[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 323 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hope this is not frowned upon here but you guys have a fairly healthy thread here for the game and thought I'd post here instead of elsewhere. Just picked up a new Nvidia card and got the bonus World of Tanks credit:

"7500 Gold & 1 Month Premium Invite: 2500 Gold"

I will not be using it and thought I'd offer it cheap (well, cheap to me) if anybody was interested. Says it's worth $50. Just shoot me a PM.
If I'm reading the offer correctly, the bonus code(s) is split among 3 games: HAWKEN, PlanetSide 2 and World of Tanks.

The world of tanks component is 2,500 gold and 1 month of premium time. I'd say that part is worth about $20 at retail. Gold can be bought for $50/12,000 (buying less is crazy), or $0.0042 per gold. I forget the cost of 1 month of premium, but they sell 6 months in the gift shop for $57. So the value is around $0.0042 x 2500 = 57/6 = $20.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
since unicrums make up less than 1 percent of the playing population, how would said unicrums ever find a match? I'm tired of reading posts from shitty players saying WOT needs a skill based MM.

heres an idea for you shitty whiners:
less than 1k eff you cannot play anything higher than a tier5 (exception for premiums)
less than 1400k eff you play 6-8
over 1400k no limits

skill based MM implemented. for the record, my win7 is 1826, old eff is 1745,and win rate of 57 percent.

I could play my tier 10s again and not want to cry myself to sleep if that was implemented.

On the other hand I had two steam roll games yesterday. The only difference between mine and Genx's is that I was on the winning side. The best part was besides my platoon, the other team was much better than the retards on my team.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If I'm reading the offer correctly, the bonus code(s) is split among 3 games: HAWKEN, PlanetSide 2 and World of Tanks.

The world of tanks component is 2,500 gold and 1 month of premium time. I'd say that part is worth about $20 at retail. Gold can be bought for $50/12,000 (buying less is crazy), or $0.0042 per gold. I forget the cost of 1 month of premium, but they sell 6 months in the gift shop for $57. So the value is around $0.0042 x 2500 = 57/6 = $20.

It's not really fair to use higher volume pricing only.

A month of premium is about $15, and 3,000 gold is $15, so the value is $~27.

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I don't see why all the bickering is needed.

Genx87 feels that MM should use stats for balancing teams to avoid the chance that random distribution causes lopsided teams.

I don't agree with him but I don't see any 'tin foil' to his position.

I'd like to see the game hide people's stats altogether. I'm so sick of xvm users whining about percentages early in the match.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
less than 1k eff you cannot play anything higher than a tier5 (exception for premiums)

No damn exception please. Way too many grinding bot/afkers only play their tier 8 premiums. I wish to god that those tanks multipliers only worked for damage done. If you don't do crap then you still lose money in the darn premium tanks.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999

Derr then you might as well look at the crappiest payment option to make the package look expensive.
I'd like to see the game hide people's stats altogether. I'm so sick of xvm users whining about percentages early in the match.

I would like the reverse. Include XVM in the general game so bads know they are freaking horrible instead of "ignorance is bliss". I got into an argument with a guy who had a single digit wn7 score. Do you know how horrible you have to be to get that low? And this guy was telling me I didn't know what I was talking about as we lost the match cause the idiot refused to cap. It's okay though because he killed two tanks while losing (he finished them off).

Last edited:

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Derr then you might as well look at the crappiest payment option to make the package look expensive.

I would like the reverse. Include XVM in the general game so bads know they are freaking horrible instead of "ignorance is bliss". I got into an argument with a guy who had a single digit wn7 score. Do you know how horrible you have to be to get that low? And this guy was telling me I didn't know what I was talking about as we lost the match cause the idiot refused to cap. It's okay though because he killed two tanks while losing (he finished them off).

It would be nice if WG would give the best person on each team a title, I guess based solely off win rate. So for example the best person was the "commander", and not only did it add this to your team chat, but also gave you a different color. This wouldn't infer you any special powers, but it might have the effect that newbs might listen to you. It could also of course make people want to be better so they could be the "commander" at some point.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
XVM ruins a lot of games when you have people on a bad team and they up and quit. Even though the game turns out close they drive right into the lake right off the bat.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
XVM ruins a lot of games when you have people on a bad team and they up and quit. Even though the game turns out close they drive right into the lake right off the bat.

Never actually seen that happen. I've seen more morons and bots drive off lakes than XVM players outright quitting.

People who use XVM typically are already better than the average, because they understand that if they're good players the team has a better chance to win. Instead of "HURRRRR I CANT WIN BECAUSE MY TEAM SUX HURRRRR"

yeah when I kill the remaining 4 tanks on my team by being good it helps my stats just a little bit.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

I'm pretty sure I used the exact middle for both gold and premium time cost, while you used the worst case scenario for both. I don't understand your definition of "fair."

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

What does 'derr' mean? I hope something other than the thing an asshole says rudely.

No, I looked at the comprable pricing for the same-size purchase. Apples and apples.

If one store sells a 12 ounce drink for 99 cents, and another offers it as a free bonus, you don't say 'the 10 gallong jug is $19.99' as the only measure of value.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm pretty sure I used the exact middle for both gold and premium time cost, while you used the worst case scenario for both. I don't understand your definition of "fair."

What I mean by fair is using the size closest to what you would pay.

They offer volume discounts; but if you didn't want to buy volume, you pay more.

Imagine there's theme park that charges $40 for a day or $100 for an annual pass.

Then when offered a free 1-day pass, is it more fair to mention the normal $40 value, or to calculate the per-day cost of an annual pass?

I'm fine with mentioning both - but the similar size should be mentioned.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I bought a T69. Pulled a crew with 100% BIA from my T26 SP. Golded them up to 100% and let them go explore and experience the battlefields. In stock form the tank is rather lame. Even when using gold. I now got tracks, best gun, radio, and now on second engine and working towards the third engine. Running Vents, Vert. stabilizer, and GLD.

Tank is not as easy to play as the T71. It requires more attention and concentration then it. With only four shots instead of the six and a longer reload you need to really think out ahead more and plan things. Its taking me longer to get used to the T69. It can be so deadly though. I'm enjoying it but haven't mastered it yet. Add gold shells to this baby, if you can afford the high cost, and its a nasty DPS machine that penetrates everything with that last gun.

Biggest draw back? The four shot gun and longer reload. Think of it as taking a four shooter pistol to a six shooter gun fight and you'll get the idea. You rely on your team a lot and as we all know how that works out. LOL Also my crew is 100% BIA and now working on their second line of skills/perks. If I were to do it again I think I'd have gotten Repairs instead after BIA. This tank gets tracked a lot. Repair kit isn't enough. I'll start them training repair next.

Those are my early impressions so far.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Had the pleasure of being in a platoon with Lurker last night when he got a kolabanov medal.

We were on Ensk, I was in my E2 shooting the fast 76mm, platoon mate was in a gold derpy M4, and Lurker was in his M6. We secured the East side and realized we were down to 5-6 tanks vs the world. Lurker continued to push with a support tank, the M4 and I turned around with a support tank.

We were losing the defense badly and it became just me against the world with Lurker capping. The seconds ticked by, I was playing ring around the ANYTHING GET IN THE WAY OF THE ENEMY GUNS. Eventually we realize we just might cap this out. I just had to keep resetting the cap. But I am beat to snot, and probably only good for one more reset. I wait until the cap is at 70 and go full speed to reset. I smack three different tanks and explode. Lurker caps it out for the win... alone.

Not quite as stupid as my kolobanovs. Nor as ridiculous as his first one.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
x2 crew training and 50% Gold and Credit Discount on Crew Training/Retraining!

and +50% credits on a bunch of tanks... just not on a sherman. PZIV still can derp away though.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Had the pleasure of being in a platoon with Lurker last night when he got a kolabanov medal.

We were on Ensk, I was in my E2 shooting the fast 76mm, platoon mate was in a gold derpy M4, and Lurker was in his M6. We secured the East side and realized we were down to 5-6 tanks vs the world. Lurker continued to push with a support tank, the M4 and I turned around with a support tank.

We were losing the defense badly and it became just me against the world with Lurker capping. The seconds ticked by, I was playing ring around the ANYTHING GET IN THE WAY OF THE ENEMY GUNS. Eventually we realize we just might cap this out. I just had to keep resetting the cap. But I am beat to snot, and probably only good for one more reset. I wait until the cap is at 70 and go full speed to reset. I smack three different tanks and explode. Lurker caps it out for the win... alone.

Not quite as stupid as my kolobanovs. Nor as ridiculous as his first one.

Those medals look great on paper until you find out how we got ours.

ddjkdg

Dec 22, 2001
Was playing in an absolute TC a week or two ago against a Red Sky team on Sand River. It was assault mode, so only a 10 minute timer and they were defending. After a few minutes we move in and start clearing them out. Clock ticks down and we get a couple guys on cap with a little over a minute left, and they only have one arty and a T57. The T57 resets before dying, then we find the last Obj 261 with 2 seconds left and can't kill him. Technically he "defended" the base and won singlehandedly against 7 of us so he gets a Kolobanov's for doing nothing.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Rebought the E100. God do I miss it. Such a beast in pub matches. Its not just about how much damage it does (which is still considerable), but also about how much punishment it takes. Had a game yesterday where I did 5700 damage and absorbed 9200 damage before dying. But we still lost.

Just played a pub match where I did 4k damage and took 5000 before dying. Angle the tank a bit and laugh when people bounce.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i thoguht you could buy gold rounds with credits ?
man i haven't played tanks since diablo 3 came out, starting to get back into it,
need a long ass grind for tier X mediums and TD's now ugh

still working on T25/2 which is a POS (almost want to give up as the american td's suck?)

and @ tier 9 on both french med/heavy lines right now

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
i thoguht you could buy gold rounds with credits ?
man i haven't played tanks since diablo 3 came out, starting to get back into it,
need a long ass grind for tier X mediums and TD's now ugh

still working on T25/2 which is a POS (almost want to give up as the american td's suck?)

and @ tier 9 on both french med/heavy lines right now

I too hated the T25/2. Surprisingly it made me play much more carefully and I have a great record with that tank. This was before credit premium rounds were available as well... the 2nd turret and the good gun makes the tank bearable. The T110E4 is still a nice tank but I've given up on that route as I don't feel like playing Tier 10s until they "fix" arty, and the T30 is not enticing enough for me to grind through the T28 prot.

I'd finish grinding the lorraine for the batchat if you can bear it. Batchat is probably the best tier 10 in the game right now.

I'm working through the american autoloader lines and the T-54 right now. Debating whether to buy the black prince or not though... I hated the churchfail7 and I shudder to think about how bad the black prince could be.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Rebought the E100. God do I miss it. Such a beast in pub matches. Its not just about how much damage it does (which is still considerable), but also about how much punishment it takes. Had a game yesterday where I did 5700 damage and absorbed 9200 damage before dying. But we still lost.

Just played a pub match where I did 4k damage and took 5000 before dying. Angle the tank a bit and laugh when people bounce.

You're pretty good in your E100. At least it goes slow enough where you can't get yourself into too much trouble early on (cough, lorraine, cough). Also epic win on Abby the other day, I really though we had lost that.

I have the E100 unlocked, but have never bought it. I might change my mind. I guess once they nerf the tier 5 derps my 4 skilled PzIV crew will need a new home, so an E100 wouldn't be a bad place for them to end up.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
You can get premium rounds with credits or gold.

T25/2 is fine and US TD's are very good.

it's gun should belong 2 tiers below where it is, every other tank in it's tier does way more damage. i have it fully upgraded but it's slow as a turtle, i'm having a really hard time trying to convince myself to complete this grind and make it to the t28 proto.......

ive played it pretty much hanging back and picking out targets that my teammates spot. it seems to be the only way to do anything in this tank. when it's at the top, i dread it as i can't carry anything and every tank is better than this on the MM. i prefer being @ the bottom or mid pack then people don't expect much