[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 321 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Do you have enough free space on the disk? Generally you should leave about 10% of the total disk space for swapping and such. I've never had that problem but that sounds more like an OS issue than world of tanks.

It definitely is the PC and not the game. It has about 5-10gb free, which is 1% or less but still more than usually causes problems.

Feb 19, 2009
Have you tried playing the E-100 as an E-75 angling wise...they share the same sloped front?

Still need a couple of millions to get the E-100, my brothers lured me into buying some tanks....3 modules on each costs :S *L*

E-75 is significantly tougher than E-100 frontal, because its lower plate is 130mm @ 60 degree slope, its around 232mm effective dead on. This quickly becomes very tough when its angled 30-35 degrees.

E-100 lower plate is 150mm @ 50 degrees, around ~215mm. It's also larger and easier to hit.

An angled E-75 is immune to all tier 7 tanks, and all tier 8 non-TD tanks. E-100 is still vulnerable to tier 8 HT with 225 pen guns, with above average pen rolls, and its frontal transmission is larger thus more prone to catching fire.

E-100 is better when you angle the tank 45 deg, and bait enemies to shoot your side hull, with the spaced armor, it becomes a magnet for 0 dmg penetrations.

I thought the E-75 was much more enjoyable to play than E-100, since its very mobile for a tank of that size/weight, and its armor is still effective versus ppl who shoot premium ammo. Its the only tier 9 HT that can really be immune to (with good angling/positioning) tier 7 and 8 enemies even when they shoot premium rounds.

Feb 19, 2009
For pubbing, would the E100 be better than the T110E5?

For pubbing, any slow tank is bad because it becomes completely team reliant, you are too slow to react to different flanks if your team is full of bads getting steamrolled on one side. With a fast tank, you can go and actually help them win their side.

But the major problem in high tier games are arty, multiple high tier arty means the entire match revolves around finding solid cover, if you move in the open in a slow tank you are going to die, moving in the open in a fast tank = much less chance of being hit by arty, as their cone of fire is tiny and a reposition to fire means their aim circle resets!

T110E5 is still a dominant tank even after all the recent additions.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
sounds like a consensus then, I'll go with the T110E5 if I feel like getting a tier 10 in the future. On the other hand, can't seem to get over 50% win rate in my T-54. I don't have the top tracks or engine (free exp'd the gun, got tired of the LB1), but teams seem to evaporate around me when I'm playing this tank. It's sad.

Last game I killed 5 tanks and did over 5000 damage. Rest of my team combined killed 4 tanks. At the end of the game, I got around 780 exp which is more than the whole entire winning team minus the 2 top tanks.

Just can't carry hard enough...

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I know, so many people shout, "I'm stock!" at the beginning of a match. It's not clan wars, no one gives a shit! It shouldn't make or break a pub battle, and by Tier 7 you should know how to use a stock tank just as well FFS. That's not to say you're not going to be better with all the upgrades, but for shit's sake, you're not a useless hunk of metal totally stock in any tank whatsoever.

I just wish I could learn how to play this game and not suck. I gave up on playing again because I'm just horrible at tanks in general. I'm impressed with my win rate on my IS, and only my IS. Everything else sucks ass, or worse, and my win rate with mediums is beyond shameful.

I'm embarrassed to even put it in here, but here it is:

signature.png

I don't know how to get better from here.

I stream. If you want, check out the videos or watch me live at www.twitch.tv/ashakar. I'm usually on from 430-730pm eastern during weekdays and 9am till on Sat/Sun.

The good news for you, is that you have less than 2k battles, so you could easily get back above 50% in no time. The best advice is to find some friends and learn coordination. After that, patience can be key. Sometimes its best to let the enemy come to you. Also never use auto-aim and learn tank weakspots. Go find some tank weakspot skins and install them, they are infinitely helpful for begginers.

signature.png

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I stream. If you want, check out the videos or watch me live at www.twitch.tv/ashakar. I'm usually on from 430-730pm eastern during weekdays and 9am till on Sat/Sun.

The good news for you, is that you have less than 2k battles, so you could easily get back above 50% in no time. The best advice is to find some friends and learn coordination. After that, patience can be key. Sometimes its best to let the enemy come to you. Also never use auto-aim and learn tank weakspots. Go find some tank weakspot skins and install them, they are infinitely helpful for begginers.

signature.png

Don't listen to him, he is a complete noob with stat padded scores. He uses autoaim all the time and drives in reverse...

We had a decent day yesterday, starting off something like 11-0 before losing our 12th game. I then had to get back on last night and play in my mighty KV-2, obliterate some noobs and then roll in the M4.

I shouldn't have played the M4. I ended up doing more damage than anyone else in the game and it was a tier 7 game. I had 4 kills, another PZ4 using HE had 4 kills. As soon as the PZ4 died I knew we were done. Didn't stop me from halving an IS before getting annihilated.

Ah well, you know I won't ever stop solo pubbing... I really should start a stream of my own so people can hear me rage at my team of complete poo as they fail at the most basic of maneuvers.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I know, so many people shout, "I'm stock!" at the beginning of a match. It's not clan wars, no one gives a shit! It shouldn't make or break a pub battle, and by Tier 7 you should know how to use a stock tank just as well FFS. That's not to say you're not going to be better with all the upgrades, but for shit's sake, you're not a useless hunk of metal totally stock in any tank whatsoever.

I just wish I could learn how to play this game and not suck. I gave up on playing again because I'm just horrible at tanks in general. I'm impressed with my win rate on my IS, and only my IS. Everything else sucks ass, or worse, and my win rate with mediums is beyond shameful.

I'm embarrassed to even put it in here, but here it is:

signature.png

I don't know how to get better from here.

Here is my advice. Take a step back to a tier 1 or 2 tank. They are all basically the same: No armor to speak of, guns that can pen eachother decently (except the ultra armored H35 variants), about equally fast, etc. You see less maps, you can figure out ways to exploit certain things on maps (I am looking at you himmelsdorf). You learn the importance of flanking, staying the hell out of the firing lines of TD's (which will stay with you for life), understand when a push can help win a flank and when it is suicidal (something I have yet to learn with my 17k battles).

Give this a go, take a tier 1 tank (highly recommend MS1 (use the 45mm gun)), buy your crew to 75% (or retrain a crew from another tank back down to this one for 80/90%). You play a grand total of 4? maps in tier 1: Province, Mines, Himmelsdorf, Campinova.

On mines, regardless of what tank you picked, try to go to the top hill, or at least get your gun to cover the top hill. Learn how to be hull down by using the terrain. Do NOT suicide to make it to the hill, denying the enemy the hill is good enough.

On Province, head south/north along the ridge and learn your spotting limitations, sight limitations, and cover along with the proper way to snipe and/or being a passive scout.

On himmelsdorf, never go hill in a tier 1, takes too long. Instead pick the 3 line each and every time, learn where the rubble is, how to best angle your tank to get bounces, and know that you may have to back up and save base. Also you learn not to overextend.

On campinova, if you start in the north side, try to make it quickly to the range of bushes infront of the wall at spawn and passively scout. Only shoot when you are spotted (you will know based on when the enemies guns suddenly look RIGHT at you). On the south, go along the hill by the water to the grove of bushes. Passively scout. You will spot any enemies going through the marsh as well as anyone going through town. Depending on your crew skills, you might even spot stuff on the top hill.

I know you have 2k games under your belt, and this is pretty basic stuff. But once you master these 4 maps and know how to exploit the situation, I would then advise taking this knowledge to the mid/higher tiers. Mid tier is all kinds of screwed up with the 105 HEAT spam, unless you are joining in with it, avoid tier 5 like the plague. If you already understand and do these things, then you can ignore this message.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I have been driving my KV-5 in reverse. It is hilarious and I bounce a lot more shots than when exposing that gun turret.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Don't listen to him, he is a complete noob with stat padded scores. He uses autoaim all the time and drives in reverse...

We had a decent day yesterday, starting off something like 11-0 before losing our 12th game. I then had to get back on last night and play in my mighty KV-2, obliterate some noobs and then roll in the M4.

I shouldn't have played the M4. I ended up doing more damage than anyone else in the game and it was a tier 7 game. I had 4 kills, another PZ4 using HE had 4 kills. As soon as the PZ4 died I knew we were done. Didn't stop me from halving an IS before getting annihilated.

Ah well, you know I won't ever stop solo pubbing... I really should start a stream of my own so people can hear me rage at my team of complete poo as they fail at the most basic of maneuvers.

I solo queued a few games last night while I was waiting for my tourney stuff to start. I happened to win them all amazingly. I actually solo pubbed my AC Mle and got like 3k damage in the thing. Made for a damn good double and it got my crew to 100% finally.

Your right Freak, I stat pad. I just do it better than 99% of the server. I also drive my tank in reverse. I however never use auto-aim. And you don't have to start your own stream, people can listen to your antics on my stream already.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Your right Freak, I stat pad. I just do it better than 99% of the server.

It is weird though. If you think about it, I do roughly the same amount of stuff in a battle as you and use the same tier tanks. So unless you are playing a lot of 9-10's when I am not around (and I do hurt myself with playing the low stuff solo) then I just don't get it.

I don't really care though, but I guess my love of low tiers really questions my "skill".

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
It is weird though. If you think about it, I do roughly the same amount of stuff in a battle as you and use the same tier tanks. So unless you are playing a lot of 9-10's when I am not around (and I do hurt myself with playing the low stuff solo) then I just don't get it.

I don't really care though, but I guess my love of low tiers really questions my "skill".

You conviently left out the part where you run off and die a horrible horrible death, and I carry you to a win. You're really good at dying in the bowl of el halluf. First your 704 and then the m3 lee.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
You conviently left out the part where you run off and die a horrible horrible death, and I carry you to a win. You're really good at dying in the bowl of el halluf. First your 704 and then the m3 lee.

You can't blame him for wanting to suicide in the campfest that is el halluf. :)

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Been playing a lot more warthunder. But decided to help my fiancee's kid get the top gun on the T30. He was telling me about the team situation and thought I could help him get wins. Holy christ should I had known better. We won at a 40ish clip yesterday. And most of our losses werent even close.

So after one of our games we looked at the players on our team vs their team. How does the matchmaker let this happen?

Him, Me, and one other guy had win rates like this (53,53,50). Then the rest of our team were sub 50, most of them in the 46-47 range. The other team? Not a single player below 52%. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We killed 3 of their tanks, of course I had 2, kid had 1. The rest of the team died in a fire. Most of them within 2 mins of the beginning.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Been playing a lot more warthunder. But decided to help my fiancee's kid get the top gun on the T30. He was telling me about the team situation and thought I could help him get wins. Holy christ should I had known better. We won at a 40ish clip yesterday. And most of our losses werent even close.

So after one of our games we looked at the players on our team vs their team. How does the matchmaker let this happen?

Him, Me, and one other guy had win rates like this (53,53,50). Then the rest of our team were sub 50, most of them in the 46-47 range. The other team? Not a single player below 52%. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We killed 3 of their tanks, of course I had 2, kid had 1. The rest of the team died in a fire. Most of them within 2 mins of the beginning.

You tend to remenber when MM puts you on a bad team....but forget it when you are on the good team.
It's all math...and all statistics...and nothing "rigged".

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
You tend to remenber when MM puts you on a bad team....but forget it when you are on the good team.
It's all math...and all statistics...and nothing "rigged".

I cant remember every time because it happens so often now. We had game after game like this. Games where our team would get 1-3 kills in a steamrolling.

But that still doesnt explain how the MM can possibly place an entire team of players that are 52+% against a bunch of sub 50 players.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
I cant remember every time because it happens so often now. We had game after game like this. Games where our team would get 1-3 kills in a steamrolling.

But that still doesnt explain how the MM can possibly place an entire team of players that are 52+% against a bunch of sub 50 players.

What is the problem?

MM does NOT look at winrate = it's all chance.
It math and statistics...really simple even...you ar eseeing Things that are not there.

Try noting Down what side has the ""advantage".
I bet you after 1000 games...there won't be a statistical anomaly in favour of one or the other side.
Prove me wrong.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

I swear we get tons of those games during prime time. I platoon with my friend (he's a bad, but me yelling on the phone makes him average) and we just can't carry hard enough to win more than 40% of the time. Even with the m4 or t29 we just can't carry hard enough.

Then I solo pub yesterday and eek out a 75% win. /shrug.

0___________0

May 5, 2012
Thought I'd throw this out for anyone who has trouble on Windows 8, I have to run the game in compatibility mode (Windows 7), otherwise the game almost never never runs, it spawns the process but nothing happens.

I finally bought the KV-4 with the tier 8 sale, kinda wish I'd gone the other path now. Maybe things will get better once I have the long 107mm, but I don't have enough free exp. I even saw a T28 prototype going faster than me.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
What is the problem?

MM does NOT look at winrate = it's all chance.
It math and statistics...really simple even...you ar eseeing Things that are not there.

Try noting Down what side has the ""advantage".
I bet you after 1000 games...there won't be a statistical anomaly in favour of one or the other side.
Prove me wrong.

What do you mean what is the problem? Good players vs bad players? This isnt a weighted issue where one side gets 2-3 more players. The entire effing team was as good or better than 3 of the top on one team. That should never happen.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
What do you mean what is the problem? Good players vs bad players? This isnt a weighted issue where one side gets 2-3 more players. The entire effing team was as good or better than 3 of the top on one team. That should never happen.

tinfoil hat stuff here. It really is.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
The matches are all random. MM doesn't look at you or your w/r and decide to put you on the side with the shittier or better people. Over time the only consistant factor in the game is you and the people you're platooned with. Everyone's had that streak of games that they just couldn't win, shit happens. The problem is, people remember that time they lost 10 games in a row (due to MM), but never remember the 10 in a row that they won (which was due to thier awesome skills, not MM btw).

Just remember, in order to win a match, you must first overcome your own team.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
What is tin foil hat stuff?

Your assertion about MM and player winrates.

MM dosn't look at player stats.
It only looks at the tank and it's tier.

Any "pattern" your percieve...is down to chance and statistics.

Hence:
/tinfoil-hat

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Your assertion about MM and player winrates.

MM dosn't look at player stats.
It only looks at the tank and it's tier.

Any "pattern" your percieve...is down to chance and statistics.

Hence:
/tinfoil-hat

I am not making the claim the MM is intentionally doing this nor was this player make up a pattern. I only observed one of our steamrolling had this kind of player make up for the teams. I said it should never happen.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
I am not making the claim the MM is intentionally doing this nor was this player make up a pattern. I only observed one of our steamrolling had this kind of player make up for the teams. I said it should never happen.

So you have observed chance and statistics.
And?