[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 218 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
damnit!!!! need to get my GF out of the house for the weekend.

son of a bitch, i didnt think a sale was coming anytime soon so i just dropped 3.2 mil on equipment for my kv-3 and lorraine

:( fffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
son of a bitch, i didnt think a sale was coming anytime soon so i just dropped 3.2 mil on equipment for my kv-3 and lorraine

:( fffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

My IS4 will finally get redecked out after everything of worth went to the IS7.

Speaking of the IS4, I felt bad for the opposing team last time I played this thing. I was on ruinburg with another IS4 platooned up. We were top tier and the opposing force had a 704 and a T95 for their 9's. I just rolled up town and trolled everything I came across with proper angling. My platoon-mate did a perfect crossfire push and the 95 was screwed from flanking. It must have pissed off the enemy something fierce when they tried to shoot me, dinged and I smacked their front cog for 450 damage and tracking. Ended up with 5 kills and my bud got another 3. Not bad with an 80% crew and no equipment!

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
The Is-7's bugged spaced armor on the top (above the wheels) is currently invulnerable for the most part. There's a youtube video of the test... if you want to damage it, shoot the hull that's being covered by the tracks. Of course, this means your shot will do less damage because it has to go through the track etc etc.

Also for the penetration... i've had it happen a lot on my obj 704 (people shooting me). I'd get a penned... and nothing happens. Don't lose health, module intact, etc. I think it might damage the a module but not enough to put it into yellow hp, but not sure how that works.

It's not a bug. The IS-3 and IS-7 have similar hull layouts:
forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/103067-is3-taking-no-damage-when-shot-in-the-sides/

The hull armor covered by the spaced armor 'skirt' is inclined at an incredible angle. Spaced+hull angle turns the IS-3's 90mm side armor into something like 210-220mm effective. So the IS-7's 150mm of hull armor is probably like 330mm effective. The spaced armor is pretty thin so you pen that easily--this causes your crew to announce "Penetration!" or whatever. But then you bounce off the actual hull armor.

And those numbers are if you're firing at the hull from a 90deg angle. If you're tilted at all the numbers can get truly massive. Against even IS-3s, I never shoot the spaced armor even with a tier10 gun.

Also, yes, omfg 0 damage "penetration" is infuriating. My sense (not substantiated w/any evidence) is that this is happening more now in 7.2. The other day, my M103 & my clanmate's T110 hit an enemy M103 like 6 or 7 times between us. NO damage. And we got the "We hit them hard!" or "Penetration!" message EVERY fucking time (seriously we never even heard "critical hit"). That guy had some fucking miracle armor or maybe a miracle radioman/driver or something, godamn.

I think the IS-7/IS-3 issue could be greatly mitigated if they simply changed the way the crew messages work so that you don't get "Penetration!" when you only pen the skirts.

But for shots that actually penetrate the hull, they need to get rid of
1) shell damage "eaten" by crew or trivial modules. A human isn't going to prevent the tank shell from fucking up the rest of the tank. Neither is the radio! Give me a break.
2) shell damaged prevented by crew/modules that get a lucky "saving throw." This is absolutely ridiculous. I can understand having saving throws so modules/crew dont just die constantly, but in those cases the shell should CONTINUE onward and deal hull damage
3) shots where "looks like that went straight through!" Really? In one side, out the other, and NO damage? REALLY?! This "feature" shouldn't even be in the game.

If you penetrate the hull (not spaced armor), you should deal damage. Period.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
My IS4 will finally get redecked out after everything of worth went to the IS7.

Speaking of the IS4, I felt bad for the opposing team last time I played this thing. I was on ruinburg with another IS4 platooned up. We were top tier and the opposing force had a 704 and a T95 for their 9's. I just rolled up town and trolled everything I came across with proper angling. My platoon-mate did a perfect crossfire push and the 95 was screwed from flanking. It must have pissed off the enemy something fierce when they tried to shoot me, dinged and I smacked their front cog for 450 damage and tracking. Ended up with 5 kills and my bud got another 3. Not bad with an 80% crew and no equipment!

Is-4 is a great bully tank, and it's really quite sad the mm decided a T-95 and 704 were good matchups... though if those 2 TDs worked together I can see quite a few choke points that would get bogged down.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
well sure, you can't really be expected to fight a T10 heavy in a T9 medium and win... That'd be a bit unfair wouldn't it?

Unless its a maus, then you can kill it easily in any t9 medium.

I am not saying they should only that is the closest thing the Germans have to a MBT.

Tequila

Oct 24, 1999
Well I finally got the KV and I must say this has been one huge disappointment especially after reading about people raving about it. I hate this beast with a passion and feeling
buyer's remorse big time. Here's been my experience so far.

First off yes, I did pay 1k gold to train crew to 100% and I never auto aim. I don't have the 152derp or 107 yet which I'm sure would make it a bit more fun but there's too many drawbacks to this behometh including:

80% of my games I find myself on the bottom fighting against tier6-8. This is no fun at all. I can't kill anything and I die in 1-2 hits.

Arty owns me since I'm slow and takes forever to move.

TD owns me because I can't see shit. Now I know why I love my Marder II so much :)

Slow... slow and fricken slow. Slow to move slow to accelerate and slow to traverse. I feel like I'm stuck in a pool of molasses from start to finish. God forbid I have to go uphill at any point.

Also when I'm in fights with tier 5-8 the battle takes sooo damn long that it's not even worth it. I can do two in my marder in that time span.

The TD style fits me much more. I love sniping and being a sneaky bastard. I'm definitely going for the Hetzer next.

In the meantime I'll be playing my Marder II to pile up more XP. In that tier tanks just melt like buttah to my 76pak36 :)

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I don't have the 152derp or 107 yet

Stop.

KV is shit until you get either of these guns. Complete, utter, shit. KV is worthless without these guns. If you have either one of these, you can kill tanks up to tier 8 without much issues, but you will have problems fighting tier 8 frontally. Shoot them in the side, and you can kill even lowes and IS-3s with no issues. You will MURDER tier 6 tanks, and be a serious threat to tier 7. The first thing I shoot in any engagement is a KV with the 152, unless I see an arty... then I shoot those.

Unless you're on top, don't push. Follow big tanks, wait till other tanks shoot before moving in to take your potshots. Other tanks WILL see you as a big juicy target with a big gun that needs to be taken out. If you're not on top, you're a support gun platform. Remember that, and don't try to be brave. You can take at most 2 hits from russian 122/107s, and 3 hits from german 105 and 88s. That's if you have the box turret.

Arty owns me since I'm slow and takes forever to move.

TD owns me because I can't see shit. Now I know why I love my Marder II so much :)

Slow... slow and fricken slow. Slow to move slow to accelerate and slow to traverse. I feel like I'm stuck in a pool of molasses from start to finish. God forbid I have to go uphill at any point.

If you think the KV is slow.... the KV-3 is slower, and even the IS-4 is about the same speed and maneuverability. The Tiger and KT are actually slower than the KV, and the T-29 about the same speed and just as nimble.

Also, arty is the hard counter to heavy tanks. So nothing you can do about it really.... learn arty blind spots and hope to god the other team decide to shoot other tanks instead of you. Don't be the first one spotted, and don't be the only one out in the open.

You shouldn't be pushing in a KV, let others do it especially if you're on the lower tier. The KV is very indicative of heavy tanks in general. If you need a fast tank, I recommend stopping the KV tree right now and go with the russian medium line. The T-series are nimble and fast, but their guns are pretty bad.

Play it like a TD, you'll have a much better experience. Trust me.

So is there a gun that doesnt penetrate the IS4 now? lol

Most tier 8 guns have problems penetrating the IS4 (minus the very accurate 105) unless they hit the hatch or the sides. Most tier 9 and 10 guns cut through it like butter as usual.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I have to agree with PowerYoga, the KV isn't the KV unless you have the 107 or 152 (derp) on it. Those guns destroy anything in your tier and have no problems hurting higher tier tanks. No matter what tier tank your in, getting hit by a KV derp sucks. Once you get those guns, you wont care about being placed in higher tier matches as much. Shooting up a tier 8 in your tier 5 = butloads of xp and credits. You can make more xp/credits shooting up 1-2 tier 8s than killing an entire team of tier 3-5s.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Managed to do a few things...bought the T29 back, since I really, really want the M103 :p
Also bought a KV to use as a credit grinder while the Lowe's in battle, plus finally unlocked the SU-100 and now working on getting some free xp for the 100mm before playing it.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
damn fail teams all morning so far
i take out 4-7 every match yet i constantly lose LOLLLLLLL

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
If that happens at least you still make money. I had a few matches where we lost, and I ended up with over 1k exp and some 60k credits.... non-premium.

I think I single handedly took out 2 IS-4s and a Maus that game (was in an IS-4 myself) and I actually almost ran out of shells. The shells actually ended up costing me about 40k so I didn't make much money... but still. If I was engaging 2 tier 9s and a tier X, wtf was the rest of my team doing?

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
not defending cap or all rushing 1 way then stopping when 1 tank is spotted.......
seems to be the prevailing mindset nowadays

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
You also have to love when a T-50-2 rides past more than half your team, and not a single person could hit him. Or its even better when none of them even bother shooting. The number of people who can't hit something moving faster than a KV astounds me. My arty stats wouldn't even be close to the win rate I have now if I didn't kill some of the scouts myself.

I can't tell you how many times I've been on abbey and not a single team member went the 8 line. You can imagine how that turns out. Then there are the other times half your team goes 8 line, gets held up by 1-2 tanks and gets artied to death.
All these people without premium are too damn scared to get the paint scratched on thier tanks and it ends up costing everyone.

I also think that if your base gets capped, you should have to pay full repair price regardless if you took damage or not. I've lost too many games, where if a team mate would have gone back and just hit a single person, we would have won. However they didn't want to have to take the hits and pay the repair costs, so they just took the loss.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
hey that's a GREAT idea about getting capped, that would stop all the people scared to go back or show themselves and getting shot, i ALWAYS push thru, i guess that's why i suck hahah my stats suck but i have to play aggressive, i know no other way.
usually as soon as i push and get around the guy(s) holding my team up and they turn turrets to kill me, and yes i usually end up dying but by then my team commits and starts pushing also. so worth it, i feel like a dad watching my kids grow up

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
hey that's a GREAT idea about getting capped, that would stop all the people scared to go back or show themselves and getting shot, i ALWAYS push thru, i guess that's why i suck hahah my stats suck but i have to play aggressive, i know no other way.
usually as soon as i push and get around the guy(s) holding my team up and they turn turrets to kill me, and yes i usually end up dying but by then my team commits and starts pushing also. so worth it, i feel like a dad watching my kids grow up

Maybe only 2 out of the 10 times I do this does my team actually commit. Even if I let them know what I'm going to do, and tell them to join me, they still don't get it right.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Got the T25/2 tonight. Reading the WoT forums most saying it is a let down from the T-49 and M18 Hellcat. It is slow even with upgraded engine. Stock M3 90mm gun is underpowered for the tier too feels like. I'll know more once I get it fully upgraded. Not expecting anything great considering all the talk I'm hearing about it.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Got the T25/2 tonight. Reading the WoT forums most saying it is a let down from the T-49 and M18 Hellcat. It is slow even with upgraded engine. Stock M3 90mm gun is underpowered for the tier too feels like. I'll know more once I get it fully upgraded. Not expecting anything great considering all the talk I'm hearing about it.

It's fast, just not nearly as fast as the Hellcat. It can still do some good shoot and scoot fighting though. It's just not fast enough to make up for mistakes. Then gun is meh since you already had it with the Hellcat.

Only reason I really don't hate it though is I had researched up to the T95 so 75% of the research for these new American TDs is already done for me.

The T28 prototype is already all done for me except for the tracks. :)

Tequila

Oct 24, 1999
Ok so an update on my KV experience. I was a bit upset and finally went for the 152 derp. Well I became even more upset when I realized I can go make a snack in the time that thing reloads lol and you got to be close range to use it. So wanting to know what the 107 would be like I just bought gold and then got the KV-5.

Now the KV-5 is a whole different story! The thing is a monster with 2x the armor of the KV and even 6km/h faster. I'm also totally in love with the 107 :D That gun is so wicked. You can snipe and you can do some nasty CCB damage.

The best part is I'm almost always top tier in the MM, sometimes there are a few tier9 in there but I've never seen a tier10(are there just so few of them?). And I get a boatload of xp out of the KV-5. I had close to a 70% win ratio before a bad streak bumped me back down to 65%. I don't even have that great of a battles/killed ratio with it but I survive a long time and do tons of damage. I never thought I'd love the heavies but the KV-5 showed me the way. It is hard adjusting to the slow movement but you eventually get used to it.

I had some really damn fun epic city battles in that thing. There was one were I kept playing peekabo with two heavies totally distracting them from my team taking taking the base. There was tons of metal scraping, tracking, repairing, tracking again and bounced shots and I died eventually but we won :) Now I'm quite addicted to this monster. I might just stay with it for a long time and build up enough xp to skip a few of the heavies.

The funny thing after playing my KV-5 is when I go back to my rapid fire Marder I forget I can shoot so fast. Sometimes I shoot and wait way to long to shoot again. It's hard to get reprogrammed after the KV-5.

Oh and thanks for your reply PowerYoga. That was some good info!

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
oh there's tons of tier 10s
the KV-5 matchmaker is really kind as it has a lower tier gun but nice armor and speed.
it will never see a tier 10 unless you platton with another 8 or higher

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm starting to think I made a mistake leaving my 2+ skill trained best crew on the T34, and buying a new (100% gold) crew for my T110E5.

I just joined a clan and it seems like I'll want that tier 10 to be better for that, instead of the T34 - but I hardly want to spend 2000 gold to swap the crews. Ah well.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
I'm starting to think I made a mistake leaving my 2+ skill trained best crew on the T34, and buying a new (100% gold) crew for my T110E5.

I just joined a clan and it seems like I'll want that tier 10 to be better for that, instead of the T34 - but I hardly want to spend 2000 gold to swap the crews. Ah well.

You know that a premium tank of type Y (type=hvy, med, etc) from country X can run any tank crew of type Y from country X?

Like your T110 crew could be put in the T34 and they would experience 0 penalty. I'd definitely suggest having your most experienced crew in your CW tanks. So you could retrain cmdr, gunner, driver, loader for the T110. Then you could...
1) swap them between T110 & T34 as needed.
2) throw the current T110 members onto the T34 w/o retraining.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
You know that a premium tank of type Y (type=hvy, med, etc) from country X can run any tank crew of type Y from country X?

Like your T110 crew could be put in the T34 and they would experience 0 penalty. I'd definitely suggest having your most experienced crew in your CW tanks. So you could retrain cmdr, gunner, driver, loader for the T110. Then you could...
1) swap them between T110 & T34 as needed.
2) throw the current T110 members onto the T34 w/o retraining.

Ah, hm... so I just wasted 800g training up a t110 crew - I should have trained 4 of the T34 crew for the T110E5, and they they can go in T34. Still can for 800 gold. Sigh.

Last edited: