[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 215 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
I love the increased view range perk, but stuck to the old standbys of Camo and Repair. My super crew I took the wet ammo and clean engine perk and they seem to help decrease the frequency of dealing with those problems.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
what's considered "soft ground" though? Are grasses soft ground? Or is it just mushy swampy roads like swamp and the death valley on that one map? What about the grassy forest on the side of ruinsberg? Or how about the sand on any of the desert maps?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
what's considered "soft ground" though? Are grasses soft ground? Or is it just mushy swampy roads like swamp and the death valley on that one map? What about the grassy forest on the side of ruinsberg? Or how about the sand on any of the desert maps?

I took it as anything not pavement and that will reduce your speed.

Mar 10, 2005
i got bored so i fired up wot again and noticed a couple things:

with 100% crew, my 3001h has roughly the same range as a medieval long bow

overlord is leaving the wot forums for the wowp forums, leaving absolutely nobody from wargaming reading the NA forum

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
premium ran out :(

taking a month long break from WoT to get some work done...sigh. I miss pew pew already.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I took it as anything not pavement and that will reduce your speed.

My only reason for taking this perk was so I don't get stuck in the middle of the swamps much longer than I have to. ;)

I'm still on my break, need to finish my console games. (dark souls!)

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Some of my clan-mates tested the clutch braking skill & the consensus there seems to be that heavies, mediums, arty, and slow TDs (e.g., T95) should be taking this skill. The test they did indicated that T110 without clutch braking turned ~340deg in the time it took a T110 with clutch braking to turn 360deg.

Anecdotally, another guy reported his T30 w/clutch brake being able to turn with a T-44 (so that his gun stayed on target) that tried to circle him.

I haven't tried it yet b/c I went with smooth ride. But I may re-spec a tank or two and see how clutch braking feels.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Why wouldn't clutch breaking be useful for lights? They love mobility, dodging.

I dunno. I haven't heard about the applicability to light tanks yet. If anyone here has tried/tested it I'd definitely be interested.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Well, their moderator setup and judgement has a problem. Tonight I made a harmless joke in chat when I saw a couple mods were in the forum. 'New contest - whoever can break every chat rule in the fewest words wins! Just kidding, moderators.' Well, without a word, the moderator suspended my chat for 24 hours 'inciting rulebreaking' - in chat, and in game chat. I opened a support ticket that this was poor judgement as it was clearly kidding as stated; they said they'd agree with the moderator's action.

I recently made a similar joke with the new skills that 'they should add a skill, 'sneaky shot', to let you shoot teammates and not get caught'. Guess that was 'inciting' too.

So, be careful with the kidding.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Well, their moderator setup and judgement has a problem. Tonight I made a harmless joke in chat when I saw a couple mods were in the forum. 'New contest - whoever can break every chat rule in the fewest words wins! Just kidding, moderators.' Well, without a word, the moderator suspended my chat for 24 hours 'inciting rulebreaking' - in chat, and in game chat. I opened a support ticket that this was poor judgement as it was clearly kidding as stated; they said they'd agree with the moderator's action.

I recently made a similar joke with the new skills that 'they should add a skill, 'sneaky shot', to let you shoot teammates and not get caught'. Guess that was 'inciting' too.

So, be careful with the kidding.

You have to think about who these people deal with on a daily basis. After you think about that, its easy to see how they have little to no tolerance. At the lower tiers it seems they already have a problem with team damage, at least intentional team damage at the higher tiers seems rare. I have had a few occassions of intentional team damage (besides someone killing the loltraktor matched with a maus) and it easily ruin games.

On a side note I blasted a team mate in my object 212 accidentally on province. I was in arty god view and aiming and shot at an enemy (gives no indication if another tank if blocking your shot). I never saw my round, so I exited god mode, and sure enough a T34 is sitting about 20m infront of me, tracked and missing about 900hp. I apologized. Turns out I knocked out his gun, killed 2 crew, tracked him and left him with 40% of his hp. Needless to say I made 0 credits (actually lost 25k from repairs/ammo) for that round. I'm pretty sure that penalty didn't come close to making up what credits he would have made if I didn't accidently shoot him.

Also binocs on Province = win. The entire team can be spotted pretty much from your own spawn.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I never saw my round, so I exited god mode, and sure enough a T34 is sitting about 20m infront of me, tracked and missing about 900hp.

I never apologize for those shots, instead I say "How am I supposed to know you are there?" They actually apologize to me for spoiling my shot. I have held my fire when I was warned in chat that somebody was crossing in front.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
rofl happened to me before, i almost killed a heavy that moved in front of me while i was in god mode waiting for my crosshair to shrink before firing. he got all mad, i felt bad

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
What is your opinions on the perk that extends viewing range? I have had a game where I am being spotted way in the back of a base being arty'd to death right away in my IS4. Apparently their chafee was saying his viewing range was upwards of 700meters?
I couldnt dispute it. The arty was picking us off left and right and nobody could see their scout.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
I've gotten a bit better at handling the Pershing. Just have to stop treating it as a heavy.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
What is your opinions on the perk that extends viewing range? I have had a game where I am being spotted way in the back of a base being arty'd to death right away in my IS4. Apparently their chafee was saying his viewing range was upwards of 700meters?
I couldnt dispute it. The arty was picking us off left and right and nobody could see their scout.

I do believe the max spot range is 500m, as I dont think the game does spot calculations on tanks futher than that (been awhile since I've read the wiki crap). However your view range is modified by the tanks camo value and cover to determine if you can see him. So a higher view range will help you overcome camo/cover so you have a chance of spotting at 500m.

Scouts have good camo values, couple that with crew camo, cover, camo net, binocs and coated optics and he can probably hide in a bush and spot most of the map, while you'll need to get <100m from him to spot him. I've literally almost ran into AMXs on the enemy team before they were spotted. Its definately a WTF moment when a tank appears right infront of you from nowhere.

Its a damn good thing most scouts just run after arty near the start. Having a good passive scout keeping the enemy team lit for arty is very detrimental to the enemy team.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I do believe the max spot range is 500m, as I dont think the game does spot calculations on tanks futher than that (been awhile since I've read the wiki crap). However your view range is modified by the tanks camo value and cover to determine if you can see him. So a higher view range will help you overcome camo/cover so you have a chance of spotting at 500m.

Scouts have good camo values, couple that with crew camo, cover, camo net, binocs and coated optics and he can probably hide in a bush and spot most of the map, while you'll need to get <100m from him to spot him. I've literally almost ran into AMXs on the enemy team before they were spotted. Its definately a WTF moment when a tank appears right infront of you from nowhere.

Its a damn good thing most scouts just run after arty near the start. Having a good passive scout keeping the enemy team lit for arty is very detrimental to the enemy team.

To clear that up, no tanks I'm aware of hit the 500m range, because that's the range after camo.

I did some testing and even looking at a T34 sitting in an open field, with a range listed of about 500m, it was really only about 350m when he was seen.

So going above 500m in equiment - 600m or higher - all helped because the 'net' camo, no pun intended, was still under 500m. Get all the range you can - especially because you aren't just dealing with T34's sitting in an open field but tanks with more camo, skills, and hiding in bushes (which reduced the visible range to 50m).

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
So you can't "spot" tanks beyond 500 meters, but you can still "see" them until about 650m. I've personally sniped at tanks across the map at > 600m (according to the targeting numbers in sniper mode), but never anything > 700m.

Tequila

Oct 24, 1999
Great, I just had to read this thread a few days ago.

And click on the link.

And try the game.

Now..

I'm totally addicted!! OMG grr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I've heard people say in game now certain perks are making it easier to spot camoed tanks. Its not that the distance has been increased past 500m but that its easier to see them below the 500m. I haven't tested this. I been playing the T-49 and now the Hellcat exclusively but my crew doesn't have camo skills yet because they haven't reached 100% so my camo skills are zero beyond the normal camo net and whatever the rating is for the TD, which is less than ratings on fixed gun TDs. I'am being spotted easier but I'm guessing it is due to no camo training yet among my crew. I did play my Slugger in a couple fights (they have 100% camo training) since patch and hadn't noticed anything but a couple fights spread over four days doesn't really say much.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
So you can't "spot" tanks beyond 500 meters, but you can still "see" them until about 650m. I've personally sniped at tanks across the map at > 600m (according to the targeting numbers in sniper mode), but never anything > 700m.

I do believe the game engine only does "spot" check calculations on tanks <500m from you, so you'll never spot anything beyond that, no matter how high your view range is. You can "see" tanks spotted by others up to 734m (going off memory, so might be off by a slight amount), thats the max range the engine will draw the tank on your screen, and that range is also effected by your game settings (so if you play on low, you might not even see tanks spotted at <500m). I've hit tanks around 650-700m before, but at that range the red highlight doesnt show up. Your cursor does still change color (red/yellow/green), which is the only indication you get, and its basically all luck after that.

Welcome to the game Tequila, just so you know the higher tier tanks play differently than the tier 1-3. My advice is to go the russian heavy line first. The KV is a beastly tier 5.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Oh and play russian lines, because apparently they're very OP and their guns and armor are made from God. :D /joke

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Again, you can see tanks yourself up to 500m net - so you might have gear with a view of 600m or more but not see a tank 400m away.

But you can see tanks further than 500m net from the radio of another tank who has them spotted.