[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 249 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I told some players, "Save $60, roleplay like Diablo in this game. Beware, Demonspawn Tanks! My arrows of steel shells are coming! But the loot is crap."

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
fucking MSLE IS-4s, nerf russian tanks.

Multi-Shot Lightning Enchanted? :eek:

I may be burned out a little. I have lots of options to grind/play but none of them are interesting to play right now. I may drop some free xp to get a T-50 for some fun.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Not bad...
Victory!
Battle: Erlenberg יום*חמישי 17 מאי 2012 11:55:10
Vehicle: Type 59
Experience received: 3,962 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 116,740
Battle Achievements: Mastery Badge: Ace Tanker

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Heh I love the IS4 but found its weakspot last night. I guess I already knew it before. But rarely would I let an E75 so close to me to let it happen. I was playing my E75 in ruinberg last night and was dueling an IS4 down the road. I decided to close the distance and used the buildings to shield my lower glacis from his gun. Then I locked heads with him. I penetrated his hatch while he bounced off my upper glacis or turret. I had him down to about 250 hp when his IS7 and IS8 buddies ripped me a new one from the side.

Told my fiance's kid about this. We go out in the field at campinova and lock heads in a training battle. He was blabbing about pwning me. We lock heads, his first shot damages my gun. I fix it. Then I proceed to tear him apart. The only reason he made it interesting is some how he killed my driver and was able to back up away from me and get a shot on my lower glacis. If he stayed locked with me, he died a more miserable death. I other words the kid had to break the rules of engagement. The tears were great while he explained it happened because he wasnt trying. :D

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Yup. Locking heads with the IS-4 is never a good idea because the profile is so low, any german tank can pretty much shoot DOWN into his tank. This negates 2 things: slope and the tough turret armor (you can pretty much shoot the top of his turret).

Up close, the slope of the lower glacis is too steep for the gun to properly penetrate as well. And the profile of the IS-4 is low so it's difficult to hit the hatch without hitting the immense mantlet. Either way you get fucked pretty hard. This is a bit better now that the IS-4 is tier 10, but previously I HATED using the IS-4 in close quarters. Did I mention the IS-4 turns like a seaslug?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Given this bit if evidence. Does this also work on the IS7? Of course it is tougher to do against that fast tank. But in closed quarters maybe backing him into a wall could be the end of him as well?

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Well I got the T-50. It is missing the last engine and radio, but what can I say...
This is my new favourite tank :p

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
After a few more rounds in the T-50 I must say - this is one of the easiest to play, most fun and cheapest credit grinders that is not a T8 premium.

Decent matches are 15-25k with premium, repairs are about 1-2k, ammo cost irrelevant.
Just treat it like the mad cockroach that it is (either zip around or scout when needed).

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Given this bit if evidence. Does this also work on the IS7? Of course it is tougher to do against that fast tank. But in closed quarters maybe backing him into a wall could be the end of him as well?

lol, no this does not work vs an IS-7. IS-7 can facehug any tank. The driver's hatch isn't really a vulnerability even up close. The cmdr's hatch is hard to pen; you'll break the optics 90% of the time instead. Even the gun apparently cannot be pen'd (with many other tanks including Maus, T110, and E-100, if you shoot down their barrel, you'll pen). In a 1v1 scenario, I almost always go for the facehug b/c I pretty much know I'll win. Works against other IS-7s too b/c most people think facehug = drive into them and you're done... which opens the window for me to turn and get a good angle on one facet of their front.

Yeah the IS-4 has always been awful for facehugging. There aren't many tanks that can't reach the driver's hatch at facehug range... and your cmdr's ports (as with the IS-3) become hittable at point blank. And the space between the top of the gun and the "flap" at the front-top of the turret is easy to pen. At close range, the IS-4 is all about mind-games with angling to try and get them to shoot your sides/track you. IS-4 just has so damn many weakpoints. They're more emphasized now that it's a tier10.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Yeah the only spot on the IS7 you should shoot from the front is the lower glacis at a distance of 200+ meters. If you hug an IS-7 you better be another IS-7 or have some backup.

and yeah... like I've been saying all this time, the IS-4 has a lot of weaknesses on the front. I can't imagine any good player would have any sort of problems with it. Heck, if you want to learn how to fight this thing you can pm me in game. SN is the same as my username here, poweryoga.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
lol, no this does not work vs an IS-7. IS-7 can facehug any tank. The driver's hatch isn't really a vulnerability even up close. The cmdr's hatch is hard to pen; you'll break the optics 90% of the time instead. Even the gun apparently cannot be pen'd (with many other tanks including Maus, T110, and E-100, if you shoot down their barrel, you'll pen). In a 1v1 scenario, I almost always go for the facehug b/c I pretty much know I'll win. Works against other IS-7s too b/c most people think facehug = drive into them and you're done... which opens the window for me to turn and get a good angle on one facet of their front.

Yeah the IS-4 has always been awful for facehugging. There aren't many tanks that can't reach the driver's hatch at facehug range... and your cmdr's ports (as with the IS-3) become hittable at point blank. And the space between the top of the gun and the "flap" at the front-top of the turret is easy to pen. At close range, the IS-4 is all about mind-games with angling to try and get them to shoot your sides/track you. IS-4 just has so damn many weakpoints. They're more emphasized now that it's a tier10.

Just drive back and forward when facehugging. Whenever i see someone is aiming at my commanders cupola in any tank im driving i start moving around so they wont get a precise shot. They wont have enough time to re-aim at your lower glacis while you are backed away before you slam off their tank again so they must take their shot at something and have a higher chance of dinging off and doing no damage. Works reasonably well.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Just drive back and forward when facehugging. Whenever i see someone is aiming at my commanders cupola in any tank im driving i start moving around so they wont get a precise shot. They wont have enough time to re-aim at your lower glacis while you are backed away before you slam off their tank again so they must take their shot at something and have a higher chance of dinging off and doing no damage. Works reasonably well.

If they hug you, that means they're moving forward. If they're moving forward you can only move backwards. So eventually you're going to hit a wall somewhere or turn, which opens up your side armor.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Not bad...
Victory!
Battle: Erlenberg יום*חמישי 17 מאי 2012 11:55:10
Vehicle: Type 59
Experience received: 3,962 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 116,740
Battle Achievements: Mastery Badge: Ace Tanker

59, if you dont do good in a 59.. you shouldnt be playing. even when the MM craps on you, a 59 can do good in all but the most extreme cases.. faster then almost any turrent that can do some hurt to you (if you close)... weak spots are all (for some reason) unknown to 90% of the players in the game as you watch up pound the turrent front.. Then you have the basicly the lowest profile tank in game.. any hill, any chunk of debre.. god mode.

with all that said 4000 is pretty sweet.. anything over 2000 make me quite happy.. I been keeping track of my ranking in match.. 68% in lower 1/4... in the last month. MM is shitting on me... eh its just a game.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
59, if you dont do good in a 59.. you shouldnt be playing. even when the MM craps on you, a 59 can do good in all but the most extreme cases.. faster then almost any turrent that can do some hurt to you (if you close)... weak spots are all (for some reason) unknown to 90% of the players in the game as you watch up pound the turrent front.. Then you have the basicly the lowest profile tank in game.. any hill, any chunk of debre.. god mode.

with all that said 4000 is pretty sweet.. anything over 2000 make me quite happy.. I been keeping track of my ranking in match.. 68% in lower 1/4... in the last month. MM is shitting on me... eh its just a game.

Mediums don't deal out as much damage as heavies, thus it is harder to get the killer payouts that Lowes, T34s, and even KV5's can get. Plus, with the introduction of the french 100's as well as the new russian 122s, the T59 is starting to look more like paper armor.

Certain tanks have so much pen I don't even bother to aim at weakspots anymore.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
If they hug you, that means they're moving forward. If they're moving forward you can only move backwards. So eventually you're going to hit a wall somewhere or turn, which opens up your side armor.

Yeah, depends what you're driving i guess. I usually facehug in my type 59 so i can outmaneuver quite a few other tanks. If im in my lowe or something though then its a bad idea.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Mediums don't deal out as much damage as heavies, thus it is harder to get the killer payouts that Lowes, T34s, and even KV5's can get. Plus, with the introduction of the french 100's as well as the new russian 122s, the T59 is starting to look more like paper armor.

Certain tanks have so much pen I don't even bother to aim at weakspots anymore.

And with the change in MM. Any tank with a T8 or higher gun can reliably penetrate a Type 59. That means Tier 8 through Tier 10 tanks are pretty solid at killing Type 59s. My Tiger II's biggest victim was the Type 59 over its career of 236 games. I killed 73 of them.

A type 59 as the top tank is deadly. A Type 59 in the middle of the pack is a target. More times than not my Type 59 is middle of the pack.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The VK2801 with the short 10.5 mm with HE is mighty fun too...it hurts even a Maus...and one-pops arty.

It' s the one I made most XP in...+2800 in a pub match is my record.

I agree, I have and like it also, but for fun, the t-50-2 is a bit more for me.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
How difficult is it to write code for the MM so it doesnt equate a Panther II, Type59 Type59 with IS3, Lowe, T34?

Seriously, is this difficult?

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
How difficult is it to write code for the MM so it doesnt equate a Panther II, Type59 Type59 with IS3, Lowe, T34?

Seriously, is this difficult?

I see many people whine over MM.
Mostly they are wrong just as much as they are right:

"OH..crappy MM...game is lost".

They are often mistaken...due to player skills.

People whine to much.

A much bigger problem is the "inviscible-wall-stp-here" physics.

Going 71km/h to 0 km/h...because the slope is just to steep is retarded, I assure you a real AFV wouldn't do that.

When they fix that...campers are gonna cry ;)

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I see many people whine over MM.
Mostly they are wrong just as much as they are right:

"OH..crappy MM...game is lost".

They are often mistaken...due to player skills.

People whine to much.

A much bigger problem is the "inviscible-wall-stp-here" physics.

Going 71km/h to 0 km/h...because the slope is just to steep is retarded, I assure you a real AFV wouldn't do that.

When they fix that...campers are gonna cry ;)

What are you talking about? I am asking is it really difficult to write code so the top tanks on one side arent mediums vs the others heavies. It is a legitimate complaint, not a whine. The MM shouldnt be so stupid as to equate tier 8 mediums with tier 8 heavies and call it even.