[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 216 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Any enemy tank that is spotted can be seen by your tank up to the maximum view range which is about 650m.

Spotting, however, is a different beast. It basically works like this:

Take your tank's spotting range. Add in any bonuses from binocs, optics, and crew skills. Subtract off any penalties, such as the target's visibility (low for TDs, high for heavy tanks), the target's camo and target's crew skills. This will give you the spotting range for that tank. If the enemy is within that range AND within 500m he will be spotted. The important thing here is that having a spotting range of OVER 500m is still a good thing. Let's say after bonuses you have a spotting range of 600m. However, the target has modifiers that reduce it by 50%. That means you spot him at 300m. You'll never spot a tank beyond 500m, but having a high spotting range helps you burn past camouflage and will spot low visibility tanks at greater distances.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Dang, 900xp away from 2nd turret and 90mm gun on my Hellcat. I have to go to work now. Guess I'll have to wait until later tonight before I can enjoy the 90mm goodness.

1ceHacka

Mar 3, 2006
American heavies and mediums have no hull armor.

This isn't 100% true anymore. With my T110, I bounce a ton of shots. The only time I get feel worthless is when I'm nose to nose with another big tank. Then I know I'm in trouble because of the growth on my turret that has 0 armor and takes out my commander every shot basically.

Even the M103 has great angling on the hull now, even though its a thinner armor. I have really only been playing in my T110 on live since the update, but I on PTR the M103 was decent, although still the lesser of other Tier IX heavies.

Anyone grind out the Maus since the German heavy split? I only have the 3001P researched and wondered how the grind was up through the AUS tanks to the Maus nowadays.

1ceHacka

Mar 3, 2006
Any enemy tank that is spotted can be seen by your tank up to the maximum view range which is about 650m.

Spotting, however, is a different beast. It basically works like this:

Take your tank's spotting range. Add in any bonuses from binocs, optics, and crew skills. Subtract off any penalties, such as the target's visibility (low for TDs, high for heavy tanks), the target's camo and target's crew skills. This will give you the spotting range for that tank. If the enemy is within that range AND within 500m he will be spotted. The important thing here is that having a spotting range of OVER 500m is still a good thing. Let's say after bonuses you have a spotting range of 600m. However, the target has modifiers that reduce it by 50%. That means you spot him at 300m. You'll never spot a tank beyond 500m, but having a high spotting range helps you burn past camouflage and will spot low visibility tanks at greater distances.

Good explanation since I felt like a few people were saying the same thing, but thought the other person was wrong :p

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
This isn't 100% true anymore. With my T110, I bounce a ton of shots. The only time I get feel worthless is when I'm nose to nose with another big tank. Then I know I'm in trouble because of the growth on my turret that has 0 armor and takes out my commander every shot basically.

Even the M103 has great angling on the hull now, even though its a thinner armor. I have really only been playing in my T110 on live since the update, but I on PTR the M103 was decent, although still the lesser of other Tier IX heavies.

Anyone grind out the Maus since the German heavy split? I only have the 3001P researched and wondered how the grind was up through the AUS tanks to the Maus nowadays.

the e100 grind is more rewarding, up until you get the e100

i enjoyed the maus grind, as the 4502a is used as a quick flanker, and the 4502p while having the same gun as the maus, felt way more accurate than on the maus.

Tequila

Oct 24, 1999
Welcome to the game Tequila, just so you know the higher tier tanks play differently than the tier 1-3. My advice is to go the russian heavy line first. The KV is a beastly tier 5.

Thanks. Yea I started down the Russian BT line but realized I don't want to be playing scouts for such a long period before having the option of switching from T34 to KV-13. So I quit the BT line and went down the T-26 line so I can get a medium tank sooner. I'm actually having quite fun with the T-46 right now with the 76L10 gun. Makes a nice boomboom sound :) Almost ready for the T-28.

This is especially fun for me since I love WWII history and tanks. I've got a lot of play time out of strategy games like Panzer General, Allied General, Steel Panthers and lately Panzer Corps(an awesome remake of Panzer General). I love those games so it's really cool to actually hop into one of the numerous tanks and drive it around rather than just stare at a pretty icon on the board.

Just not sure if the slow speed of the KV will drive me nuts when I eventually get it.

I'm also liking the Marder II quite a lot. Just got 5 snipes on last map :) That's with the 50L60, I haven't got the 76L36 yet.

Last edited:

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Thanks. Yea I started down the Russian BT line but realized I don't want to be playing scouts for such a long period before having the option of switching from T34 to KV-13. So I quit the BT line and went down the T-26 line so I can get a medium tank sooner. I'm actually having quite fun with the T-46 right now with the 76L10 gun. Makes a nice boomboom sound :) Almost ready for the T-28.

This is especially fun for me since I love WWII history and tanks. I've got a lot of play time out of strategy games like Panzer General, Allied General, Steel Panthers and lately Panzer Corps(an awesome remake of Panzer General). I love those games so it's really cool to actually hop into one of the numerous tanks and drive it around rather than just stare at a pretty icon on the board.

Just not sure if the slow speed of the KV will drive me nuts when I eventually get it.

I'm also liking the Marder II quite a lot. Just got 5 snipes on last map :) That's with the 50L60, I haven't got the 76L36 yet.

You will find the KV annoyingly slow, especially without a 100% crew. The firepower and armor easily make up for it though. The added bonus is that the KV and KV-3 are each being split into 2 tanks. So if you have them when the next patch rolls out (who knows when that'll be), you'll get free tanks and garage slots.

I loved panzer general 3. I actually modded it a few times to make the campaigns longer. I'll have to try out panzer corps.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
During clanwars last night, I had two good games with my IS7. Clutch driving is freaking awesome. Spinning on my tracks to keep my nose to the active shooter is key. Typically speaking, gold rounds from tier 10 tanks do not bounce often unless you angle your tank just right. First game, my tank was penned two times and bounced 5 other shots, I went on and helped cap out a win. Second game, it took the enemy 13 shots to kill me.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
During clanwars last night, I had two good games with my IS7. Clutch driving is freaking awesome. Spinning on my tracks to keep my nose to the active shooter is key. Typically speaking, gold rounds from tier 10 tanks do not bounce often unless you angle your tank just right. First game, my tank was penned two times and bounced 5 other shots, I went on and helped cap out a win. Second game, it took the enemy 13 shots to kill me.

Yep clutch braking is a must have for pretty much any tank. It makes my object 212 turn just fast enough to make it bareable. Not to mention is really nice for the IS7/E75 to keep my front faced at the enemies. Nothing like thwarting an AMXs circling by turning as fast as he can circle you.

I miss clan wars atm. My clan is pulling out of our current area and starting anew in a different prime time that I can't attend. Guess I'll have to start the hunt for a new clan in the prime time area that I can attend. Its a shame since I like alot of my clan mates.

Only 10k more xp to go on my object 212 till the 261. Should easily get that tonight. I hope the 261 isn't dissapointing.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I didn't get it for my e-75 because I feel like terrain passability and faster repairs are more important. Most good AMxes will track you with the first shot and then unload on you, and the E-75 is a bad face hugger to begin with. If I get 100% on my 2nd skill that's definitely next on the list though.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
You will miss the amount of damage the 203 does. But the accuracy and reload speed makes up for it. Plus it is FAST.

The HE damage is still 1700 average. I can live with that, not much less than the 212. I might end up loading AP rounds though for the closer shots, assuming it turns about being as accurate as I hope. I guess I'll find out tonight.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
So apparently with the change in physical models the IS4 and IS7 got a stealth nerf. The lower profiles now angle the armor different and the hitboxes werent shrunk with the physical models. Meaning easier to hit weak spots and the armor isnt as effective. Funny when you consider the supposed russian bias. Of course it also happens right as I get the IS4 lol.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Watched a T110 annihilate an IS7 in a close encounter. The T110 has a scary gun.

[Edit]
P.S. KV3 with the 122mm gets horrible treatment from MM. Have to switch back to 107mm so I don't have to fight Tier 9 and 10 all the time.
[/Edit]

Last edited:

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
close encounters i always aim for the hatch as the angle of the lower glacis on the t110 is so angled it doesn't go thru all the time

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Watched a T110 annihilate an IS7 in a close encounter. The T110 has a scary gun.

[Edit]
P.S. KV3 with the 122mm gets horrible treatment from MM. Have to switch back to 107mm so I don't have to fight Tier 9 and 10 all the time.
[/Edit]

I facehugged an M103 and got owned in my IS4. I was too low to hit his hatch. The only reason I knocked 700 hp off him was because he was stupid enough to disengage me which allowed a shot on his lower glacis. Otherwise he was too fast for me to get away from the face hug. He could had beat me worse.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
I found (if I recall correctly...try at your own risk) that my Lowe can easilly pen the turret sides when facing the M103 frontally. Remember this is not your T29-offspring impenetrable turret.

BTW, I just saw my Lowe has Ace Tanker. A bit surprised, considering how many decent players are playing it.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
You will find the KV annoyingly slow, especially without a 100% crew. The firepower and armor easily make up for it though. The added bonus is that the KV and KV-3 are each being split into 2 tanks. So if you have them when the next patch rolls out (who knows when that'll be), you'll get free tanks and garage slots.

I loved panzer general 3. I actually modded it a few times to make the campaigns longer. I'll have to try out panzer corps.

i hate my kv so much i just play the mini maus

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
If the Lowe can do it so can the BL-9. I will have to figure out the weak spots on the M103's front turret then. Everything I have thrown at it frontally gets dinged. I am not hitting the right spot.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hmmm, I haven't played my 103 or 110 that much since the patch since I seem to ALWAYS get a crappy team with them. I'm having too much fun in the T30 and T34, which actually seem to get winning teams and they make good money.

My T110 win rate is a pathetic 22%. Every team I get on with that tank just sucks. The 103 is probably the same, but it inherited my old T34 stats so I cant see. :(

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
so is the T30 better now? the few people who've answered when i ask in game said "it feels right now"

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
so is the T30 better now? the few people who've answered when i ask in game said "it feels right now"
I like it now. It hits like a truck, which it always did, but now nobody expects me to be on the front lines trading blows with a Maus. I can hide in the bushes and blast people. So yeah, it feels right now but really it feels the same. The T34 plays about the same - neither can take a hit very well, but both of their guns should be feared. Turret rotation speed on both is slow but acceptable.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Yep clutch braking is a must have for pretty much any tank. It makes my object 212 turn just fast enough to make it bareable. Not to mention is really nice for the IS7/E75 to keep my front faced at the enemies. Nothing like thwarting an AMXs circling by turning as fast as he can circle you.

I miss clan wars atm. My clan is pulling out of our current area and starting anew in a different prime time that I can't attend. Guess I'll have to start the hunt for a new clan in the prime time area that I can attend. Its a shame since I like alot of my clan mates.

Only 10k more xp to go on my object 212 till the 261. Should easily get that tonight. I hope the 261 isn't dissapointing.

Yeah I got clutch braking for the T34 and WOW what a difference! The tank is still slow but now at least I can spin my hull around worth a damn.

I'll probably re-spec my other drivers to get this skill as well. Awesome.

Tequila

Oct 24, 1999
Man the grind to getting the KV was getting to me in my T-28 so I switched back to my Marder II and haven't looked back. Once I got it to elite status it's been xp farming time :) I have got 6k xp just from it that I can convert toward my KV goal. I'm going to hold here and not even bother with the hetzer. I'm going to focus on getting my crew to 100% and get all the perks and goodies.

Thing about the marder is finding the right spot. On some maps I just can't figure out where to go and I end up in a bad place and get killed right away. But on others I can sniff out the right spot and patiently wait for my kills to come right to me.