[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 383 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Awesome! I need more stuff like this. Got anything else?

Unlocked my KV-1 last night. I am tempted to use the free xp to get a better gun but i feel guilty using it up. Is there any reason I should be rushing to unlock the KV-1S due to potential patches?

There's some useful scouting stuff on tazilon's site: he's arguably the best cougar (vk2801) driver. http://www.tazilon.net/index.html It also applies to a lot of scouting in general.

There's other useful guides sprinkled about in forum posts, i'll see what I can dig up when I get home. There's a lot of very specific guides for individual tanks too that probably won't be too helpful for you at tier 5-6, unfortunately.

I'd save up your free exp. The KV-1 gains exp quickly, and later on you'll want to save up for 60k modules for tanks that are otherwise terribly painful to drive stock (patton for example).

Also don't rush into the KV-1s. It's a difficult tank to drive for new players, I'd recommend the KV-3 more than the 1s. The KV-1S really punishes you for screwing up a shot and it's really painful to drive stock. Researching the 122 from other tanks (KV-3, IS, etc) really help.

Thought it was only on base xp?

they revised their statement and said it worked with premiums and doubles and whatnot, not sure about 3x though. 50k base exp is like 5 hours of playing.... would kill myself if I had to do that.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Awesome! I need more stuff like this. Got anything else?

Unlocked my KV-1 last night. I am tempted to use the free xp to get a better gun but i feel guilty using it up. Is there any reason I should be rushing to unlock the KV-1S due to potential patches?
Adding to what Yoga said above, use free XP wisely! The stupidest way to use it is to buy the final upgrade to get to the next tank. Reason: the best tank is a fully or nearly fully upgraded tank, and the worst is a stock tank. Having a higher tier tank just makes you fight higher tier enemies, so it's often a wash. Using free XP to get to the next tank, which will probably suck until you unlock the better gun and turret, is not usually a good idea.

The best way to use free XP is at the start of a new tank, like where you already have several upgrades researched, but you can't mount them because you don't have the tracks. If you must use free XP, this is the time to use it. That free XP will significantly increase the fun of playing that tank.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
for sure. A lot of tanks are just plain and simply terrible to play stock. You want to save your free exp for the usual track + turret + gun combo.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
sweet 3x weekend

I think I'm actually enjoying this one, normally the influx of idiots would have made me rage quit by now. :$

The scouting page that was linked a few back is a really good resource, too.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
my wins have come fairly quickly, i just can't buy a win with the T62a for some reason , my last tank i need the triple for

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Well T54E1, I free xp'd the gun. The T69 gun just can't cut it and the tier 9 gun barely does. I tell you what though, watch out if I flank you. This gun can clip tier 8 tanks and I made a mess of an IS8 with just two shots hitting.

It's slow to aim but I don't have my crew fully trained up yet and I don't have my modules on, the gun takes up all the spare room I had with the load weight. Once I get the tracks I'll have my V-Stab and GLD and maybe vents or wet ammo rack on there. Probably vents though. I'll use the crew perk safe stowage for this guy, getting racked with an autoloader basically means the fight is over for you.

So far it's ok, but that's due to basically being stock. I like the tanks I face since I was getting basically the same MM as the T69. At least now I can pen tanks from the side without needing gold ammo.

boozie

Oct 12, 2006
The best way to use free XP is at the start of a new tank, like where you already have several upgrades researched, but you can't mount them because you don't have the tracks. If you must use free XP, this is the time to use it. That free XP will significantly increase the fun of playing that tank.

I used 2k out of my 7k free xp to get me the 122 gun. Once I realized I had to get the tracks upgraded for any non 57mm gun I splurged a little bit.

I think I will save the rest of it for now and just try to enjoy the KV-1 and get it to elite. I learned the hard way that vents don't transfer from any tank to any tank but it's not a huge deal.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I'm up to 200k free xp now. I use it now and then but I seem to build it up faster than way back when. I remember never having enough of it.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I'm up to 200k free xp now. I use it now and then but I seem to build it up faster than way back when. I remember never having enough of it.

I use mine to research tier 8 or 9 modules right off the bat. Each set of tracks + turret + gun is like 150k exp, depending on the level of the gun. A tier X gun is like 64k exp so that eats dramatically into whatever you have.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I used 2k out of my 7k free xp to get me the 122 gun. Once I realized I had to get the tracks upgraded for any non 57mm gun I splurged a little bit.

I think I will save the rest of it for now and just try to enjoy the KV-1 and get it to elite. I learned the hard way that vents don't transfer from any tank to any tank but it's not a huge deal.

Vents do transfer, but it will cost you 10g. If you want premium time too, one of the cheapest ways to get gold and premium time is via codes on ebay.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Vents do transfer, but it will cost you 10g. If you want premium time too, one of the cheapest ways to get gold and premium time is via codes on ebay.

They don't transfer between tank classes, like he said ;) that's why there are 3 classes of them. Gonna have to check out ebay for codes, thanks. Didn't think of that.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
They don't transfer between tank classes, like he said ;) that's why there are 3 classes of them. Gonna have to check out ebay for codes, thanks. Didn't think of that.

I'd think buying codes, not only against the rules, could get you banned.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Why? I've bought/sold close to 30 codes right here on Anandtech, and have never had an issue.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
So what do we need to know to be sure we are not getting scammed?

Now that I think about it, I'm not really sure. I was really only dealing with codes up to around $20, so I haven't very careful about it. I guess it IS possible to be given a used code, but I've been working on honor lol.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Victory!
Battle: Fisherman's Bay Saturday, August 17, 2013 4:04:35 PM
Vehicle: T54E1
Experience received: 1,483
Credits received: 54,372
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Top Gun, Sniper, Spartan, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

Inflicted 6,488 damage, 7 kills and ending with just 148 health I think and took 13 hits. So far only really have the gun and second engine so it's sluggish but this gun puts a hurt on people. I really do enjoy the American autoloaders. Looking forward to the T57 Heavy.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Now that I think about it, I'm not really sure. I was really only dealing with codes up to around $20, so I haven't very careful about it. I guess it IS possible to be given a used code, but I've been working on honor lol.

How does this even work, where do you get 'codes' for less than you can sell them, and how is WoT prevented from catching and banning - and isn't it against the rules?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
been watching http://www.twitch.tv/wglna/. The top players playing for 100k this weekend.

I didn't. When I saw a rumor that it was the 'pro gaming' crowd pressuring Wargaming to get rid of the t502 and nerf arty, it reminded me they're trying to hard to do 'pro gaming'.

They're trying to bribe people to watch their 'pro gaming' stuff by giving away premium tanks. Not too interested in supporting that.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I didn't. When I saw a rumor that it was the 'pro gaming' crowd pressuring Wargaming to get rid of the t502 and nerf arty, it reminded me they're trying to hard to do 'pro gaming'.

They're trying to bribe people to watch their 'pro gaming' stuff by giving away premium tanks. Not too interested in supporting that.
LMAO, bribe? It is an incentive to watch. I find it is very interesting to watch the top players play in this format.

In before being called a Wargaming troll poster.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
...I need to walk away for a bit. I've been getting rolled tonight, but most recently I had the pleasure of having Kurt1966 on my team. I have no idea who he is, but he has 1135 battles with his is6, and has won about 465 of those, by my math. The maximum he has destroyed in a battle is THREE, in an su100y. He has bought TEN premium tanks, and played matches in zero regular vehicles (except the t1s, of course). But last of all, he is why I'm taking a breather on my nightly quest for thirty kills.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
what's a good file sharing site? free, easy to use, etc. I started looking and ugh.

Where I can easily put a screenshot or replay and get a link to post.