant

:p
I worked as a waiter for a while and I don't think we ever used those terms but this was a long time ago. On the other hand, restaurant lingo tends not to change much so it might be a regional thing.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
ive never heard that and neither has google

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=2+top
Your google-fu is slipping...

["Two-top" restaurant] (I added the word restaurant only because so many irrelevant pages happen to include the word "two" followed by "top" (ie, a company's "two top executives", a team's "two top players", the "two top issues concerning voters", etc.)

See also www.waywordradio.org/two-top-restaurant-slang/, www.dictionary.com/browse/two-top, and as to its usage by "lay" people (which I'd agree is mostly annoying), see the thread titled "Two tops", four tops", tricerotops?" on Chowhound.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
A recurring theme in this thread has been with old couples cutting in line. I've never been to China, but perhaps in some parts it's customary to allow elderly folks to go ahead of you, just like in America you let them have your seat on the subway/bus. So maybe they think you're the rude one for telling them to get in the back of the line, or when you elbow them as they try to pass. Of course when in Rome you should do as the Roman's do, but could just be a lack of knowledge of local customs.

I've never been to China (or any Asian country for that matter), but I have spent a lot of time in NYC's Chinatown (later Chinatowns, plural) over several decades and I've actually been a little surprised that on the contrary, the elderly - at large - don't seem generally to be treated particularly well. One's own elders - as in family members - yes, definitely - but not strangers. (Though unlike what is all too often common in some Western societies, including in the US, they aren't treated poorly either, they're just not given any special consideration.)

I was in China (Shanghai) for work for a few days last year.
I expected the worst, but didn't think they were that rude.
Their personal space buffer is about a quarter of a typical American's, but that's to be expected in such a crowded space.

Honestly, I don't even find the behavior being discussed here "rude" since (for the most part), in my experience at least, it's not usually done with the "intention of being rude", so to speak, it's (mostly) just a question of different customs. Basically, it's a sort of "everyone for themselves" kinda thing... But since they don't consider it exceptionable when I behave the same way, I just deal with it.

What does annoy me no end (and is very likely to bring my NYC-bred "I'm-usually-very-polite-but-I-take-no-shit-from-anyone" attitude;) to the fore), are pushy people who get loudly indignant, self-righteous and worst yet, try to "get all up in your face" if you (dare to) treat them the way they treat you...

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
China has banned three passengers from major airlines for "uncivilised behaviour", state media reported on Monday, as the country seeks to instil manners in its increasingly well-travelled populace.

The three were blacklisted for hitting a checkpoint security officer with a can of milk, attacking airline personnel over a flight delay, and refusing to switch off a tablet PC during a landing, the China Daily newspaper said.

In January last year, 25 passengers were held by police for questioning after they fought with crew members over a bad weather delay and opened the emergency exits.

In 2013, an official who missed two flights lost his temper at the boarding counter and went on a rampage, violently destroying two computers and attempting to smash a window with a signboard.

In December 2014, a Chinese woman en route back to China from Thailand threw a cup of noodles full of boiling water at a Thai flight attendant and punched the cabin windows, threatening to jump out, in a dispute that began over seat arrangements.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/three-chinese-passengers-grounded-bad-behaviour-052217725.html

A video of a woman being stabbed to death in southern China on 7 April has sparked a public outcry as the person who filmed the horrific incident failed to alert the authorities or stop the attack. The footage shows a woman screaming on the ground after her waist was slashed three times by a young man with a knife who later fled the scene.

The film was shared widely across social media, State-owned Guangdong Television reported. It said by the time an ambulance arrived at the back alley in the Changan township in southern Dongguan, the 20-year-old woman had already died.

This is not the first time that bystanders have stood by doing nothing when someone is attacked. Only last week, a woman was brutally beaten by a man in a Beijing hotel with no one coming to her assistance. The incident, like the one above, was also captured by the hotel's CCTV.

In 2015, a CCTV emerged of a 57-year-old man staggering before collapsing by a road. Cars and pedestrians ignored him and he later died. Similarly, in 2011, another video emerged of a two-year-old girl being hit by a car and left on the road as passers-by ignored her. Sadly, she also died of her injuries.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/bystander-...-death-fails-stop-attack-alert-police-1554110