[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 52 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

beni9n

Jan 4, 2011
Careful . . . Binoculars are transferable but optics are not. Optics gives you +10% at all times. Binoculars give you (I think) +20%, but you need to be sitting still to use them.

I'm wondering about the value of camo and binocs on tanks vs other modules like ventilation, gun laying drive, and the aim speed one. I can definitely see the value of camo and binocs on tank destroyers but for regular tanks, I'm not so sure.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
now that i have 4 tanks, xp is starting to come quicker, it's so much easier leveling up the russian line

1ceHacka

Mar 3, 2006
now that i have 4 tanks, xp is starting to come quicker, it's so much easier leveling up the russian line

What part of the russian line? I am hating the KV with a passion right now. Its probably because I chose to go the route of the 152mm instead of the 107mm.

I had an awesome game last night in my T1 Heavy though. Ended up turning a corner and facing 3 Churchills, a Stug, and a Pzf III-IV. I'll admit I may have gotten lucky with some bounces. I ended up taking them all out 1v5. The Stug was the first to go as I figured he had the best chance to penetrate my armor. I then got a 1 shot on another medium that was guarding their flag for 6 total in the battle. I ended up at about 40% hp and took 34 hits during the battle. The very next battle I got 1 shot by a Jadg TD. I love this game!

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Aw balls i knew there would be something to screw this up, you have to pay to play with a friend. Son. Of. A. Bitch. That really ticks me off, yeah im a cheapskate but im also valuable cannon fodder for those that actually pay in their bigger tanks, they're not gonna get far forcing people to pay for basic stuff like joining a game with your friend.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
What part of the russian line? I am hating the KV with a passion right now. Its probably because I chose to go the route of the 152mm instead of the 107mm.

The 152 requires a very different playstyle vs the 107. The 152 is a one hit kill on anything tier 5 and below... kills even the beta sherman in 1 hit. But it takes 30 seconds to reload... rumble around with some support so they can fend off mobs and you'll love the derp gun. Just don't try to snipe with it, it's a breakthrough gun not a support gun.

The pay to platoon thing gets me too. I have a friend that absolutely refuses to pay and I myself am waiting for the new patch to see if the needed changes to spotting gets implemented.... so in the mean time we can't play with each other.

It's a pretty common complaint on the boards as well, it's the only game I know that requires you to pay to play with friends. (minus all the subscription based mmos, of course) I know $15 a month isn't very much, but I see the premium account as an advantage for leveling and you shouldn't be penalized with the inability to play with friends if you don't pay. After all, if you solo you'll quickly hit the dreaded tier 3/4 wall where you'll be ramming your bt-7 into the other team's tiger in frustration.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005

i started german trying to get the maus, then decided i hated german since i hit the level 3-4 wall and my gun wasn't damaging shit

i started from scratch last night and got to the t46 before i called it a night, i'm just trying to get my t28 with the big cannon, then the KV, i used the 152mm also, i tend to hang back and take pot shots with it, i never earned enough to get the 107mm before the beta ended. oh and this is w/o premium

right now i'm going russian heavy + AT, german medium and american spg.
i should concentrate on 1 to max it but im spreading it across all as i play

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
For those that are going up the Russian Heavy line should be aware it doesnt get good until you get to the upgraded IS3. Thats when it starts to get fun. Although I did like the KV3 because you could make decently good money win or lose. The tanks are pretty much out classed in fights due to how the match ups are set up. I went all the way up to IS4 in beta and my thoughts are that most people wont enjoy the line until the IS3. From the KV1 on its a long slow climb even with premium.

This time around I'm not going Russian Heavy. So far I'm doing German Heavy and Russian Medium. I'm about to branch off to the German Medium as well. Working on getting the PzIII elite so I can do the split there. I do plan to go American Heavy and probably Medium line but so far haven't started doing that yet. Been too busy playing the German and Russian tanks. I do have the American Heavy M6 from the preorder and its a lot of fun and makes really good money. I been using it to fund a lot of other tanks and their upgrades.

So right now I almost have the PzIII elite so I can split off to the Pz III/IV and PzIV. Working on getting the BT7 elite before moving onto the A20. This time around I'm making all of the tanks elite. Not sure why. I didn't last time. This time I'm just taking my time and enjoying them more fully I guess. I'm not feeling as rushed and I really do enjoy the lower and middle tier battles.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
when using spg's
are you supposed to aim with your crosshair? or the dot at the center of the circle?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I'm not sure you can "enjoy" the bt-7 when it always gets matched up against tier 6s. I can barely dent a PIII, much less PIVs and KVs and tigers.

The a-20 is even worse, I can't seem to get into a winning game for the life of me. Did 10 games last night and won twice on the A-20, half the time I'm wondering what the hell to do vs those tigers sitting on the other side of the fence. Of course, the answer is to drive across the field and hope they're shooting at someone else... and then explode.

Earned a total of about 1k exp because I can't do diddily squat... :D

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
when using spg's
are you supposed to aim with your crosshair? or the dot at the center of the circle?

You want to put the dot on the far side of the target for best results. The shell will land on the dot (hopefully). However, since the shell isn't falling straight down, but at an angle, this will make the path of the shell slice an arc through the turret of the tank. This improves your chance of hitting. You will hit a bigger cross section of the tank.

Code:
     |----/--|
     |  /    |
___ .|/      |___    Aiming behind

|--./---|
     | /     |
____/|       |___    Aiming centered

You will notice that tanks on a reverse slope (sloping down away from you) are very difficult to hit. This is because the slope follows the arc of your shell. On the other hand, tanks on the front of a slope will be much easier to hit because it negates the dispersion from the shot's trajectory.

1ceHacka

Mar 3, 2006
I'm not sure you can "enjoy" the bt-7 when it always gets matched up against tier 6s. I can barely dent a PIII, much less PIVs and KVs and tigers.

The a-20 is even worse, I can't seem to get into a winning game for the life of me. Did 10 games last night and won twice on the A-20, half the time I'm wondering what the hell to do vs those tigers sitting on the other side of the fence. Of course, the answer is to drive across the field and hope they're shooting at someone else... and then explode.

Earned a total of about 1k exp because I can't do diddily squat... :D

What I try and do in my Light when I get paired into higher tier battles, is just scout. I try to make sure that I get to my spot near the enemy before that tiger gets to his spot in the bushes. Plus, I don't think a tiger could track an A-20 at full speed. Honestly I rarely ever get kills unless I manage to completely get by the enemy and get to their arty. My experience comes purely from detection and some damage from popping shots. Lighting up the enemy for your sniper heavies or arty is often far better for the team than your personal kills.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
What I try and do in my Light when I get paired into higher tier battles, is just scout. I try to make sure that I get to my spot near the enemy before that tiger gets to his spot in the bushes. Plus, I don't think a tiger could track an A-20 at full speed. Honestly I rarely ever get kills unless I manage to completely get by the enemy and get to their arty. My experience comes purely from detection and some damage from popping shots. Lighting up the enemy for your sniper heavies or arty is often far better for the team than your personal kills.

The problem with that approach is that as you advance in tiers, the guns get more and more accurate and the shell speed increases so you don't have to lead as much. Its true the tiger can't track you at full speed..... but only if you're close enough to it. I've sniped enough leopards and a-20s to know. ;)

Here's the catch 22...

If you're scouting out early, your sniper tanks won't be in positions and your arty might not have even loaded their shells yet.

Then... you must be fast enough to scout, but in cases where you need to be fast the tanks are usually big enough to have accurate guns that will kill you easily from a distance. Plus you'll usually be traversing through the open in order to get to enemy positions, giving TDs more than enough time to wreck you.

You're right though, most of my exp is from detection and the occasional pot shots. Yesterday I rammed myself into 2 arties and killed them both, was the most satisfying thing I've done.

Of course the other team had a KV-3 that nobody on our team could hurt so that game didn't end well for us either... >_>

1ceHacka

Mar 3, 2006
The problem with that approach is that as you advance in tiers, the guns get more and more accurate and the shell speed increases so you don't have to lead as much. Its true the tiger can't track you at full speed..... but only if you're close enough to it. I've sniped enough leopards and a-20s to know. ;)

Here's the catch 22...

If you're scouting out early, your sniper tanks won't be in positions and your arty might not have even loaded their shells yet.

Then... you must be fast enough to scout, but in cases where you need to be fast the tanks are usually big enough to have accurate guns that will kill you easily from a distance. Plus you'll usually be traversing through the open in order to get to enemy positions, giving TDs more than enough time to wreck you.

You're right though, most of my exp is from detection and the occasional pot shots. Yesterday I rammed myself into 2 arties and killed them both, was the most satisfying thing I've done.

Of course the other team had a KV-3 that nobody on our team could hurt so that game didn't end well for us either... >_>

Yeah I can't speak for anything over Tier 7 really. I play mostly in the T5-6 range and if I get a tiger or an IS in the battle its always top dog.

The best thing in this game is ramming an arty to track him, and then shooting his rear as he sits helpless. You know the guy on the other end of that is furious at that point.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
So I'm starting my game up again...from scratch obviously.

Thinking of going Russian TD. American Heavy. German Medium and American Arty.

(My main reasons for this are Russians Heavies are Overplayed..and I got up to Tiger II heavy in beta)

Thoughts? Concerns?

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I played a Leo in Beta back when the scout was one of the most successful, if not most successful, type of play a person could in making money. Then they fixed the graphic bug and scouting changed drastically. I stopped playing the Leo. Now in release I'm running the Pz3, BT7 and A20. I been doing pretty good with them as scouts. The Pz3 is probably the best because its gun can one shot some arty types whereas the BT7 requires a few shots to do the same damage. I just got the A20 last night so I have yet to seen its full potential since they changed the tier match ups. I played scout back before the current tier match up system. Playing under the newer system I can say its not as bad as it once was as a scout and the old system. I'm guessing the 75mm gun on the A20 will be nice but that remains to be seen.

In the old days the typical scout plan was race in kamikaze style from the second the countdown timer said 0. Now I'm waiting anywhere from two to four minutes after fight starts. I let the enemy rushers come in first and get taken out. Thin the lines a bit as they say. Then I go in looking for enemy arty. I been doing pretty good with it as a strategy. Occasionally I'll rush in at zero on certain maps that have a long run but for most fights I wait a bit.

When in battles with big tanks and no arty things don't favor the small scout at all. I adjust by scouting very timidly or not at all. Usually what I do is use my tank to harass and distract the enemy tanks. Big tanks love to shoot the little guy because of the easy kill so the scout seems to attract lots of their attention. Which is what I'm trying to do. If they are shooting at me that gives team mates a chance to shoot at them. Yeah, I usually die, often one shotted, but if the team wins the match I'm happy. What I really like to do if I can is find a tank that has put himself in a position where he can only go forward and park right in front of him so he cant move, effectively pinning him into place. I laugh when they complain about that. I'm dead but I'm laughing at them nonetheless.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Is matchmaking the same for KV3 as it is for the KV or does it get put in much higher tier matches most of the time?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Picked up my T20. Running a 90% crew (50% repair) with the 76mm M1A2. It's painful... but I have 4k free exp so I'm half way to my Suspension already.

Still got my heavily upgraded Easy 8. Will replace the crew with 75%'ers as soon as funds allow.

1ceHacka

Mar 3, 2006
Picked up my T20. Running a 90% crew (50% repair) with the 76mm M1A2. It's painful... but I have 4k free exp so I'm half way to my Suspension already.

Still got my heavily upgraded Easy 8. Will replace the crew with 75%'ers as soon as funds allow.

I'm finding most things to be painful right now. I just got my PzKpfw IV last night...played a few games before I had to shutdown for the night before I cried. Its such a terrible tank stock. I've read that it gets much better with the 75mm long gun and suspension...hoping that is true.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
I'm finding most things to be painful right now. I just got my PzKpfw IV last night...played a few games before I had to shutdown for the night before I cried. Its such a terrible tank stock. I've read that it gets much better with the 75mm long gun and suspension...hoping that is true.

It really is a horrible tank. However. Once you get the turret and Long 75 you will be VERY happy. However it's terrible until then.

Also...check our the armor difference between the IV and the VKH;p I loved my VKH.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Can someone do me a favour and check for a player called 'Exakter' on the US Server?

Wanna see if he's playing and drag him to the EU Server! :D

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004

Once its got the bigger gun, the one that looks like it should be mounted on a panther the panzer IV is a danger to KV's. So it gets better :thumbsup:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

Everything is better with a 75mm L/70. :)

Meanwhile, back on my a-20..... absolutely horrendously painful grinds. I'm debating purchasing $1-2 worth of gold just so I can transfer some free exp and get the hell out of this tank already. Seriously, this tank makes me want to punch kittens. At least you only need about 5k exp to get out of the bt-7...

As for anyone with some experience with the russian TDs, how are the SU-85 and SU-100s?