[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 343 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sohaltang

Apr 13, 2013
Just signed up tonight. Pretty fun game. Getting 100+fps maxed on my 7970. Looks like I need gold already for garage slots. What's the best way? Buy nv codes from ebay or just buy from the website. Any other tips?

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Only buy from the main site. No other site can actually sell gold, and I don't think there's a point paying for other people's codes.

There may be many codes you can get on a new account to get several low-tier premium tanks along with credits, if you don't want them you can sell them and you'll have their garage slot. These codes are "free", just gotta search for them around the net and see what works on the main site.

Sohaltang

Apr 13, 2013
Only buy from the main site. No other site can actually sell gold, and I don't think there's a point paying for other people's codes.

There may be many codes you can get on a new account to get several low-tier premium tanks along with credits, if you don't want them you can sell them and you'll have their garage slot. These codes are "free", just gotta search for them around the net and see what works on the main site.

For about 10-12$ yu can buy the Nvidia codes that they claim is a 25$ value. Month of premium and 2050 gold. Or another code that's about 8$ gets you:

New accounts

1 week premium

1000 gold

M22 Locust plus free slot

Existing and new accounts

1 week premium

1000 gold

100000 credits

I can't find any free codes but I would love to get one if you have a link. Plan on playing all day tommorrow.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I must be on the opposing side. Rocked a 68% win ratio this weekend.

I see you joined revolt. I guess I should have gone to those meetings to see why they revolted from the legion (I find the irony hillarious). Are ya'll still on the legion TS? I just want to know where I can find you when I get back into playing tanks (whenever that will be).

I played all of 5 games this weekend, and although I won 4 of them, this game has the uncanny ability to just piss me the fuck off. For example when I played my 704, I got 2 bounces on the sides of tanks (yeah I know, learn 2 aim), and then every single shot i hit was in the low 600s. Sure I still did over 3k damage, but FFS quite a few tanks were left with less 200hp, that if I would have gotten even an "average" roll would have been dead.

I just hope the nerf to arty in the next patch is enough to make playing tier 10s viable again. I wish they would just double arty ammo costs and repair costs, and continue to do so until the number of arty players balances out to about 1-2 per game. No MM changes nor arty nerfs required. Just pure economic incentive

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
what happened to revolt/legion? =)
my friends just joined havok, been debating on joining a clan, i'm currently in ego but only because i'm old school and used to play cs with them back in the day

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Havok is top dog. You must roll with some pretty good players :)

I did ok over the weekend considering it was a 5x and been living back up in T8+ again. Ran around 58%.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
nah i've pretty much just pubbed the entire 2 years, i don't have time to dedicate 3+ nights a week to clanwars lol

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I see you joined revolt. I guess I should have gone to those meetings to see why they revolted from the legion (I find the irony hillarious). Are ya'll still on the legion TS? I just want to know where I can find you when I get back into playing tanks (whenever that will be).

I assumed you left this game for an extended vacation.

Volt left the legion because of perceived second citizen class (which administration vehemently denied), Volt was asked to do things for Havok with little regard to helping Volt, etc etc etc. Combine that with the flap over the US landing event and Volt REQUIRED to stand down to Forge for a NON clan war event was still a recent memory. And finally, Havok asked Jam to step down as CO of Volt due to chip placements. Jam did step down, and very soon after Volt did a clan wide vote to leave the Legion.

So, where did I come in? If you really want to read it: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index...ing/page__st__3900__pid__4382175#entry4382175. Basically, I aired dirty laundry for better or worse. I pissed Lion off something fierce. He PM'ed me calling me a liar, which I basically replied to in kind. Whatever, what is done is done.

But you know what is interesting, I was very used to platooning with 59+%'ers and I am now platooning with 52-55%'ers. Their attitude is just plain better in playing and losing or winning. I might be losing a bit more often (still winning more than 60% and that is still progress for me). Lot less stress, a lot more fun.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i need to platoon up with you guys and get my win % up lol
to many suicides in the cromwell (its so fun ramming shit)+ t59 since it gets credits either way jacked up my win % :)

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Once I got to Tier 5 consumables were used.

thanks to all you who responded (and to all who didn't mess it up with p2win comments).. I was leaning towards starting to use some in the higher tiers.. I need something to increase my skills (err.. that not how i meant it) i seem to have Platteued on my skills.. i cant seem to break that 50-54% area on wins.. or improve my efficiency score.. Something has to be key to improving some way.. maybe staying in the fight a bit longer will help.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
thanks to all you who responded (and to all who didn't mess it up with p2win comments).. I was leaning towards starting to use some in the higher tiers.. I need something to increase my skills (err.. that not how i meant it) i seem to have Platteued on my skills.. i cant seem to break that 50-54% area on wins.. or improve my efficiency score.. Something has to be key to improving some way.. maybe staying in the fight a bit longer will help.

some replays will help. not awesome ones, just ones where you play normally.

Generally where I think people plateau when they play a defensive role. They aren't aggressive and don't push flanks and don't take risks. They don't recognize where all the tanks are and thus don't understand where holes in flanks are. They wait for people to come by and are pretty good at playing PAB and can angle tanks well, but they don't control the flow of the battle and end up being very average. I know I fall into the same trap sometimes because my team is SO bad I can't count on them for backup or to do anything to the enemies I light up.

Good players I see generally flow all over the place. They retreat when they're losing, they fill in gaps in defenses, they take opportunistic charges and shots at enemy flanks and keep their guns firing.

Most important thing is just to get your gun into the fight. I yell at my friend (the one I platoon with) all the time for not doing shit in his tank. He averages around 600 damage in tier 7 and 8 tanks per game when I average 1.5k-2.5k (depending on which tank).

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005

i dont' see anything as p2win except gold rounds, i wish they left that as it was instead of letting you use credits to buy it, everyone has gold now

i still don't use them tho since i mainly pub

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
i dont' see anything as p2win except gold rounds, i wish they left that as it was instead of letting you use credits to buy it, everyone has gold now

i still don't use them tho since i mainly pub

Gold rounds for credits has fundamentally changed the game. Tanks which used to be feared because of their armor are now paper. Most sad is the German Ferdinand that used to be a true beast at T8. Now tier 6s will commonly go right through the front thanks to the proliferation of gold rounds for credits.

Armor is now all about angles. If you cannot ricochet a round, you're likely to get penetrated. There are a few exceptions on a tier-by-tier basis. Super-P and KV-5 still have worthy armor, as does the AT-2 (British) and the KV-1. The IS-6 has a strip of false armor on the sides that baffles many people and will eat rounds.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
yea that's what i mean, its just retardedly stupid now
the maus is completely useless, to slow to do anything
and gets penned by everything

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Gold rounds for credits has fundamentally changed the game. Tanks which used to be feared because of their armor are now paper. Most sad is the German Ferdinand that used to be a true beast at T8. Now tier 6s will commonly go right through the front thanks to the proliferation of gold rounds for credits.

Armor is now all about angles. If you cannot ricochet a round, you're likely to get penetrated. There are a few exceptions on a tier-by-tier basis. Super-P and KV-5 still have worthy armor, as does the AT-2 (British) and the KV-1. The IS-6 has a strip of false armor on the sides that baffles many people and will eat rounds.

err, ferdinand's front was always very weak. The only hard part about that tank is the casemate. I've penetrated it with either the 88 or the 75 before fairly effortlessly back when I was grinding lower tier tanks. You shouldn't think everything that penetrates you is "gold round" now. The sides of the tank are so weak if you angle slightly you're liable to get penned as well. Even the part that's 200mm has two strips that are <50mm and can be penned from close range. (the little angled piece in the front under the headlights) Don't know if they removed it, but it seems unlikely as they're so small. Ferd is still beast when hulled down and is impossible to pen for even some tier 9 guns.

Ferdinand Lower Glacis = 80mm at 35 degrees from vertical

Effective protection versus AP = 90mm
Effective protection versus APCR/APDS = 87mm
Effective protection versus HE/HEAT = 98mm

Basically instapen if you don't hide it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The larger issue seems to be, is premium ammo legitimate at all? 'Pay to win' seems about the most controversial design issue, and it led to the premium ammo.

It would seem the game should either have people using standard or premium ammo generally and be balanced for that.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
For about 10-12$ yu can buy the Nvidia codes that they claim is a 25$ value. Month of premium and 2050 gold. Or another code that's about 8$ gets you:

New accounts

1 week premium

1000 gold

M22 Locust plus free slot

Existing and new accounts

1 week premium

1000 gold

100000 credits

I can't find any free codes but I would love to get one if you have a link. Plan on playing all day tommorrow.

I assume all of these sales are violations of the terms they're offered under.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

You probably shouldn't much be able to break that in legitimate play - you're one of 15 in the match. Good platoons can do better, up to 20% of the team.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
I read WOT holds the record for most players online. EA, Ubi and others must be kicking themselves for missing out. Now no one dares to compete so Wargaming is relaxed about WOT. Too bad no one is going to roll up on WOT with Frostbite 3 engine, action 1st agenda and a non communistic approach to the game.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The larger issue seems to be, is premium ammo legitimate at all? 'Pay to win' seems about the most controversial design issue, and it led to the premium ammo.

It would seem the game should either have people using standard or premium ammo generally and be balanced for that.

I'm not sure what you're asking here. Gold Ammo was initially only widely used in clan wars and only available via gold, which is effectively cash. Now they're available for credits so everyone can use it.

You can pay 0 dollars and have a full gold ammo loadout. Even the term gold ammo now is wrong. It's silver premium rounds. How is that "pay to win" without the "pay" part? If anything, wargaming has effectively removed the "pay to win" part with letting you purchase premium consumables and ammo with credits when you previously can't, leveling the playing field for the elite clan member vs the good pubbie that plays for free. Both can have a 100% HEAT/APCR load out with premium consumables should they choose to run it whereas previously only the hardcore clan elite could.

The only "pay" part now is the premium time, which lets you get a bit more exp and credits. And emblems, which I think are gold only, is only cosmetic. Even camoflauge can be gotten in 30 day intervals using purely credits.

I guess converting exp could be an advantage as well if you want to get down into the nitty gritty. But that's purely optional and hardly guarantees good performance.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm not sure what you're asking here. Gold Ammo was initially only widely used in clan wars and only available via gold, which is effectively cash. Now they're available for credits so everyone can use it.

You can pay 0 dollars and have a full gold ammo loadout. Even the term gold ammo now is wrong. It's silver premium rounds. How is that "pay to win" without the "pay" part? If anything, wargaming has effectively removed the "pay to win" part with letting you purchase premium consumables and ammo with credits when you previously can't, leveling the playing field for the elite clan member vs the good pubbie that plays for free. Both can have a 100% HEAT/APCR load out with premium consumables should they choose to run it whereas previously only the hardcore clan elite could.

The only "pay" part now is the premium time, which lets you get a bit more exp and credits. And emblems, which I think are gold only, is only cosmetic. Even camoflauge can be gotten in 30 day intervals using purely credits.

I guess converting exp could be an advantage as well if you want to get down into the nitty gritty. But that's purely optional and hardly guarantees good performance.

What I'm asking is, is the whole creation of these two ammo tiers good game balance?

It was one thing when limited almost entirely to clan wars and most said 'that's fine, they have to make money', but it's now affecting gameplay a lot more that it's for credits.

What began as a limited thing is now pretty different.

When I reference 'pay to win', I'm referring to the issue that 'free to play' games have that as they want to tempt people to spend, they are tempted to give too much advantage in winning the game to those who do. I'm not saying that has or hasn't happened with this in WoT, I'm mentioning it as part of the history as a concern for premium ammo when it was only for money, not credits.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Huh?

Not sure what you are talking about communistic.

Whoever is the equivalent of Stalin at Wargaming has decided that players don't get any say in map selection or game modes. Since they picked up the Guinness WR for most players online they effectively lost the excuses for forcefeeding maps and "game modes".

I will admit that they surprised me when they toned down on p2w. I did not see that coming, I thought the golden ammo, golden chocolate/coffee and golden fuel would never change. However, since then they haven't really done anything.

I hope you all like the game as it is because you are foolish if you expect real changes that go beyond adding a dog house or placing garage/vehicles "outdoors".

Gameplay will suffer because WOT doesn't have a competitor and nothing will force them to deviate from their formula. From their perspective game is done, now it's just a matter of fine tuning.

WOW is gonna fail and probably die because of War Thunder, too bad for the WOT userbase that an equivalent of War Thunder doesn't exist to ensure evolution of the game. Sad truth is that they have monopoly and they know it.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
There is always someone out there that is going to build a better mouse trap at some point in time. It is inevitable.