[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 293 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Now the low low tier battles are like 90% British tanks. It's nice that they give a free slot with a Tier 1 British tank. I'm going to grind the heavy line first. Might stop the Russian medium line after I unlock the T34-85 and switch to British medium. I hated the T-34.

Just had the best battle in my Tiger II. 4k+ damage, TG with 6 kills, 57k credits and 4184 exp with premium and x2. Only wish today is the x5 day instead. Can't wait to get my M47 and M103 this coming sale weekend.

Yeah, I played a few games in the MK1 and it was pretty much all the same British tanks against one another. Everyone was laughing and having a good time. Classic. I want to go both Heavy and medium but not sure how I plan to approach it. I need to buy some tank slots but they dont go on sale until tomorrow. I need to peruse the offical forums and see what people are saying.

Anyone planning on getting one of the new Gold tanks? I was considering getting that Panther M tank and trying to play it stealth like. The other two I'm not interested in. The 122/44 is supposedly the better money earner according to the official press news but its at a higher tier so should.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
They put up their promo code for winning Golden Joystick. "GGWP" gets you 3 free days of premium status, and 5 each of pudding and tea, improved combat rations, extra combat rations, strong coffee, chocolate, and case of cola.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Started with the British mediums. Up to the A13 now. Fun tanks at these low levels so far. Once I can buy extra slots I'll start the heavy line. I hear its like the French heavy line though so that worries me. I consider the French heavies up to the M4 1945 to be utter crap. I really hope the British heavies are not as bad.

Edit: Got 5x credits for all my tanks today. That took some time I have so many. Then I bought 6 slots and started down the British heavy line while continuing the medium line. Right now I have a TIV medium and a TIV heavy. I'll work on it some more tomorrow. Not spending any Free XP yet. Grinding with just what my tanks earn.

Last edited:

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Well getting all my x5s is going to crazy this weekend. Especially now that everyone will have premium this weekend, and alot of people will be slinging gold(super silver) rounds. I counted that I have 28 tanks in my garage, so if I can get all my x5s done, it'll net me around 5-6k in free xp a day.

I think I'm also going to end up buying the tier 3 french premium TD. Its only 800 gold and the tested camo values are insane, so it looks like it'll be a deadly sniper. Plus I plan on working my way up the french TD line, so I can continue to transfer my crews to this premium TD to skill them up.

0___________0

May 5, 2012
Victory!
Battle: Ruinberg Friday, November 02, 2012 7:22:34 PM
Vehicle: M4A3E8 Sherman
Experience received: 6,015 (x5 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 20,405
Battle Achievements: Top Gun, Sniper, Master Gunner, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

Forgot to activate premium before this.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted -

GGWP

After inputting the bonus code you will receive all of the following:

3 days of Premium
5x Extra Combat Rations
5x Case of Cola
5x Chocolate
5x Improved Combat Rations
5x Strong coffee
5x Pudding and Tea
You have from November 2nd 01:00 AM (00:00 GMT) until Friday November 9th 11:59 PM (10:59 GTM) to use your bonus code and receive your free goodies! After that your code will expire, so you should not hesitate to make full use of it as soon as you can. The bonus code can only be used once per account.

Enjoy ATPCG tankers!

LtMikePowelll

Jan 12, 2011
Victory!
Battle: Widepark Saturday, November 03, 2012 9:29:20 PM
Vehicle: Cromwell
Experience received: 6,675 (x5 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 23,263
Battle Achievements: Lehväslaiho's medal, Master Gunner, Mastery Badge: "2nd Class"

Killed an M26 and a Ferdinand to get that medal..

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The british low tier tanks... are so bad. The A-13 series have great maneuverability though, even with a 50% crew that thing flies. The guns leave a lot to be desired though, the 40mm pom-pom does nothing for me. It's only useful as a shotgun.

The A-10 does have a great troll 3.7in cannon though. With the shit armor all the british tanks have, the howitzer is a guaranteed pen on the 10mm ... everywhere.

Hate to say it, but I think the BT-2, BT-7 and A-20 are all better tanks.

Forgot to mention: DO NOT GO DOWN THE MK2 AND MK3 LINE. Those tanks suck ASS. Slow, terrible armor AND terrible gun. You'll want to punch a kitten before you're done with the grind.

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I free experienced my way to the Cromwell. So far I like the tank. Very mobile with a decent gun.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Victory!
Battle: Arctic Region Sunday, November 04, 2012 6:53:11 PM
Vehicle: IS-4
Experience received: 8,645 (x5 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 80,686

24 shots, 6558 damage.

yay.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I just couldn't take the x5 weekend anymore. Called it quits Sunday morning after starting the day off with 4 losses. I bought fallen enchantress, so I might take a few days off from tanks to play that some.

Besides Sunday, friday and saturday weren't all that bad. I did start off on a horrible losing streak on saturday also, but went on a 15-3 winning streak saturday night with my brother, so I still ended up ahead for the day.

I also probably spent around 5 million stocking up on super silver rounds for various tanks. It turns out, alot of tanks I play on the regular dont really benefit that much from gold:
-My T-34 doesn't need gold to pen tier 10 tanks.
-The BL-9 added pen for gold rounds is not really going to make a difference.
-The BL-10 gold still wont pen the front turret of an IS-7 at range (not need to pen anything else really).

Now the VK3601H with the konisch and gold rounds rocks for a tier 6. I already got a few of those medals for killing tier 8 tanks. I also stocked up about 2500 rounds (about 125-175 games worth). Even paying for the rounds at full price I can break even, since 225 pen is overkill for anything other than tier 8s and the gun is very accurate.

The KV-2 with gold rounds is another one of those abominations of a tier 6. The only real issue is hitting anything. If its more than 100m away and moving, its all luck.

The object 268 gold rounds (450 pen) will pen virtually anything, however the normal 303 pen round is still good in most cases. The gold round however will let you pen the front of an IS-7 turret, and the front of the E3/4s with little worries.

The new tracers added in 8.1 let you see alot easier where your rounds are going. Its amazing to see how off your shots really are. It is funny that on more than one occasion, my shot being off my reticule is what ended in a hit, while if it was on target, I would have ended up missing. I do like this addition though, as I can more easily tell why I bounced on a target.

The 8.1 XVM is also great, as now it has an ingame hit/damage counter for your tank. You can also change the damage colors for your platoon mates, so you can tell when they are hitting stuff. I really like this addition, and I think these things should actually come standard with the game.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Lurker does like his 3601, really wants me to buy one. But I dunno yet.

I made several purchases this weekend, and burned about 200k free to make the tanks not stock. Patton with top gun, Ausf B with top gun, 103 with top gun. And I purchased a T34.

I feel bad too because I was already platooned up on Saturday without poor Lurker. And I was at a friend's house on Sunday. I ended up with a 60+ win ratio on Sunday and slightly higher on Saturday (had a run of 17-1 on Saturday before things went downhill).

I will have to try the improved graphics again, but I lost all tracers with them in 8.0. I will also have to fiddle around with xvm's config and see if I can get individual tank w/l for the player vs overall win/loss.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Yup. I've found gold rounds will not penetrate places where I can't normally penetrate for most guns. Especially for tier 9 and tier 10 guns: if you can't pen it normally, gold rounds MOST likely won't help. But they do more damage if they do penetrate, I did notice a lot of bads using gold ammo in an attempt to be more effective and better at the game. It does work to some degree since they can now do a bit more damage before dying.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Lurker does like his 3601, really wants me to buy one. But I dunno yet.

I feel bad too because I was already platooned up on Saturday without poor Lurker. And I was at a friend's house on Sunday. I ended up with a 60+ win ratio on Sunday and slightly higher on Saturday (had a run of 17-1 on Saturday before things went downhill).

Saturday just started off bad, but I just pushed through, and still ended up with around a 65% w/l ratio for the day. I just didn't have it in me on Sunday, and was burnt out.

I'm telling you the VK3601h with gold is even more beastly than it is normally. I dont mind you playing the KV-2 though, as it seems to make a good team. They like to shoot you instead of me. The added bonus of the VK is since it shoots so fast, and with dead eye, it causes alot of fires, especially if your showing your side to me. Its best played as a sniper though, as it has decent camo and great accuracy. Its does ok as a brawler, but plain out sucks at PAB due to the high RoF and shitty alpha.

I did also get a few steel walls in my T34 and on the 2 occasions I took out my E75. I guess people think gold rounds will pen anything, boy were they dissapointed. I took 36 hits in my E75 in one game, and still ended up with over 1k hp at the end. Almost all the shots were to my upper glacias or turret, to the point I almost didn't have any paint left.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I generally avoided the game all weekend. Only logged in to do dailies on a few of my tanks. I maybe played 15 games? The idiots were out in force like I hadnt seen in awhile. It was kind of amusing to watch after I got myself blown up. Some of the things they would do had to be witnessed to believe it.

Of course my favorite was when an opposing Type59 who was beating up our Tiger P had me to contend with. I had to protect the little guy. After getting in between the two and knocking him down a few notches and him just bouncing harmlessly off my hull. I went to ram him and end it. He helped by ramming me back. buh bye lmao.

The Tiger P was grateful for the help.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
First time I got Sniper, Steel Wall, and Top Gun in a single game, plus Reaper too. It was in my VK3001, the 88 is devastating against anything below its tier. This tank is as good as the VK3601.

Personally I never pay attention to gold rounds and never used any so I don't know if it has become a lot more common. I haven't noticed any difference in the games I played yet so I guess it's fine.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
On the early British mediums where all you can get is a 2pdr gun I find the gold rounds helpful. If you have to face a KV in these mediums the gold round is very helpful. You dont kill a KV quick but at least you penetrate and slowly wittle them down some. Its better than constant bounces anyway.

Used some gold with my Lowe but only against big Tier10 tanks when I got into those type of battles which wasnt that often. I spent most of my time grinding the British mediums and heavies this last weekend. Didnt play at all today. Took a day off from WoT after hitting it hard over the weekend.

Right now I am grinding the Churchil MK1 and the Crusader. The crusader is a weak amored thing. You have to lay back and snipe or support with it. If you go forward too soon in the fight you usually get your ass kicked because everyone knows you have weak armor. I have been 1 shotted a few times already while playing it. KVs and M4s that have derp guns make short work of you pretty quick and arty is just as bad.

The Churchill MK1 is a slow thing. No rushing anywhere with it. I usually stay back with it its so damn slow. Havent maxed it out yet so doing damage is hard at this point. Once i get that last gun it gets good I'm told. We'll see.

I havent spent any free xp on these British tanks yet. Just grinding them normally. I just dont want to waste my xp on anything rubish or something I can easily grind the old fashion way. Saving it for something really good. Over 121k so far saved up.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Well I can tell all the idiots are burnt out after the x5s and things are back to normal. Went 25W-7L-2D for the day yesterday. I also finally burnt about 30k free xp to unlock the last gun on the E50 since I couldn't stand it anymore. It totally transforms that tank, now I can actually hurt tier 10s.

I really need to purely grind my T34 for a weekend though for credits. I'm only sitting on 2M and I currently have both the E-100 and T110E5 unlocked that I would like to buy at some point. I'll probably get the T110E5 first since I can move my T34 crew back and forth. That and the E5 is more useful in CW than the E100.