[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 217 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Man the grind to getting the KV was getting to me in my T-28 so I switched back to my Marder II and haven't looked back. Once I got it to elite status it's been xp farming time :) I have got 6k xp just from it that I can convert toward my KV goal. I'm going to hold here and not even bother with the hetzer. I'm going to focus on getting my crew to 100% and get all the perks and goodies.

Thing about the marder is finding the right spot. On some maps I just can't figure out where to go and I end up in a bad place and get killed right away. But on others I can sniff out the right spot and patiently wait for my kills to come right to me.

Glad you are enjoying the game. Try not to spend a fortune though using gold to convert xp. Also a few pointers:
1. You can move your trained crew to other tanks and retrain them to the new tank. If you have unassigned xp (haven't picked an extra skill) that will be used to make up the xp lost for reassigning your crew to a new tank. So if you know you are going to move a crew soon, dont pick a skill so when you move them, you wont have to play as many games to get them back to 100%.
2. tier 5 tanks are usually the best money makers besides the tier 8 premiums (unless you run a premium account, then you may have better luck on higher tier tanks)
3. dont ever use auto aim
4. If you do get addicted, get a tier 8 premium. You'll need it to fund your higher tier purchases and get modules. The credits they generate are just sickening.
5. Put a Rammer and Vents on your tanks (dont bother till you get tier 5+ tanks though). They are expensive, but worth it.

I ended up downloading the demo for Panzer Corp last night. Wow, its IS panzer general for the most part. I miss having commanders for each unit and multiple moves/commander special abilities, but the xp system, upgrading, and a few other things seem to make up for it somewhat. I'll probably end up buying it when I get home tonight. I need a small break from WoT anyway.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
man they need to buff the speed of the new US 9/10s
they seem to get to choke points as fast as the meds.
also they're wolfpacking like crazy right now and it's tough
to take them down

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I think that will be a major issue with this game going forward. The day an IS7 beat my T20 to the hill in mines I knew there was an issue. Now the American heavies fly around the map as well. I think it is a game balance issue when heavies are able to move about the map like mediums.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I think that will be a major issue with this game going forward. The day an IS7 beat my T20 to the hill in mines I knew there was an issue. Now the American heavies fly around the map as well. I think it is a game balance issue when heavies are able to move about the map like mediums.

That's what happens as we keep pushing into mid 1950's era tanks and transitioning to the main battle tank. :|

I will say the Hellcat is easily my most loved and favorite tank now. This tank is INSANE! i don't know why they gave it the 90mm... but damn I love it. That gun just punches holes in everything and the speed and mobility make this tank really scary.

Me and my brother were platooning ours last night and we just dominated, when we'd get a third Hellcat going with us we were looking at 3-4 kills each. That just destroys the other team when a couple fast tanks with big guns pop out, fire, annihilate and go away.

I'll never touch my Chaffee again at this rate!

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
That's what happens as we keep pushing into mid 1950's era tanks and transitioning to the main battle tank. :|

I will say the Hellcat is easily my most loved and favorite tank now. This tank is INSANE! i don't know why they gave it the 90mm... but damn I love it. That gun just punches holes in everything and the speed and mobility make this tank really scary.

Me and my brother were platooning ours last night and we just dominated, when we'd get a third Hellcat going with us we were looking at 3-4 kills each. That just destroys the other team when a couple fast tanks with big guns pop out, fire, annihilate and go away.

I'll never touch my Chaffee again at this rate!

I think you are absolutley right about going into the 1950s and the concept of the MBT. But this is a game that isnt using that much historical accuracy on these vehicles anyways. So a tone down of the speed for game balance isnt a stretch at all.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I think you are absolutley right about going into the 1950s and the concept of the MBT. But this is a game that isnt using that much historical accuracy on these vehicles anyways. So a tone down of the speed for game balance isnt a stretch at all.

No I agree, and so much is already changed for balance. But good luck getting them to nerf the IS-7. We'll have to see with the Soviet patch though, I think it's just going to get worse when they split the trees.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
They need to fix the IS-7, it has bugged spaced armor on the sides right now that make it tougher than it actually is. Other than that the IS-7 isn't very hard to damage.... provided it isn't you he's looking at.

Thing is, unless the introduce the leopard 1 germans have nothing resembling a MBT, and that's slightly out of scope.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
They need to fix the IS-7, it has bugged spaced armor on the sides right now that make it tougher than it actually is. Other than that the IS-7 isn't very hard to damage.... provided it isn't you he's looking at.

Thing is, unless the introduce the leopard 1 germans have nothing resembling a MBT, and that's slightly out of scope.

Closest thing they have is the E-50. Which is nearly a Tiger II that can do 60kph. But really no match for T10 heavies at all.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Closest thing they have is the E-50. Which is nearly a Tiger II that can do 60kph. But really no match for T10 heavies at all.

well sure, you can't really be expected to fight a T10 heavy in a T9 medium and win... That'd be a bit unfair wouldn't it?

Unless its a maus, then you can kill it easily in any t9 medium.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010

That would explain a lot with the IS-7 side armor and probably what makes it so hard to kill. I hate shooting that thing from the side, even 90 degree angles make the round bounce or not penetrate.

And speaking of penetration, anyone else getting the "Penetration!" and no damage. Like complete ghost round. No critical hit no markings nothing. Just penetrating hit and nothing happens. o_O

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Yeah, I think it is going to get worse going forward as well. They pretty much used up all the known WW2 tanks, with the exception of the Brits and Japs. Going into the 1950s has been a big mistake in my view but they already unbottled the genie from the bottle and there is no putting it back now. The Devs ever consuming desire and search to make new stuff for the consumer is never ending. At some point they will completely ruin the game for me. Not there yet though. I do however feel it coming.

Never have I seen TDs rushing in like fast mediums or scouts as I have since this last patch. I mean wow! T-49s and Hellcats flying in out of nowhere. Even seeing Sluggers following them in. Kind of reminds me of the early game when battles only lasted three minutes or so after a huge armor rush battle royal.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
t110's are pen'ng me w/o any issues, but unless i can get a perfect shot @ the hatch, or come along the side,i can't do shit to it in my is-7 now

lower glacis on that sucker is a crap shoot

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
JUst saw this. Unfortunately no sale on tank slots. I need some extras too. :-(

The Battle of Heilbronn was a severe WWII struggle between the United States Army and the German Army for the control of Heilbronn, a mid-sized city on the Neckar River located between Stuttgart and Heidelberg. The battle lasted for nine days in April 1945, when the war was about to be over. However the clashes at Heilbronn showed very firm German resistance and the presence of various Nazi Party auxiliaries among the regular German troops. Day by day troops of the U.S. 100th Infantry Division captured Heilbronn, and the U.S. VI Corps continued its march to the southeast.

In remembrance of the historical Battle of Heilbronn, World of Tanks is glad to announce the new special which is due to run through the upcoming weekend. Starting from April 6, 04:30 PDT, until April 9, 04:00 PDT (April 6, 11:30 UTC, till April 9, 11:00 UTC) the following offers will be available for all tankees:

50% discount on Barracks enlarging - 150 gold (normally 300 gold)
50% discount on equipment
50% discount on JagdPz IV, Jagdpanther, M4A3E8 Sherman, T20.

Get ready for the Battle of Heilbronn and use the special offers at full for a perfect score!

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
That would explain a lot with the IS-7 side armor and probably what makes it so hard to kill. I hate shooting that thing from the side, even 90 degree angles make the round bounce or not penetrate.

And speaking of penetration, anyone else getting the "Penetration!" and no damage. Like complete ghost round. No critical hit no markings nothing. Just penetrating hit and nothing happens. o_O

The Is-7's bugged spaced armor on the top (above the wheels) is currently invulnerable for the most part. There's a youtube video of the test... if you want to damage it, shoot the hull that's being covered by the tracks. Of course, this means your shot will do less damage because it has to go through the track etc etc.

Also for the penetration... i've had it happen a lot on my obj 704 (people shooting me). I'd get a penned... and nothing happens. Don't lose health, module intact, etc. I think it might damage the a module but not enough to put it into yellow hp, but not sure how that works.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
50% discount on Barracks enlarging - 150 gold (normally 300 gold)
50% discount on equipment
50% discount on JagdPz IV, Jagdpanther, M4A3E8 Sherman, T20.

damnit!!!! need to get my GF out of the house for the weekend.

Llwellyn

Feb 29, 2012
I'm about 3K XP away from unlocking the JPIV, I just might sell something else, and keep the Stug III and run the JPIV as well since it'll be on sale. My only other tier VI is the KV3, and I still need lots of practice with it.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
The Is-7's bugged spaced armor on the top (above the wheels) is currently invulnerable for the most part. There's a youtube video of the test... if you want to damage it, shoot the hull that's being covered by the tracks. Of course, this means your shot will do less damage because it has to go through the track etc etc.

Also for the penetration... i've had it happen a lot on my obj 704 (people shooting me). I'd get a penned... and nothing happens. Don't lose health, module intact, etc. I think it might damage the a module but not enough to put it into yellow hp, but not sure how that works.

I think this is a bug with the spaced armor. If you pen the first layer, but not the second, your crew might say "penetration" but then nothing happens. I've had this a few times in my arty, where my crew says "penetration" but I still only hit in the ~600-900 range, while a true penetration is around 1500+ (tank usually dies).

Last edited:

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I'm about 3K XP away from unlocking the JPIV, I just might sell something else, and keep the Stug III and run the JPIV as well since it'll be on sale. My only other tier VI is the KV3, and I still need lots of practice with it.

Prepare for a TOUGH grind on the JPIV. It is the first tank I accelerated through gold conversion of exp. Absolutely painful even with the "best" gun.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I think this is a bug with the spaced armor. If you pen the first layer, but not the second, your crew might say "penetration" but then nothing happens. I've had this a few times in my arty, where my crew says "penetration" but I still only hit in the ~600-900 range, while a true penetration is around 1500+ (tank usually dies).

In clan wars we got a great laugh when my 261 crew announced the penetration and I did *15* damage to the enemy. 15!? Can you imagine what would have happened if I didn't shoot it with gold?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

Thing is I was getting those hits in my obj 704 BEFORE the spaced armor addition. (was sitting on the hill in mines... don't ask how i got there in the first place)

with the spaced armor maybe its possible you penned the first layer, and didn't pen 2nd layer so you only do 1/2 HE damage and the 2nd layer armor eats more HE damage.

Certainly makes sense, if you have (1500 / 2) - 100~ damage if you hit spaced armor, +- 25%...

Edit: With the IS-7, I believe they were testing with the back then T-30 as tier 10 heavy shooting into the side of the IS7. Definitely a bug, the gun should've obliterated the Is-7.

Llwellyn

Feb 29, 2012
Prepare for a TOUGH grind on the JPIV. It is the first tank I accelerated through gold conversion of exp. Absolutely painful even with the "best" gun.

Everything is a tough grind for me. I'm still learning proper strategy and where to hit tanks. I actually have played in a good while, but I've been making myself jump in every couple days and play 5 matches or so on certain tanks.

I tend to like the tank destroyers but I'm still not very good with them. I think some of the most fun I've had so far was with the Marder II and Hetzer. I sold them a long time ago, but I might grab them again, especially if slots go on sale again soon.

I've never really looked at my stats to see just how horrible I am, but I feel like I'm probably no where near a 50% rate on any vehicle, period.

I've been following this thread for months, but just registered here at the end of February.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Everything is a tough grind for me. I'm still learning proper strategy and where to hit tanks. I actually have played in a good while, but I've been making myself jump in every couple days and play 5 matches or so on certain tanks.

I tend to like the tank destroyers but I'm still not very good with them. I think some of the most fun I've had so far was with the Marder II and Hetzer. I sold them a long time ago, but I might grab them again, especially if slots go on sale again soon.

I've never really looked at my stats to see just how horrible I am, but I feel like I'm probably no where near a 50% rate on any vehicle, period.

I've been following this thread for months, but just registered here at the end of February.

A lot of the game revolves around getting into "good" spots. There are big open terrain which function as kill zones, and big bushy areas filled with hills that are great for going hull down. As you play more you'll find good spots that are absolutely worth dying over, and holding those spots usually result in a win. (hill in mines comes to mind, and middle island in Komarin).

You should jump into various different tanks to get a feel of how they play. Tank destroyers vary from nation to nation, and the various heavy/medium tank lines also differ greatly from nation to nation.

If you like playing sniper, you might enjoy the german heavy line or the top tier mediums (panther, panther II) as well. If you like to run-and-gun, nothing beats american and soviet mediums for firing on the go.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
If you like playing sniper, you might enjoy the german heavy line or the top tier mediums (panther, panther II) as well. If you like to run-and-gun, nothing beats american and soviet mediums for firing on the go.

Maybe this is why I suck, I'm using the wrong tanks for my playstyle.