[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 248 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
One of my (smallish) gripes about the M18 hellcat is the number of shells you get. You are limited to 24. Normally thats a fair amount but that tank just loves to shoot. I have to conciously be careful about not getting trigger happy with it. Three times now I have run out of shells with the damn thing. LOL Never happens in my Slugger which has 36 shells in it.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
That makes more sense.
I had completely forgotten about the Winter War.

Right now I have the first level 57mm gun on it, it's great for sniping arty and lower tier tanks but has a hard time with anything above its tier.

Fully upgraded, it's a beast of a tank. The 57mm zis-4 is a fantastic gun in tier4 and still powerful in tier5 (T-34 is hilarious w/it... reload time <2sec). This was my 2nd tier4 tank and I was pulling like a 60% win rate and a couple of top guns even though I started at basically a 50% crew. I imagine it'd be even more awesome now if I tricked one out and played again now that I'm a better player :D

But your armor is *horrible*. Your hp pool is also kinda small, allowing some higher tier tanks to 1-shot you. So never get hit! You have the speed of a light tank but mobility is a bit less than the more nimble lights. You get a very punchy gun though, so the idea is to use your speed to move into covered/protected flanking positions (buildings, terrain, dead tanks, etc) using your team as distractions. Like don't just charge out; wait till the engagement starts and then go so the attention isn't on you. And wait for enemies to fire on your teammates/be distracted, then poke out and lay into their sides/asses.

But really don't go head to head with anything. Even light tanks. They'll penetrate your shit night and day. The other day, I wrecked a T-28 in my T-127.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
And...the lag continues. I've been having pretty sporatic but terrible lag since 7.3, and maybe even back to 7.2. Anybody else? My ping stays near 100 usually, but it suddenly spikes to 150-350, often when turning or doing some other input.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
and i'm off to take my break from tanks due to diablo 3 :D
good thing my prem expires tomorrow haha

Llwellyn

Feb 29, 2012
Had an interesting battle in the JpIV on Redshire. I ended up top tier, with the tier 6 VK medium as my match, and an IS on top on their side. There was a ton of low tier fodder in there too. I ended up getting a KV-2 to myself, 50% of the IS, and a couple of trinket idiots that drove right past in the open.

I ended up with a little over 1,000XP and 40K credits for that match, and got the Ace Tanker badge for the JpIV. It's my only one so far, but I'm a bit proud of it. Too bad I didn't do that well against some high tier stuff to earn it though.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
I'm liking the SU-152 much more this time (after I sold it due to frustration the first time).
You do get the odd triple-maus games once in a while but they are the exception rather than the rule - the MM for this slug is rather nice.

When you're anywhere near the top, the high-ROF 122mm (prefer them over the 152mm) is just completely unfair abuse on the enemy team.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Well, I recently am playing 4 new tanks. The GWE, the T54, the 13-90, and the new IS4. Two of these vehicles I have amazing records in. Two of these I am ~20% win ratio in. I can NOT buy a win in the IS4 or T54. And the T54 is almost unlocked, just need the turret and the gun. The IS4 is elited. They are cursed, they are my bane, I need to just sell them!

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
I had a bit of a "nostalgia" mode yesterday.
Spendt most of the day in LTractor and PzII....and had loads of fun.

I love the PzII...a real bully-brawler.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The IS4 is beastly..... if people don't know how to fight you. If you see me fighting an IS-4 you'll get penetrated every round with possible ammo rack damage.

This tank is just not that strong. The gun is fun, the armor can be angled nicely, but the super weak lower glacis is terrible. And did they nerf the gun depression or what? I used to be able to go hull down in certain places and I find myself struggling to do so now.

Also just noticed.... my T-82 has a 100% win rate out of 14 games played. :D

Last edited:

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
The IS4 is beastly..... if people don't know how to fight you. If you see me fighting an IS-4 you'll get penetrated every round with possible ammo rack damage.

This tank is just not that strong. The gun is fun, the armor can be angled nicely, but the super weak lower glacis is terrible. And did they nerf the gun depression or what? I used to be able to go hull down in certain places and I find myself struggling to do so now.

Also just noticed.... my T-82 has a 100% win rate out of 14 games played. :D

Yes. The gun depression is shit now :( And it feels less mobile too.

I want my tier-9 IS-4 back. It was basically the same tank as the tier 10 version but just 1 tier lower. Fuck. The extra HP doesn't make up for magnifying all its other weaknesses.

Yeah the lower glacis is like paper. It might be even easier to pen than the E-100. They buffed the driver's hatch but as far as I'm concerned, it didn't help. And the shoulders are stronger which lets me angle a bit more but not enough to overcome how shitty the lower glacis is.

The frame just doesn't make any sense with the higher ROF gun. With the S-70, it was easy to reverse PaB around corners and whack people hard. Now I have to poke out more often which is obnoxious. And I'm too sluggish to aggressively take advantage of my ROF.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
My poor Panther II. Was running at 68-70% win rate. It is now being stung by the MM with fail teams. Falling down to 60% in the past two days :( I am sure this will end like my T20 which also started off strong. Right around 50-55%.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
My poor Panther II. Was running at 68-70% win rate. It is now being stung by the MM with fail teams. Falling down to 60% in the past two days :( I am sure this will end like my T20 which also started off strong. Right around 50-55%.

I suspect that the MM sometimes put you on piss poor teams...just to even out the win rate.

Llwellyn

Feb 29, 2012
A chuckle from last night that I forgot to put in my previous post...

Malinovka. I was in my T1 heavy trying for daily double. Our top tier is a Tiger II and theirs is an IS-3 (I think). They also have a KV-3 and a JT, and I forget what else we had.

The Tiger II says at the beginning, "I know guys! Let's try something totally different!" I'm actually expecting something useful to get mentioned, but he says "Let's wait two minutes, and then rush the middle!" I cringed, but pulled up to the line and started plinking at anybody who peeked out from behind the buildings, tracking them or dinging weak spots.

Everyone decides to actually listen to the Tiger, and at 13:00 on the clock, they all tear ass right across the middle of the field. I stayed put, certain we were going to get destroyed, since they still had the IS-3, JT and KV-3 pointed right at us.

The enemy team freaked the hell out, scattered, and got annihilated. I rolled tail and made for the base and picked off some low tiers that were hiding from our slow movers, and we ended up knocking out the last tank at 66% enemy base capped. I earned a Confederate medal for damaging 7 tanks.

I have never actually seen a field rush work before, and certainly not effectively. I think we won with over 10 tanks left. They just panicked and got slaughtered like sheep because they left cover to run away.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I have never actually seen a field rush work before, and certainly not effectively. I think we won with over 10 tanks left. They just panicked and got slaughtered like sheep because they left cover to run away.

It works sometimes. Best is when you delay a few minutes to allow time for the enemy to scatter. Even better is when most of the tanks hide and not announce their presence to the enemy until the charge.

If I am on the side without buildings and I am top tier or near top tier then by default, I charge up the side.

Feb 19, 2009
IS-4 always had a crap lower glacis, at tier 9 it also had a crap driver port and front sides w/ ammo rack. Now with an angle, the only weakspot is the lower plate. Which is fine if you compare it to every other tier 9/10 tank, they all have a weak lower plate, some even weaker: E-100, T110 etc, in the case of the E-100, its lower plate is the size of an IS-4 hull so its an easy target even at long range.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Played in my American TDs tonight. Mostly wins which is nice. Warlock MotA taking up most of my game time last few days.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
me neither, but actually been playing other stuff (trying to finish alan wake). I tend to log on just for kicks or for 1-2 games, don't really care much about doubles at moment.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
So...is everyone playing D3 now or what? :)

Nope, just out of time.

Anyone up for some platooning Friday night? I'm gonna be on around 7-10pst. I generally play T3-T6 tanks. My KV-2 would like to use you as a shield.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Nope, just out of time.

Anyone up for some platooning Friday night? I'm gonna be on around 7-10pst. I generally play T3-T6 tanks. My KV-2 would like to use you as a shield.

No one's in the channel, atot password moomoo.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Havent bought D3. Probably be a while before I do if I do. Too much other stuff on my game plate right now. Coming up on a four day weekend so I expect to split my time between Warlock and WoT and my other standby games.