[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 245 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I got a S-51 with the recent sale too. I'd be interested in any tips you have on using it from your recent experience.

I'm somewhat of an arty newb and have only played maybe a few dozen games with tier 2 T57 and Buffalo when I first started WOT (my friend who introduced me to WOT loved playing them). I enjoyed the support role that arty did, but then got sucked into playing tank destroyers and normal tanks and haven't had the time to go back. This S-51 sale lets me jump back in at the medium tier level (branching off of the KV-2) without having played anything but tier 2 arty before so my arty skills are probably going to be lacking.

Also, I'm curious if you added any equipment like a rammer or gun laying drive? The load and aim time both sound so slow that it doesn't sound like cutting a little bit off of it would be a big payoff. I'm currently credit poor and tired of grinding for more after pushing to earn the IS-4 (before the 7.3 patch).

B-4 can only carry 12 shells, which in most cases is enough thanks to the low rate of fire.

O_O

I think I'm buying the S-51 tonight/tomorrow. Haven't played any arty since a few rounds @ Tier2, so looking for something different.

Last edited:

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Rammer and gun laying drive (faster aim) are pretty much requirements for arty. Vents for the few arty that can equip them (object 212 for russians, not sure on any others) and for the ones that can't, camo net. Use "x" button to lock your tracks to keep small left/right movements from turning your tracks, which will reset your aim circle to ginormous. This is always useful, but the russian arties suffer from very small manueverable turret angles (maybe +-5 degrees, if that), so try to lock them centered on where you are shooting to give you the most leverage if your target starts moving. Learn where the best arty spots are on the map that give the best map coverage and give you some sort of protection from getting spotting from a scout. Always MOVE after shooting, you dont have to exit god mode, just move. If you dont you will be counter batteried. The only time you can safely not move after shooting is if the enemy arty are dead.

Most arty carry limited amounts of shells. It seems like a drawback and something to be worried about, but out of my 1000 or so arty games I've only run out of ammo 3 times. At that point the game is usually going to end in a draw anyway. If you've shot all your shells (and not missed a shitton), you've done your part. I carry about 24k worth of damage potential in my 261, which theoretically could all be gone in less than 7 minutes. Most of the time though, I dont have constant targets to shoot at, and if I do just 20% of that damage potential, I've done my part, my team should be able to handle the rest from there.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
How's this guy's s-51 play?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv3GLPZe2Zw&feature=relmfu

Pretty standard for decent arty play? moving around after shots, leading shots, etc.

Basically, should I be doing what the guy in the video is doing?

pretty much what I do, but arty is all about knowing where you can move to in order to hit some guy behind the house. Especially if you have a big splasher like GW type E or T-92.

I'm using rammer, gun laying drive and camo on the arty, running an 80% crew that I moved over from other tanks.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just got the patton with the 105mm gun. Holy crap. This thing hits like a truck and MAKES the enemy react to you.

mclee025

Apr 9, 2012
Rammer and gun laying drive (faster aim) are pretty much requirements for arty. Vents for the few arty that can equip them (object 212 for russians, not sure on any others) and for the ones that can't, camo net. Use "x" button to lock your tracks to keep small left/right movements from turning your tracks, which will reset your aim circle to ginormous. This is always useful, but the russian arties suffer from very small manueverable turret angles (maybe +-5 degrees, if that), so try to lock them centered on where you are shooting to give you the most leverage if your target starts moving. Learn where the best arty spots are on the map that give the best map coverage and give you some sort of protection from getting spotting from a scout. Always MOVE after shooting, you dont have to exit god mode, just move. If you dont you will be counter batteried. The only time you can safely not move after shooting is if the enemy arty are dead.

Most arty carry limited amounts of shells. It seems like a drawback and something to be worried about, but out of my 1000 or so arty games I've only run out of ammo 3 times. At that point the game is usually going to end in a draw anyway. If you've shot all your shells (and not missed a shitton), you've done your part. I carry about 24k worth of damage potential in my 261, which theoretically could all be gone in less than 7 minutes. Most of the time though, I dont have constant targets to shoot at, and if I do just 20% of that damage potential, I've done my part, my team should be able to handle the rest from there.

Thanks for the great arty tips LurkerPrime. They are all very much appreciated and I'll put them to good use when I get a chance to play the S-51. :)

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Another odd thing about arty, and maybe I'm crazy, but I find that accuracy is higher during movement. Yeah, I feel like I have a better chance of hitting a moving target than a stationary target, which makes no sense.

My guess (aka conspiracy theory), there's some sort of inaccuracy-inducer built into the game when the SPG is stationary. Let's call this the forum-crybaby-SPG-innacuracy-inducer, or "FC-SPG-II." I'm also guessing that the FC-SPG-II is disabled during tank or gun movement, so the shot lands pretty well where you intended it to land when you are moving the gun. So if you guess the future location and travel time of the shell properly, it will hit more often than stationary shots, which have a VERY annoying habit of missing a perfect target for no reason.

Or...I play too much while drunk, and my stationary targeting skills are inferior to my motion tracking abilities. Oh, hey, that's not a bad theory either. I'm still sticking with the FC-SPG-II.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
This, boys and girls, is a perfect example of what we were talking about a few days ago RE: epic fail teams. replay download

This probably would have been my best game ever XP wise (not to mention an x5 :( ) if we'd won.

tl;dr version if you don't want to watch the replay:
I kill 8 enemies including 3 of their tier 8 tanks and 3 of their tier 7 (it's a tier 8 match).
Just after I get my last kill, we have 11 tanks left and they have 5 (at this point I have 2 AP rounds left and ~130 HP).
We still lose.

shot_006.jpg

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
holy shit, fail team indeed.

had one of those last night, rolled those bitches but one lonely t-50 made it to our cap and none of us could make it back in time.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Michael Jordan couldn't carry the team to the playoffs, very sad to hear indeed.

But just had a beastly game in my t-50-2!

Victory!
Battle: Prokhorovka Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:35:17 PM
Vehicle: T-50-2
Experience received: 6,160 (x5 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 21,511
Battle Achievements: Mastery Badge: Ace Tanker

No premium though, sad.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
I got the Lorrain and tried it out. Damage and mobility suck as it is stock as expected but the aim time and time between shots is just horrible!

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
So the IS-8 is pretty much a faster IS3 in terms of armor and maneuverability. With a better gun but the depression and elevation have to be the worst of all in game tanks.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I got the Lorrain and tried it out. Damage and mobility suck as it is stock as expected but the aim time and time between shots is just horrible!

And yet people do quite good with it in battles from what I have seen.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I thought the IS8's depression wasn't terrible compared to all the other russian tanks. Fairly normal, but you can't go hull down with this thing. Cover is either too high or too low and people can hit the tumors on the side very easily... bounced shots from the front can ricochet right in.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Compared to IS4 while it was tier 9, I can't take many shots due to terrain. I have to account for terrain where that wasn't an issue with the IS4. I see people complaining about the armor but IMO, complaints are invalid. IS8 with better armor, it will render mediums obsolete.

Can't motivate myself to drive the KV3, though the ST1 and the T30 are the only in game tanks l'm interested in.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
So the IS-8 is pretty much a faster IS3 in terms of armor and maneuverability. With a better gun but the depression and elevation have to be the worst of all in game tanks.
I don't think it's like an IS-3. It is much more like a fast T34...no armor but good gun.

Edit: I just unlocked the tier 10 gun for the IS-8 and IS-4. Holy crap this is going to be fun on the IS-8. The IS-4 is a beast with it. I need to run my T34 a bit just to afford another one (300k credits!) to put on the IS-8!

Last edited:

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Had my fastest loss ever in the Panther 2 today. Went hill and down without any enemy in sight, they started capping before I even reached their base. Turns out our T34, T29 and even the Lowe went hill too. It was over just as they climbed the hill.

I think there are even more matches with tier 10's after the patch.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
yea i've hardly seen arty, however there's generally 5+ tier X's in matches now, makes it more fun as it's not just beating up on noobs and you have to actually aim and try now.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Had my fastest loss ever in the Panther 2 today. Went hill and down without any enemy in sight, they started capping before I even reached their base. Turns out our T34, T29 and even the Lowe went hill too. It was over just as they climbed the hill.

I think there are even more matches with tier 10's after the patch.

yea i've hardly seen arty, however there's generally 5+ tier X's in matches now, makes it more fun as it's not just beating up on noobs and you have to actually aim and try now.

Had a match the other day where 3 of the 5 tier Xs on the enemy team were platooned mauses. Only had 1 arty. 3 mauses sticking together is just too much armor and HP for an unorganized team to deal with. I really need to find a new clan to platoon up tier Xs and arty (makes things so much easier). Although with D3 coming out in a few days, I'm putting that off b/c I dont want to join a clan and then disappear for a few months (assuming D3 will hold my interest for awhile). Its already bad enough I bought warlock yesterday and lost 5 hours of my life to "just one more turn".

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I have been seeing plenty of arty. But maybe that is due to the 3x and 5x first win specials. And they always manage to pick me out of the group to decimate. Panther II or T110E2, E100, or IS7? Think I can make the biggest impact on gang banging the Panther II. At least the times these arty do something like that they always lose.

I can unlock the E50 but wont. Rather use that free experience to upgrade it. Need about another 70 matches in my Panther II. Luckily this is one fun tank to drive!

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
For some reason I thought it ran until the 14th. So I went to buy more modules this morning for my eventual push to the Patton. They are full price again :(