[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 214 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
I did not really have much on it. I will rebuy it once I have some credits to start with a stabilizer, rammer and the second 90mm right away.

ginfest

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2000
Soviet line is underpowered? LOL... wow if that doesn't really show how biased the developers I don't know what else could.

QFT- I've been saying that since beta. Of course I mentioned it here one time and the Wargaming defenders rose to shout it down, same as on the official forums :(

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dind ding ding, why I put that subtle reference in, now that people blurted it out.

Whew. Because I don't bother with the internet on April 1st and it wasn't April 1st yet... I figured the Ratte was their April 1st joke this year.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I got 7 consecutive losses in my new Pershing...I suppose I just don't play mediums well. It has no armor, same basic gun as the T20 but it is much slower. sure it is agile...which doesn't give you much as anything can penetrate and you're a big target.

Basically, it has no obvious strong stats that I can use. Am I wrong? what am I doing wrong anyway?

I sold it for now, I couldn't even make a profit off of it so decided to grind a couple of moneymakers first, by going back to my roots - getting the T49 and the M18 later today.

When I'll be a bit more experienced I'll go back to it. I did well in the T20 but it had much better matchmaking.
You sold a 2.1m credit tank so that you could make money? Huh? You just lost well over a million credits by doing that.

American heavies and mediums have no hull armor. You have to play them differently. The pershing isn't a bad tank. It's global win ratio is higher than most american tanks.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Nah, I sold it to concentrate on other lines :) It can wait. I don't mind the credits much. I'm liking the T49 - think I will keep it. Will try the M18 in a bit.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
QFT- I've been saying that since beta. Of course I mentioned it here one time and the Wargaming defenders rose to shout it down, same as on the official forums :(

You have yet to respond to why all the high tier soviet tanks are more or less inferior to the german or american lines. Or are you going to go back to talking about the tiger and cherry pick your arguments again? I'd agree with you if we were still in beta, but that's well over a year ago. So read your patch notes and stop being ignorant.

PS: you missed the april fools joke part of the dev comments.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I found a file on my SSD "worldoftanks.exe.1.dmp" 1.4GB.

I asked WoT about it and they said 'it looks like a dump file you can delete it'.

ginfest

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2000
You have yet to respond to why all the high tier soviet tanks are more or less inferior to the german or american lines. Or are you going to go back to talking about the tiger and cherry pick your arguments again? I'd agree with you if we were still in beta, but that's well over a year ago. So read your patch notes and stop being ignorant.

PS: you missed the april fools joke part of the dev comments.

First, I understood the April Fools joke very well. But it doesn't negate the fact that the soviet line is specced to be superior. I'm not going to type you a story, all it takes is to read some of the posts in this thread about the T59 and IS4-7.
You want proof yet claim you have never seen any advantage in the game for the russian line? Here's one, based on real life armor and ordinance characteristics, how can the T9-T10 US tanks have such thin hulls, yet the russian equivalents don't? Here's a clue-the developers set the game up that way to give them an unfair advantage. German is another line. Any frontal shot will kill the engine etc, yet the godly IS4-7 bounce 128mm AP rounds all day off the front. And so on.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The pershing is a very good Medium tank once fully upgraded. I find you do have to use it a bit differently than some mediums. You do not want to face hug brawl with it. You'll end up dead fast that way. Better to circle and strafe or play peek-a-boo type brawling or get on the enemy's rear and hump and shoot that way. Otherwise stay back and use it's mobility and gun. Stay away from the enemy's front and gun as much as possible.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
man the autoloaders even with the nerf are still lethal
i finally bought the vents, GLD and VS
and it made a WORLD of diff for french autoloaders

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Devs have been selective about putting real world features and characteristics into the game.

German vehicles transmission upfront and vulnerable to lower hull plate fire causing hits=check.

French vehicles need to be unmanned (read stationary) while reloading= nope.

In Russian tanks, I can't even count how many times tank/arty shells flew over barely missing, due to their low profile. American and German tanks are huge targets. Even if German tanks have great frontal armor, it's a moot point, the cupola is easy to hit, even from distance.

I know I got vast majority of my steel walls in Russian tanks. Unlike the German and Russian counterparts, they don't really have weak spots above the hull. A T-29 may seem like trouble when it's hull down (very situational) but shooting the "ears" negates that occasional advantage as well.

I am not so sure it's bias but I do know that Russian tanks simply fare better. Their "on paper" disadvantages such as accuracy and view range don't translate very well in the game, considering the average shooting distance and other in game factors that negate them.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
But it doesn't negate the fact that the soviet line is specced to be superior. I'm not going to type you a story, all it takes is to read some of the posts in this thread about the T59 and IS4-7.

Type 59 is chinese. Yes, it's based off the t-54 but putting the tank in was the result of pressure from their chinese partners. The tank is annoying, but get your facts straight.

IS-4 is a tough nut to crack, but the E-75 is superior in almost every way shape and form, I should know since I have both. The T-34 was the worst of the tier 9 pack since it has a squishy hull but it has since been switched out. I haven't been playing the past few days so I don't know how the M103 or whatever matches up against other tier 9s.

IS-7 is fairly balanced for a tier 10, and you need to learn how to fight one. I'd argue a Maus is more dangerous in every way possible except in clan wars, where mobility is king.

Over all, the only people who say IS-4 and 7 are OP are the ones that have no idea how to fight one. I prefer fighting an IS-4 over an E-75 or a hulled down T-34 any day.

You want proof yet claim you have never seen any advantage in the game for the russian line? Here's one, based on real life armor and ordinance characteristics, how can the T9-T10 US tanks have such thin hulls, yet the russian equivalents don't?

Here's your "proof". American tank specs:

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/usa/tanks-heavy/t29-t30-t32.asp

Read it. 4" = 10cm = 100~ mm, and the plates are NOT SLOPED HEAVILY. The T-series are the same tank with different guns, with the T-32 being a bigger pershing, so they all have around 100mm worth of armor. In contrast, the IS-3 had 110mm and the IS4 has 160mm (nerfed to 140 in game with 100mm driver hatch). The IS-7 has 150mm heavily sloped pike nose armor. I'm not sure where you're getting these made up "facts" about american tanks having superior armor at all, in all aspects the soviet tanks have MORE armor. American tanks were known to have extremely poor armor in WW2, and german steel were of a superior quality.

German is another line. Any frontal shot will kill the engine etc, yet the godly IS4-7 bounce 128mm AP rounds all day off the front. And so on.

Soviet tanks have ammo racks under the headlights and every one of their mediums will explode if you shoot the side turret. I'll take my engine damage over a blown ammo rack, thanks.

IS-4 and the IS-7 have HUGE frontal weakspots that are regularly penetrated by tier 9 guns, and prior to the armor normalization the IS-7 was the laughing stock of tier 10 tanks.

Nothing short of a tier 10 gun can get through the E-75's lower glacis, and a very lucky tier 9 roll might be able to on a good day. If you think the Is-4 is ridiculous, you need to fight an E-75. Show me an IS-4 that can bounce 128mm rounds all day and I'll show you an idiot that can't aim at the weak spot that covers half of the IS-4's frontal UPPER glacis (weaker than the lower glacis!) or the side ammo racks.

The problem is so bad most people prefer to angle their tanks sideways so the SIDE ARMOR can bounce shots that the driver's hatch can't. Even then the shoulders are only 140mm, and they'll get penned by tier 8 guns reliably.

Here's where I see you need to learn to play. You seem to not know how to hull down, how to flank, nor how to shoot the weak spots on the russian tanks. Or haven't logged on in a very very long time. Or both.

PS: I like the german line much more than the russian line. The tanks are simply better and much more rewarding in able hands, period.

German vehicles transmission upfront and vulnerable to lower hull plate fire causing hits=check.

German vehicles have frontal transmission. It's (annoyingly) historically accurate. Moving it to the back or eliminating it would be completely off basis. But I'd say the front of the IS tanks are a bit more problematic, the weak frontal lower glacis usually houses 2 ammo racks.

French vehicles need to be unmanned (read stationary) while reloading= nope.

Wouldn't it be kind of silly to have french tanks that can fire a total of 12 rounds and then be done with the round? Also the AMX13-90 takes around 75 seconds to reload a clip. Just a thought.

Even if German tanks have great frontal armor, it's a moot point, the cupola is easy to hit, even from distance.

Nope. Try to hit an E-75 copula from a distance greater than 100 meters, I'll buy you a drink if you hit it. Even with the L75/100, the most accurate gun in the whole game, it's nigh impossible to hit from 200m+. Any misses or grazes and you end up hitting the 200mm+ thick turret or scratching their turret due to a critical glance. At least make your outlandish claims more believable, the copula's only a big target when you're face hugging.

A T-29 may seem like trouble when it's hull down (very situational) but shooting the "ears" negates that occasional advantage as well.

When was the last time you played? This was changed months ago, way back when they first introduced all the normalized armor changes. T-29 now has exactly two weak spots on its big turret: The big copula on the back, the cheeks if you have a 220+ pen gun.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
That actually reinforces my point. Granted, I haven't encountered T-29's much lately but their hull down advantage is a very rare situation, I didn't have to shoot the ears, just shot the hull.

Your point about cupola being hard to hit is valid yet most tank encounters in WOT are dogfights, some of the "facehugging" variety. I made tons of credits by shooting German high tier tanks in the hatch, especially in my lower tier tanks. I would much rather have a dog fight with any of the German tanks and shoot the cupola than face a Russian tank and "pray" I can pen them.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Well I'm liking most of the new patch so far. I did happen to like my old OTM. I do miss the "BLOW UP" on the ammo racked tanks, and I'm not a fan of the damage being added together now when multiple tanks hit. The M103 and the T110 are much harder to pen than the T34 and T30. When head on you have to hit the lower glacias or the cupola (decently large on T110). The Cupola on the T110 doesn't seem all that vulnerable though, especially to lower tiers, It is curved and I have bounced off it a couple of times in my IS7 at <50m. Overall I think they are a good improvement for the American line.

The T34 is my first premium tank, and wow, holy crap does is puke out credits. I made back the cost of a rammer, vents, vert stab in no time plus some. I'm glad I picked up two extra garage slots when they were on sale, b/c I'm going to be able to afford some new tanks. I've only broke 100k credits on it a few times, but 50-85k is easily doable. Best part is I dont mind being thrown into tier 10 matches with this tank. The gun can pen tier 10s, and hurting them = butloads of cash.

I also continued my grind on my object 212. I'm now only 38k xp away from the object 261. I have enough free xp that I could unlock it, but I'm just going to save that for a rainy day and grind out that last 38k. I'm really looking forward to seeing how much more accurate the 261 is.

The best new skill so far is clutch braking for your driver. The added turning speed is noticable on all my tanks. My E75 turns like a medium with this skill maxed. I could keep my front pointed at a tier 7 amx that tried to circle me, and I lauged as he bounced every shot, while I took my time to get my 2 shots off to kill him. I did get eagle eye on my E75 commander(only crew currently with 3 skills), however I find its usefullness laking. Mentor and sixth sense are much more beneficial. I did get BiA for most my tanks, and while its nice, I wouldn't advise getting it without already having repair.

I already got my Ace badges for my IS7, Object212 and E75, which are the main tanks that I play. So I'm happy with that. Wasn't even that hard.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Nothing short of a tier 10 gun can get through the E-75's lower glacis, and a very lucky tier 9 roll might be able to on a good day. If you think the Is-4 is ridiculous, you need to fight an E-75. Show me an IS-4 that can bounce 128mm rounds all day and I'll show you an idiot that can't aim at the weak spot that covers half of the IS-4's frontal UPPER glacis (weaker than the lower glacis!) or the side ammo racks.
It's all about angling. The IS4 can not be straight on and live, that drivers port is just a huge weakspot. Angled 45 off center and it will bounce EVERYTHING.

The glaring weakspot that an e75 and almost all tanks have except a few such as the tier 10's AND IS4 is the commanders hatch. No matter how you angle the E75, I will keep smacking that hatch for a hit.

The E75 also has at least one frontal view port that I have repeatedly penned.

My final statement on this is: Since the developers have repeatedly said this is not a simulation, they should put in a weakspot in ALL tanks from all angles so that a comparable tank can duel it.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I already got my Ace badges for my IS7, Object212 and E75, which are the main tanks that I play. So I'm happy with that. Wasn't even that hard.

Ace seems ridiculously easy to get. I got it on my MS1 in epic style (9 kills) so that seemed legit. My KV went up the ranks with successive wins, so that seemed legit. Then I played my M3 Lee... horrible loss, horrible win, awesome win... tank ace. Really, a ~2000 (premium) averaged with a ~100 and a ~400 = top 1%?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Retired my IS3 last night with a 62% win rate, 80% hit ratio, 157 games and 215 kills and an Ace Badge. IS4 through 4 games, 50% win rate, 7 kills, 83% hit ratio, 75% survival rate :D Cant wait to get the S-70 in about 50 games.

I dont know about the soviet bias. I will say having driven a Tiger II enough to get the E75. I think the IS3 is a better tank in game. There isnt anything I couldnt do in it better than the Tiger II. Even the supposed BL-9s lack of accuracy didnt hold up. The Tiger II had a 78% hit ratio vs the 80% in my IS3. Now some of that could had been due to me finally getting good at this game. I dont know. Someday I will get an E75 and I can directly compare it vs the IS4. But I will say in my IS3 both tanks were beatable with the BL-9 where in my Tiger II both were nearly inpenetrable from the front with the long 105. I regularily dueled IS4s to death in my IS3. Killed two IS4s yesterday in a single match yesterday. One from range, the other in a duel where he started form 90% and I killed him brawling. That would never happen in my KT.

Last edited:

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
It's all about angling. The IS4 can not be straight on and live, that drivers port is just a huge weakspot. Angled 45 off center and it will bounce EVERYTHING.

The glaring weakspot that an e75 and almost all tanks have except a few such as the tier 10's AND IS4 is the commanders hatch. No matter how you angle the E75, I will keep smacking that hatch for a hit.

My final statement on this is: Since the developers have repeatedly said this is not a simulation, they should put in a weakspot in ALL tanks from all angles so that a comparable tank can duel it.

The E75 hatch is pretty damn hard to hit if he's moving, and at range, good luck with that. The IS4 can still be penned frontally when angled. If you shoot the front corner angled towards you, it can be penned, and if I remember correctly an ammo rack spot lies underneath that. Fighting anyone that doesn't have a tier10 gun though, and they will bounce all day long.

The IS's do have superior hull down positions compared to all the tanks in the game. The hatch is so small, it might as well not exist. And all tanks have front weakspots (when fighting equal tiered tanks at least) that I can think of, even the dreaded T95.

Also the tops of the IS series tanks is alot less armored compared to the german series. I can pen the top of the ISs in my arty with HE, while it is very rare that I do that to the german heavies. The higher turret makes it harder to hit the squishy top rear of the german heavies to pen, while its pretty easy to do on the lower sitting ISs. I've one shotted more IS4/7s than I can count in my arty, while I've only seen 4 figure damage on E100/Maus/E75 maybe a handful of times, and I've never one shotted one. The only german tanks that are easy to one shot are the mediums (p2 and E50). (please note I use the 203mm on the tier 7 object 212, with 102pen and 1800 average damage, mileage may vary when fighting tier 8 arty).

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

What distance are you engaging those E-75s? The commander's hatch is on top of the turret and about 1/10th the size of the 252mm thick turret. I'm calling BS if you're engaging those tanks at 200-300M and repeatedly hitting it.

If you angled 45 degrees, the shoulders on the IS4 become a big weakspot. Granted it's smaller than the driver hatch but if something hits you on that spot, it WILL pen and possibly damage your ammo. Pretty sure that spot doesn't have spaced armor either, I always shoot it for guaranteed pen with t9 guns (much less tier 10). It's big and flat and not very angled.

I've found the frontal view port is not really a weak spot. I've tried it initially but found that if you're close enough to aim for the little viewport, you can hit the commander's copula much easier. If you're shooting down into it from a hill or something I can see it penetrating though.

Also I find IS series to be terrible in a hull down position. They have no vertical turret traverse at all, and they're so low that many potholes are too high for them to look over. Not saying germans are much better, but hulling down is something best done in an american tank.

That actually reinforces my point. Granted, I haven't encountered T-29's much lately but their hull down advantage is a very rare situation, I didn't have to shoot the ears, just shot the hull.

Your point about cupola being hard to hit is valid yet most tank encounters in WOT are dogfights, some of the "facehugging" variety. I made tons of credits by shooting German high tier tanks in the hatch, especially in my lower tier tanks. I would much rather have a dog fight with any of the German tanks and shoot the cupola than face a Russian tank and "pray" I can pen them.

Not.... really? If you constantly find T-29s in non hulled down positions you're fighting the average bad driver. There are spots on almost every map where a T-29 can hull down and cover a big vantage point.

And if you're face hugging everything you're really doing it wrong. You'll rarely find me in a situation, barring city fights, where I'm facehugging. Facehugging does 2 things:

1) Limits your mobility and view
2) opens up tons of weak spots on your tank where they would normally be hard to hit.

Which is bad for normally near-impenetrable tanks like the E-75. I only actively try to do this in American tanks.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
For the new skills I took the increased movement over soft ground, didn't take clutch breaking on my german tanks but will do it on my soviet ones. Nothing really shone to me over repair/camoflauge though, I still think those 2 are the most important ones minus the increased view range ones.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I like the deadeye perk. Think that could be deadly. Once I train up those other perks. I will get repair back. Holy crap being tracked and waiting for the crew to repair sucks now.

I also took the increased movement over soft ground.