[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 295 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
With all that said, I had an awesome weekend and Vets day. Kept over a 75% win rate with around 200 or so games played (yeah I know, I didnt' have much else to do this weekend). Possessed and another clan mate and I trolled the pubbies with 3 object 704s where we probably went 40W-4L. Pushing and rolling together on the flat maps and city maps, its an almost unstoppable force. Any tank goes from full health to dead in meer seconds. The best part is just listening to what the teams have to say about 3 704s, especially when we are top tier.
One thing that was repeatedly noticed though was if we got bogged down or could not push because of terrain or whatnot, we were basically completely neutered.

Open maps like Morovanka or Phrokovka (spelling!) were ideal so we could be 3 abreast and nuking things.

Somehow Runiburg was always our bane. And then there was my epic city dueling in Lakeville (where I got completely owned). And yet Lurker got an amazing upset win with the world's worst JT failing.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The 704s front armor is meh. Anything with over 200 pen shouldn't have a problem penning frontally. The bigger issue is not hitting the gun manlet, which is seemingly impervious and is about 30% of the front of the tank. That and another 15% or so of the front is actually just the track covers, which you'll get a 0 damage pen for. I've got a few steel walls in this beast before.

On another note. Sure you can pen the 704, but I have 1600hp and I'll take a hit for 250-450hp to hit you for ~900. Thats a fair trade in most cases. That and when there are 3 of us together, you are most likely going to get your one shot off, and then cease to exist as 3 BL-10s of doom wipe you off the map in an instant.

Yeah you shouldn't have any problem penning the 704 with normal rounds... which is why I try to wiggle after i get a shot off so people might hit the 500mm gun mantlet.

I Platoon with my friend's ISU-152, and it's always a great laugh to 2 shot nearly all tier 7s and sometimes tier 8s and 9s on good rolls.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Couple of updates :p

First, I got a T26 for fun, it is quite nice though you gotta hang back in T9 matches - your armor is nothing and your gun is a peashooter. Still, a lovely credit maker.

Second, I finally got the Hummel, used some free xp to elite it and took it for a ride.
2 games, 4kills each...indeed arty T5+ is like Finger of God.
TBH I'm playing it as a diversion from the tanks, I wouldn't really mind removing arty completely from the game. I think it would make people play smarter, not just in a way of "where can I hide from arty".

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Couple of updates :p

First, I got a T26 for fun, it is quite nice though you gotta hang back in T9 matches - your armor is nothing and your gun is a peashooter. Still, a lovely credit maker.

Second, I finally got the Hummel, used some free xp to elite it and took it for a ride.
2 games, 4kills each...indeed arty T5+ is like Finger of God.
TBH I'm playing it as a diversion from the tanks, I wouldn't really mind removing arty completely from the game. I think it would make people play smarter, not just in a way of "where can I hide from arty".

Then look forward to the GWpanther...the turret makes that arty really fun to play compared to the hummel ;)

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
After platooning with two guys in thier T62As, and seeing how much those tanks kick ass, I've decided to grind my way up to one. The bad part is, I'm at the tier 7 T43, and my god does this tank suck. The penetration on the guns are just horrible. The tank isn't so bad if its top tier, but it just can't handle tier 8 and 9s.

I also broke past the magical 56.5% win rate mark, so now I'll have a purple xvm winrate. All I need is another 800 games and I"ll be full purple across the board.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
you're the one that said no to a platoon.
I regret that. I didn't think I would be on long. I just wanted to tear it up in the low tiers.

Our clan released the damage sheet our members do in the clanwars ready tanks. I know I should *never* be picked for an IS4. At the top the numbers are only different by a fraction of a single shot. If the E100 ever comes back into favor, I will probably be picked to play that a LOT.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
After platooning with two guys in thier T62As, and seeing how much those tanks kick ass, I've decided to grind my way up to one. The bad part is, I'm at the tier 7 T43, and my god does this tank suck. The penetration on the guns are just horrible. The tank isn't so bad if its top tier, but it just can't handle tier 8 and 9s.

I also broke past the magical 56.5% win rate mark, so now I'll have a purple xvm winrate. All I need is another 800 games and I"ll be full purple across the board.

I really liked the T62A on the test server. But I am at the T34 and think it is a real pile of shit. The T43 is really bad as well. And I dont have the ambition to free exp my way to the T44.

I did ruin the game of a T62A on seigfreid line last night. He came around the corner trying to shoot me in the arse. I was waiting for him nose pointed right at him in my IS7. My first shot lit him on fire while he deflected. I then chased him a little to put the next shot through him sending him to tank heaven :D Poor guy was out of the game in the first min and my first two shots did 1950 damage. Of course our team sucked and we ended with a draw after I did 6300 damage with 3 kills blah!

On a side note. I am finally getting to be pretty competent in the E50.
i am just building free exp for my grind to the T110 and eventually the Leopard I.

Last edited:

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I regret that. I didn't think I would be on long. I just wanted to tear it up in the low tiers.

Our clan released the damage sheet our members do in the clanwars ready tanks. I know I should *never* be picked for an IS4. At the top the numbers are only different by a fraction of a single shot. If the E100 ever comes back into favor, I will probably be picked to play that a LOT.

Yeah, looking at the sheet I'm surprised I'm not picked more often to play my IS-7 and 268. It doesn't really bother me though.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I really liked the T62A on the test server. But I am at the T34 and think it is a real pile of shit. The T43 is really bad as well. And I dont have the ambition to free exp my way to the T44.

I did ruin the game of a T62A on seigfreid line last night. He came around the corner trying to shoot me in the arse. I was waiting for him nose pointed right at him in my IS7. My first shot lit him on fire while he deflected. I then chased him a little to put the next shot through him sending him to tank heaven :D Poor guy was out of the game in the first min and my first two shots did 1950 damage. Of course our team sucked and we ended with a draw after I did 6300 damage with 3 kills blah!

On a side note. I am finally getting to be pretty competent in the E50.
i am just building free exp for my grind to the T110 and eventually the Leopard I.

The T34 (tier 5 medium) is a good little tank. The gun has decent pen and shoots very fast. It works best as a support/sniper tank, as it has ~0 armor. I've easily gotten games with 1-2k damage in that tank. Tier 6s can effectively one shot you though, so you have to be careful. Just remember a KV-1S takes what 12+ seconds to reload, so after he shoots (hopefull at a teammate), you can safely take 4-5 shots before taking cover.

For the 62A to be useful, it looks like you really need to have a platoon of at least 2 of them. When I rolled with 2 of them in my 268, they would just roll up on people and be a distraction, and I'd nail them for 1k and then the 2 62As would just plink them the rest of the way to death at 200-400 a shot every 5 seconds. The reload and aim speed for those tanks is just silly.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Yeah, a platoon of T62s can really make trouble if their players are half way decent. The whole team needs to deal with them. Same can be said of a platoon of T59s or T54s.

I leveled up through the t43 and t44 twice. Once in beta and once again after release. In beta they were really nice tanks. A platoon of them made the opposite team nervous because they were the T54s/T59s of their day. Second pass through they weren't as great because there were more tanks in the game that could easily beat them. Plus the ammo racking was even worse it seemed. I've gone as far as the t54. Personally I just prefer the American mediums more. I like how they can hull down better or peak over a rise better. I just perform in them better for some reason. Certainly not as much ammo racking to worry about.

The German mediums aren't as nice IMO. Great accuracy on the guns but don't hold up as well in a pitched battle armor wise. You have to snipe with them but they excel at that with their guns. Never tried the French mediums so cannot comment. Working on the British mediums now but only up to the Crusader. I still prefer American and Soviet to the british at this point but I still have a long road to go before I can give a final say.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Yeah, a platoon of T62s can really make trouble if their players are half way decent. The whole team needs to deal with them. Same can be said of a platoon of T59s or T54s.

I leveled up through the t43 and t44 twice. Once in beta and once again after release. In beta they were really nice tanks. A platoon of them made the opposite team nervous because they were the T54s/T59s of their day. Second pass through they weren't as great because there were more tanks in the game that could easily beat them. Plus the ammo racking was even worse it seemed. I've gone as far as the t54. Personally I just prefer the American mediums more. I like how they can hull down better or peak over a rise better. I just perform in them better for some reason. Certainly not as much ammo racking to worry about.

The German mediums aren't as nice IMO. Great accuracy on the guns but don't hold up as well in a pitched battle armor wise. You have to snipe with them but they excel at that with their guns. Never tried the French mediums so cannot comment. Working on the British mediums now but only up to the Crusader. I still prefer American and Soviet to the british at this point but I still have a long road to go before I can give a final say.

VK3601 is a nice medium, but the medium I have the most fun in is the VK 3002(DB)...bounces good, 55km/h, lots of HP...the 88mm gun you know ;)

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Well got stuck on camponova last night in my E50 in a match that featured 9 T7-8 arties. You know where this is going. Their arty accounted for 11 kills. But I am baffled how they were able to see us when there were no clear lines of site. It was mainly a pair of T92s that did the work. But I was behind a house on top of the hill opposite to them and they were able to hit me when i started moving out. And our E75 was nailed right off the bat behind a house at base. Either way, it is an old complaint, but sucks having that many arty in one match.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
If a T92 wants to hit you, he will. Though on Campinova, it's very easy to hit anybody with arty since there's no real hard cover unless its an assault map... and they removed that.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Speaking of arty...really don't like the GWTiger yet.
It's really, really unprecise compared to GWpanther...

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
VK3601 is a nice medium, but the medium I have the most fun in is the VK 3002(DB)...bounces good, 55km/h, lots of HP...the 88mm gun you know ;)

Yeah, when I was grinding my 3002DB it was a badass dogfighter. It bounced shells from all sorts of tanks. I haven't played in one in a long time (French and British didn't exist back then. MM was different too). How well does it hold up to all these new tanks? I dont see it very much anymore.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Yeah, when I was grinding my 3002DB it was a badass dogfighter. It bounced shells from all sorts of tanks. I haven't played in one in a long time (French and British didn't exist back then. MM was different too). How well does it hold up to all these new tanks? I dont see it very much anymore.

It still bounces good...a good flanker...and a good brawler.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
It still bounces good...a good flanker...and a good brawler.

Last night after work I dusted off my 3002DB and played several battles with it. Yeah, it still holds up pretty good to the other tanks. Except when you face those big tanks like the IS3. They are a bit of a hand full. I had some gold rounds just in case though I ran into something difficult. Other than that the ole dog fighter did well. In one fight I had to brawl against a IS3. He came at me like I was an easy meal but them gold rounds made certain I penned his front each and every time and with a few lucky bounces off my armor I managed to kill him. I limped away with only about 15% health left. He wasn't happy about it either and let me know. LOL

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Last night after work I dusted off my 3002DB and played several battles with it. Yeah, it still holds up pretty good to the other tanks. Except when you face those big tanks like the IS3. They are a bit of a hand full. I had some gold rounds just in case though I ran into something difficult. Other than that the ole dog fighter did well. In one fight I had to brawl against a IS3. He came at me like I was an easy meal but them gold rounds made certain I penned his front each and every time and with a few lucky bounces off my armor I managed to kill him. I limped away with only about 15% health left. He wasn't happy about it either and let me know. LOL

Hehe...sound like fun ^^

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I am really liking the T29 in city maps. Thinkign I will keep it when after moving onto the T32. Find pile of debris in the road and only expose my turret. Fire gold rounds to troll T9 or 10 when platooned. They fire back and usually bounce.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
I am really liking the T29 in city maps. Thinkign I will keep it when after moving onto the T32. Find pile of debris in the road and only expose my turret. Fire gold rounds to troll T9 or 10 when platooned. They fire back and usually bounce.

Clever players will aim for you cupola...it's a rather sweet weakpoint when facing the T-* types of US TD line tanks ;)

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
It's a tough shot even with the best gun. At 200m you'll probably be 1/5 or 1/6 with a good accuracy gun, provided the guy's not moving and making it even more difficult. You're better off either flanking or using gold rounds at that point... and shooting the cheeks might be easier to pen with gold rounds.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I think the T29 cheeks are zero damage pen hitboxes (take out a radio or something dumb). Either way you'll only pen it with a tier 10 TD or a tier 10 gun with gold. The cupolas may be a week spot, but if they are moving, it's a hard ass shot, even when they are close. Since they take longer than a lot of other tanks to aim, the best time to line up a shot is when they are doing the same.

Either way I kept my T29. I think it's one of the best tier 7s. It's the only one at that tier that can hull down and be immune to even tier 9s. When played properly this tank is a great pub stomper.