[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 320 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Yeah, angling frontally is good along with keeping the turret angled. I've had some hell though with even extreme angles being penetrated by some of these high pen guns. I'm sure they're shooting me with gold ammo, though the T110E5's gold rounds I can still deflect with good angling.

I like the side scraping in order to troll the other tank into firing at me and wasting his shot. At most he tracks me, that side skirt is pretty amazing at absorbing all sorts of damage.

With gold rounds, the 110E5 will go through the front turret of an E100 next to the mantlet. A bit of a waste of time shooting for the lower glacis.

And to PowerYoga, the 110E5 is a better overall tank than that E100, especially for pubbing. The E100 has that great alpha with gold rounds, but it is not as well armored as the Maus, doesn't bounce like the 110E5 and also gets low marks for mobility. In a pub, mobility is just as important as firepower as you may need to run around when your team fails. In CW, you can expect to run more set plays, which reduces the criticality of mobility, but it is still valued. Right now, the big dogs in CW are T110E5, T57 and T62A. All others are situational.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
With gold rounds, the 110E5 will go through the front turret of an E100 next to the mantlet. A bit of a waste of time shooting for the lower glacis.

And to PowerYoga, the 110E5 is a better overall tank than that E100, especially for pubbing. The E100 has that great alpha with gold rounds, but it is not as well armored as the Maus, doesn't bounce like the 110E5 and also gets low marks for mobility. In a pub, mobility is just as important as firepower as you may need to run around when your team fails. In CW, you can expect to run more set plays, which reduces the criticality of mobility, but it is still valued. Right now, the big dogs in CW are T110E5, T57 and T62A. All others are situational.

Ok that's what I thought, and some others brought up a good point with arty and E100 being a huge ass target as well.

I'll likely get the 110E5 and sell the junky ass IS4 sometime soon. :)

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
T8 discount coming up, not bad...I may rebuy the IS3 or the KT. I have good crews for both just sitting in the barracks.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
With 3x crew training I might be able to round out those last few % points I need to finish my 3rd skill on my IS-6(7) crew. I'll also hopefully get to finish my second skill on my T-54 and finish my first skills on my Type58 and tier 7 french TD. It'll be nice to finally get the light bulb on those two tanks.

Plus with half off camo, I'll probably end up getting the sand and winter camo for a few of my favorite tanks.

edit: For the last game that I played yesterday, my platoon got stuck in a game against Garbad and his lackies. Luckily we were both in tier 7s in a tier 7 game to make it pretty evenly matched. The bad part was I was in my AC MLE with a 92% crew. We ended up winning, but damn was it close. The best part is when my brother and I were both pushing on garbad's position (he was in a jagpanther) with about 350hp left, our tier 5 arty blast him to pieces. Oh the irony.

At the start of the match garbad said something along these lines "ah, unicum platoon vs unicum platoon. pub stomp then meet in D6?", and thats pretty much how the game unfolded.

Last edited:

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Watching Garbad get gibbed by arty is always entertaining. :)

I did taunt him about it after it happened. Its a shame though, since I wanted to kill him. Our arty was pretty damn bad to boot.

I can't really blame the guy for hating arty though. Yesterday I got gibbed by the tier 5 german arty in my IS-6 (on the map with the field to the east and dragon teeth, and the city in the west) on encounter. Before I can get up behind the city, bam, 1380hp gone. gun damage, ammo rack damage, turret ring damage, tracks damaged, loader dead. Less than 45 sec into the game. That arty won the game for them with that lucky as fuck hit, as we barely lost.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Using XVM is kinda depressing lol. I don't get how some players are just beyond hope bad. I'm not great by any stretch at ~1250 efficiency and 53% with 3k battles... but how do you get to 20k battles at 44% and 650 efficency lol?! I've seen so many terrible players.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Using XVM is kinda depressing lol. I don't get how some players are just beyond hope bad. I'm not great by any stretch at ~1250 efficiency and 53% with 3k battles... but how do you get to 20k battles at 44% and 650 efficency lol?! I've seen so many terrible players.

I"m pretty sure the people that are that low of w/r are just botting. I especially think that if its a tier 8 premium with less than a 44% w/r. The bright side is that both teams are usually made of equally horrendous players.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009

Bot/AFK too much.

The sad part is that I expect players like that in tier 1-3.
But when they appear driving a tier 10....I just cry if on my team..and feel sad for enemy team if they have such a player.

More tier 1 fun, defend the base!

http://youtu.be/80cQLRWXO5g

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

Might have terrible computers with 1-2 fps. I tried playing WOT on a terrible computer and it was really really bad.

ddjkdg

Dec 22, 2001
Might have terrible computers with 1-2 fps. I tried playing WOT on a terrible computer and it was really really bad.
For the lower tiers maybe, but it doesn't make sense that people would be plunking down $50 for a tier 8 premium tank and possibly paying for a premium account as well, but not be able to upgrade their toasters. More than half my games were played on a rig I originally built in 2006, the only things I changed were to upgrade the RAM from 2GB to 4GB and a new video card that I got off Newegg for about $60 a couple of years ago. I still rarely dipped below 25fps. Even my cheap laptop with integrated video can run WoT at 5-10fps. This game may not be optimized for shit to take advantage of top-end computers, but it runs just fine on old hardware (which has a lot to do with its biggest market in Russia).

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
5-10 fps is not playable. When you fire you will drop to 2 second per frame. Accuracy is extremely important in this game and having bad lag or a bad computer will ruin your win rate. You said you upgraded: and that's great. But a lot of people don't. :)

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Yeah I played for about a week on my girls laptop with Ivy Bridge integrated video, and altbough it was kind of playable it definitely wasn't enjoyable. Shooting? Smoke? Bye bye frames per second lol.

I guess those bad high tier players are just gluttons for punishment, if slow machines are to blame anyway.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
5-10 fps is not playable. When you fire you will drop to 2 second per frame. Accuracy is extremely important in this game and having bad lag or a bad computer will ruin your win rate. You said you upgraded: and that's great. But a lot of people don't. :)

They deserve to die then(ingame).

But WG should implement a FPS counter.
<10 FPS = you cannot do pubs, untill you lower settings...or find another PC.

ddjkdg

Dec 22, 2001
The point is that having a shitty computer is not an excuse. You can get a used rig for cheap that will run this game just fine on low-med settings.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The point is that having a shitty computer is not an excuse. You can get a used rig for cheap that will run this game just fine on low-med settings.

No, the POINT is people WILL run this game on shit settings with a terrible computer and derp their way to a tier 10.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Just learned a NEW excuse for camping in the middle of nowhere...doing nothing:

"But I am stock?"

First TK of the day for me lol

Told him:

"It's okay...you are dead now...go back to doing nothing"

Llwellyn

Feb 29, 2012
I know, so many people shout, "I'm stock!" at the beginning of a match. It's not clan wars, no one gives a shit! It shouldn't make or break a pub battle, and by Tier 7 you should know how to use a stock tank just as well FFS. That's not to say you're not going to be better with all the upgrades, but for shit's sake, you're not a useless hunk of metal totally stock in any tank whatsoever.

I just wish I could learn how to play this game and not suck. I gave up on playing again because I'm just horrible at tanks in general. I'm impressed with my win rate on my IS, and only my IS. Everything else sucks ass, or worse, and my win rate with mediums is beyond shameful.

I'm embarrassed to even put it in here, but here it is:

signature.png

I don't know how to get better from here.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
I know, so many people shout, "I'm stock!" at the beginning of a match. It's not clan wars, no one gives a shit! It shouldn't make or break a pub battle, and by Tier 7 you should know how to use a stock tank just as well FFS. That's not to say you're not going to be better with all the upgrades, but for shit's sake, you're not a useless hunk of metal totally stock in any tank whatsoever.

I just wish I could learn how to play this game and not suck. I gave up on playing again because I'm just horrible at tanks in general. I'm impressed with my win rate on my IS, and only my IS. Everything else sucks ass, or worse, and my win rate with mediums is beyond shameful.

signature.png

You don't have a lot of battles yet, don't worry.
Ever tried going into the traning rooms with friends..a good way too learn.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Today, my computer got so bogged down I got into the match when my team was way behind half killed.

I said sorry, and then killed enemies until we ended up winning.

Kind of nice.

On another note, I'm wondering how my win 7 4gb ram system is getting quite so bogged down, where restarting fixes it very well for a while.

ddjkdg

Dec 22, 2001

signature.png

Watch replays and streams from good players and you'll pick up a lot.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Not sure.

Didn't start anything new, it just starts using the disk a lot.

Do you have enough free space on the disk? Generally you should leave about 10% of the total disk space for swapping and such. I've never had that problem but that sounds more like an OS issue than world of tanks.