More fun with Chinese tourists

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I know language barriers can be an issue so I don't begrudge them their tour groups but its the shear size of the groups and how they can behave in them thats problematic. We ran into several issues during our recent trip to Australia

We were at the Blue Mountains enjoying a view of the 3 sisters when a low roar came up behind us. We, and the maybe 15 other people there, turned and saw a tidal wave of humanity descending down on us as two massive tour buses disgorged their cargo. A single tour guide was talking loudly into a loudspeaker so that the entire group could hear her - which was impressive given how loudly everyone in the group was talking to eachother.

Everyone else quickly left the area as their tour group size was completely disproportionate to the size of the viewing area and as people in the group basically elbowed aside the few who tried to remain at the site a few seconds longer

We also had the misfortune of sharing a plane with a large group that had probably close to half the seats on our 100 seat ERJ-190 flight. During boarding they kept trying to mob the gate agent and paid no attention to boarding groups. Once seated I came to the realization that probably 1/3 of them area going to die from lung related issues due to the sear volume of throat clearing and hawking of phlegm that was going on. Many also seemed to take no notice that people were already in their seats as they pushed and pulled on as many seats as they could at any opportunity.

When landing we had to stop quite a distance from the terminal while taxiing and, despite the preemptive announcement by the flight attendant, much of the group got up and started standing in the aisles and getting bags out. The initial admonishing by the flight attendants went unheeded until the head flight attendant got over the intercom and said "NO NO NO - You have to sit down!" I've been on more than a few flights and have never heard a flight attendant have to do anything like that

When deplaning both my wife and I had to push our way into their group to get off the plane as the people in the back kept trying to push past everyone to get off the plane as soon as possible.

Once off the plane their tour group stopped immediately outside the gate forming a barrier that to anyone else trying to get off the plane.

While waiting for our luggage several people pushed in front of us to stand waiting for their bags. So I pushed them aside so I could reach my bag

There were also plenty of other cases at various locations where a tour group would fill up the entire sidewalk (up to 7 people wide) with no regard for people trying to move in the opposite direction of their group. I have no qualms about cutting my own way through but I vastly prefer to share the sidewalk

Its unfortunate on many levels but if we see a large chinese tour group we try and avoid them and that area if at all possible.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I think I might almost enjoy that. I could act on all my antisocial tendencies, and I'd be acting normal. I have the benefit of size for pushing through a wall of Chinese.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I think I might almost enjoy that. I could act on all my antisocial tendencies, and I'd be acting normal. I have the benefit of size for pushing through a wall of Chinese.
Indeed. I would do my best Thunder lips impression -"Out of my way worms!"

It sounds like the Chinese are quickly becoming the new "Ugly Americans" in the tourist scene.

Feb 4, 2009
I just heard from my Sister who visited a friend of theirs who works in China that people outside of cities in China are amazed at how white she is. She said its not unusual for a woman to ask her what foundation she uses or grab her hand and rub with a wet finger to see if the white comes off her.
She also said when the two of them & their Daughters went to a salon the women couldn't figure out which kids belonged to which mother. Admittedly my Niece doesn't look like my Sister but her friends kid has the same skin & hair as her mother.
They also said their hair was softer than they expected.
My Sisters friend teaches English, she is fluent in Chinese dialect of the area.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
yeah, i've seen the same thing. People in Asia also hate China tourists....well those that aren't in the tourism business. They also hate Indians. In Europe, they hate German tourists.

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
I know language barriers can be an issue so I don't begrudge them their tour groups but its the shear size of the groups and how they can behave in them thats problematic. We ran into several issues during our recent trip to Australia

We were at the Blue Mountains enjoying a view of the 3 sisters when a low roar came up behind us. We, and the maybe 15 other people there, turned and saw a tidal wave of humanity descending down on us as two massive tour buses disgorged their cargo. A single tour guide was talking loudly into a loudspeaker so that the entire group could hear her - which was impressive given how loudly everyone in the group was talking to eachother.

Everyone else quickly left the area as their tour group size was completely disproportionate to the size of the viewing area and as people in the group basically elbowed aside the few who tried to remain at the site a few seconds longer

We also had the misfortune of sharing a plane with a large group that had probably close to half the seats on our 100 seat ERJ-190 flight. During boarding they kept trying to mob the gate agent and paid no attention to boarding groups. Once seated I came to the realization that probably 1/3 of them area going to die from lung related issues due to the sear volume of throat clearing and hawking of phlegm that was going on. Many also seemed to take no notice that people were already in their seats as they pushed and pulled on as many seats as they could at any opportunity.

When landing we had to stop quite a distance from the terminal while taxiing and, despite the preemptive announcement by the flight attendant, much of the group got up and started standing in the aisles and getting bags out. The initial admonishing by the flight attendants went unheeded until the head flight attendant got over the intercom and said "NO NO NO - You have to sit down!" I've been on more than a few flights and have never heard a flight attendant have to do anything like that

When deplaning both my wife and I had to push our way into their group to get off the plane as the people in the back kept trying to push past everyone to get off the plane as soon as possible.

Once off the plane their tour group stopped immediately outside the gate forming a barrier that to anyone else trying to get off the plane.

While waiting for our luggage several people pushed in front of us to stand waiting for their bags. So I pushed them aside so I could reach my bag

There were also plenty of other cases at various locations where a tour group would fill up the entire sidewalk (up to 7 people wide) with no regard for people trying to move in the opposite direction of their group. I have no qualms about cutting my own way through but I vastly prefer to share the sidewalk

Its unfortunate on many levels but if we see a large chinese tour group we try and avoid them and that area if at all possible.

201503_1153_iaggh.jpg

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I just heard from my Sister who visited a friend of theirs who works in China that people outside of cities in China are amazed at how white she is. She said its not unusual for a woman to ask her what foundation she uses or grab her hand and rub with a wet finger to see if the white comes off her.
She also said when the two of them & their Daughters went to a salon the women couldn't figure out which kids belonged to which mother. Admittedly my Niece doesn't look like my Sister but her friends kid has the same skin & hair as her mother.
They also said their hair was softer than they expected.
My Sisters friend teaches English, she is fluent in Chinese dialect of the area.

You know what they say: White people all look alike. :D

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
I was at my bank today; there was a short line … just one lady in front of me, an Asian lady.
It was obvious she was more than just a little irritated … she was trying to exchange yen for dollars.

She asked the teller, ‘Why it change? Yesterday, I get two hunat dolla
fo yen. Today I only get hunat eighty? Why it change?’
The teller shrugged his shoulders and said, ‘Fluctuations.’
The Asian lady says, ‘Fluc you white people too!’:D

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
This all might be true and all, but come on.

They make some pretty god damn good food at the ol' takeaway.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
The coughing thing is so true. Last group of Chinese I was around, I'd say about 90% of them sounded like they were dealing with tuberculosis. Even the younger ones were constantly hacking, coughing, and looking for somewhere to spit.

I feel bad for them, my father had COPD before he died and I know how hard life can be when it's hard to breathe. Poor people. :(

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I was at my bank today; there was a short line … just one lady in front of me, an Asian lady.
It was obvious she was more than just a little irritated … she was trying to exchange yen for dollars.

I confess, I loled

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
So if you said the same thing about black people during Katrina you would get banned. Or you can easily say all American people are savages for stomping each other over a discounted TV on Black Friday at Walmart.

You see how stupid using stereotypes can be?

China is rapidly coming out of poverty in the last 20 years, your western manners/expectations are developed over time, and built upon wealth.

There is a transition period from poor -> hood rich -> rich. The first generation of riches are not going to be educated, well mannered like you expect them to be. Culture/manner is cultivated over time. That's why old money people/descendants have the best manners. Poor immigrants that came to America 150 years ago didn't have any manners either.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
IDK. I've never heard stories like that about Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, etc. Granted, they probably don't represent a very high percentage of the tourist/immigrant population and every group is going to have its share of rude, uncouth people. So maybe it's just coincidence. But it's good to hear these sorts of anecdotes since if or when you do encounter this sort of behavior, you at least know to not take it personally.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001

Yeah that didn't happen.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
IDK. I've never heard stories like that about Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, etc. Granted, they probably don't represent a very high percentage of the tourist/immigrant population and every group is going to have its share of rude, uncouth people. So maybe it's just coincidence. But it's good to hear these sorts of anecdotes since if or when you do encounter this sort of behavior, you at least know to not take it personally.

:thumbsup:

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
You know what they say: White people all look alike. :D
Being a white man in Asia is great! The whiter your skin the more attention you get. At times, I miss living in Asia.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
In Europe, they hate German tourists.

I wonder if thats changing a bit. While we were in Paris waiting to get some night pictures of the Eiffel Tower I watched the souvenir sellers. While every Caucasian was approached and hounded in different languages they all completely 100% avoided asian groups\people and blacks - even if they themselves were asian or black

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
So if you said the same thing about black people during Katrina you would get banned. Or you can easily say all American people are savages for stomping each other over a discounted TV on Black Friday at Walmart.

You see how stupid using stereotypes can be?

China is rapidly coming out of poverty in the last 20 years, your western manners/expectations are developed over time, and built upon wealth.

There is a transition period from poor -> hood rich -> rich. The first generation of riches are not going to be educated, well mannered like you expect them to be. Culture/manner is cultivated over time. That's why old money people/descendants have the best manners. Poor immigrants that came to America 150 years ago didn't have any manners either.

Are you for real?

Since when you have to be wealthy and developed "Western manners/expectations" to know NOT to do these nasty things:

1. Defecating/peeing in public
2. Taking all the foods at the buffets and throwing away most of them
2. Destroying ancient relics at the well know tourist sites
3. Spitting in public
4. Cutting in lines
5. Being so crazy loud and obnoxious
6. Ignoring the local culture and people
7. Throwing hot water in the face of the flight attendant
8. Trying to open the emergency exit while the airplane is in mid air
9. Smoking where it is not allowed

and on and on and on.

Even the chinese government itself is cracking down on chinese bad behavior = http://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...lamps-down-on-chinese-tourists-behaving-badly

Liu remembers bringing a group to Hawaii during the Mid-Autumn Festival, a holiday celebrated by ethnic Chinese. In their luggage, the tour group members carried the traditional treat eaten during this holiday: mooncakes.

Liu says that when customs officers discovered the cakes, they said they'd have to confiscate them. And if it happened again, they could be barred from entering the U.S. But that's not where the story ends.

"While I was communicating with the customs officers, my group proceeded to eat all of the moon cakes," Liu says. "When the officers saw this, they were at first embarrassed. But then they got angry ... when they realized that the tourists had just eaten all the evidence.

Excuses, excuses, and more excuses.

Speaking of poverty, there are million and million of chinese live with less than $2 USD per day (United Nations standard of extreme poverty).

Last edited:

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010

I would never group the Japanese with the Southeast Asian people. They are an anomaly. They are the most POLITE Asians.