Modder proves SimCity can run offline indefinitely

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
More lies from EA revealed . . . as if anyone is really surprised:

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/modder-proves-simcity-can-run-offline-indefinitely-20130314/

In fact, it actually improves the game in some ways. City populations are actually tracked correctly and you can edit outside of your city boundaries. Those additional edits are also saved when you reconnect.

This revelation will put EA and Maxis in a difficult position. They’ve been adamant all along that the game won’t work without a server connection and offloads a “significant amount of the calculations.” That’s clearly not true, so why has it been used as a reason to explain why an always-connected game was necessary?

How sweet is that?

Thanks EA, I knew you had really gone downhill, but this is a new level . . .

Last edited:

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Jimmy_bieber_Popcorn_cu-thumb-350x197-14878.gif

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007
you can edit outside of your city boundaries
He just found the soon to be released DLC :sneaky:

Seriously every day that goes by the controversy on simcity just seems to keep going worse

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I'm not sure what he just did other than bulldoze a city, but um, if its allowed, then its must have been thought into the game mechanics, unless he exploited something to do it. Care to explain what exactly he did as I don't have the game and don't understand the mechanics of it.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
If I understand correctly, he went into spectator mode in someone else's city, and bulldozed it.

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
I'm not sure what he just did other than bulldoze a city, but um, if its allowed, then its must have been thought into the game mechanics, unless he exploited something to do it. Care to explain what exactly he did as I don't have the game and don't understand the mechanics of it.
He went to someone's city and bulldozed it to the ground. You can visit someone's city but you can't do anything in it.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
EA: "But.. But.... you can't SAVE without the cloud... so you have to play online"
<troll face>

Not sure my sarcasm meter is working today . . . but from the article:

The video above shows the game being played offline. The modder states that this can be done for as long as you like without issues. The only real downside being you can’t save the game because it utilizes cloud saves. However, if you reconnect the game it does save, so you can play all day then just go online to save your progress at the end of a session.

It even saves changes edits outside of ordinary boundaries.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
If I understand correctly, he went into spectator mode in someone else's city, and bulldozed it.

That is correct, however, his concern as should be the concern of any player, is the possibility of someone figuring out how to save the bulldozed city. It's just a matter of time before someone figures it out.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
:hmm:
*looks for old sim city 2k disk

If simcity 5 was $29.99 I'd fork over for it. $59.99? Hell to the no.